Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Does anyone wlse not really consider Watchmen DC? (34 votes)

Yes 44%
No 53%

I mean it was published under DC but it was basically an independent comic. It was a lot darker than other DC comics

#1 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it was published by DC. Therefore it is a DC comic, no matter what the tone. If the question was "Does Watchmen have a different tone than other DC Comics?" The answer would be an obvious yes.

#2 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

it was its own entity just like vertigo and wildstorm characters were independent of DC at one point

#3 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think of DC comics Watchmen doesn't come into mind so in that sense yes, but technically is is considered a DC comic. So yes it is a DC comic, no I don't really think of it as a DC comic.

#4 Edited by tupiaz (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

It is Allan Moore's work and he got screwed by DC and it has nothing to do with DC's universes. Also what do you what to have answered? I don't think this is a question about how wise you are but how you view creators rights. Do you want my opinion if I think Watchmen belongs to DC or do you want to know if I think only wise people think it doesn't belong to DC? Maybe I' over thinking this.

#5 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8004 posts) - - Show Bio

It was DC but not part of the Universe.

#6 Edited by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a part of the DC Multiverse. And as for the tone, DC elseworlds stories have mostly been dark so that argument is invalid.

#7 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

It's DC

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34959 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you pepole talking about? Watchmen is 100% a DC comic with DC characters

#9 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

DC doesn't automatically mean DCU

#10 Posted by RustyRoy (13842 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a part of the DC Multiverse. And as for the tone, DC elseworlds stories have mostly been dark so that argument is invalid.

#11 Edited by longbowhunter (7696 posts) - - Show Bio

Here Here

#12 Posted by RDClip (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

It was published by DC and Moore was working for DC while writing it for DC. Just because it doesn't take place in the DCU, doesn't mean that it isn't a DC book. It would be like saying since Marvel doesn't have fantasy princesses and musical animals, it isn't part of Disney.

#13 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, but the question is pertaining to DC. A lot of titles that DC published are not set in the main DCU. Hell, a lot of elseworlds like Dark Knight Returns and All Star Superman were never canon in the DC Universe. Does that make them any less DC? No.

And I know the retort that while they aren't set in the DCU, they still have the DC characters, while Watchmen doesn't. However, the Watchment characters are all based off of DC characters that already existed. I'm sure that you know this, but Alan Moore was originally going to use Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, and other Charton characters that were owned by DC.

#14 Edited by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

It's DC. You can't not consider it DC.

#15 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Yeah, but the question is pertaining to DC. A lot of titles that DC published are not set in the main DCU. Hell, a lot of elseworlds like Dark Knight Returns and All Star Superman were never canon in the DC Universe. Does that make them any less DC? No.

And I know the retort that while they aren't set in the DCU, they still have the DC characters, while Watchmen doesn't. However, the Watchment characters are all based off of DC characters that already existed. I'm sure that you know this, but Alan Moore was originally going to use Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, and other Charton characters that were owned by DC.

Elseworlds is a pretty niche area of DC...Watchmen isn't directly comparable to Elseworlds because...Watchmen isn't Elseworlds...

#16 Posted by Brcomicbookguy (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I know there all copy's of other heros and a lot of people loved the watchmen comic. But with the 52 reboot maybe they could introduce the watchmen to the main DCU as a team without the events of the comic taking place. I think the comedian had more story's in him.

#17 Posted by ChocolateFrogs (158 posts) - - Show Bio

It has the DC imprint, so it's a DC comic.

Nowadays I would expect it to be published under the Vertigo imprint.

#18 Edited by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Rorshach based off the Question? Isn't Nite Owl based off Blue Beetle? Isn't Dr. Manhattan based off Captain Atom? Isn't Silk Spectre sort of based off Black Canary? It definitely feels like a DC book to me even though they were mainly Charlton comic characters.

#19 Edited by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Rorshach based off the Question? Isn't Nite Owl based off Blue Beetle? Isn't Dr. Manhattan based off Captain Atom? Isn't Silk Spectre sort of based off Black Canary? It definitely feels like a DC book to me even though they were mainly Charlton comic characters.

Silk Spectre is based on Nightshade, Ozymandias on Peter Cannon and the Comedian on Peacemaker.

BB

#20 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

@princeimc said:

Silk Spectre is based on Nightshade, Ozymandias on Peter Cannon and the Comedian on Peacemaker.

BB

I'm not really as familiar with those original characters but you gotta admit there's at least a little bit of Black Canary in Silk Spectre.