#1 Posted by AColombia (102 posts) - - Show Bio

So we've seen how the new 52 has been over the last 2 years. Honestly I don't like it. The stories are not very good, the timeline is ridiculous and makes no sense (I mean come on 5 robins in 5 years) and its so confusing to know what happened and what didn't. They say the New Teen Titans didn't happen, yet at first they did, now they were just team ups. Great characters like Wally West, Donna Troy, Cass Cain, and Steph Brown were benched and the rich histories of many characters screwed. Dick Grayson, never a Titan? Adopted at 16? Come on that ruins a lot of his history. A lot of essential things. He used to be the hero everyone knew. Now he's isolated and they gave all his friends to Jason, or benched them. Tim Drake never Robin? And don't get me started on his new origin. Arsenal with Starfire? The New Teen Titans never existing the awesome way they did? Okay I've seen everywhere a lot of people wanting the old DCU back, even a fb group for it, and books like Batman and GL did fine without the reboot. The reboot helped some titles, like Swamp Thing and Aquaman and did bring back great characters like Barry Allen. But they didn't need to ruin so much good history. Sales are less than pre new 52 now, writers are quitting, like Robinson quit Earth 2, people dislike the new Superman, and stories suck. And so many comics have been cancelled, Deathstroke, Legion, Blue Beetle, etc. The reboot helped Aquaman and others but improvements could be made without reboot. Also someone told me that eventually from Flashpoint, Flash and Pandora would fix the universe or something. So what your thoughts towards DC's future? Do you guys think eventually they'll reverse back or at least a bit? Or does everyone really like the new 52?

#2 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most people want the removal of Bob Harras before the reversal of the new 52

otherwise we cannot have the later one

#3 Posted by trebean (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Why shouldn't it stay? Even though abandoning old readers, it pulled up some new readers, and this has been done by DC many times already (From Golden Age to Silver Age, to Pre Crisis to Post Crisis) and they where received well (Actually I dunno, but Post Crisis was cool, I never read a lot of Golden Age stuff unless I get my hands on them. All of my Silver Age knowledge are just Superman stories)

If DC never changed anything and stuck with what they had and just expanded on that, we'll still probably only have the JSA, events like Infinite Crisis might have never happened, and the concept of an alternate Earth Team Ups might not see the light of day.

#4 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'd like it to go back. DC just up and erased superhero history going back to WWII in favour of the ill-conceived 5 year timeline. All the friendships and rivalries are gone, all the emotional moments are gone, and entire personalities have been changed.

If that can't happen, I hope for an crisis event that could weave elements and history of the old DCU into the N52U.

#5 Posted by trebean (655 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

Yeah, I'd like it to go back. DC just up and erased superhero history going back to WWII in favour of the ill-conceived 5 year timeline. All the friendships and rivalries are gone, all the emotional moments are gone, and entire personalities have been changed.

If that can't happen, I hope for an crisis event that could weave elements and history of the old DCU into the N52U.

Something like Crisis on Infinite Earths? I can see that happening in the far future.

#6 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think they should go back they made a decision and should stick with it the new 52 was a good plan could it have been executed better of course but i dont think going back to the old DCU is the way to go about it i love wally and the old dick but the old DCU was to crowded and all the characters had been written into holes it was far to messy i mean who in that universe hadn't died like twice the characters were to well defined it made for a lack of good stories because people would be up in arms saying that's not what he/she would do that because of what happened in 1979 or whatever what i do think they should do is wait maybe another 10 years or 15 and then do another full reboot make everyone young put the JSA in the main time line and give it like 3-4 years before they start pulling out sidekicks and make it one big story with an beginning and end JSA being the beginning and the beyond JLA being the end but that's just me i like the new 52 i think it gave every one a nice breath of fresh air compared to what the old cluttered DCU gave us

#7 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

#9 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt DC will do it. They've invested to much time and money into the New 52 to change it now. And hopefully Snyder will address Batman's continuity issues in "Zero Year" and make Superman fun to read again in "Superman Unchained".

#10 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

I wouldn't mind seeing this. Am I actively asking for it? No.

I'm gonna be honest: some of the DC properties that I really liked were somewhat damaged in the reboot (or not even really the reboot, but the editorial mismanagement thereafter). To be clear, though, I am not against the rebooting these franchises in principle. I would be more than willing to accept a rebooted version if the replacement were better than what preceded.

I miss what the Teen Titans used to be. However, I can't even really levy that complaint against the reboot because they had been going through years of poor writing before then. However, I'm mad that it even erased the good times. Whether the Outsiders still existed has been cast in doubt and a lot of the JLA history I adored (Morrison's run, Waid's run, Kelley's run) was erased. Although, again, like Teen Titans, I really wasn't enjoying JLA before the reboot either. The whole generation X angle, with Donna, Jade, Dick, and Supergirl being on the main JLA roster wasn't really doing it for me. Not to mention Robinson's over-expositionist, info-dump style of writing in that book. Also, Superman's world before Flashpoint was more attractive to me than it is now.

However, a lot of what has come after the reboot is/was better than it was before. Wonder Woman's world post-Flashpoint is definitely improved over what it was before. I'm enjoying the Flash more than I was before the reboot. The same can be said for Aquaman, for whom Johns has done some wonderful world-building. I love the introduction of new concepts like the Justice League Dark, the creation of two separate Justice League teams (main JL and JLA), and the Demon Knights (hey, even if its cancelled, its still part of the larger DCU now). I also think that folding the Wildstorm characters into the DCU is a great move that opens up a lot of future storytelling possibilities. And for those who disagree with that notion, I point you to characters that were originally at different companies and bought by DC and who now are considered classic DC characters: Captain Marvel/Shazam, the Question, Plastic Man, Blue Beetle, etc.

Anyway, would I like to see SOME of the pre-Flashpoint continuity folded into the current DCU? Yeah. BUT, I would want the elements from the New 52 that I consider an improvement to remain.

#11 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't hate the New 52 anymore, but yeah, I'd prefer it if they went back.

#12 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep what's working, change what's failed.

#13 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

If New 52 was to save DC and increase sales, the experiment is failing. A one trick gimmick by itself does not sustain a company if there is no well thought out plan and consistent follow through across the board.

Erasing the past to make it "easier" for the writer to tell story is meaningless if there is no substantial contribution from the writer (i.e. great story) other than clumsily reinstating already proven story elements with just a little change here and there. The whole universe can't be patchwork what if tales were the audience is somewhat misled to believe just enough of the previous buy in is there make this new world work.

It's sad and desperate. And "new 52 loyalist" create a cult following which isn't enough to make sales worth the continued shambles of DC better than pre-52.

DC is hemorrhaging and someone needs to bring in an emergency medical team STAT!

#14 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravager4 said:

#15 Posted by longbowhunter (7103 posts) - - Show Bio

The pooch was screwed its true. I was glad to have Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Aquaman be given their own titles again but at what cost? It's not that there aren't good stories still being told but things are a real mess right now. At least Marvel learned from DC's mistakes. Marvel Now has been a real have your cake and eat it too scenario.

#16 Posted by The Stegman (24480 posts) - - Show Bio

No. DC made their choice, now they have to live with it

#17 Edited by Moon_Bat_87 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like a return to a single universe timeline. I have never and will never like Multiverse stuff. One Earth, One Universe. That would require a cut back on a lot of characters but I wouldn't mind DC simply retconing a bunch of the current Superheroes. The only "multiverse" stuff I am okay with is putting all the Wildstorm characters back into their own universe which would have nothing to do with the major DC universe.

I would like to keep current character histories from the more traditional gallery of heroes the roughly same, but return them back to golden age level powers.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

No. DC made their choice, now they have to live with it

but we have to as well.....

#19 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the New 52 changes are good so only the bad changes can possibly be reversed or just move forward and fix the bad changes with better changes. One example of reversal is the costume of Power Girl reverting back to pre-flashpoint. Another example is Stormwatch which got rebooted again but with lots of new characters so it is not exactly totally reverting back to pre-flashpoint. Green Arrow got into trouble but it did not revert back to pre-flashpoint but instead became more like the Arrow tv show. There will probably be another universe reboot soon to coincide with dropping of the obsolete floppy paper monthlies.

#20 Posted by JulieDC (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I think new 52 would have been better had the clean slate been across the board meaning reverting nightwing back to robin and only one green lantern. Basically modernizing the silver age.

#21 Posted by SOG7dc (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc: So basically(correct me if I'm wrong) you would rather it started off with origin stories across the board? Just give very single dc character a clean slate and a fresh start for new and old readers alike? Now that's an idea I love. Sure it may have taken more time to introduce certain characters (like the different robins and it would probably have taken some time to develop the members of the justice league before they made a justice league book) but I think they trade off would have been worth it.

#22 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@juliedc: So basically(correct me if I'm wrong) you would rather it started off with origin stories across the board? Just give very single dc character a clean slate and a fresh start for new and old readers alike? Now that's an idea I love. Sure it may have taken more time to introduce certain characters (like the different robins and it would probably have taken some time to develop the members of the justice league before they made a justice league book) but I think they trade off would have been worth it.

That would have been awesome.

#23 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

That would just needless complicate the DCU...new readers won't want to have to go back and read all the previous stories (which is actually a really fun thing to do)

#24 Posted by RustyRoy (12772 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want it to revert back to Pre-N52 and I'd like to believe that there's a back door and if New 52 gets too messy then the that backdoor can be opened.

#25 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the new 52 mainly because that's what got me into reading comics. So coming from someone who started out with the new 52 I'd find it very disappointing if DC switched back. I have been reading some of the pre-new 52 graphic novels from batman, green lantern, teen titans, and justice league so I wouldn't be completely lost if DC switched but I wouldn't be able to feel as familiar with the universe as I do with the new 52.

#26 Edited by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd like some characters to come back but doesnt dc do a reboot everytime they write themselves into a corner? "o crap idk where to go with batman anymore. REBOOT THE COMPANY!" im sure given enough time new 52 will produce some legendary stories or characters like all the others

#27 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

what's the point, they have taken the new 52 far enough to where if they switched back it would just be another reason for people to complain about continuity and then we'd have people wanting to go back to the new 52.... just keep it like it is and live with it.

#28 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

The pooch was screwed its true. I was glad to have Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Aquaman be given their own titles again but at what cost? It's not that there aren't good stories still being told but things are a real mess right now. At least Marvel learned from DC's mistakes. Marvel Now has been a real have your cake and eat it too scenario.

Except Marvel didn't really change....anything. They simply gave the illusion of change while continuing with business as usual. If anything, Marvel NOW is the gimmick while New 52 was the real deal. Because the New 52 brought REAL CHANGE. Whether or not people like that change is up to them. But there's really no denying that DC was brave in rebuilding their universe from scratch while Marvel just played it safe, didn't change anything, but then told people that things were different.

#29 Edited by jacobsben (108 posts) - - Show Bio

I think bot continuities need to simultaneously exist I miss the old DCu but I likee too many things about the new one to have it gone maybe thy could make one title set in the old continuity

#30 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like it to revert to something resembling pre-52 but not EXACTLY how it was right before the reboot (and not just because most series wrapped up weirdly to end before the reboot). I was actually going to start a thread on that (personal/ideal continuities. Later tonight if I have time, otherwise tomorrow).

#31 Posted by kilowog52 (495 posts) - - Show Bio

The pre-Flashpoint DCU needs to come back. However, if and when this is done, someone will have to explain what aspects of the New 52 stories happened and what didn't. As such, the longer DC waits to undo the New 52 reboot, the more difficult it will get. I'm confident at least some of the reboot will one day be undone, but am afraid we may have to wait twenty years like between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, or maybe even longer.

#32 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

let us go back

#33 Posted by kbrackie (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometime in the future, Superman will wake up early in the morning with his beautiful wife Lois, and realize it was all a dream.

#34 Edited by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@kbrackie said:

Sometime in the future, Superman will wake up early in the morning with his beautiful wife Lois, and realize it was all a dream.

But she will be convinced that she is still dreaming!

#35 Edited by The_Tree (7491 posts) - - Show Bio

I want it to go back. Keep the changes and other stuff that works with The New 52 and throw out the garbage that doesn't (which is about 90% of what they've done).

I was reading 52 today, and I saw the sense of maturity, community, and history that the previous DCU had, the things that made DC great. These things are sorely lacking in every way imaginable in this new universe, and that saddens me immensely.

#36 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

I want it to go back. Keep the changes and other stuff that works with The New 52 and throw out the garbage that doesn't (which is about 90% of what they've done).

I was reading 52 today, and I saw the sense of maturity, community, and history that the previous DCU had, the things that made DC great. These things are sorely lacking in every way imaginable in this new universe, and that saddens me immensely.

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!!

#37 Posted by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? I'm okay with the New 52 being the New 52.

#38 Posted by Marco_Kidd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading with the new 52 and now have hundreds of DC comics, reverting back to the old continuity would probably lose me as a reader and therefore probably many others.

#39 Posted by Dernman (15128 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#40 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14557 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not.

#41 Posted by Saren (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

#42 Edited by TDK_1997 (14897 posts) - - Show Bio

If they do it they should keep what's good and get rid of the stupid sh*t that is happening.

#43 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

why? it isnt the first time they've done a reboot into a new continuity and it definitely wont be the last

#44 Posted by dondave (37615 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Lvenger (20039 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I want it to go back to the DCU... yes. Do I think that will happen? Nope. I think the "creative" people are too up their own butts to do it.

Yesterday I decided to read Stephanie Brown's Batgirl run... and I realized I was laughing, smiling, etc with every issue... and some time around issue 12 I realized omg...I haven't laughed, smiled, felt for these characters, for quite a long time. And looking back on each week one of the most prevalent thoughts every week is "how'd they f*ck up this week" it's kinda depressing when you think about it.