• 54 results
#1 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

What major brand ignores or suppresses celebrating 75 years as a leader in its field?

Was DC ashamed of its history?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they not do much for it?

#3 Posted by Mr_Alt (70 posts) - - Show Bio

News to me.

#4 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

leader in the field? HA. HA. HA. debatable.

#6 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

leader in the field? HA. HA. HA. debatable.

Well its one of the Big two, so even though it kind of sucks lately it's still A leader in its field even if it's not THE leader.

#7 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: the indies have been bringing it a lot more than DC since the reboot.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

What major brand ignores or suppresses celebrating 75 years as a leader in its field?

uhhh...DC does

have you not read the New 52?

#9 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri said:

uhhh...DC does

have you not read the New 52?

Don't tell him Dan, I don't think his heart could take it.

#10 Posted by MaccyD (3968 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even know it was their 75th anniversary, that's how bad it is.

#11 Edited by EnigmaLantern (750 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was Superman's 75th anniversary, not DCs? I must of missed something out.

DC was found in 1934? It's 75th anniversary would be in 2009 unless my maths has failed me somewhere.

...I am completely lost it's safe to say.

#12 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

When was this ?

#13 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1249 posts) - - Show Bio

The company was founded in 1934. Anyway even it was 75 they did a lot this year. They gave us a month for villains and while many didn't like the idea or much of the comics I thought it was interesting and fun. They are starting a cinematic universe was the new Superman and went on to announce a World's Finest movie and TV shows for the Flash, Constantine, Commissioner Gordon, and I am just waiting for them to announce a Booster Gold show for Sci-fi.

This was Superman's 75th and what they did for him was great. They gave him a new title with one of their best writers, they gave him a movie, they made him a major player in Injustice, announced a new Superman movie with Batman, and if I remember correctly they even had little banners on their Superman comics taking notice of his 75th anniversary.

#15 Posted by EnigmaLantern (750 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16782 posts) - - Show Bio

this thread is fail.

#17 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@enigmalantern: lol with this annversy talk i wonder what dc will do for the 80th next year

@crazyscarecrow: if booster gold show is true i hope it has the same vibe as eureka tv show fun and light

#18 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1249 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: Hmmm never seen it. I'll have to look that up. Also have you heard about the Spectre getting his own live action show. I remember hearing that somewhere and that would be pretty cool on like a HBO or something.

#19 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

What?!!?!?!?!?!? DC has only been around for 5 years, if not then we should still have heroes from WWII. Heck, we would have a whole society of justice from WWII.

#20 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: Actually at this point in the DCnU, they've been around for about 6 or 7 :P

#21 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1230 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Squares (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, that's weird. 75 is an important anniversary. That's like, what, the diamond anniversary?

#23 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7702 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember they did one or two things for the 75th, I saw some banners up at a convention for some collected anthology's I think. I've noticed that big anniversary's for companies/ shows etc. don't always deliver what's either expected or promised.

#24 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Great responses.

Funnily enough, I did not say this year was DC's 75th anniversary. Some assumed it was stated/implied and ran with it. Guess new 52 has conditioned some of its readers to assume and make up details that are left out. Oh well.

My point was that DC didn't acknowledge it in any special way. That is sad and says something about how the leadership feels about the company.

1985 was the 50th year celebration, so it was probably a little off as well.

It's great that DC did some projects with Superman, but that is not really honoring an anniversary. "Hey! It's your birthday, let's not mention but give you some more work." Words we all seek on our birthdays I'm sure.

Again, enjoyed all the responses.

#25 Posted by RustyRoy (12017 posts) - - Show Bio

They drank, danced and partied hard but unfortunately they forgot to invite you to the party.....

#26 Posted by THORSON (2363 posts) - - Show Bio

yet all they cared about was batman.

#27 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: I'd say it was a safe assumption based on the OP, and in regards to Superman they actually made a pretty big deal about it. Zack Snyder took selfies with Action Comics #1,there was a big red carpet affair.... Happened just after or during SDCC I believe... Big panels and interviews with the press... As for when it actually was their 75th anniversary, I don't know many companies that make a big deal out of it. Although I feel like there was a "celebrating 75 years" badge type thing on their comic covers at some stage, instead of or combined with the normal DC logo... But I could easily be imagining it.

#28 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

How many comic book companies have reached 75 years that we would base the idea that a comic book company that celebrated 50 years with a bang would ignore its 75th year?

A safe assumption is supported by sound reasoning and is usually right. The post is that DC didn't celebrate its 75th anniversary. If the hadn't celebrated it this year, then the only logical counter would be that it was celebrated when it did happen. If it wasn't, then the post is still a true observation.

#29 Edited by fil123 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought it was supermans 75th not DCs. and they gave him an animated movie, MOS, new comic series and a major role in a videogame

#30 Posted by 2cool4fun (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was Superman's 75th anniversary, not DCs? I must of missed something out.

DC was found in 1934? It's 75th anniversary would be in 2009 unless my maths has failed me somewhere.

...I am completely lost it's safe to say.

They were found a few years after superman, Back then action comics & detective comics were published by 2 different companies, and those 2 joined up with a 3rd company to make DC

#31 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, let's see. They did limited edition variant covers in honour of their 75th anniversary, released a "celebrating 75 years" book cataloguing their history and had a special launch party in conjunction with bloomingdales, setting up some specialty DC shop, all back in 2009. They also relaunched the Adventure Comics series, starting again at #1 in honour of their 75 years.

It could also be argued that since they weren't officially DC comics until 1977,they still haven't technically hit 75 years yet and may do something in the future, or alternatively 1947 may be the year to use as that's when Detective Comics Inc. was officially created. But at this point it would seem they DID recognise the anniversary in 2009 so I guess 1934 (the founding year for National Allied Publications) is the year they wish to use.

Also my comment was about companies in general, not specific to comic book companies. Generally when a company that I am aware of hits 75 years they put it in their advertising as like a logo or something, or put it on their products for that year, maybe ha E some special edition product or something (depends on the type of company and what they sell of course) which is the exact type of thing they did do.

To me the main ones to throw a party over are 50 years and 100 years and if you're fortunate enough, 200 years and so on. But that's just my take on it. If it was my company I'd acknowledge other milestones like 25 years and 75 years, maybe even 80 and 90 years too, but I wouldn't be doing anything major for them. I think Superman as a property gets treated differently though since he was the beginning of the genre and their first proper success. I mean at the time sales of his comics were selling pretty much double what any other successful comic could hope for, so he's probably treated a bit differently. You cold also argue that due to MoS they saw an opportunity for extra press both for the company and the character by timing the two together and making a bigger deal out of it then they otherwise might have. I find it odd they aren't taking the same opportunity for Batman, so the question becomes what are they going to do for his 75th birthday? I guess we'll find out next year.

#32 Posted by EnigmaLantern (750 posts) - - Show Bio

@darknightspideyfanboy: Release a graphic novel style title of each character featuring some of the most fan-and-writer-loved stories, at a cheap-ish price. One can only dream...

#33 Posted by Joygirl (19446 posts) - - Show Bio

go to bed

#34 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1249 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: Maybe they were basing their 50th anniversary off the year when Doctor Occult (their first character to be considered to be in the DCU) first appeared.

#35 Edited by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri said:

Great responses.

Funnily enough, I did not say this year was DC's 75th anniversary. Some assumed it was stated/implied and ran with it. Guess new 52 has conditioned some of its readers to assume and make up details that are left out. Oh well.

I assumed you meant this year because I didn't see why you'd bring it up if it already happened a few years ago.

#36 Edited by The Stegman (23972 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri said:

Great responses.

I assumed you meant this year because I didn't see why you'd bring it up if it already happened a few years ago.

Seems like he was trying to be clever and make a hate thread, f*cked it up, and is now back peddling and saying he "didn't mean it that way" all along.

#37 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman:

Thanks, a little more along the lines of what I was seeking. Was not aware of most of that activity. Still would've liked a company wife event or theme through the books similar to if not in tradition of the first Crisis. Hate to see that some think 75 years is just a ho hum anniversary when it is a major milestone.

@gator4eva:

Rationalization is normally used to excuse a wrong answer/action. The logic behind your statement implies no topic ever exists unless it is about today. People are constantly asking about previous events and events or aspects that pre-date new 52 on comicvine. But somehow, you felt this topic was limited to an unknown rule that if it was mentioned- it had to be about today.

Why did I bring it up? This is a forum where we discuss comic book related topics past, present and future. I'm going to continue doing just that. And I notice that I am not alone.

#38 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: ok, yeah I see what you're saying. I'd say they knew they were heading towards the N52 around that time so decided against any major event. Often big ideas like that are planned out 12 to 24 months in advance and I think considering the scope of N52 this would have been the case. Having some major event like the original Crisis then doing a complete relaunch only 2 years later might have been a bit much. Of course they could have always sped up their N52 ideas too.

#39 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't deserve a 75 year anniversary. They knew it would be in HORRIBLE taste to do so after just doing a reboot. They're ashamed of what they've done to their universe and if they aren't then they should be!!!!!

Marvel? THEY deserve an anniversary!!! They do the hard job of keeping an entire universe going without rebooting the hell out of it every few decades!!! PRAISE MARVEL COMICS!!!!!!! PRAISE!!!!!!

#40 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: What in your opening post would lead me to think that DC's 75th anniversary had happened years ago? I didn't know when it happened when I was reading your post and so I thought maybe it was something recent that you were talking about considering I hadn't heard about it yet.

@smart_dork_dude: What are you talking about? Their 75th anniversary happened before the New 52 was created.

#41 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by PowerHerc (83353 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Superman's 75th Anniversary.

#43 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@gator4eva:

You guessed at something you didn't know, but there was nothing in the opening to imply I meant it was this year or the very day I posted either. My point is not lessened as I simply said it did not seem celebrated. Noting it was not this year implies the point was invalid. My other point was that not every topic on here is about today only.

You assumed. I get it. Your response seemed like a slight, but perhaps it was not.

I got some good responses and info regarding how DC celebrated and downplayed the event.

#44 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6277 posts) - - Show Bio

They did a whole lot for Superman's 75th...

#45 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop trying to troll everyone, you're failing.

#46 Edited by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: Why don't they deserve a 75th anniversary? Just because you don't like where DC is at right now doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. And it certainly doesn't mean DC should forget they've been around for 75 years. 75 years is definitely a nice accomplishment and DC is still one of the top two in comics so it's not like they've started doing worse. You can prefer Marvel and that's fine but that doesn't have any say in whether or not DC deserves to celebrate their 75th anniversary.

#47 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@gator4eva: My point is that you don't wipe your universe of all it's history and then celebrate that it's lasted that long!!

#48 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: 2 things:

1. DC generally find a way to reincorporate their older universes and characters so it's not exactly "wiping it out"

2. How is that not what Marvel did after Civil War?

The reality is Marvel does this as well, they just don't label it as a "re-boot". They retcon and relaunch titles and characters all the time, or place it in a non 616 universe (and then just close out that universe once it starts being pointless). DC just generally chooses to do it in big sweeping motions and calls it a reboot and uses it to generate publicity and interest. I get some people don't like it and that's cool, personally I've never had a problem with it, but don't act like Marvel would never do such a thing either.

#49 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: I know Marvel does retcons! I'd be an idiot not to think that. My point is that DC has been rebooting since the beginning. It's almost their first instinct when things get bad. Marvel on the other hand has pretty much been consistent with everything. The Captain America we see today is the same one that was in the Golden Age. All of their history has basically remained the same, minus the obvious time scale moving up. Point is this, I just feel that Marvel cares more about their characters.

At least when Marvel does major changes to their universe there's a transition period. It's like a nice drive through the country. With the New 52 it was like driving at 100 MPH into a tree!!

#50 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: I know Marvel does retcons! I'd be an idiot not to think that. My point is that DC has been rebooting since the beginning. It's almost their first instinct when things get bad. Marvel on the other hand has pretty much been consistent with everything. The Captain America we see today is the same one that was in the Golden Age. All of their history has basically remained the same, minus the obvious time scale moving up. Point is this, I just feel that Marvel cares more about their characters.

At least when Marvel does major changes to their universe there's a transition period. It's like a nice drive through the country. With the New 52 it was like driving at 100 MPH into a tree!!

I understand what you're saying here - however I feel obliged to point out that the Captain America we have today has undergone massive changes, sometimes within the context of a story - other times through just being relaunched - a couple of times in fact. My point is Marvel is no different - in fact given how frequently they retcon and change things around it's far more frequent than DC - HOWEVER I understand what you mean about it being sudden - DC will do it through a massive event, changing their entire Universe in one fell swoop, whereas Marvel do one character at a time (usually) and even then changes especially more recently are gradual.

In saying that, DC's original "re-boot" as people may call it these days was a direct response to censorship of the industry in 1954 and launched the Silver Age of comics. From then on there was no "reboots" and just ongoing stories and one-shots. It wasn't until the Modern Age they felt a need to re-boot, primarily because of really bad continuity. Instead of opting for random retcons and relaunches 1 or 2 years after killing off a character (and just plain ignoring old continuity) in the way Marvel chose to, they decided to acknowledge everything and erase it all at once, redefining some characters in the process, including Superman. Suddenly we have Crisis. Since then they haven't so much re-booted, but instead did a 2nd crisis event in honour of the original crisis (although they did use this to reset a couple of titles). Even N52 can be linked to the original crisis - taking place 25 years later, something I don't think was an accident. There's also suggestions that or hints if you look close enough to suggest that the pre-52 universe still exists (I wouldn't put it past them to do something similar to what they did when they launched the Silver Age - revealing it as an alternate Universe that another universe thinks are just comic books.... aahhhh... nostalgia....)

At any rate - I understand your point (although disagree with it mostly), however I think your original post had a hint of vitriol that was potentially uncalled for. Whatever you may think of their writers and editors at the point in time - the fact remains they have been a very successful company for now over 75 years and have given us an entire genre of artistic expression that potentially may not otherwise have existed. So for that reason if no other, I'm sure that as a fellow comic book fan, you can appreciate their contribution and respect the work they have contributed, even if you don't like the way they go about it.