#1 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

In almost two years, has Cyborg's story been made more interesting as a member of the JL?

Pre-New 52, he dealt with family issues depicted in scenes with family & friends as well as a key motivator discerning for himself if he was man or machine. He tried to undergo a process to look fully human, he had a love life, and he faced the nightmare of being an emotionless robot.

In JL, has who or what Cyborg is been explored? Has the reason for his unique character been established beyond super computer? Does he have personality?

#2 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

In the New 52 he is boring as hell. His main function in the New 52 is the Justice Leagues bus, besides that he pretty much does nothing. He is an interesting character and I wish that Johns would learn to write him a little better.

#3 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the purpose of putting him in JL? Could not Red Tornado or an updated Hourman not have served this function?

Was the idea just to add a popular black character sans what made the character stand out?

I attribute this to flash but not substance that is the new 52.

#4 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: No clue, maybe it was a diversity thing or maybe he has some special function in Trinity War.

#5 Posted by w0nd (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

In almost two years, has Cyborg's story been made more interesting as a member of the JL?

Pre-New 52, he dealt with family issues depicted in scenes with family & friends as well as a key motivator discerning for himself if he was man or machine. He tried to undergo a process to look fully human, he had a love life, and he faced the nightmare of being an emotionless robot.

In JL, has who or what Cyborg is been explored? Has the reason for his unique character been established beyond super computer? Does he have personality?

he has a wasted personality. Everything you mentioned Pre new 52 is all there, family issues, his dad NOW trying to be a part of his life, him questioning if he is just a robot who thinks he's a man, but it's never explored on

#6 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't see why Cyborg is on the Justice League. I think it's cool that they put someone new on the team and Cyborg is one of my favorite heroes, but I don't see the point. I'd rather see Martian Manhunter on the Justice League and Cyborg back on Teen Titans or maybe with Justice League of America.

#7 Posted by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@gator4eva: Cyborg is on the league just so DC can say the Justice League is diverse. They got the quantity of diversity down, but in terms of quality it's a whole different story.

#8 Posted by Marco_Kidd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

If anybody has been underused in the Justice League it is the Flash, he hasn't really done anything since the Darkseid invasion and wasn't around during Throne of Atlantis. Cyborg on the other hand has consistently proven useful throughout the entire series so far usually having a very pivotal part to play.

#9 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: That's what I figured but if they really wanted diversity they could have just put John Stewart on the team instead. He's probably more famous than Hal Jordan by now because of the Justice League cartoon.

#10 Posted by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@gator4eva: That would make perfect sense. In fact my ideal line up for the reboot would the classic JLA with John Stewart in Hal Jordan place. And a recent poll by IGN showed by landslide that John Stewart is still the most popular Lantern even though DC's been sidelining him for years.

But Geoff Johns is calling the shots at DC and he's an admitted Hal fanboy. An even though he FINALLY decided to shed some light on John and have him be the star of GLC, it looks like John won't be in anything major beyond that.

And plus, even though the public still wants John Stewart, it's implied that Hal will be the Lantern in the DCCU because the last name female soldier who thinks Supes is hot is "Ferris". And plus Cyborg is confirmed to be in this world because of the mention of STAR Labs. It's a shame, because I really wanted Cyborg to be used for a Teen Titans movie.

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

he sucks. just like pre new52. what a shock.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: STAR Labs has existed long before Cyborg, so it's not really confirmation that he'll be in the JL movie, just confirmation that the place exists. And the soldier named Ferris isn't anything notable because her name is Carrie not Carol, connecting the two is kind of a reach, especially when (to my knowledge) Carol Ferris has never been in the military in the comics.

#13 Edited by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: well David Goyer said that the STAR Labs reference was pertaining to Cyborg. And I guess it was pretty much instinct for me to link the name "Ferris" with Hal Jordan. Lol

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Yeah.

I feel you though. If Cyborg's in the JL movie, I'll flip, he's a Titan not a Leaguer. Nothing would be more disappointing.

#15 Edited by Outside_85 (8124 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to say Wolfman did more for Cyborgs character in 2 issues of NTT than Johns has managed in 2 years of JL. But I could argue that Johns isn't a great character writer when he is dealing with teams, and especially not with something like JL thats constantly dealing with something.

And I agree with the others who are puzzled about his JL presence. Diversity could have been solved by adding Steward rather than Hal, And if you wanted someone other than Batman to be the tech-guy, you could have had Steel, or Mr. Terrific. But it really wasnt needed to wreck one circle of characters in order to make another.

#16 Posted by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: Yeah. But there's a possibility he might be used because, just like in the comics, they need to have at least one black guy on the team so that people won't accuse them of being white washed.

And I think the general public will be pissed due to the fact that even though Cy is a member of the league, he's still being marketed as a Titan because of Teen Titans Go. He's even a Titan in Injustice because he says stuff like "Wish the other Titans could see this" and "You tried to kill this worlds Titans"! DC better not act surprised when the public starts wondering why Cyborg isn't a Titan.

#17 Posted by The_Tree (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: I figure that if they want to world-build, it's better to present a more iconic, timeless lineup than the one we have in the current Justice League book. Because you just know that however many years down the line, DC's gonna reboot and remove Cyborg from the League. And again with the world-building idea, you want to have the option to do a Teen Titans movie later on down the road, and who are the Titans without Cyborg?

If they really need a diversity play, I rather they go with John. Just make sure that Hal isn't completely written off.

#18 Edited by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: They can just have Hal be in space battling a space villain, thus his hands are too full to return to Earth and fight [insert villain here] who threatning humanity. The guardians then send a ring to Earth that lands on John Stewart's finger. Cue team up with other DC superheroes and kicking ass.

Besides, each Space Sector has two lanterns watching over it anyway.

#19 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8406 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by matchesmalone21 (8406 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Simon Baz is officialy the sole Earth's green lantern. Hal is the new chief of GLC,Guy Gardner now leads the RLC,Kyle Rayner is assisting the Templar Guardians and John Stewart is the GLC trainer.

#21 Edited by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend said:

In the New 52 he is boring as hell. His main function in the New 52 is the Justice Leagues bus, besides that he pretty much does nothing.

Yup. I think part of it is that nothing with him hasn't been done before. I mean Robocop and a zillion movie/video game characters are just like him. He's kinda generic. He was good in the Teen Titans cartoon because of his personality, but that has not translated.

Jim Lee and Ivan Reis should just start driving him like this:

#22 Posted by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

And I think the general public will be pissed due to the fact that even though Cy is a member of the league, he's still being marketed as a Titan because of Teen Titans Go. He's even a Titan in Injustice because he says stuff like "Wish the other Titans could see this" and "You tried to kill this worlds Titans"! DC better not act surprised when the public starts wondering why Cyborg isn't a Titan.

Yup. It will shock as many people as "White Green Lantern."

#23 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Justice League was already diverse. They had a Kryptonian (Superman), Amazon (Wonder Woman), Atlantean (Aquaman), and a Martian (Martian Manhunter).

#24 Edited by Black_Claw (2886 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: Mainstream audiences most likely won't care about that since it still doesn't change the fact that they are clear as day Cacausians (barring MM), not trying to be mean or anything.

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: Mainstream audiences most likely won't care about that since it still doesn't change the fact that they are clear as day Cacausians (barring MM), not trying to be mean or anything.

you're not coming off as mean.

#26 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Yeah, I had the sad feeling that Cy was added to the founding league members roster for the sake of PC as well, only unlike with John Stewart & Shayera Hol, who became super popular because of their amazing characterizations on the Justice League & JLU tv shows, Cy has no chemistry with the rest of the league. He began his career as a Titan & has the strongest bonds possible with the titans, and honestly, I've often thought the Titans were a better balanced group of heroes than the League anyway, each member bringing something unique to the table & no one member being more powerful than the team as a whole. It also doesn't help that Batman is usually the gadget guy of the league, plus Superman & Martian Manhunter have knowledge of alien technology, so Cy's tech expertise isn't as sorely needed on the League as it is with the Titans, HIS BEST FRIENDS >_<

Oh yeah, & his origin has been changed so he was never a titan anyway...So why should we care about this complete stranger baring Cyborg's name but possessing none of the history or experiences that made him Cyborg in the first place? Its not that Cy doesn't deserve League membership, its just that they didn't need to destroy his past or make him a founding member to add him to the team, & again, he was a better fit with the Titans (who are every bit as awesome as the League, they've saved the universe just as often). I suppose he could work as a leaguer if they acknowledged his past exploits as the reason for why he's risen to leadership status in the ranks, & have him act as liaison between titans & leaguers. Heck, he could even replace Batman on the team as the tech guy since Martian Manhunter can cover stealth & wonder woman fighting skills, like in Justice League Doom...Only of course DC would never try something that bold since Batman is so damn popular (even though he could logically carry his own book without the league & is often depicted as a part timer anyway).

If they needed a black man on the league, John Stewart would have been perfect due to his success in the cartoons, and honestly, as much as I like Hal Jordon, I do believe John is a better fit for the league than him. John is a ex-marine & architect, he can build things AND kick ass, he's a team player but takes shit from no one, not even Supes or Batman (& his friendship with Wally West as Flash is priceless). Hal is at his best when he's off having deep space adventures like the reckless cowboy he is, whereas with the league he tends to be overshadowed by the Big Three, John on the other hand lets no one put him in the corner. Also, his romance with Hawkgirl was WAY more natural than the forced love between Superman & Wonderwoman. John is just more responsible than Hal & works better with a team like the league, Cy has none of that history or chemistry with the league, he was poached from the titans roster simply cuz he's popular rather than because he works best as a leaguer.

Diversity is a good thing obviously, but diversity for the sake of diversity without regard for characterization or team dynamic doesn't typically work out too well. Sorry for the wall of text.

P.S. I personally think it would be easier to do a Teen Titans movie than a JL movie since many of the Titans, Cyborg included, began their hero careers as Titans & have always been part of a team rather than going solo, much like how the X-Men go together so well (yes, Wolverine gets alot of solo stories, but most of the X-Men star together in their adventures). You could just do a Titan film all about how they met for the first time & keep the ball rolling from there, especially if Raven is the one who recruits them all again like in the comics or they each respond to Starfire's arrival on earth like in the show.

#28 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro2828:

Great points!

I liked the potential of exploring Cyborg questioning himself on his humanity while becoming intimately linked with New God technology. Was he man/machine/god?

Alas... Nothing in two years but bring the black guy on the team.

#29 Edited by kilowog52 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg's graduation to the League was inevitable. It actually first happened during James Robinson's run, but Robinson kept changing his mind as to which characters he wanted to use, so Cyborg opted for reserve status after being hired as the head of a branch of S.T.A.R. Labs. For a long time prior to that, the Teen Titans were going through a changing of the guard period. In 2003, when the most recent series, aside from the New 52, debuted, it featured Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy from the New Teen Titans joined by Robin, Superboy, Wonder Girl, and Impulse from Young Justice. Over the course of the series, the roster was quite fluid, but at one point, Cyborg relinquished leadership to Tim Drake and left the team. Soon after that he tried to recruit a Titans East team, which was massacred by Trigon, resulting in the formation of the Titans team consisting of Nightwing, Donna Troy, Wally West Flash, Red Arrow, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy. Garth, the original Aqualad was mysteriously absent. When this team disbanded and Deathstroke's villains for hire took over the book, Beast Boy and Raven returned to the Teen Titans, though I don't see them having stayed around much longer, and Cyborg and Starfire joined the Justice League. As I said, Cyborg opted for reserve status after being hired at S.T.A.R. but still starred in a backup. Meanwhile, Starfire decided the League wasn't for her and flew off into space and joined Vril Dox's L.E.G.I.O.N.

Anyway, yes it would have been better if they had just continued from where Robinson and previous writers left off, but due to the New 52, Cyborg's origin is one and the same with the formation of the Justice League. Due to him having been around for such a short amount of time now, they really haven't had time to do new things with him. They are still establishing the whole man/machine thing. Like in The Villain's Journey, when there was the 'ghost of the real Vic Stone'. Hopefully the current Forever Evil tie-in arc featuring him and the Metal Men will help things along.