• 157 results
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

This is mostly a pictorial look at the recent issues of the new 52, in terms of how it has chosen to portray women, but I guess technically I am revealing some story points so read on at your own discretion. 

Not as bad as it was anticipated 
A lot of fans of Harley Quinn reacted poorly this summer when they saw the new version of the character as portrayed on the first issue of Suicide Squad, having seemingly compromised the aspects of the character which made her so likeable (chiefly her insanity) for a more sexual version of the character.   

No Caption Provided
 To be honest I was in the group of people which formed my opinion about this character before reading the issue.  I was not so happy to see the traditional Harley go, but after reading the issue I found that it had been a little overblown.  A more sexed up version of the character was portrayed inside, but not one which I thought was necessarily over the top or one which I thought had sacrificed too much of her old character.   
No Caption Provided
 The Gratuitous 
Granted I was expecting a series like Catwoman, which was billing itself as a lot more sexy than previous to have a fair amount of gratuitous imagery, and really it did not disappoint my expectations (even if it did disappoint a little bit my expectations of the character) 
Like in this panel, with basically no reason to be showing her breast hanging out 
Like in this panel, with basically no reason to be showing her breast hanging out 

Or in this panel where she is in disguise and trying to seduce a man, I am pretty sure that Selina does not need to show her bra and panties to do so. 
Or in this panel where she is in disguise and trying to seduce a man, I am pretty sure that Selina does not need to show her bra and panties to do so. 
  Really though this was somewhat to be expected as it billed itself in this way, and really the sex aspects were a sort of over-the-top aspect to the story which still held itself together pretty well despite it.  The more shocking example of gratuitous skin though which I saw was in Wonder Woman, where there was absolutely no context or necessity to seeing Diana's naked back other than she was getting changed.  
No Caption Provided
 The Ridiculously Overboard Gratuity
 One issue where I really couldn't believe my eyes was in Red Hood and the Outlaws.  Fittingly here Jason Todd and Roy Harper are portrayed as frat house buddies, because Starfire is treated like the dream girl of a thousand frosh week movies or spring break videos.  
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
 I could just not take this issue seriously as the two main male leads spent more time discussing access to her vaginal track than they did talking about anything to do with superheroics.   

Inappropriate For Younger Eyes, But In Context 
To be honest one of the things I did like about the end of Catwoman was the scene where she basically jumps Batman (I already mentioned this in my review).  When it comes to superheroes, their romantic lives are usually portrayed as more chivalrous in nature with a lot of flirting eventually resulting in a marriage proposal and then some baby making time (and those babies usually end up as superheroes or supervillains themselves).  In  reality though two young characters as portrayed here in their sexual primes might just do this.  It is maybe a bit of a stretch to think about it in terms of very established characters, but this romance has taken many forms over the years and here is yet another.  Also as I mentioned in my review, it is sometimes a habit which forms among people who witness death to engage in spontaneous acts of sex.  This is sort of an instinctual result of death that new life is made right away.  it doesn't happen all the time, or even rarely, but still for two characters that live life on the edge and where the difference between life and death is measured in inches numerous times daily, that this is not that strange of a reaction.  I wouldn't be necessarily happy seeing a child read this, but for an adult I see no reason why not.  
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@RazzaTazz
I was entertaining the notion of buying the Catwoman issue but I didn't buy it for the reasons you listed above. Completely unnecessary and an insult IMO. The Starfire scans are completely ridiculous as well. I didn't really mind the image of Diana that much.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Why is Catwoman reaching up Batman's shirt instead of down his pants? I guess she isn't after one thing, after all...

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By No_Name_

@xerox_kitty said:

Why is Catwoman reaching up Batman's shirt instead of down his pants? I guess she isn't after one thing, after all...

Pffft....she's just taking her time. Let her get hers. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Babs said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@xerox_kitty said:

FOCUS! What do you think of the sexploitation?
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz
@Jake Fury: I also didnt mind the Diana stuff as much, but it was more gratuitous than the Catwoman stuff in context.  Still you might want to consider Catwoman, I thought the sex angle was not really over the top, as opposed to Red Hood and The Outlaws.   

@Babs
@xerox_kitty:  

I am with Babs here, the approach makes sense to me ;)
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz:Hmmm. I agree with most of the things that were mentioned above, but I have to say, I really liked the interpertation of Red Hood and Roy Harper in their comic books. I really did. I didn't like the fact that they both "got" with starfire, AND I DID CALL THAT. *Sigh* I also didn't like Starfire in this issue. Oh well, it was a pretty good read, none the less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz
Maybe I'll check it out. It has to be better than a few of the other issues that I read last night.
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz
@ReVamp: Agreed the issue without the constant reference to Starfire would have been decent, it was just way too much of a distraction for me though
super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By super_psycho

i have seen Diana sleeping naked before so it's not a new thing. I agree catwoman's part is unnecessary (Talia isn't going to like this)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz said:

@ReVamp: Agreed the issue without the constant reference to Starfire would have been decent, it was just way too much of a distraction for me though

Well, I thought that the Starfire references were okay up until the "three weeks after" point where I felt that it became a whole lot weeker, specially when we discover that she "forgot" all of her previous friends. I also love the Frat boy atmosphere going on and I really want it to continue, just less with it revolving around Starfire, who honestly was the weak point of the whole issue. It sucks though, cause I was really hyping the fact that she was coming into her own, without grayson and then they just do this, which makes her defined by men even more...

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By EdwardWindsor

@xerox_kitty: who would of thought Bruce was the type to let the women take charge . Especilaly when hes such a Prep-Spert.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RazzaTazz
@super_psycho: Well they showed her sleeping naked here.  That was fine, the back shot just seemed unnecessary though.  

@Jake Fury:  I don't know what you were reading, but this was ok.   

@ReVamp: I don't mind the frat boy approach, I recently reviewed an issue where Roy takes Conner to a strip club and it was all right.  Its just here its the fact that Starfire had become the easy girl of their dreams.   
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh my. Well, I have seen worse. Like that black Cat series where she takes a shower in the 1st issue.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar
@RazzaTazz
Selina I get why she acts like that. She's attracted to Bruce and she's really always been a sexual character. It's not her only attribute though. There's nothing wrong with her being over the top, after all we're talking about people that like running around in body tight spandex and/or just underwear, it's the nature of comics. Thankfully Selina is shown to have a personality as well.

Diana sleeps naked? Oh no! So do I!

Starfire needs to be kicked into the nearest blackhole. My only hope for her, that someone else brought up, is that Lobdell is getting the fan service out of the way for her. I was really hoping she'd be the powerhouse voice of reason, you know when Jason goes too far, it'd be her to say no and there'd be nothing he could say against it because she's just that much more powerful.
rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By rogue_mar1e

I really dislike how Kory has been portrayed in Red Hood and the Outlaws. Now I don't want to read that series anymore, even though I was one of the few reboot titles I was looking forward to.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: Not opposed to the naked sleeping, opposed to over showing her walking around her apartment while in the buff.  
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReVamp

@rogue_mar1e said:

I really dislike how Kory has been portrayed in Red Hood and the Outlaws. Now I don't want to read that series anymore, even though I was one of the few reboot titles I was looking forward to.

I dislike it too... Oh well.

@RazzaTazz said:

@ReVamp: I don't mind the frat boy approach, I recently reviewed an issue where Roy takes Conner to a strip club and it was all right. Its just here its the fact that Starfire had become the easy girl of their dreams.

Yeah, we're agreeing.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By super_psycho

@RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar: Not opposed to the naked sleeping, opposed to over showing her walking around her apartment while in the buff.

she is an amazon its part of her character. why would she hide her back from another female?

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By ragdollpurps

It's okay Diana, you're not the only one who walks around their apartment nude.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iLLituracy

Welcome to the DCnU. Where women are naked a lot. Also, no fat chicks allowed.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz
@super_psycho: Like i said this was not the only frame, the other ones seemed in context as she is walking around the room after waking, here though she just seemed to be posing.  
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CATPANEXE

This is quite the slap in the face though to DC's only recent claim that they were doing away with objectification of women, I don't think it can be denied.
Though I don't think it's that prolific, nor is it anything new. Starfire was overly baked, and how, but then again she always has been in the comics and is
now in a very dark mature themed one. Still no denying the fact that one was almost looking at something from Top Cow. 
I'm at odds with Harley's representation here. While on panel her character wasn't as " slutted-up " as was predicted, in appearance she most definitely was,
the majority of the frames of her being her bent over, her breasts hanging out, or of course in bondage being tortured and grinning (for some reason I personally didn't mind).
The viewpoints almost reminded me of the book X-Women to be honest with you. But still, her character development was correct and not unappealing.
Not reading Catwoman until tonight so I'd have to concede on that, though in full culture Catwoman has always been a sex symbol, I'll just make a note of that, or paw print if you will. Surprised that you didn't overview Wonder Woman in this article as she has probably has been the most talked about in this regard, and is the most relevant to the point.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By tensor

@xerox_kitty: cats like to play with there food

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RazzaTazz
@CATPANEXE: Well I did mention Diana a little, but for the record I thought her depiction was pretty good (short shorts are just as good as pants) it was just that one scene which seemed gratuitous.  
super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By super_psycho

@RazzaTazz said:

@super_psycho: Like i said this was not the only frame, the other ones seemed in context as she is walking around the room after waking, here though she just seemed to be posing.

all i m saying that its part of her character. she has always been like that e.g Wonder woman #34

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By turoksonofstone

Hmmm, just Hmmmmmmmm.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RazzaTazz
@super_psycho: I remember that issue, just not sure which aspect of that issue you are referring to.  
super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super_psycho

@RazzaTazz said:

@super_psycho: I remember that issue, just not sure which aspect of that issue you are referring to.

when she returns back to her apartment. Diana takes off her costume to take shower they only show legs nothing else but i guess gorilla was there too :P (damn lucky gorilla)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RazzaTazz
@super_psycho: I would say that is in context, posing with your naked back to a mysterious interloper though is maybe not really something most people do, even if you do sleep naked.  
super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By super_psycho

@RazzaTazz said:

@super_psycho: I would say that is in context, posing with your naked back to a mysterious interloper though is maybe not really something most people do, even if you do sleep naked.

right.. that mysterious interloper is female so i don't see the problem

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheCrowbar
@RazzaTazz
People sleep naked and walk around naked.
Greeks didn't have an issue with walking around naked or depictions of nudeness.
The Amazons are based on the Greeks.
Wonder Woman is a person

Therefore it's logical that if she chose to she could walk around naked.
0xymoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 0xymoron

@ragdollpurps said:

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By danhimself

I didn't mind Catwoman at all....it's who she is...she's always been a sexual character and I actually liked seeing her with Bruce (not in the pervy way) it showed Bruce trying to fight back a bit before succumbing to her

I didn't really care for the way Starfire was handled but it wasn't as big of a deal for me as it was for everybody else.....I do hope that it doesn't continue to much in future issues

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@ragdollpurps said:

O_O Go on...
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Jake Fury said:
@Babs said:

@xerox_kitty said:

@xerox_kitty said:

FOCUS! What do you think of the sexploitation?
lol
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@danhimself said:

I didn't mind Catwoman at all....it's who she is...she's always been a sexual character and I actually liked seeing her with Bruce (not in the pervy way) it showed Bruce trying to fight back a bit before succumbing to her

I didn't really care for the way Starfire was handled but it wasn't as big of a deal for me as it was for everybody else.....I do hope that it doesn't continue to much in future issues

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By fodigg

My thoughts:

• Catwoman: Seemed fine to me, and for once there was a contextual reason for her to be falling out of her skin-tight, zips-all-the-way-up suit
  • Wonder Woman: Fine, very small and honestly, Batman is about as sexualized as this
  • Suicide Squad: No worse than the rest of the book, which was terrible
  • Starfire: Ridiculous and IMO offensive because of the new mental limitations they put on the character that makes her basically incapable of any relationship more complicated than a roll in the hay (elaboration here)
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: Being a human would mean she would not pose naked in front of a mysterious stranger in her room
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheCrowbar
@RazzaTazz
Never changed in a public lockerroom before?

And again the Greeks had zero issues with nudity.
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: Its not the nudity, its the posing, it would seem out of place if she were clothed, naked just makes it gratuitous.  
TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheCrowbar
@RazzaTazz
She's opening a closest door, I don't see that posing. Can you be more specific on what you're seeing I don't see the issue with the pose.
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RazzaTazz
@TheCrowbar: We do not have to reach a consensus here, nor is there an absolute truth here, I just felt the way she was depicted was gratuitous.  
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Daveyo520

It is really going to be some years until exploitation of women stops in comics if ever. It is really ingrained in the medium. Even if their personalities and they way they are treated get fix, most of them are still running around in unitards. I am really just cynical, but I am not holding my breath. Also fans freak out when they try to change their costumes, look at what happened when they gave Wonder Woman pants.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheCrowbar
@RazzaTazz
Yeah I just to see what you meant, fair enough, I can agree to disagree.
HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HumanNumber

I'm thinking that in the next issues of Red Hood and the Outlaws Starfire isn't going to be sleeping with Jason or Roy or anyone for that matter, at least for a while.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Babs said:

@xerox_kitty said:

lol hahaha. also i really expected you to be saying something about all these sexualized women being bad for comics and that they ruined the characters.

@xerox_kitty: @RazzaTazz:

Catwoman - I wouldnt say i was surprised by how she acted in her comic and i think it seems in character with her and them doing it on the roof doesnt really bother me bc you know they arent going to go to the bat cave or to her place.

Wonder Woman - didnt bother me either. I was fine with what they showed and how they portrayed it. Didnt seem out of character for her either.

Kory - While she seemed different it still seems like Kory to me. I hate that she doesnt remember anyone from her past (i hope they explain why about this more) but i figured she would me over sexualized and sleep with both of them. I didnt expect her to sleep with both of them in the first issue but i like that she says she can do what she wants when she wants rather than taking orders. I dont mind her sleeping around. I am hoping she is going to stand up and be the one giving oreders some times bc she is so powerful compare to the other two.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DEGRAAF

@RazzaTazz:

We can obviously see Starfire took over Powergirls position in the DCU when it comes to chest size

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

The way Catwoman acted was in line with her character, it's Kori that seemed to be way off, it totally caught me off guard, I could've lived with the T&A;, but the way she acted was just off. Wonder Woman didn't bother me, because like the issue of Batwoman last week, it felt more like a situational thing, she was asleep and someone teleported into her room, they weren't throwing a nake Wonder Woman at you, just for the sake of doing it.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By MrMazz

The way Catwoman acted was completly in her charcter besides it makes sense for the two and I got a nice chuckle at the last line lol the costumes stay on.

When has Starfire not been all sexy and stuff? Teen Titans the TV show? So shes a bit more upfront and wanting about it this time. Besides they do explain away teh memory thing and her view of humanity so it all makes sense.

I didn't read Wonder Woman so I don't know about that.

I like this new Harley Quinn I like the new look. She is still crazy and all that just a new coat of paint.