#1 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who enjoys observing the characters passing each other up in appearances on the little "DC Comics Character Page" on the wiki part and find it extremely fascinating? Maybe I am just a weirdo. I dunno, but am I the only one?

#2 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19939 posts) - - Show Bio

What

#3 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't understand the question.

#5 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17260 posts) - - Show Bio

wut?

#6 Edited by RustyRoy (10861 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson has the number 3 spot? Impressive.

#9 Posted by batmannflash (6187 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: huh never looked at the page. But it's definitely interesting! I will probably look at it again in the future

#10 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver: I was kinda surprised when I found that out and kinda not because Dick appeared with Batman everywhere when he was Robin. I was surprised over the amount of appearances Jimmy Olsen and Perry White had and how Barry Allen is left behind when it comes to appearances. Also I totally thought Superman would have the number 1 spot!

#11 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver: I was kinda surprised when I found that out and kinda not because Dick appeared with Batman everywhere when he was Robin. I was surprised over the amount of appearances Jimmy Olsen and Perry White had and how Barry Allen is left behind when it comes to appearances. Also I totally thought Superman would have the number 1 spot!

Barry Allen wasnt in comics for like two decades, it's not that surprising

#12 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: honestly I'm not that surprised. Dick has been around almost as long as Batman himself. As for Superman being number 1, given the number if Batman titles and Bat family titles again I don't think it's too surprising Batman pushes him out slightly. Also, does this includes digital only comics, as that would contribute as well given the Arkham digital comics and the like. The massive number difference between the top 2 and everyone else is what surprised me. I honestly wouldn't have expected such a gap.

#13 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: I thought that he'd at least have more appearances than Supergirl, Batgirl, or Red Robin and Tim has only been around for about 2 decades.

#14 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Yeah. Plus Dick even had his solo adventures in Star Spangled Comics towards the end of the 40's. I thought his appearances would go down when he became Nightwing or due to the 70's when he wasn't in every issue of Batman and Detective. With Superman I thought there would be a bit more of him due to Batman not really getting a crap load of titles until recent years.

The appearance thing includes anything published by DC whether it be individual issues, digital, or trades. Also characters like Captain Marvel and Plastic Man are short of appearances due to them originally being published by other companies. It only records their DC appearances.

#15 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: Yeah, but there's only a difference of 87,which when you think about it, isn't very big at all considering the time frame and numbers being dealt with. I'd put the difference down to the last decade or so to have had a stronger Batman presence.

Understandable then for Captain Marvel and similar who only became DC titles later in their life too then.

The only thing with Dick Grayson that is maybe a little unexpected for me I guess is that he also trumps Wonder Woman, which I wouldn't have previously guessed. Like if there was a question "who has had the most appearances of all characters in DC comics?" I would have expected listed WW before Dick, but yeah. It's definitely an interesting page, worth keeping an eye on now that I know about it.

#16 Edited by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised that Green Arrow is above Aquaman

#17 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6113 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: That is what surprised me about Dick being up so high on the list. I knew he would be up on the higher end, but I didn't think he would top Wonder Woman. After seeing it though and looking at the characters history it would make sense. He had starred in both Batman and Detective for about every issue until the 70's, had his own solo series in the late 40's, in the 50's he was in both Batman and Detective (Wonder Woman only had the Wonder Woman title), World's Finest, and he had the Teen Titans.

If original appearances for Captain Marvel and Plastic Man were counted they would be well over Alan Scott, Catwoman, and Jay Garrick.

For the past decade it does seem like Batman has been getting more exposure and once I think about he probably did have more comic exposure than Superman. He had the regular Batman and Detective, the Superman/Batman book, Justice League books, the spin off books from the cartoons.

#19 Posted by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I didn't even know about this page. Now that you've shown it to me I can tell you no, you won't be the only one anymore ;)

#20 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: Hurrah for acceptance and starting something!

#21 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

That gap between Superman and Nightwing is unreachable. No one will ever come close to filling that.

Also, I guess we have a new Trinity of DC??? Supes, Bats, and Nights?? :P

#22 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: I never really viewed DC as having a Trinity. More of a quartet. Superman, Batman, Nightwing, and Wonder Woman.

The only character I could possibly see filling that gap is maybe Wonder Woman, but there is a pretty big gap between her and Nightwing.

Also I can't believe Jimmy Olsen has more appearances than the Flashes, Martian Manhunter, and Joker.

#23 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: I never really viewed DC as having a Trinity. More of a quartet. Superman, Batman, Nightwing, and Wonder Woman.

The only character I could possibly see filling that gap is maybe Wonder Woman, but there is a pretty big gap between her and Nightwing.

Also I can't believe Jimmy Olsen has more appearances than the Flashes, Martian Manhunter, and Joker.

Totally vowed me too until I thought about it. Olsen has been in a major of the multiple Superman comics since like the 40's; while Barry was dead for 2 decades (and introduced about 2 decades after Olsens debut), Wally really only started getting featured a lot in the late 60's and then on, Manhunter is really only featured in team books (which actually limited him a lot believe it or not), and Joker only appears every so often considering he's a villain.

So when you think about it....wow.

#24 Edited by Dernman (14720 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha Lois Lane has more appearances than most major heroes.

#25 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Perry White more appearances than Red Robin, Batgirl, Supergirl, Barry Allen, and Joker lol.

#26 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Canary is one of the stand outs for me on that list. I only recently discovered the character is one of the Golden Age characters. Also very impressed to discover she is the only Golden Age and Silver Age character to be on both the JSA and JLA. Makes me think she should be a much more prominent character in modern comics.

#27 Posted by Black_Arrow (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

It surprises me that the main supporting cast of Batman and Superman are so high one the list

#28 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were JSA members too. Also did you know Green Arrow, Speedy, and Aquaman were some of the few DC heroes that survived through the 50's when a majority of the DC characters were gone. They appeared in back up features while Superman, Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman had their own books.

Also Martian Manhunter started off one year before the Flash (Barry Allen) ushered in the Silver Age as a backup in Detective Comics.

#29 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: I did not know that.

Black Canary's wiki page needs an edit then. Maybe she was the first to have been on both? Was it that Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were JSA members later in life then?

#30 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: No they probably meant since originally she stayed on Earth 2 and then later moved to Earth 1 to join the Justice League. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were originally members during the Golden Age (though Superman and Batman rarely appeared due to editors belief that they were too exposed so they were left honorary members) since they continued to be published through the 50's when the Justice Society ended as well as most things DC Comics they were soon moved to Earth 1 with the introduction the Flash, Barry Allen in 1956. When looking at it from what the wiki page says they probably meant she was the only one to exist on both Earth 2 and Earth 1 as the same exact character.

#31 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: Jimmy Olsen only appeared about 2 times during the 30's and 40's. It wasn't until the 50's when Jimmy Olsen became a major player in the Superman world. Once I think about Jimmy Olsen being higher than the Flashes isn't that surprising since the Flash is more of a legacy character so whoever is at the mantle of the Flash changes often. Did kinda think Wally would've made more due to a bit more exposure in the Flash, Teen Titans, and Justice League books. I thought Jimmy and Joker would have about the same amount. Also if Martian Manhunter had a load of appearances coming up soon he would totally surpass Jimmy Olsen. The difference between them is one appearance.

#32 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: oh ok. Possibly. Did a bit of research and found she got messed around with a bit in terms of backstory (at one stage she thought she was her mother... Very confusing).

#33 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: She is one of the more confusing characters in DC when it comes to publication history.

#34 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow: who would you say is worse though, her, Donna Troy or Hawkgirl? Lol

#35 Edited by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

"Am I the only one" wHo is excited for Remender's Deadly Class?

June'sVeryOwn

#36 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Hmmm Hawkgirl. Maybe it is because I usually stick to one origin for Donna Troy and consider it as her official.

#37 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

eh. it's neat, if you have the time. i'd imagine the changes occur very slowly.

#39 Posted by AminoAcidMan (121 posts) - - Show Bio

wow, i never really noticed that. Batman and superman has huge gaps. Every month, batman's appearance raises maybe at around 10 because of all his batbooks, JL and others. while wonderwoman only has JL and her book

#40 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@aminoacidman: I am happy for the Superman/Wonder Woman book cause this means more Wonder Woman and Superman appearances. I am wating for the day Superman tops Batman in appearances. It appears to be so close!

@turel_hash_ak_gik: Surprisingly the changes are pretty fast. Mainly due to unfilled characters things for some back issues and the new releases.