All New 52 sales figures - April update

• 89 results
akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

The one thing I find slightly confusing about the chart is that not all of these books are on their 20th issue, yet the column headers are numbered as if they were.

Anyhow, wow, they are bleeding readers on a lot of these titles. Batgirl in particular went south really quickly (though, speaking as one who stopped buying after DotF, that's likely because they were waiting for Simone to come back on a new arc -- so it'll be interesting to see whether the next issue sees a jump or not).

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I say DC would be better of if it limited itself to 30-35 ongoings. 52 is far too many to have ongoing at once.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@akbogert: I see what you're saying. Is the current way clearer, now?

I've heard that the quality on Batgirl isn't that great, especially compared to her Bat-Brethren, and without the consistency to hold up her own title she basically coasts on the Batman collective zeitgeist. Sharp sale swings support that idea; for comparison Batwoman, who gets better reviews, hasn't changed by more than a few hundred any month in the past year, iirc. Although, Batwoman is also a much more isolated title, separate from the rest of the Bat Family, so that alone means she won't get DOTF type bumps like the others would. Still, that's a third of Batgirl's audience lost in three months.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chisoxrox: Yes, definitely ^_^

The sharp sales swing has almost everything to do with the Simone firing snafoo, I'd guess. After the fallout of Death of the Family you had a guest writer (who I, as a fan of Simone, had no interest in), and Simone's first book back was finishing up the tale Fawkes began. So I haven't bought the last couple issues of it but do plan to buy the next one -- and these numbers reflect people like me thus far, so they may reflect me again by springing back up.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Ah yeah, that whole mess would do it too.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By akbogert

@chisoxrox: Granted, could be the book is just shedding. But those numbers re a tad extreme for just disinterest, I'd think.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@akbogert: Although the other Bat Family supporting characters aren't doing so hot after DOTF. Nightwing is down almost as sharply, and Red Hood has an even larger percentage drop from February to April (59,613 to 36,628).

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By akbogert

@chisoxrox: Well I can't speak for Nightwing fans, although the decimation done to him (especially the death he had to deal with, and the complete destruction of everything he had spent the entire series working to build) would probably have turned me off as a reader. As for RHatO, you again have a new writer, though that will only explain an increase in readers henceforth, not the sharpness of the decline. I personally thought Lobdell's last two issues were among his best New 52 work overall, so it's a little disheartening to see them unappreciated.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprising. If I am reading this correctly DCs sales have gone up? That's good.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@lilben42: DC itself is down by 11.96% in terms of issues sold from March. Part of that is the calendar synching up so two of the top sellers (JLA and Aquaman) don't have an issue released during April, and those two put together would be ~120,000 issues out of the 274,000 issue drop, but still, not good.

@akbogert: Thanks for that explanation; that makes sense.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: Although Marvel is down 10.02%, so it's not like DC is slipping much in market share.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, Batman still stomping the yard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am surprised to see Green Lantern out-selling Superman. Good for them!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Threshold has been cancelled already. DC should've used Hal Jordan and Superman to lead the Threshold team.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By Zeeguy91

@chisoxrox: Shouldn't Aquaman be in the top 12??

EDIT: Oh, wait, right. His #19 was delayed too

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Hasn't Green Lantern outsold Superman for years??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@theocitylegend said:

Hasn't Green Lantern outsold Superman for years??

Really? I didn't know that.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@zeeguy91: Good catch. I'll add Aquaman to the JLA note.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated the low seller list to remove the four just cancelled titles. I'm wondering, would this list be better listing all 52 series (with the cancelled ones in italics or something), or would that be too bulky of a table?

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#71  Edited By Rich711

Where did the cancelled titles fall on the list. Just curious.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SupBatz

I updated the low seller list to remove the four just cancelled titles. I'm wondering, would this list be better listing all 52 series (with the cancelled ones in italics or something), or would that be too bulky of a table?

I'd like that. It's nice to have all of the information right in front of you. Even it it does seem a bit bulky.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711: I'll put together a full list of all 52 titles today. The cancelled titles were #1 (Threshold), #2 (Demon Knights), #3 (Dial H), and #6 (Legion of Super Heroes) in lowest sales not yet cancelled.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@supbatz: Done. The list isn't as bulky as I thought; I've included every fifth rank to help break it up too.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How is it that I,vampire and firestorm are still in and Deathstroke and Team 7 are getting the axe? :(

BOO

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that more people read Vibe than Jonah Hex just shows there is something wrong in America.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@fury714: Note that both I, Vampire and Firestorm were cancelled several months ago, they're just running out their current arcs. All of the italicized series are axed. Batwing and Stormwatch are the lowest selling titles still having new issues ordered.

@rich711: Vibe is still riding the remnants of the new series bump. Next month it almost certainly will have slumped below Jonah Hex. But ASW is still too low selling to be out of danger.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate seeing that Nightwing is on a steady decline. Im sure its definitely safe from getting axed.....but still.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fury714: Note that both I, Vampire and Firestorm were cancelled several months ago, they're just running out their current arcs. All of the italicized series are axed. Batwing and Stormwatch are the lowest selling titles still having new issues ordered.

@rich711: Vibe is still riding the remnants of the new series bump. Next month it almost certainly will have slumped below Jonah Hex. But ASW is still too low selling to be out of danger.

Whoops. Sorry. :D Batwing is still a bat-family book. And DC is very very bat-friendly lol. As for stormwatch I have no idea.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@fury714: Also, Batwing just had a complete revamp, down to changing the character and iirc bringing the title to Gotham. (So no more playing Toto in my head while flipping through Batwing in the comic store. I guess the rains down in Africaaaa...) Stormwatch, I don't know either. It's certainly low enough to be axed.

@dark_guyver: Nightwing, along with the other Bat Family books, is also coming off the huge DOTF spike in this table. Since last June, he's sold like this:

MonthSales
June 201250580
July49131
August47484
September (Zero Month)53105
October47167
November50725
December (Joker cover)74404
January 201369634
February62107
March48223
April46976

So compared to what he usually does before DOTF, he's doing OK. Same thing holds for Red Hood and Batgirl.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rich711

I don't understand why they are cancelling Legion after 40 years instead of trying a new writer on it. Paul Levitz has been working on that book for years if it is doing poorly maybe he has run out of ideas for it. Although, frankly, the other books he works on "World's Finest" and DC Comics Presents have been doing poorly as well. Maybe it's time to stop letting him kill titles.

IgiMancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC, please don't cancel Constantine.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@igimancer: That's a pretty mild drop for Constantine, which bodes well for the series (notice how Katana and Vibe each lost about a third of their audience, compared to Constantine's one-fifth?) Next month if he's around 27,500/28,000 or higher, he's likely to hang in for a while.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully, Jim Starlin can save Stormwatch. That book was a real stinker, I was a fan of the Wildstorm run but found it super boring in the New52 and dropped it after issue 9. I'm a fan of Starlin and will pick up 19 & 20 and really hope he can turn it around and make it fit in the DC universe instead of weird mess it was before.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC, please don't cancel Constantine.

There is no way they are dropping Constantine. It sold well and it is Jeff Lemire. Lemire's Green Arrow & Constantine have been DC two best titles in the last couple months. Word will catch on and the numbers will go up, I bet.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people say detective comics sucks, yet it looks like it is selling good. Thats good I guess since I just bought the first 9 issues.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@al_capown: Detective Comics is selling well because he's the goddamn Batman. All five Batman titles (six including Justice League) are in the top eight selling series. Aside from Batman, Inc. which is ending as the writer planned in a couple of issues, the others are probably going to survive until whenever the next reboot is, years down the road.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711: @chisoxrox: @igimancer: Constantine plays a significant role in Trinity War. I'm guessing that will help draw in readers who weren't otherwise paying attention.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I buy the top 6. Surprised Batman Inc finally passed BTDK. Not sure why Batgirl dropped so much. The storyline with her brother was great imo. Thanks for posting this.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gettogaara: Some people were just buying the book for Simone. That drop may end up being recovered after the last issue.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ChiSoxRox

@gettogaara: The Batgirl drop is her coming off the Death of the Family tie-in, which meant huge bumps for Nightwing, and Red Hood too. She's back to her normal issue numbers, and she should stay pretty much constant from here out (unless there's some other big tie-in). Here's what she's done in the past year.

MonthSales
June 201247050
July45010
August43804
September (Zero Month)50437
October (Joker cover)71107
November77475
December 75337
January 201372461
February65751
March51677
April45937