• 61 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Rise of the Planet of the Apes did a successful job rebooting the popular franchise. Now it's up to director Matt Reeves to show us what happens after the Simian Flu wipes out most of humanity. Luckily for us, it's a terrific journey which gives both humans and apes a more than proper amount of focus.

First and foremost, the special effects are astonishing. From the overwhelming amount of emotion you can experience by looking into an ape's eyes to seeing its back soaked in rain, these visuals are phenomenal and never faltered. I kept looking to see if one ape would seem blatantly fake when there were massive crowds of them, but it didn't happen. The plot's constantly working to give the viewer an emotional connection to these fictional beings and the special effects always succeed in making you feel like they're right there on the set with the rest of the cast and crew. It's that good.

The action may not be frequent, but it's most definitely unforgettable. When the big assault finally happened, it kept my jaw dropped virtually the entire time. There was so much buildup to that scene and it delivered an amazingly gripping sequence. The finale is packed with spectacle and right when you think they're about to use a really cliche shot, they hit us with something totally unexpected and it's so very awesome. You begin to feel so invested in these characters and it really adds to the weight of these intense scenes.

No Caption Provided

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes may have superb special effects and thrilling action sequences, but what makes it truly special is its character-driven narrative. The movie kept a tight grip on my emotions and refused to let go. I grew to care about these individuals and the dialogue-driven scenes -- which are a good chunk of the movie -- were incredibly engrossing. In fact, they're so good that you'll likely want to see more of them before the big finale approaches. The script isn't heavy-handed with its messages or loaded with exposition, either. Instead, characters often have what comes off as very natural dialogue and it makes them far more relatable. Sure, the story may take some very familiar steps, but these performances and conversations are so well crafted that it doesn't matter at all (that said, there are some good surprises thrown in the plot). Many of the shots compliment the scenes extremely well, too. There's one shot that's hugely impactful and does such a great job telling us about the plot without needing to actually say anything.

Much of the cast gets an opportunity to deliver an emotional beat and honestly, they all do a fine job. However, Andy Serkis steals the show and gives a downright brilliant performance as Caesar. It's consistently compelling and you always want to see more of the character. This movie puts its characters front and center and does great work showcasing them without ever hitting us with any forced or cheesy moments. Yes, there's a line or two that seemed unnecessary, but overall it's a praiseworthy script and juggles its characters very well.

No Caption Provided

The only complaint that comes to mind is the score occasionally felt a little too over the top. This movie offers some very powerful scenes and the music is more than fitting in those cases, but every now and then it seemed like a more influential song was misused. Again, this didn't happen often and is a pretty minor gripe.

Movies that rely on special effects tend to focus on pleasing your eyes but leave your brain in the dust. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes satisfies both equally. It has all of the elements required to be an excellent summer blockbuster -- amazing visuals and big action sequences -- but it also has a heartfelt script and offers a brilliant character-driven experience. It's intelligent, emotionally gripping, and full of spectacle. It's without question one of the most impressive movies to open this year and absolutely deserves to be seen on the big screen.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Erik

YES!!!

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Cant wait to see this

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Glad to hear it. Rise was one of my favorite movies of 2011. I've been anxiously awaiting the next installment. Good review Gregg.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I only hear positive things about this movie. Can't wait to watch it.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

This movie further proves that Gorilla Grodd can be done in live action.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Amazing

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I haven't seen the first one but people are saying really good things about it so i might have to watch them both

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I haven't seen the first one but people are saying really good things about it so i might have to watch them both

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@scouts1998 said:

Yeah, I'd recommend watching the first just to have a better connection to the characters. But if you can't get around to seeing it before checking out this one, you'll be happy to know a lot of the basics are provided right in the intro.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to watch this!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This review did nothing but make me jealous. I loved the first film, and I'm really excited for the second film. Glad to read such positive results :)

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dondave

Sweet

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I enjoyed Rise and look forward to seeing this movie as well.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yaaas!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cool

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

I might need to go and watch this in the cinema rather than wait for DVD. The reboot was amazing and if the sequel can surpass it as indicated in your review, then Dawn should be a superb film to say the least.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I only hear positive things about this movie. Can't wait to watch it.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

I felt like the trailer gave away too much of the movie.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was spectacular. At first, I was disappointed to hear that the sequel would essentially give us a whole new set of human characters without reference to our human characters from the first film. But all of the positive feedback has really gotten me pumped for the sequel. Friday cannot come fast enough!

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found out that only a few theaters in my country will show this. F**king bulls**t.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm hyped. That CGI is beautiful.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

I might need to go and watch this in the cinema rather than wait for DVD. The reboot was amazing and if the sequel can surpass it as indicated in your review, then Dawn should be a superb film to say the least.

I thought this was a prequel not a reboot?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I thought this was a prequel not a reboot?

Maybe so but I thought there was a prior reason as to why the apes evolved and took over that was in the original Planet of The Apes film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@lvenger: That's certainty a possibility. I've only seen the original and rise of the planet of the apes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: That's certainty a possibility. I've only seen the original and rise of the planet of the apes.

Same here.

Avatar image for robotindisguise
RobotinDisguise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damned dirty humans!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Huh, I'm really excited for this movie, and I loved Rise, but for some reason I feel Planet of the Apes doesn't really work nowadays. It feels and looks kinda goofy watching CGI Apes firing guns and riding horses. Maybe if it was make up I'd feel better, but then you' loose Andy Serkis' great performances. I'll see it next weekend, but I'm very on the fence. All the positive reviews is great though!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 2chimcha3

Very happy to hear this! I loved the first movie, no matter what everyone else said. Happy to here this is just as good, if not better!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Huh, I'm really excited for this movie, and I loved Rise, but for some reason I feel Planet of the Apes doesn't really work nowadays. It feels and looks kinda goofy watching CGI Apes firing guns and riding horses. Maybe if it was make up I'd feel better, but then you' loose Andy Serkis' great performances. I'll see it next weekend, but I'm very on the fence. All the positive reviews is great though!

As someone who enjoyed Rise but thought Caesar riding a horse in it looked and felt silly, you'll be happy to know that same thought never crossed my mind during Dawn.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ninjablade09

@k4tzm4n said:

@ninjablade09 said:

As someone who enjoyed Rise but thought Caesar riding a horse in it looked and felt silly, you'll be happy to know that same thought never crossed my mind during Dawn.

That's good to hear. Probably feel a lot better watching it in the theater than on a computer screen.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@ninjablade09 said:

That's good to hear. Probably feel a lot better watching it in the theater than on a computer screen.

Definitely!

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first movie and I've only heard positives about the second. Looks like I'm in.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought the first one was pretty good. Hoping this one is as amazing as early buzz has been!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only problem with the first film was with how the Apes lacked any true antagonistic qualities of the Apes from the original films. You had the one bad ape, but that was really about it.

Hopefully this film takes steps to move them towards that villainous turn?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ostyo said:

My only problem with the first film was with how the Apes lacked any true antagonistic qualities of the Apes from the original films. You had the one bad ape, but that was really about it.

Hopefully this film takes steps to move them towards that villainous turn?

You'll be happy to know that Koba, the ape you're talking about, plays a big role in the movie.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad it's getting good reviews. I liked the first one. So I definitely want to see this one.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Novemberx2

I'm already looking forward to the sequel "brunch of the planet of the apes"

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

Man, Golden Gate Bridge just can't get a break lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"What's a great snack to bring to this movie?"

"Caesar Salad". (I'm so sorry).

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn dirty apes ;P

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw this last night and one of the best movies this year so far! :)

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dbatdog said:

Saw this last night and one of the best movies this year so far! :)

Agreed! Tempted to see it a second time.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched it. Though I hated him, Koba stole the show for me. When he went "happy-trigger" gangster on the humans, all I could say was,"You damn, dirty ape."

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so freaking excited for this movie, the first one was an amazing suprise.