k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

A lot of things helped turnDawn of the Planet of the Apes into a terrific movie. The impressive motion capture technology, the performances, the directing... it's all so good. But there's one reason that really helped it leave a lasting impression: It's a movie that's about the characters. It's not about the bigger picture and these individuals are just along for ride; it's about who they are and what makes them stand apart from the rest. Sure, there's a ton of visual spectacle and popcorn entertainment, but thanks to a smart script, the movie did a fantastic job establishing an emotional connection. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a more than solid way to bring this franchise back, and the sequel really stepped up, well, just about every single thing possible. However, there's a 10 year gap between the two. The sequel revolves around the human group and Caesar's group. The human group primarily chimes in on Malcolm, his son, Alex, and Malcolm's new wife, Ellie. Malcolm's previous wife, Rita, was killed by the Simian Flu and we jump right into them attempting to survive in this new world. The other story revolves around Caesar doing his best to build a new society. BOOM Studios!'s new limited series (written by Michael Moreci, illustrated by Dan McDaid, colored by Jason Wordie) follows that very same formula and the same characters (well, Ellie isn't in this chapter) as it takes a look at what happened between the two movies. We know where these characters end up, but we don't know how.

Even though this is a first issue, it's not loaded with exposition. The characters' goals and dilemmas are presented in a natural way; it doesn't feel like it's blatantly spelling the situation out for the reader. There aren't any high stakes or drastic buildup here, it just eases us into the situation and allows us to understand what these characters are going through and what they need to do. There isn't a jaw-dropping cliffhanger or an epic development that'll leave you stunned; it very much feels like the beginning of a new journey. There's just the right amount of action and character and we get a wee bit of action, you know, just to make sure there's some excitement! For some, that'll be disappointing and leave them feeling like the issue's a tad slow (honestly, I wouldn't have minded a stronger cliffhanger), but it's applying a simple yet still meaningful message. It strikes a tone that feels appropriate for the movies and focuses on what's important: Character. Plus, the addition of Pope has me very curious about what'll happen with that character. It's safe to assume he'll end up dead or banished, but I'm most definitely interested in seeing how it'll all play out! Also, I'm really hoping we see more of Koba as the story progresses. Caesar's a great character and deserves the attention as he works to enhance his society, but it would be a thrill to see some more signs of Koba's true nature.

The Bad

Much of the artwork feels appropriate for this universe and I appreciate all of the close ups so we can really get a read on a character's thoughts just by looking at their expression, but the handling of the brief action scenes make them a little difficult to follow, especially the first one with Caesar. Also, as said above, this is a relatively slow start that aims to immerse us once again in this universe and chime back in on a handful of the key characters. It's unlikely anything here is going to blow you away or make you fall in love with it, but it is a proper return to these characters and, assuming you liked the movie, will leave you more than curious enough to pick up the next issue.

It really shouldn't need to be said, but this is obviously something you won't appreciate as much if you haven't watched the latest movie. There isn't a bunch of exposition here to cater to new readers; it pretty much assumes you already saw the movie if you're paying $3.99 to read this. This doesn't impact the score, but it's worth pointing out. This isn't a good intro to this universe. If you want to give it a shot, watch the movies first.

The Verdict

Is this a worthy addition to the story that has been established by such a great movie? Well, only time will tell, but right now it's off to a very good start! As someone who really loved Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, it's great seeing this creative team is able to duplicate the movie's tone so well. This isn't over-the-top and it instead focuses on giving us a connection to these lead characters and reminds us why we care about them. Little things like dialogue stemming from an ape's hand as they use sign language is a nice touch, as is the rougher text when they speak. It may not be stunning debut, but it treats this universe (and the reader) with respect and leaves you wanting to see where this journey will go next. I'm very excited to see what happens in the next issue, especially since we know Malcolm and Caesar won't meet for quite some time. If you really love Dawn and its characters, this should be an obvious purchase.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I NEED TO SPEAK TO CAESAR!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@oscars94 said:

I NEED TO SPEAK TO CAESAR!

He's busy making sure his people have a safe future, so here's your answer:

no animated GIF

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm a big fan of the Apes movies and Dawn was one of my favorite movies this year. I wish this had been released sooner. My curiosity peaked when this was announced, but 4 months later I'm left uninterested.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The best movie of 2014 is getting a comic?

I'm aboard.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

My store didn't even get any of these. I was not happy! Really love Michael Moreci's Roche Limit.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers