Official Daredevil Fans Against Waid Thread

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Wait NOW I get why you guys don't like Waid's Daredevil! You think the more iconic and true to the spirit take on the character is when he is given the pulp noir/pulp fiction treatment by writers such as Millar, Brubaker or Diggle who focus on the darker stories in contrast to Waid's more swashbuckling take on the character which is how he was first created. Now I see where you're coming from.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

@lvenger said:

Wait NOW I get why you guys don't like Waid's Daredevil! You think the more iconic and true to the spirit take on the character is when he is given the pulp noir/pulp fiction treatment by writers such as Millar, Brubaker or Diggle who focus on the darker stories in contrast to Waid's more swashbuckling take on the character which is how he was first created. Now I see where you're coming from.

Yup thats' true

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@theacidskull: It's them you gotta appeal to, not me. I like a lot of Waid's DD run. That idea came to me after reading something of the OP's comments.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull: It's them you gotta appeal to, not me. I like a lot of Waid's DD run. That idea came to me after reading something of the OP's comments.

the hate train don't stop for nothin

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

yes, thats true, but that doesn't mean you should hate it. Look i get it but mark waid has been doing well and has been giving us great stories.

I don't find his stories great at all especially if I compare them to writers who have came before him.Even when looking at Mark Waid's run without a bias opinion his stories come across average at best.I really think you should read some of DD's greatest defining stories before saying these stories are great.Who knows even after you read his old stories you still might love Waid's run or you might hate it.Take the Dare buddy lol.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I haven't read anything in his run, but they may be doing this "light hearted" DD so they can fit him in the MCU.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

I haven't read anything in his run, but they may be doing this "light hearted" DD so they can fit him in the MCU.

I hate it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: They should sell the rights to sony or fox. This new spiderman is a little dark and x-men has always been dark.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Even though i enjoy Waid's run it reads more like Spiderman than Daredevil. It's a nice change of pace but it's like making Superman dark ang gritty.
I have only read the first volume btw.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still sucks,can't wait until he leaves

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#217  Edited By bigtewell
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigtewell: Yea I enjoy it

I don't think we'll enjoy the next few issues because the tone is based off Waid's run

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Hopefully the next writer after him takes a different approach.After this arc ends we still have two more issues left

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Wait, are you saying Mark Waid's Daredevil is actually ending?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134: Wait, are you saying Mark Waid's Daredevil is actually ending?

I wish.Daredevil currently has an 8 issue mini series with various writers

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6
deactivated-5cc95e8faaad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first arc of Dark Nights was so fucking good. Some throwbacks to his entire history in issue 3. Amazing writing too, I loved this quote - "Today's good.. never outruns past sin. Can't earn what's already been paid for.. So don't try." - I won't judge a book by its cover, but that holiday cover doesn't look promising. Although I thought he was facing off against Shocker in the next few issues?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first arc of Dark Nights was so fucking good. Some throwbacks to his entire history in issue 3. Amazing writing too, I loved this quote - "Today's good.. never outruns past sin. Can't earn what's already been paid for.. So don't try." - I won't judge a book by its cover, but that holiday cover doesn't look promising. Although I thought he was facing off against Shocker in the next few issues?

I think he is.The cover above is the last issue to that story arc

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#228  Edited By TheCannon

I haven't read the series, but it looks atrocious. DD shouldn't be written in a more light hearted way, he should be written very dark (which Marvel is really lacking right now). The art also looks awful.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read the series, but it looks atrocious. DD shouldn't be written in a more light hearted way, he should be written very dark (which Marvel is really lacking right now). The art also looks awful.

lol

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By QueenCorp15

I love waids run but waid is also my fav writer but i dont believe its as good as miller & bendis runs

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seriously long for the day Mark Waid leaves this book I just hope the next writer doesn't try to copy his campy style

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I've got to ask what's with that picture? I've seen it a few times today with no context whatsoever.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By daredevil21134

@tikhunt said:

@daredevil21134: I've got to ask what's with that picture? I've seen it a few times today with no context whatsoever.

I'm not sure but I hope they don't try to add a sense of witty humor to the Punisher like they did to Daredevil

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#237  Edited By Wolverine008

I'm feeling Mark Waid's Daredevil.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Lol I can understand not liking the run but some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously IMO. At the end of the day it's optional entertainment about characters who aren't real

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Lol I can understand not liking the run but some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously IMO. At the end of the day it's optional entertainment about characters who aren't real

LOL nobody is taking it too seriously, we are all aware Daredevil is a fictional character we just think it sucks that we no longer enjoy a series that was so great.And since comedy books and characters are so well liked today it's not a surprised that this series is popular.We just wanted to vent our frustration and to see how many people agree with us

Avatar image for littleredrobinhood
LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in: I've never really been interested in Daredevil until the recent run. Put it on Waid or whatever, but, it's my #1 book these days and that ain't no accident. I've been readin' comics since the 80s. This Daredevil solo book's run for the last few years has been absolutely stellar.

I texted a friend about it recently only to discover that he ALSO fell in love with the recent DD run, even though he never read DD before.

So, yea, maybe it's not like the old stuff. But, that doesn't mean it's bad. According to folks like myself and my friend, the new run is BETTER. Sure, taste is in the eye of the beholder and all that. But, it just seems a little silly how 2 or 3 people, who voiced their opinion a looooong time ago, seem to be keeping this thread's hate train chugging down the tracks. If you don't like DD anymore, read something else and let us new fans enjoy ourselves!!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

......Daredevil has THIS many fans? GAWD DAMMN

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@littleredrobinhood: What would you say if you were a massive Batman fan but one day DC decided he was to dark so instead turned it back to the gay old days when Batman was all bright and funny? Also are we not aloud opinions? Are we only aloud to voice them if there the same as everybody else's?

LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I've been around the internet long enough to know the first reaction to disagreement is "can't we voice our opinions!? why are you trying to censor the me!?" Which is why I thought I'd get out in front of that nonsense and acknowledge that you had already voiced your opinion.... many times..... for over a year.

But, don't worry, I get it that when you love something, and that thing changes into something you can no longer love, it stings - I get that, I really do.* All's I'm saying is, the way coolest way to handle that sting is to find something that doesn't sting, enjoy that, and not rain on other people's parade (for over a year) just cuz you don't like the tune they're marching to.

I'm sure you move on from other books that no longer appeal to you, right? You don't just grind an axe for every book that made changes you don't enjoy, right? So, what's different with DD? Maybe you think you love DD so much that all the things I've said here just don't matter. Well, that could be. But, it seems pretty evident that you don't love DD. You love the way DD was several years ago. So maybe put the axe and the grindstone away for a little while and, hey, it's comic books, if you don't like something, it's bound to be retconned sooner or later, right? =) Hop on back at that time! For now, for the love of devil, you 3ish people don't need to maintain this thread like a holy crusade. 3ish people does not a revolution make.

From what I can gather, the Waid run is not as strong sales-wise as prior DD runs (so that's in your favor! rejoice and be patient!), but, it is critically acclaimed and much beloved by the many, many readers who are supporting the book. Can't that be good enough for now?

*books that broke my heart and I simply moved on:

several incarnations of Teen Titans, Red Robin, NightWing, The Flash (Fasted Man Alive was it?), Spider-Man (Doc Ock? really?), pretty much the entire Ultimate universe... the list goes on. that's just the recent past.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By daredevil21134

@littleredrobinhood said:

@jonny_anonymous: I've been around the internet long enough to know the first reaction to disagreement is "can't we voice our opinions!? why are you trying to censor the me!?" Which is why I thought I'd get out in front of that nonsense and acknowledge that you had already voiced your opinion.... many times..... for over a year.

But, don't worry, I get it that when you love something, and that thing changes into something you can no longer love, it stings - I get that, I really do.* All's I'm saying is, the way coolest way to handle that sting is to find something that doesn't sting, enjoy that, and not rain on other people's parade (for over a year) just cuz you don't like the tune they're marching to.

I'm sure you move on from other books that no longer appeal to you, right? You don't just grind an axe for every book that made changes you don't enjoy, right? So, what's different with DD? Maybe you think you love DD so much that all the things I've said here just don't matter. Well, that could be. But, it seems pretty evident that you don't love DD. You love the way DD was several years ago. So maybe put the axe and the grindstone away for a little while and, hey, it's comic books, if you don't like something, it's bound to be retconned sooner or later, right? =) Hop on back at that time! For now, for the love of devil, you 3ish people don't need to maintain this thread like a holy crusade. 3ish people does not a revolution make.

From what I can gather, the Waid run is not as strong sales-wise as prior DD runs (so that's in your favor! rejoice and be patient!), but, it is critically acclaimed and much beloved by the many, many readers who are supporting the book. Can't that be good enough for now?

*books that broke my heart and I simply moved on:

several incarnations of Teen Titans, Red Robin, NightWing, The Flash (Fasted Man Alive was it?), Spider-Man (Doc Ock? really?), pretty much the entire Ultimate universe... the list goes on. that's just the recent past.

LOL,this is funny I really don't get why 3 people's opinion would bother you when the series has plenty of praise on every corner of the internet..What's wrong with having one thread that doesn't praise it? Daredevil is my favorite character and I damn near own every single issue of his entire run going back to Stan Lee so I love the character to the core. I just don't like when he's written like Peter Parker and it's nice to have a place to vent my frustrations. I do drop books but I will never drop Daredevil and it sucks that I don't enjoy it anymore.Revolution?Holy crusade? Come on man lol.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: exactly. Other is bjillion threads proclaiming there undying log for this run so what's wrong with just one thread that doesn't

LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: @daredevil21134:

uhhh, and this is just off da top o' my noodle but, maybe it's because this thread, which doesn't have the most nuanced subject, has 2x more posts than the next most popular thread? maybe that's just a little weird for a thread kept alive by 3ish people?

but hey, if you think you're providing a service that couldn't be accomplished by some private messages, by all means, keep that hate train chuggin'!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
LittleRedRobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: don't worry, I'm over it. you fellas have fun with your dead horse. I'll be readin' comics.

for the record, I know I probably came off as hostile towards you 3, but I was just trying to cut through some silliness. I mean you 3 no harm or disrespect and look forward to pleasant exchanges in the future - DD-related or otherwise.

it's what Foggy would have wanted ^_^

cool?