OMG 7/5 FOR THIS ISSUE!

#154 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

But... I like Mark Waid's DD.

#155 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadcool said:

But... I like Mark Waid's DD.

#156 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio
#157 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11314 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about picking up DD starting with the Marvel Now rebranding but this thread completely killed it for me lol.

#158 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about picking up DD starting with the Marvel Now rebranding but this thread completely killed it for me lol.

Opps lol

#159 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#160 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio
#161 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark waids Daredevil is awesome!

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

#162 Edited by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

Of course you would say that man you never knew the character before Waid lol.Still glad you're a fan though

#163 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

Of course you would say that man you never knew the character before Waid lol.Still glad you're a fan though

But you have to admit though :P, the last issue were good.

#164 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@theacidskull said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

But you have to admit though :P, the last issue were good.

agreed

#165 Edited by lewismcgregor (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, I've come to apologize (especially to @daredevil21134) as I will be stepping off the DD fans against Waid train.

I've always had a personal connection to DD, my eye sight is really dodgy and loosing my sight completely has always been a constant fear I've had. Even though Matt has super senses, knowing he still strides through his life as a blind man has always empowered me.

Recently I've been waiting for a new job contract to start, and I've had some time to kill, with horrible British summer weather there hasn't been that much to do, so I've re-read the entire collection of Vol.2 bar Vision Quest, with Waid's 3 TPB also waiting for me at the other end... and you know what, it was so nice get into. I'm about 10/11 books away now from owning every DD TPB out there, I missed DD Black Widow: Abattoir the other day on an eBay bid by like £0.97p. So this message isn't coming from someone who has just skimmed the surfaces of the character.

When I was nearing the end of Vol 2, I don't know if it was because Bendis' run had ended or because Diggle just isn't that great in general, but it just wasn't fun anymore. I know the word 'fun' in Daredevil in general doesn't really exist as the series is so dark, but scenes like when Foggy is in protective custardy and the place is bombarded with the hand. Those scenes which made me say something stupid like "Oh man this is awesome", they were becoming far and few. The pages were becoming heavy to turn. The spark of DD died somewhere in Vol.2 and Shadowland didn't help it either, Matt's life was constantly shat on, there was hardly any sunlight and the series was just becoming depressing. There was never any hope for Matt, and when there was, it was quickly taken away from him.

There were two logical ways to go with DD after his trampled on life, kill him off for good or do a complete turn around. Recently I very nearly broke up with my girlfriend because of my attachment to a project I've been working on for the past 3 years. Well, in fact we did break up for a few weeks before we talked it over again, but for me within that time everything I had known, I had planned was gone, the girl I've been with for years, the ideas of children and marriage with her, all of our plans we had were gone. I was a mess for a little bit but then the guys would ring me up and take me to wherever, as long as it helped me focus on anything bar my girlfriend. I was playing golf at one point!!! I fucking hate golf. Even dancing in clubs which I hate more than golf. I was completely out of character, but it was to keep me from falling back down into that pit of nothing, and that's what I can now see Mark Waid has done with Matt's life, and he often references it in dialogue between Matt & Foggy.

I know there were a few ways Marvel could have gone with Daredevil, someone mentioned about him returning to Japan which would have been cool to see in Bendis' run, but now I can really see that the happy-go-lucky approach was needed, not for the readers, or for the sales, but for Matt and his sanity.

#166 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11314 posts) - - Show Bio
#167 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@arturocalakayvee: You should pick up the Bendis run if your interested in DD

Bendis run.. noted, thanks. Do you know what volume it is?

• Daredevil v2 (May 2001-March 2006):
    • Volume 2 (hc, 288 pages, 2002, ISBN 0-7851-0926-9) collects:
      • "Underboss" (with Alex Maleev, in #26-31, 2001-2002)
      • "Out" (with Alex Maleev, in #32-37, 2002)
    • Volume 3 (hc, 320 pages, 2004, ISBN 0-7851-1106-9) collects:
      • "Trial of the Century" (with Manuel Gutierrez and Terry Dodson, in #38-40, 2002-2003)
      • "Lowlife" (with Alex Maleev, in #41-45, 2003)
      • "Hardcore" (with Alex Maleev, in #46-50, 2003)
    • Volume 4 (hc, 280 pages, 2005, ISBN 0-7851-1342-8) collects:
      • "The King of Hell's Kitchen" (with Alex Maleev, in #56-60, 2004)
      • "The Widow" (with Alex Maleev, in #61-64, 2004)
      • "The Universe" (with Alex Maleev, Chris Bachalo, Michael Golden, Greg Horn, Phil Hester and P. Craig Russell, in #65, 2004)
    • Volume 5 (hc, 256 pages, 2006, ISBN 0-7851-2110-2) collects:
      • "Golden Age" (with Alex Maleev, in #66-70, 2004-2005)
      • "Decalogue" (with Alex Maleev, in #71-75, 2005)
    • Volume 6 (hc, 304 pages, 2006, ISBN 0-7851-2111-0) collects:
      • "The Murdock Papers" (with Alex Maleev, in #76-81, 2005-2006)
      • "Wake Up" (with David Mack, in #16-19, 2001)
#168 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@arturocalakayvee: You should pick up the Bendis run if your interested in DD

Bendis run.. noted, thanks. Do you know what volume it is?

You may as well start with David Macks run actually, Issue 9 of Vol 2. It runs directly in to the Benids run and then Brubaker

#169 Posted by Dernman (14901 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been much of a fan of Daredevil I've only read around the edges of the character. I've always thought about giving him a chance to see if I would like him. This current run was the shot I gave him. Now instead of not knowing how I feel about the character and his book I know I don't like him. I'm hoping it's just who's writing him now because DD is a classic and I want to like him.

#170 Edited by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I've never been much of a fan of Daredevil I've only read around the edges of the character. I've always thought about giving him a chance to see if I would like him. This current run was the shot I gave him. Now instead of not knowing how I feel about the character and his book I know I don't like him. I'm hoping it's just who's writing him now because DD is a classic and I want to like him.

Read some of his old stuff bro

#171 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

Just A question ? could you guys tell me what you don't like :), i just want to know, is it the execution or the fact that the general style has changed?

#172 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

Just A question ? could you guys tell me what you don't like :), i just want to know, is it the execution or the fact that the general style has changed?

I think I already told you my opinion?Didn't I?

#173 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

my brain is like a vortex XD, but anyways i remember you guys saying something about NOT having the same tone as the old books.

#174 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@theacidskull said:

my brain is like a vortex XD, but anyways i remember you guys saying something about NOT having the same tone as the old books.

LOL,add that with that with his witty personality and you have half of the reasons why I don't like it.You could always go back and read the previous pages bro XD

#175 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@theacidskull said:

LOL,add that with that with his witty personality and you have half of the reasons why I don't like it.You could always go back and read the previous pages bro XD

:P

#176 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5008 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been a fan of DD since Frank Millers original run and I can say without a doubt this run is up there with Miller, Bendis and Brubaker. Haters gonna hate. Critics love this book as well as most fans. You can't please everyone. Mark Waid is crafting a masterpiece and the art has been phenomenal.

#177 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Yea and sheep are going to flock. Considering DD is one of Marvels lowest selling books not every fan is happy.

#178 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

i am actually really enjoying Mark Waid's run on DD i mean dont get me wrong i like what bedis and miller did with the character but its nice to see matt just enjoying himself a little or at least trying to could Waid have toned it down a bit maybe but i really am enjoying seeing him smile again and practicing law which is something i do enjoy him doing and i mean its not as if he is totally fine we have been introduced to the idea that he is worse of than he lets on i understand though if the DD you want to see is the more pulp/noir version but i think this is a nice breath of fresh air for him the same way doc ock is for spidey but that's a another issue entirely please don't bite my head off i just wanted to maybe put a different light on the situation while putting my 2 cents in

#179 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11314 posts) - - Show Bio
#180 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid's run being up there with Miller Bendis and Brubaker is without a doubt the funniest thing iv'e heard all day.I wouldn't even say Waid is better than Nocenti,Chichester,O'neil,Kelly or Kesel.Haters will hate and i'm not ashamed to be a Mark Waid hater.

#181 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

@vance_astro: @jonny_anonymous: Wow, thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate it!

Yup :)

@daredevil21134

said:

Mark Waid's run being up there with Miller Bendis and Brubaker is without a doubt the funniest thing iv'e heard all day.I wouldn't even say Waid is better than Nocenti,Chichester,O'neil,Kelly or Kesel.Haters will hate and i'm not ashamed to be a Mark Waid hater.

Most writers that have touched Daredevil have been pretty good. I wouldn't put Waid's run above those you named either and I ACTUALLY like it.

#182 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#183 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
#184 Posted by Teerack (5741 posts) - - Show Bio

Waid's DD is the best Marvel title.

#185 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17807 posts) - - Show Bio

I know you guys are gonna give me hell for this but , even Though i;ve read relatively a few DD stories, none of them interested me as much as waid managed to do it. i get that the idea is radically different, but the execution isn't bad.

i know bad execution when it see it ( Cough"Arrons hulk" Cough)

#186 Edited by Donovan Montgomery (5428 posts) - - Show Bio

I was enjoying it till he brought my fears to the page......not sure if I'll bother with the rest of this arc or not >:[

Makes me glad Marvels doing these minis for DD, I can still get my fix.

#187 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#188 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5428 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, there's only the one disappointment so far.

It was expected but definitely still not wanted.

#189 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#190 Edited by Donovan Montgomery (5428 posts) - - Show Bio
#191 Edited by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio
#192 Posted by TDK_1997 (14653 posts) - - Show Bio

The last issue disappointed me.I expected a lot more from Bullseye's return.

#193 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I wish he didn't bring Bullseye back.He made it see like a waste

#194 Posted by TDK_1997 (14653 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Same here.Or if he did bring him up not so easily waste him up.Now he is crippled,blind and deaf.

#195 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Same here.Or if he did bring him up not so easily waste him up.Now he is crippled,blind and deaf.

Yeah,definitely a waste

#196 Edited by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

So instead of using a chance of character development over that he had kill somebody he did the normal thing a bought back the villain.... way to go Mark Waid.

#197 Edited by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@tdk_1997 said:

So instead of using a chance of character development over that he had kill somebody he did the normal thing a bought back the villain.... way to go Mark Waid.

Worst, he's even trying to make a debate as to whether Matt was possessed when he killed Bullseye when Andy Diggle clearly stated Matt killing Bullseye was what allowed the Beast to possess him..But Mark Waid worshippers will defend him because his stories are so incredible and epic (sigh).

#198 Posted by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Worst, he's even trying to make a debate as to whether Matt was possessed when he killed Bullseye when Andy Diggle clearly stated Matt killing Bullseye was what allowed the Beast to possess him..But Mark Waid worshippers will defend him because his stories are so incredible and epic (sigh).

Now I haven't read Andy Diggle's Daredevil (and don't plan on it in the near future) but if you bring Bullseye back, the debate seems irrelevant because well he didn't kill Bullseye (or how is his return explained?). Now if Bullseye is alive DD most have been possessed before he did it. Something else most have trigger it since well yeah him killing Bullseye is out of the picture. Sigh now my head hurts because of PIS/WIS.

#199 Posted by daredevil21134 (11364 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@tupiaz said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Now I haven't read Andy Diggle's Daredevil (and don't plan on it in the near future) but if you bring Bullseye back, the debate seems irrelevant because well he didn't kill Bullseye (or how is his return explained?). Now if Bullseye is alive DD most have been possessed before he did it. Something else most have trigger it since well yeah him killing Bullseye is out of the picture. Sigh now my head hurts because of PIS/WIS.

lol

#200 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should put jeff lemire paul dini jh williams or justin gray & jimmy palmiotti on daredevil after waid i think they could be good. But dont get me wrong ive been livin waids run. Its not as good as bendis tho