I think he just likes to debate

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@tupiaz: You really need to make your mind up as to if you like it or not

I have said I have dislike of it because of certain plot holes. Not the tone or anything in that regard. Daredevil don't need to be dark and gritty. Dark and gritty can get trivial. However being angry for not being acknowledged for being a true Daredevil fan while at the same time claim others aren't is just getting once own medicine. I have never been nor will I ever be a judge of who is a real Daredevil fan. it just seem silly. You can have read a lot of Daredevil and being a fan and like Mark Waid's run.

The point is that Daredevil don't need to be dark and gritty you can make good stories. If you only like dark and gritty stories that is fine. But that is a preference and taste not a matter of quality. Do I personally prefer having a dark daredevil? Yes, does that mean that you can't make a great Daredevil story there is light? No, I can read a comic and rationally see it is a good story because of my taste I however don't.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454  Edited By tupiaz

@jonny_anonymous said:

There is no reason to address me in third person. However yes I do like to debate that is why I'm on a forum to exchange opinions and arguments. I still stand by my argument stated earlier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Waid is the best.

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@madeinbangladesh: Sure, a lot of fans really don't like Waid-Devil.

I haven't seen that many dissenters outside of here in a way that Hulk fans were basically lobbying against Waid for his Hulk run. Unlike his Hulk work, Waid has the critics and some die hard fans on his side so it's not as if it's obvious criticism. Even Tony and Matt on either last week's or the week's before podcast dismissed you critics of Waid's run based on a lack of understanding so I don't think it's quite as general as other times Waid has mucked up.

I listened to one of the recent podcasts in which they mentioned the criticism of Waid's "Daredevil," but they didn't really dismiss the criticism for "a lack of understanding." But we may be discussing different shows--I've only heard a few. In the one to which I listened, they said Waid's DD is a book for people who have never liked DD.

When it comes to online reviewers--as in so many other things--there are always several distorting factors. There is, for example, an unfortunate tendency toward fad-ism. Waid-as-hot-writer becomes a fad meme and everyone just repeats it. This can benefit good creators, but the door swings both ways (perhaps the most amusing example of this was a few years ago when, for two or three years, you'd have thought, from reading internet reviewers, that Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl was the greatest comic on the market). There's also the dirty little (open) secret that reviewers frequently get free books from publishers for review, a relationship that can be abruptly interrupted if said reviewer begins vigorously trashing said publishers' products. This is part of why you'll virtually never see online reviewers rise up, as a community and mass-condemn any particular bad work. When you see one reviewer after another describe Waid's removal of DD's soul as "a breath of fresh air" and begin to suspect they're all reading from the same script? Keep on suspecting. Another that sort of fits into the "distorting factors" category is one I've already mentioned--a common theme among those who praise his DD work is that the one offering the praise had either never read pre-Waid Daredevil or had never liked it.

The usual caveats: one must always be wary of such generalizations. There are some people who call themselves longtime DD fans who say they like Waid's work and no doubt many who fall into that category but never say a thing one way or the other. Like others here, I've struggled to understand what they see in it. My feeling--there isn't enough actual evidence to even call it a suspicion--is that much of the audience for Waid's DD (after one filters out the die-hards and completists) are merely Waid fans. People who like his work and followed him there (they always follow him--that's in his numbers) or people who only like his soulless take on DD (and would be appalled by the work of any of the other DD writers who worked on the book for more than three decades before Waid).

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

There is no reason to address me in third person. However yes I do like to debate that is why I'm on a forum to exchange opinions and arguments. I still stand by my argument stated earlier.

I guess,I wasn't trying be offensive if that's what you think.But if it makes you feel better that I mention you by name i'll try to remember to

@lvenger said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@madeinbangladesh: Sure, a lot of fans really don't like Waid-Devil.

I haven't seen that many dissenters outside of here in a way that Hulk fans were basically lobbying against Waid for his Hulk run. Unlike his Hulk work, Waid has the critics and some die hard fans on his side so it's not as if it's obvious criticism. Even Tony and Matt on either last week's or the week's before podcast dismissed you critics of Waid's run based on a lack of understanding so I don't think it's quite as general as other times Waid has mucked up.

I listened to one of the recent podcasts in which they mentioned the criticism of Waid's "Daredevil," but they didn't really dismiss the criticism for "a lack of understanding." But we may be discussing different shows--I've only heard a few. In the one to which I listened, they said Waid's DD is a book for people who have never liked DD.

When it comes to online reviewers--as in so many other things--there are always several distorting factors. There is, for example, an unfortunate tendency toward fad-ism. Waid-as-hot-writer becomes a fad meme and everyone just repeats it. This can benefit good creators, but the door swings both ways (perhaps the most amusing example of this was a few years ago when, for two or three years, you'd have thought, from reading internet reviewers, that Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl was the greatest comic on the market). There's also the dirty little (open) secret that reviewers frequently get free books from publishers for review, a relationship that can be abruptly interrupted if said reviewer begins vigorously trashing said publishers' products. This is part of why you'll virtually never see online reviewers rise up, as a community and mass-condemn any particular bad work. When you see one reviewer after another describe Waid's removal of DD's soul as "a breath of fresh air" and begin to suspect they're all reading from the same script? Keep on suspecting. Another that sort of fits into the "distorting factors" category is one I've already mentioned--a common theme among those who praise his DD work is that the one offering the praise had either never read pre-Waid Daredevil or had never liked it.

The usual caveats: one must always be wary of such generalizations. There are some people who call themselves longtime DD fans who say they like Waid's work and no doubt many who fall into that category but never say a thing one way or the other. Like others here, I've struggled to understand what they see in it. My feeling--there isn't enough actual evidence to even call it a suspicion--is that much of the audience for Waid's DD (after one filters out the die-hards and completists) are merely Waid fans. People who like his work and followed him there (they always follow him--that's in his numbers) or people who only like his soulless take on DD (and would be appalled by the work of any of the other DD writers who worked on the book for more than three decades before Waid).

What do you say to those that say DD doesn't need to be dark and gritty to be fun?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458  Edited By tupiaz

@daredevil21134: Thank you, I would appreciate if you mention my name instate in the future. I didn't think you did to offend me so there is no problem.

@jriddle73 said:

This is a problem. However I do think people like the comics. Sites often just only review what the like and don't mention what they don't like. This however is also happening in movie, game and book industry. It is not a problem that is only existing in comics.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459  Edited By daredevil21134

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134: Thank you, I would appreciate if you mention my name instate in the future. I didn't think you did to offend me so there is no problem.

@jriddle73 said:

This is a problem. However I do think people like. Sites often just only review what the like and don't mention what they don't like. This however is also happening in movie-, game and book industry. It is not a problem that is only existing in comics.

I agree on that as well.I do think Comic Vine IGN Newsrama and Cbr have to say good stuff about certain books or Marvel/DC won't give them their precious interviews or exclusive first looks on new coming books. That's why less popular books like Iron Patriot and Shang Chi get the real harsh reviews,books that are expected to fail before they begin.get the reviewers real feelings.Writers like Waid have to be extremely bad to get negative reviews and since he writes DD like Spider-Man it's found it's audience and other website have amplified it

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460  Edited By jriddle73

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73 said:

This is a problem. However I do think people like. Sites often just only review what the like and don't mention what they don't like. This however is also happening in movie-, game and book industry. It is not a problem that is only existing in comics.

Yes. My earliest awareness of the problem, in fact, happened years ago with a then-up-and-coming cult movie site that was suddenly spending an inordinate amount of time granting positive reviews to utterly mediocre and even outright bad "mainstream" flicks. I wrote and inquired, and the fellow who ran the site openly confessed that both the positive reviews and their prominence was to suck up to the studios in question in order to get the advance review copies he needed to make the site work. He confessed the movies were shit and that he didn't even like having that material on the site. While I found the practice of giving them good reviews to be appalling, his honesty definitely made me a bigger fan.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

It's like time traveling back in time to see people talk about Superior Spider-man.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

It's like time traveling back in time to see people talk about Superior Spider-man.

This topic started before Superior Spider-man did.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@tupiaz said:

@teerack said:

Clearly talking about coming into it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@teerack said:

It sure did

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73 said:

Yes. My earliest awareness of the problem, in fact, happened years ago with a then-up-and-coming cult movie site that was suddenly spending an inordinate amount of time granting positive reviews to utterly mediocre and even outright bad "mainstream" flicks. I wrote and inquired, and the fellow who ran the site openly confessed that both the positive reviews and their prominence was to suck up to the studios in question in order to get the advance review copies he needed to make the site work. He confessed the movies were shit and that he didn't even like having that material on the site. While I found the practice of giving them good reviews to be appalling, his honesty definitely made me a bigger fan.

How do you think Marvel could clean Waid's mess up?

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

What do you say to those that say DD doesn't need to be dark and gritty to be fun?

As Frank Miller discovered, there's a certain tone--call it "pulp noir"--that, overall, is by far the best fit for the Daredevil material. He didn't introduce this so mach as he recognized it as what had worked best and made it the book's status quo.

Over at manwithoutfear a few days ago, the question was raised, what is noir? Writers on film have argued that question for ages; I put together a little montage about it (or, if one prefers, a rant):

"Noir - 'A genre of crime film or fiction characterized by cynicism, fatalism, and moral ambiguity.' American Cinema's oft-quoted rundown: 'stories about life on the streets, shady characters, crooked cops, twisted love, and bad luck. About a darker side of human nature.' Dark romances about omnipresent corruption, dishonesty, sadism, nihilism, evil; full of violence, brooding, existential themes, intense psychological themes, the idea of malevolent fate, crushed idealism, the best intentions often coming to little or naught, and the only good coming at a high price. Urban expressionist fantasies full of gangsters, killers, hoods, racketeers, femme fatales, first-person narratives, crime-ridden back alleys, smoke-filled backrooms, and light filtering through venetian blinds. Tales wherein love is mostly hopeless and often expressed as obsession and aberrant sexuality."

And so on.

Now consider Daredevil from a conceptual standpoint (and here, I'm going to freely paraphrase myself a bit): From his youth, Matt Murdock has lived in a world of constant darkness. He comes from poverty, from a liberal tradition that says you give back to your community if you succeed, and from a community that badly needs him but whose problems he's ultimately helpless to solve. Consider the singleminded will it took for Matt to rise from his circumstances to become both a top-shelf lawyer and, even more extreme, a costumed vigilante who, in entirely mortal flesh, throws himself into the MU. From whence he came is branded on his soul, fused with his DNA--he never forgets. He is his father's son. His father is the guy with too much pride, the tough pug who wanted his boy to be more than just some bum, the fighter who would never quit, the good man who was destroyed by the slimy, sweaty hoods who lurk in the shadows and the business-suited big-shots behind them who profit from corrupting everything. Matt has dedicated his life to a war he can never win against an enemy he can never defeat--his cause was doomed to failure before it even started, and yet he persists. He's the man without fear who challenges those who would make the world a place of fear. The vigilante sworn to serve the law; the angel in the garb of a devil. Ironic and iconic.

That "pulp noir" tone is an obvious, even unavoidable, fit. And it had been there at DD's birth; it's there in the concept and in his origin story, from it's milieu to its wonderfully rendered Bill Everett hoods to the black irony of Matt going through so much to avenge his father only to have the murderer drop dead of a heart attack while almost in reach. The corrupt boxing milieu is a constant feature of the first era of film noir in the 1940s and '50s. If you want to see the story of Battlin' Jack Murdock 15 years before it had appeared in Daredevil, pick up a great Robert Wise noir called THE SET-UP (if you haven't seen it, watch it--you will thank me for the recommendation). Some of Stan's early scripts tap the same vein, particularly his first Owl story (in, I believe, #3--Stan's strongest DD noir excursion) and, to a somewhat lesser extent, his first Purple Man tale (can't remember the exact issue). Unfortunately, Stan quickly came to treat DD as primarily an opportunity to goof off, and this sort of tone would only turn up sporadically in the rest of his work on the book.

Gene Colan, who was a huge movie buff and noir fan, took over the book's art chores with issue #20 and immediately introduced a particularly strong noir tone into the artwork, many years before it would come to be regularly reflected in the writing. His DD was one of wild expressionistic flair, dutch angles and darkness, even while the scripts were mostly just poor man's Spider-Man stuff.

With subsequent writers they weren't always b-list Spidey tales either--the noir themes and elements recurred from time to time. Roy Thomas' Brother Brimstone (DD #65-66) was a sort of horror movie killer come to life. Steve Gerber and Bob Brown rework an old villain into the Deathstalker (DD #113), who has a wonderfully sinister image and can literally kill with a touch. Marv Wolfman, during his run, had a particularly choice idea for a tale (DD #127) in which DD ends up in an extended fight with the Torpedo (later of Rom: Spaceknight fame), and, while kicking one another's teeth in and doing the standard Spider-Man banter between themselves, they completely destroy a family's home. The horrified family matriarch blows up at them and they're shamed to a standstill. I've always thought that was a great end to a comic story, certainly one that fits with later DD. A comic growing up. It's unfortunate that Marv's follow-up--a non-follow-up, really--involved rehashing some material from "Spider-Man No More" then basically just forgetting the whole thing.

It was Frank Miller who recognized this as the ideal tone for the book and, as I said, made it the status quo. Miller was a marvel in those days and brought a great deal of depth and literacy to the table, and a much more mature approach to storytelling. Along the way, he brought in all sorts of other influences--samurai cinema, manga, Greek tragedy, etc.--but always filtered them through that same "pulp noir" lens. In the process, he made Daredevil A-list for the first time in the character's history and established the tone that would, generally speaking, be followed by DD's creators, from the excellent to the godawful, right up until Waid. It isn't a set-in-stone approach and the book would sometimes deviate from it, but never for long and it would always return. Not in mere emulation of Miller (as has sometimes been alleged since I began writing about the book again), but in recognition that this is the feel that works best for this character and his world, an important part of what separates Daredevil from his poor-man's-Spider-Man past--part of his unique voice.

Even Mark Waid has, in effect, conceded this. His effort to devolve DD back to those lighthearted, juvenile, poor-man's-Spider-Man days were a radical break with the book as it had existed for more than three decades before he'd taken it over. It eventually led him to initiate a series of even more radical changes that ripped at the conceptual fabric of the character and the book, rendering both utterly unrecognizable. His grinning, silly Matt has publicly fessed up to being Daredevil, abandoned not only Hell's Kitchen but New York itself (and nearly all of the locations and supporting cast that had filtered through the book over the years), moved to an alien town on the opposite coast, and become a wisecracking celebrity.

Call it whatever else you like, it ain't Daredevil.

And that's sort of the point.

Waid himself says the book's best creators over the years have been a murderer's row of top-shelf comic-book talent. Daredevil is a book that brings out the best in a lot of them. It has, over those years, had a lot of really high high-points, and all of them, all of its finest moments, have been deeply immersed in that "pulp noir" tone. The answer to the original question is that, theoretically, Daredevil doesn't have to be "pulp noir" in tone to be great, but it probably has to be "pulp noir" in tone to be great Daredevil.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

As Frank Miller discovered, there's a certain tone--call it "pulp noir"--that, overall, is by far the best fit for the Daredevil material. He didn't introduce this so mach as he recognized it as what had worked best and made it the book's status quo.

Over at manwithoutfear a few days ago, the question was raised, what is noir? Writers on film have argued that question for ages; I put together a little montage about it (or, if one prefers, a rant):

"Noir - 'A genre of crime film or fiction characterized by cynicism, fatalism, and moral ambiguity.' American Cinema's oft-quoted rundown: 'stories about life on the streets, shady characters, crooked cops, twisted love, and bad luck. About a darker side of human nature.' Dark romances about omnipresent corruption, dishonesty, sadism, nihilism, evil; full of violence, brooding, existential themes, intense psychological themes, the idea of malevolent fate, crushed idealism, the best intentions often coming to little or naught, and the only good coming at a high price. Urban expressionist fantasies full of gangsters, killers, hoods, racketeers, femme fatales, first-person narratives, crime-ridden back alleys, smoke-filled backrooms, and light filtering through venetian blinds. Tales wherein love is mostly hopeless and often expressed as obsession and aberrant sexuality."

And so on.

Now consider Daredevil from a conceptual standpoint (and here, I'm going to freely paraphrase myself a bit): From his youth, Matt Murdock has lived in a world of constant darkness. He comes from poverty, from a liberal tradition that says you give back to your community if you succeed, and from a community that badly needs him but whose problems he's ultimately helpless to solve. Consider the singleminded will it took for Matt to rise from his circumstances to become both a top-shelf lawyer and, even more extreme, a costumed vigilante who, in entirely mortal flesh, throws himself into the MU. From whence he came is branded on his soul, fused with his DNA--he never forgets. He is his father's son. His father is the guy with too much pride, the tough pug who wanted his boy to be more than just some bum, the fighter who would never quit, the good man who was destroyed by the slimy, sweaty hoods who lurk in the shadows and the business-suited big-shots behind them who profit from corrupting everything. Matt has dedicated his life to a war he can never win against an enemy he can never defeat--his cause was doomed to failure before it even started, and yet he persists. He's the man without fear who challenges those who would make the world a place of fear. The vigilante sworn to serve the law; the angel in the garb of a devil. Ironic and iconic.

That "pulp noir" tone is an obvious, even unavoidable, fit. And it had been there at DD's birth; it's there in the concept and in his origin story, from it's milieu to its wonderfully rendered Bill Everett hoods to the black irony of Matt going through so much to avenge his father only to have the murderer drop dead of a heart attack while almost in reach. The corrupt boxing milieu is a constant feature of the first era of film noir in the 1940s and '50s. If you want to see the story of Battlin' Jack Murdock 15 years before it had appeared in Daredevil, pick up a great Robert Wise noir called THE SET-UP (if you haven't seen it, watch it--you will thank me for the recommendation). Some of Stan's early scripts tap the same vein, particularly his first Owl story (in, I believe, #3--Stan's strongest DD noir excursion) and, to a somewhat lesser extent, his first Purple Man tale (can't remember the exact issue). Unfortunately, Stan quickly came to treat DD as primarily an opportunity to goof off, and this sort of tone would only turn up sporadically in the rest of his work on the book.

Gene Colan, who was a huge movie buff and noir fan, took over the book's art chores with issue #20 and immediately introduced a particularly strong noir tone into the artwork, many years before it would come to be regularly reflected in the writing. His DD was one of wild expressionistic flair, dutch angles and darkness, even while the scripts were mostly just poor man's Spider-Man stuff.

With subsequent writers they weren't always b-list Spidey tales either--the noir themes and elements recurred from time to time. Roy Thomas' Brother Brimstone (DD #65-66) was a sort of horror movie killer come to life. Steve Gerber and Bob Brown rework an old villain into the Deathstalker (DD #113), who has a wonderfully sinister image and can literally kill with a touch. Marv Wolfman, during his run, had a particularly choice idea for a tale (DD #127) in which DD ends up in an extended fight with the Torpedo (later of Rom: Spaceknight fame), and, while kicking one another's teeth in and doing the standard Spider-Man banter between themselves, they completely destroy a family's home. The horrified family matriarch blows up at them and they're shamed to a standstill. I've always thought that was a great end to a comic story, certainly one that fits with later DD. A comic growing up. It's unfortunate that Marv's follow-up--a non-follow-up, really--involved rehashing some material from "Spider-Man No More" then basically just forgetting the whole thing.

It was Frank Miller who recognized this as the ideal tone for the book and, as I said, made it the status quo. Miller was a marvel in those days and brought a great deal of depth and literacy to the table, and a much more mature approach to storytelling. Along the way, he brought in all sorts of other influences--samurai cinema, manga, Greek tragedy, etc.--but always filtered them through that same "pulp noir" lens. In the process, he made Daredevil A-list for the first time in the character's history and established the tone that would, generally speaking, be followed by DD's creators, from the excellent to the godawful, right up until Waid. It isn't a set-in-stone approach and the book would sometimes deviate from it, but never for long and it would always return. Not in mere emulation of Miller (as has sometimes been alleged since I began writing about the book again), but in recognition that this is the feel that works best for this character and his world, an important part of what separates Daredevil from his poor-man's-Spider-Man past--part of his unique voice.

Even Mark Waid has, in effect, conceded this. His effort to devolve DD back to those lighthearted, juvenile, poor-man's-Spider-Man days were a radical break with the book as it had existed for more than three decades before he'd taken it over. It eventually led him to initiate a series of even more radical changes that ripped at the conceptual fabric of the character and the book, rendering both utterly unrecognizable. His grinning, silly Matt has publicly fessed up to being Daredevil, abandoned not only Hell's Kitchen but New York itself (and nearly all of the locations and supporting cast that had filtered through the book over the years), moved to an alien town on the opposite coast, and become a wisecracking celebrity.

Waid himself says the book's best creators over the years have been a murderer's row of top-shelf comic-book talent. Daredevil is a book that brings out the best in a lot of them. It has, over those years, had a lot of really high high-points, and all of them, all of its finest moments, have been deeply immersed in that "pulp noir" tone. The answer to the original question is that, theoretically, Daredevil doesn't have to be "pulp noir" in tone to be great, but it probably has to be "pulp noir" in tone to be great Daredevil.

This was one of the most epic and brilliant post i've ever read on this site. @arturocalakayvee@spideysense44@jonny_anonymous@punyparker@grenadeflow Check this post out guys

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was one of the most epic and brilliant post i've ever read on this site.

Well, thanks. I'm far from my best, but I do try.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I wish Marvel thought like you when it came onto to Daredevil. I wonder why Quesada let Waid do this

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@daredevil21134 said:

And so on.

Thank you.

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jriddle73 said:
@daredevil21134 said:

I wish Marvel thought like you when it came onto to Daredevil. I wonder why Quesada let Waid do this

As I recall (and I may be wrong about this off the top of my head), Quesada had already stepped down as EIC before Waid took over Daredevil.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Eh I still like Waid's Daredevil but I do see where you guys are coming from.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@jriddle73 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

And so on.

This was one of the most epic and brilliant post i've ever read on this site. @arturocalakayvee@spideysense44@jonny_anonymous@punyparker@grenadeflow Check this post out guys

Preety rad,yeah...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jriddle73 said:
@daredevil21134 said:

As I recall (and I may be wrong about this off the top of my head), Quesada had already stepped down as EIC before Waid took over Daredevil.

Joe Quesado made the decision. I remember reading a letter he wrote to the fans at end of Shadowland or Daredevil 512.He was saying something like DD needs to have a cool down time now

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474  Edited By kidchipotle

@lvenger said:

Eh I still like Waid's Daredevil but I do see where you guys are coming from.

You also still enjoy things from the New 52 so I'm not surprised you enjoy crap

Loading Video...

(But really - I'm just kidding with that)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Honestly.. I don't like most of Waids stuff.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476  Edited By daredevil21134

@arturocalakayvee: lol

Do you read his Daredevil? It's mind boggling how people like it.I would love it if I was 10 years old

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477  Edited By jriddle73

@daredevil21134 said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

Do you read his Daredevil? It's mind boggling how people like it.I would love it if I was 10 years old

But--and here's something on which to chew--you probably couldn't afford it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134 said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

But--and here's something on which to chew--you probably couldn't afford it.

True but my point was my adult mind can't handle it lol

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: The story didn't grab me. The tone was weird for Daredevil. The dialogue bugged me.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: The story didn't grab me. The tone was weird for Daredevil. The dialogue bugged me.

All good reasons.So you were previously a collector of DD then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jriddle73: Even though I do agree that the nori feel has been a big nd main part of DD since Frank Miller why do you think that the Swashbuckler is not a part of the DD mythos. I don't think anybody would argue against this. The Swashbuckler DD is like the campy Batman. It is fine if you don't like it (I'm not a fan my self). But saying it is a part of the mythos or part of DD I can't. Besides Stan added another of part of DD's mythos. The whole Mike Murdock was first of all way ahead of its time where stories where supposed to end within the same issue. Here Matt created a fake twin brother to explain he was DD (IIRC Spider-Man had outed him in a indirect manner). First of all it was dealing with Matt's first outing second he was creating a fake identity which he has done since then (talking the name Battlin' Jack doing Chichester's run). I think the view of the Swashbuckler is rather simplistic.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I thought you liked Waid's Daredevil? Or have you converted to the Dark Side now? :P

And as you may know, I only read the stuff from the New 52 which is actually decent. It's blind cherry picking but it helps me enjoy DC rather than alienate myself from the company I love :P

But I'm just kidding there, you have solid reasons for leaving DC in the dust and I don't blame you.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee: I thought you liked Waid's Daredevil? Or have you converted to the Dark Side now? :P

And as you may know, I only read the stuff from the New 52 which is actually decent. It's blind cherry picking but it helps me enjoy DC rather than alienate myself from the company I love :P

But I'm just kidding there, you have solid reasons for leaving DC in the dust and I don't blame you.

He did like it and may still even like it a little, but he took me and @jonny_anonymous advise and went back and read Miller's DD and now his eyes are open and he sees how incredibly lame and campy Waid's DD is compared to Miller's, It's like reading two different characters and when he finally reads Bendis's run, he is going to be further blown away

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487  Edited By jriddle73

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73: Even though I do agree that the nori feel has been a big nd main part of DD since Frank Miller why do you think that the Swashbuckler is not a part of the DD mythos. I don't think anybody would argue against this. The Swashbuckler DD is like the campy Batman. It is fine if you don't like it (I'm not a fan my self). But saying it is a part of the mythos or part of DD I can't. Besides Stan added another of part of DD's mythos. The whole Mike Murdock was first of all way ahead of its time where stories where supposed to end within the same issue. Here Matt created a fake twin brother to explain he was DD (IIRC Spider-Man had outed him in a indirect manner). First of all it was dealing with Matt's first outing second he was creating a fake identity which he has done since then (talking the name Battlin' Jack doing Chichester's run). I think the view of the Swashbuckler is rather simplistic.

I've re-read this a few times and I feel I've still failed to discern what you're trying to say, but I'll throw in a few general remarks on these subjects and see if I get anything right.

Mike Murdock definitely wasn't "way ahead of its time" insofar as serialized, multi-part stories were concerned. Marvel, which did innovate such storytelling, had been doing it for some time by that point. Mike Murdock was exceptionally stupid, and a result of Stan just using the book to goof off.

When it comes to the "swashbuckling" business, characters like Daredevil are, by their very nature, a romantic fantasy, the masked hero who, defying all the odds, swoops in at the last minute and saves the day. In the context of Waid's DD, this unfortunately becomes entangled in a lot of other issues, and this is often intentional (it's certainly intentionally done by Waid when he talks about his DD work). To untangle the thicket, then, there's absolutely nothing about the romantic hero that demands or requires Waid's constant silliness, nor does it demand or require his oppressive lightheartedness--in its DNA, it's only "lighthearted" insofar as any romantic fantasy tends to be considered a fancy. Waid does seem to consider the whole thing a fancy, and his notion of the romantic hero, entangled in everything I've just tried to straighten, is the romantic hero merely for its own sake, using the archetype as an end rather than taking it as a given. This isn't uncommon in literature, and it's why such characters are commonly--and, in most cases, correctly--regarded as merely a fancy. When, like Waid, one works from the archetype and makes no real effort to conceptualize a person beyond it, the resulting character is superficial and without depth, and to allow it to live, Waid has placed it in a world that is, likewise, superficial and without depth. A world in which, among other things, the story of Daredevil as it existed prior to Waid can mostly just be ignored; a world in which Matt can fess up about being DD then just move to California and start over with no real repercussions.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Murdock definitely wasn't "way ahead of its time" insofar as serialized, multi-part stories were concerned. Marvel, which did innovate such storytelling, had been doing it for some time by that point. Mike Murdock was exceptionally stupid, and a result of Stan just using the book to goof off.

The Galactus trilogy was less than a year old. This was certianly new in comics to have a comic doing a story like that. I have yet to see a so convoluted subplot in any silver age comic. Feel free to name any. You think it is stupid but you don't really back it up with anything. Was it weird/goofy/crazy? Yes, but it was the silver age so what do you expect?

When it comes to the "swashbuckling" business, characters like Daredevil are, by their very nature, a romantic fantasy, the masked hero who, defying all the odds, swoops in at the last minute and saves the day. In the context of Waid's DD, this unfortunately becomes entangled in a lot of other issues, and this is often intentional (it's certainly intentionally done by Waid when he talks about his DD work). To untangle the thicket, then, there's absolutely nothing about the romantic hero that demands or requires Waid's constant silliness, nor does it demand or require his oppressive lightheartedness--in its DNA, it's only "lighthearted" insofar as any romantic fantasy tends to be considered a fancy. Waid does seem to consider the whole thing a fancy, and his notion of the romantic hero, entangled in everything I've just tried to straighten, is the romantic hero merely for its own sake, using the archetype as an end rather than taking it as a given. This isn't uncommon in literature, and it's why such characters are commonly--and, in most cases, correctly--regarded as merely a fancy. When, like Waid, one works from the archetype and makes no real effort to conceptualize a person beyond it, the resulting character is superficial and without depth, and to allow it to live, Waid has placed it in a world that is, likewise, superficial and without depth. A world in which, among other things, the story of Daredevil as it existed prior to Waid can mostly just be ignored; a world in which Matt can fess up about being DD then just move to California and start over with no real repercussions.

Now I haven't read the latest issue of Waid's run but the SF story is clearly homeage to the character has been there before when he was with Black widow. The reason for him to be in SF is to do law since he can't practice in New York. It seems like a natural thing to do if you want to work in your profession. The way I see the Silver age comics is that Matt is finally aloud to play. He wasn't aloud to play for his father as a kid. He has revenged his dad by dealing with the Fixer and he has a successful job. Therefor he now has the right to go out and play and he enjoys it. Whatever Mark Waid is doing it correct or not is not the point but whatever the Daredevil as a swashbuckler is a part of his mythos or not.

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489  Edited By jriddle73

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73 said:

The Galactus trilogy was less than a year old. This was certianly new in comics to have a comic doing a story like that. I have yet to see a so convoluted subplot in any silver age comic. Feel free to name any. You think it is stupid but you don't really back it up with anything. Was it weird/goofy/crazy? Yes, but it was the silver age so what do you expect?

By the time Mike Murdock came along, Daredevil was entirely directionless, and that entire awful subplot was just another example of it. That kind of goofing off is basically all Stan was doing with the book, often even mocking his own plots. As for continuing stories--the original issue here--all the Marvel characters (including Daredevil) had ongoing subplots right from the beginning. Marvel had introduced full-blown multi-part tales--not just subplots--years before Mike Murdock. The (godawful) Avengers/Masters of Evil war--itself an outgrowth of the books featuring the individual Avengers characters--began with Avengers #6 (July 1964) and went on for a year (before becoming more sporadic). Spider-Man's first multi-part epic began with issue #17 (Oct. 1964). Both Thor and the Fantastic Four were being tightly serialized long before that, with one issue leading directly into the next with no let-up. The FF had gone full-on serial from FF #38 (May 1965) forward--well before the first Galactus tale. Mike Murdock only limped into existence in DD #25 (Feb. 1967). Way too late to the party to be considered an innovation.

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73 said:

Now I haven't read the latest issue of Waid's run but the SF story is clearly homeage to the character has been there before when he was with Black widow. The reason for him to be in SF is to do law since he can't practice in New York. It seems like a natural thing to do if you want to work in your profession. The way I see the Silver age comics is that Matt is finally aloud to play. He wasn't aloud to play for his father as a kid. He has revenged his dad by dealing with the Fixer and he has a successful job. Therefor he now has the right to go out and play and he enjoys it. Whatever Mark Waid is doing it correct or not is not the point but whatever the Daredevil as a swashbuckler is a part of his mythos or not.
He wouldn't be allowed to practice law anywhere after all the shenanigans he's pulled in court related to his Daredevil identity--he would, in fact, be in jail, not just for that particular criminal activity but for his entire vigilante career. He's able to simply move out of state and start over because the world Waid is writing is--just as I said--ridiculous, superficial and without depth.
The final word on DD's "playing" was delivered decades ago by Marv Wolfman in that story I mentioned in which his "playing" with the Torpedo--knocking around one another while wisecracking back and forth--destroyed a family's home. That doesn't mean he can't enjoy being Daredevil, and it certainly doesn't mean vigorous romantic flourishes are off the table, but it does mean the writing should feature a heightened awareness of the typically very high stakes involved in his activities--high enough that those sort of Spider-Man-modeled antics aren't usually appropriate. When DD fails, people die. But all of that presupposes a world that in some way resembles the world of Daredevil, and Waid has taken that away.
daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jriddle73: Yes there is no way to excuse the writing on Matt not being faced with consequences for outing himself in front of a court.He should have been thrown in Jail and multiple counts of perjury and vilgilantism.And a lot his cases would have probably been compromised. He definitely wouldn't have been able to walk away free.But Waid is from an era of when DD jumped on top of a tank and told the Military to stand down,an era where superheroes get the last word

jriddle73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jriddle73: Yes there is no way to excuse the writing on Matt not being faced with consequences for outing himself in front of a court.He should have been thrown in Jail and multiple counts of perjury and vilgilantism.And a lot his cases would have probably been compromised. He definitely wouldn't have been able to walk away free.But Waid is from an era of when DD jumped on top of a tank and told the Military to stand down,an era where superheroes get the last word

Exactly. He's spent his entire professional career as an agent of the court operating as a criminal on the side. As a lawyers, he's defended people he's taken down as Daredevil and even served as a prosecutor for others. He's faked his own death, created a false identity then faked its death too, pulled all sorts of shenanigans to conceal his own identity. Think of the multiple Daredevils in the "Playing to the Camera" arc. When, during Bendis, he was exposed as DD, he denied it and sued the publisher, who was then murdered. The list goes on into infinity. Forget being merely permanently disbarred, there's no way, after fessing up, he's going anywhere except straight to prison for as long as he can last there, while everyone he knows and loves would be horribly murdered. Look at what he went though when it was merely a suspicion that he was Daredevil. It isn't just that Waid has erased Daredevil; he's erased that entire world. He's replaced it with a silly one to suit his silly conception of the character; one in which things like consequences are merely an arbitrary whim of the writer; one that collapses if the reader gives it any thought.

qtmxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492  Edited By qtmxd

@jriddle73: I keep thinking of one of Bendis's best sequences...when Luke Cage challenges Matt to just fess up and give up his secret identity like most of the rest of the heroes. Matt defiantly tells him he would never do that because of the promise he made to his father to practice law, and that would destroy it. Or pushing further, and probably not quite sane, when he walks into Josie's unmasked and says in effect, you've seen my face, but if you go after me or anyone I care about, you know what I'll do to you. Or his appearing at the meeting in Decalogue. They can see his face, but his name will never be spoken. Brubaker carried that sense in the prison story, where anyone who knew who DD was would know better than to talk. The best writers can push the boundaries and make it original and effective.
Of course, Bendis also recognized that Matt was going too far and he paid for it. Being attacked by the 100 Yakuza and eventually going to jail. And after continuing Matt's defiance, Brubaker resorted to a Danny Rand impersonation and some manipulation by Vanessa Fisk to get Matt back to plausible deniability, which still didn't save Milla from Mr. Fear. Waid has turned all this into farce, and it will take something totally drastic to get it back.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493  Edited By tupiaz

@tupiaz said:

@jriddle73 said:

By the time Mike Murdock came along, Daredevil was entirely directionless, and that entire awful subplot was just another example of it. That kind of goofing off is basically all Stan was doing with the book, often even mocking his own plots. As for continuing stories--the original issue here--all the Marvel characters (including Daredevil) had ongoing subplots right from the beginning. Marvel had introduced full-blown multi-part tales--not just subplots--years before Mike Murdock. The (godawful) Avengers/Masters of Evil war--itself an outgrowth of the books featuring the individual Avengers characters--began with Avengers #6 (July 1964) and went on for a year (before becoming more sporadic). Spider-Man's first multi-part epic began with issue #17 (Oct. 1964). Both Thor and the Fantastic Four were being tightly serialized long before that, with one issue leading directly into the next with no let-up. The FF had gone full-on serial from FF #38 (May 1965) forward--well before the first Galactus tale. Mike Murdock only limped into existence in DD #25 (Feb. 1967). Way too late to the party to be considered an innovation.

That was how silver age and Marvel comics was made backthen. The silver age was for kids. The first really big ongoing stories (Galactus triology) was released less than a year before Mike Murdock. Ongoing stories was still a relative new ting. Even though Mike first appeared in DD 25 it started with the Spider-man story in DD 16 (a two parter I may add). Heck the Doctor van Eyck story started in 9 and went on to ten. There has been a lot of smaller subplots around. I haven't seen one with that complexity in I didn't say Marvel didn't made subplot for the beginning I said I haven't seen one that was so convoluted at the time. Not in Spider-man (you mean a sick Aunt May, hardly convoluted at all?), not in FF (the story with Ben leaving FF and fighting against is no more convoluted than a hero versus hero fight. However it did go on for a while and lasted until 44) not in Avengers (the Zemo fight ended the next issue) I havenn't seen it anywhere. Mike Murdock went on from issue 25 to issue 41. That is more than a year even longer if you go back to the Spider-man story. Besides it was also the point that started two very typical DD mythos/stories one being Matt being outed as Daredevil (which has happened to DD so many times I don't even know who many times) and Making up a fake identity.

He wouldn't be allowed to practice law anywhere after all the shenanigans he's pulled in court related to his Daredevil identity--he would, in fact, be in jail, not just for that particular criminal activity but for his entire vigilante career. He's able to simply move out of state and start over because the world Waid is writing is--just as I said--ridiculous, superficial and without depth.
The final word on DD's "playing" was delivered decades ago by Marv Wolfman in that story I mentioned in which his "playing" with the Torpedo--knocking around one another while wisecracking back and forth--destroyed a family's home. That doesn't mean he can't enjoy being Daredevil, and it certainly doesn't mean vigorous romantic flourishes are off the table, but it does mean the writing should feature a heightened awareness of the typically very high stakes involved in his activities--high enough that those sort of Spider-Man-modeled antics aren't usually appropriate. When DD fails, people die. But all of that presupposes a world that in some way resembles the world of Daredevil, and Waid has taken that away.

Again it wasn't the plot to dicuss if Mark Waid's run is good or not but whatever Matt being a swashbuckler is part of the mythos. DD playing and enjoy being DD is seen before Marv Wolfman it was established with Stan Lee. Which you have still to make any arguments against. I didn't say he didn't enjoy being DD when he is Noir. DD has proven on many occasions that DD is a more important life for him than his Matt Murdock life is. I will say that it is not guaranteed that Matt will go to jail just because he is DD. The laws of vigilantism has never been stated that clear (neither in DC nor in Marvel - however Marvel has a more skeptic feel to it). Many times police officers are seen doing nothing against vigilantes.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Exactly. He's spent his entire professional career as an agent of the court operating as a criminal on the side. As a lawyers, he's defended people he's taken down as Daredevil and even served as a prosecutor for others. He's faked his own death, created a false identity then faked its death too, pulled all sorts of shenanigans to conceal his own identity. Think of the multiple Daredevils in the "Playing to the Camera" arc. When, during Bendis, he was exposed as DD, he denied it and sued the publisher, who was then murdered. The list goes on into infinity. Forget being merely permanently disbarred, there's no way, after fessing up, he's going anywhere except straight to prison for as long as he can last there, while everyone he knows and loves would be horribly murdered. Look at what he went though when it was merely a suspicion that he was Daredevil. It isn't just that Waid has erased Daredevil; he's erased that entire world. He's replaced it with a silly one to suit his silly conception of the character; one in which things like consequences are merely an arbitrary whim of the writer; one that collapses if the reader gives it any thought.

Yup,that was one of the most craziest times of his life.He almost suffered a nervous break down around that time

@qtmxd said:

@jriddle73: I keep thinking of one of Bendis's best sequences...when Luke Cage challenges Matt to just fess up and give up his secret identity like most of the rest of the heroes. Matt defiantly tells him he would never do that because of the promise he made to his father to practice law, and that would destroy it. Or pushing further, when he walks into Josie's unmasked and says in effect, you've seen my face, but if you go after me or anyone I care about, you know what I'll do to you. Or his appearing at the meeting in Decalogue. They can see his face, but his name will never be spoken. Brubaker carried that sense in the prison story, where anyone who knew who DD was would know better than to talk. The best writers can push the boundaries and make it original and effective. Waid has turned their efforts into farce.

I can't believe Marvel allowed him to crap on these legendary stories.They must be falling in love with hype of the websites that overrate this series

qtmxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I don't think it's ever made totally explicit what law Matt is breaking that necessarily warrants jail , but I thought the issue for him is the conflict of interest in DD's interference in Matt's court cases, which violates his oath as an officer of the court, at least resulting in disbarment. It's not being a vigilante... they all are. And I'm not sure where this Mike Murdock as ongoing story comes from. Marvel had been doing ongoing stories for a long time, especially in FF, after they lost their powers in a Frightful Four story, then were helped by DD in fighting Dr. Doom, then with Ben joining the Frightful Four, then with the reveal of Medusa and the Inhumans, etc. Thor was ongoing as well. All this was well before Stan getting the bright idea that it would be funny to give Matt a ridiculous twin brother. And Mike wasn't even a story. He was just an ongoing joke through a series of arcs before they decided the joke was over and to kill him off.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#496  Edited By daredevil21134

@qtmxd said:

Actually, I don't think it's ever made totally explicit what law Matt is breaking that necessarily warrants jail , but I thought the issue for him is the conflict of interest in DD's interference in Matt's court cases, which violates his oath as an officer of the court, at least resulting in disbarment. It's not being a vigilante... they all are. And I'm not sure where this Mike Murdock as ongoing story comes from. Marvel had been doing ongoing stories for a long time, especially in FF, after they lost their powers in a Frightful Four story, then were helped by DD in fighting Dr. Doom, then with Ben joining the Frightful Four, then with the reveal of Medusa and the Inhumans, etc. Thor was ongoing as well. All this was well before Stan getting the bright idea that it would be funny to give Matt a ridiculous twin brother. And Mike wasn't even a story. He was just an ongoing joke through a series of arcs before they decided the joke was over and to kill him off.

I think Mike Murdock was one of the lamest ideas in DD history. The only place in history it should have now is a joke here and there about how terrible it was.Stick even made fun of it in the 300's. I don't wanna see a tribute to that idea or anything of that corny nature.I can't believe Waid said that Mike Murdock has been unfairly criticised,that shows you where his mind set is.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

He did like it and may still even like it a little, but he took me and @jonny_anonymous advise and went back and read Miller's DD and now his eyes are open and he sees how incredibly lame and campy Waid's DD is compared to Miller's, It's like reading two different characters and when he finally reads Bendis's run, he is going to be further blown away

This ^ though I don't COMPLETELY protest it like I do the New 52. I will still read Waid's DD and just patently wait until he's off the title.

Also, nice rebuttal :P I will admit I do miss reading the likes of Green Arrow and Wonder Woman and such but thats a conversation for another thread :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: It is indeed. I'll depart to allow the conversation to resume its usual standards and maybe another post can match the brilliance of what @jriddle73 said.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#499  Edited By kidchipotle

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee: It is indeed. I'll depart to allow the conversation to resume its usual standards and maybe another post can match the brilliance of what @jriddle73 said.

Haha. You're welcome back any time mate.

No Caption Provided

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500  Edited By daredevil21134