Is Daredevil still Catholic?

Ghostjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Followed comics as a kid and wish to get back into some. I loved what I can remember of Frank Millier and Brubaker. Dark and realistic art. I know the Catholic theme was big a while back.

I've heard he is now in San Francisco instead of New York. I've googled some art and it seems a bit more cartoony. I wonder have they changed the Catholic theme or is it still heavy in the comics? How are others liking it?

Finally, are there any plans for a return to the old and going back to NY? Will they change the art style back to the previous more realistic or does that just depend on whoever the current artist is?

Thanks for taking the time to read guys!

Ghostjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody..?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@ghostjb: He's still catholic but I don't know if they have shown it much in Waid's run, I really don't like it and I hope it returns to the crime noir soon.

Ghostjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I agree. I'm hoping they can get back to what I remeber him being. Even the artwork in the new stuff is very light hearted and cartoony looking. I can't stand it. I wonder who made these decisions. Odd.

Avatar image for iceboyisbeemaniknowit
Iceboyisbeemaniknowit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He is but not that deep in his faith like night crawler is

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He is Catholic, but I wouldn't call him devote. I think it's both a source of comfort and guidance for him, but he doesn't agree with all of it.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a focus in Waid's run but it has been touched upon.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hopefully in the next run we get more of his Catholic roots

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think the Catholic angle is fascinating for a character like that. Hopefully we get more.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He`s Catholic but it`s still a inner struggle and Matt questions things as well also depending on the comics run, the character may seem different due to being written different.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep he is still Catholic, it just hasn't been touch upon in Waid's run. Which is lame by the way.

Avatar image for eliosilvarossel
ElioSilvaRossel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although there are some Catholic Marvelian characters, at least culturally, such as Bruce Banner from Hulk, Nightcrowler from X-Men or the villain kingpin, Daredevil is the most Catholic Marvelian character par excellence. I do not mean to insinuate that he is an example of a Catholic superhero. But like many Catholics, he is the most realistic catholic. Despite of his strong faith, he still has a lot of doubts, a values crisis, but then after reflecting on his faith, he acquires a greater understanding of his own reality and his role in relation to his community or his environment: Hell's Kitchen, New York. Now, it is interesting to see that it is not enough to wear a rosary or have the label of Catholic, that is also reflected in his character evolution, in his decision-making in adverse situations. An example is that Daredevil does not kill all villains or antiheroes in a bloody way, unlike the Punisher who is the antipodes of what I mention. The latter has no qualms about killing whoever gets in his way. Finally, it is worth to mention that the tv series shows how the church was part not only of his community, but also of his family.