#1 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided I wanted to start reading daredevil since he has been interesting to me for quite some time now. I know nothing about daredevil besides some basic knowledge of his powers. But I know nothing of his villians or supporting cast or history.

Any suggested reading for him? Where should I pick up in his current run? Has his history ever been rebooted? Anything I should know before I dive in? Thanks a lot daredevil experts!

#2 Posted by Squalleon (4487 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Frank Miller's run is the definitive Daredevil
  • Frank Miller's Born Again
  • Bendis' Daredevil run
  • Brubaker's run
  • And for something more lighthearted Mark Waid's current run

@jonny_anonymous @tupiaz Your help is needed.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57903 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil has been Marvel's most consistent title and most of the runs have been pretty good.

• Bendis' Daredevil run
  • Brubaker's run

No no no, you call @vance_astro when you need help with Daredevil.

BB

#4 Posted by Squalleon (4487 posts) - - Show Bio

No no no, you call @vance_astro when you need help with Daredevil.

BB

Mmm... I will take it into consideration but I think Jonny and Tupiaz are more than enough.

#5 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by JakeN7 (11527 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324:

Me: Jayc1324 this is Daredevil, Matt this is Jayc1324

Matt Murdock: Hey man, nice to meet you

Jayc1324: Likewise. So, what do you do for a living Mr. Daredevil?

Matt Murdock: Oh please, call me Matt. And I'm a vigilante and a lawyer, how about you?

Jayc1324: Oh you know, this and that

Me: Hey Jayc1324, it was great seeing you, but Matt and I have to attend a charity auction for a seeing-eye dog that was hit by a car. We'll catch up later!

Jayc1324: Ok, yeah. It was nice seeing you JakeN7, and great to meet you Matt!

Matt Murdock: Yeah, JakeN7's got my number, I'll have him pass it along.

Jayc1324: Sounds great

How'd I do???

#7 Edited by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: If I could give you best answer I totally would. But I must say, i sure do have a ton of questions for matt..

#8 Posted by Squalleon (4487 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@squalleon: Thanks for your help so far

No problem :-)
The recommending reading section of the vine for Daredevil has some stories too.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@squalleon: Thanks for your help so far

No problem :-)

The recommending reading section of the vine for Daredevil has some stories too.

Pretty muched covered it

#10 Posted by JakeN7 (11527 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: Haha, glad you liked it.

And yeah, I think we all would.

#11 Edited by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: What about his current series (if he has one?) Any place I should pick up or is it worth starting from the beginning?

#12 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: I hate the current run so I'm not the best to ask about that but I would add on the Andy Diggle run after Brubaker, I know some people didn't like it but it's kinda critical to his character development.

#13 Edited by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by mysoulz (280 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

• Bendis' Daredevil run
  • Brubaker's run

Guardian Devil should be in that list right after Born Again.

#15 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysoulz: Thanks for your help as well

#16 Posted by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all don't begin with Daredevil: Yellow it is not an origin story since it happens in flash backs and therefore has major spoilers. The tone, feel and the importance of the events leading into the book will get lost on you. It will not have the effect it should have. It is a good story but not an origin story.

There is four ways I think you can start.

You can start with Frank Miller. This is the most logic and normal way to begin reading Daredevil. Frank Miller made Daredevil what he is today. You can either pick you the trade volume 1-3 (which is the first Frank Miller did with Daredevil), The Man without fear a origin book and it is half in canon and half not it is good and gives you a clear idea where Matt is from and about. It bulids on a lot on what Frank Miller did on his original work with Daredevil since he retro con (or rather enhanced) Daredevils origin. After this I would pick up Born Again. The best Daredevil story and one of the best american mainstream comics.

You can also begin with Bendis run that leads into Brubakers run. it has a dark feel to it but is more modern than Frank Millers work (some think it is dated. I don't really see it but it is a matter of taste).

You can also begin with Mark Waid run. I'm not a fan but each to his own.

You can also begin with Stan Lee however this will probably not be a good a idea since the stories are very dated. The character is more like he is in present time (Mark Waid). Still not the route I would recommend. Season one is a option here however it is just retelling Stan Lees stories (with a little added sub plot). It looks more modern and that can be a plus for some. Most readers would prefer the originals stories.

Recommended reading list:
The Man Without Fear
Born Again
If you want to you can here read the Elektra Saga (trade 1-3) by Frank Miller
Guradian Devil
Now you can read Daredevil Yellow
Bendis' Run
Brubaker's Run

After this you can pick up stories by (good stories but not essential in anyway).
Ann Nocenti (Typhoid Mary Saga)
D. G. Chichester (Fall of the Kingpin followup story for both Typhoid Mary saga and Bron Again. Fall From Grace is another good story).
David Mack (Parts of hole and Vision Quest)
Zeb Wells (Battling Jack Murdock pure Frank Miller homeage)
Joe Quesada (Father)

#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Very informative and thank you. Any comments on daredevils current run? Is it worth checking out or should I stick to his older stuff for now?

#19 Edited by Billy Batson (57903 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

You can start with Frank Miller. This is the most logic and normal way to begin reading Daredevil. Frank Miller made Daredevil what he is today. You can either pick you the trade volume 1-3 (which is the first Frank Miller did with Daredevil), The Man without fear a origin book and it is half in canon and half not it is good and gives you a clear idea where Matt is from and about. It bulids on a lot on what Frank Miller did on his original work with Daredevil since he retro con (or rather enhanced) Daredevils origin. After this I would pick up Born Again. The best Daredevil story and one of the best american mainstream comics.

If you want to you can here read the Elektra Saga (trade 1-3) by Frank Miller

Marvel just recently reprinted Miller's Daredevil omnibus for those who are interested.

@jayc1324 said:

@tupiaz: Very informative and thank you. Any comments on daredevils current run? Is it worth checking out or should I stick to his older stuff for now?

Many like the current run.

BB

#20 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately from what I've heard the Frank Miller Volume 1 collection is mostly stories drawn by Frank Miller, not written by him. I think there's only like five odd issues of Frank Miller's actual run in that first volume, and the other stories aren't really that great.

#22 Posted by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

I'm not the biggest fan mainly because there seems to be to many plot holes because of the use of deus ex machina. However volume 3 was better than the to first trades. However as I said before I would start with Frank Miller.

Unfortunately from what I've heard the Frank Miller Volume 1 collection is mostly stories drawn by Frank Miller, not written by him. I think there's only like five odd issues of Frank Miller's actual run in that first volume, and the other stories aren't really that great.

There is five issue only written by Frank Miller but McKenzie and Frank Miller co-wrote some of the stories before McKenzie got fired and Frank Miller became the solo writer. The McKenzie stories is underrated. They are still a bit dark but quite different from normal later DD stories.

#23 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: I guess I'll see if I can find singular issues then or just deal with the bad stories and focus more on vol. 2

#24 Edited by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: ah ok thanks for the clarification on that. Off to buy "the man without fear"

#25 Edited by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz

What are some of the better Typhoid Mary stories?

I've only read her original story, which I enjoyed a lot (until the very end where it unfortunately descended into nonsense).

#26 Posted by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz

I've only read her original story, which I enjoyed a lot (until the very end where it unfortunately descended into nonsense).

Fall of the kingpin written by Chichester is a good follow-up story for both Born Again and the original Typhoid Mary story. Besides that I haven't read any stories with her (as far as i remember).

@jayc1324 said:

@tupiaz: ah ok thanks for the clarification on that. Off to buy "the man without fear"

You are welcome.

#27 Edited by silent_bomber (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@silent_bomber said:

@tupiaz

Fall of the kingpin written by Chichester is a good follow-up story for both Born Again and the original Typhoid Mary story. Besides that I haven't read any stories with her (as far as i remember).

That's cool, I've actually got that but I haven't got round to reading it yet LOL

#28 Posted by Teerack (5702 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Mark Waid's run! his past and his new one. What he did with Daredevil is some of the best work in all of comic books.

#29 Posted by mysoulz (280 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Definitely will. I heard that was really good too

#31 Posted by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Don't read Waid's run.It's overrated vastly by the internet.Read Miller or start with Bendis run

#32 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Yeah I'm starting with Miller and then bendis. And I'm picking up waid's marvel now daredevil series when it starts. If I like that I'll read his older stuff, because i want to at least try it.

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Don't read Waid's run.It's overrated vastly by the internet.Read Miller or start with Bendis run

This.

#34 Posted by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@daredevil21134: Yeah I'm starting with Miller and then bendis. And I'm picking up waid's marvel now daredevil series when it starts. If I like that I'll read his older stuff, because i want to at least try it.

Have fun

#35 Edited by Teerack (5702 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@jayc1324 said:

This.

It's not good because it's popular for being good. Makes sense. /sarcasm

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jayc1324 said:

This.

Yes, that's exactly what we said.

#37 Edited by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jayc1324 said:

This.

Yes, that's exactly what we said.

lol

#38 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Wow is it really that bad? I was excited for his new marvel now series

#39 Posted by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous:

@jayc1324 said:

@daredevil21134: Wow is it really that bad? I was excited for his new marvel now series

A lot of people who are fans of the current series haven't read Daredevil before. After you read Miller and Bendis then read Waid's run you'll want to know what the hell happened to Daredevil

Tell me if you notice something different. I'm just saying to each his own

#40 Posted by Jayc1324 (10993 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Didn't notice much difference besides daredevils attitude. And I just read daredevil 1 in marvel now and I must say it was really good. I haven't bought any other daredevil books yet so nothing to compare it to so far.

#41 Posted by daredevil21134 (11322 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Well good for you, enjoy,His attitude is a big reason why I don't like it but that's just me

#42 Posted by Bezza (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil by Bendis really is one of the best runs by any writer ever. I've only got Volume one so far, but the art and story-telling is as good as anything I have in my collection and I've got a few of the classic titles....

#43 Edited by PunyParker (9371 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324:

Frank Miller's Daredevil = Everything.
Brian Bendis' Daredevil = Everything.

This should do.It helped me to fully understand the character.

@daredevil21134: Didn't notice much difference besides daredevils attitude. And I just read daredevil 1 in marvel now and I must say it was really good. I haven't bought any other daredevil books yet so nothing to compare it to so far.

Just know this ISN'T Daredevil.
It's like writing Spider-Man in a brutting ,all-serious way,or writing Batman in a wise-cracking,smart-ass way.

We've grown through the Silver Age,man.....