#1 Posted by GhostRavage (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone awesomely versed with Daredevil tell me which modern issues besides Waid's run are worth the reading? I've always liked Daredevil and now i got my first issues. Preferably Canon :)

Im also looking forward to extend my Marvel Now's Daredevil knowledge as much as i can (If there's any since i haven't seen any action about him besides Indestructible Hulk#9 and #10 as a guest), so any readings that may serve as debating resources would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by russellmania77 (15845 posts) - - Show Bio

NO

#3 Posted by mikex20 (2776 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis did some good Daredevil stories. The Devil Inside and Out, Underboss, Hardcore, and Out.

Frank Miller's Man Without Fear mini-series is a good place to read his origin.

#4 Posted by Pr0metheus (5498 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

Every DD fan I know hates Waid's run.

#6 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

Definately read brian bendis' whole run its amazing then that leads right into ed brubakers run which was great too. Everything Frank Miller wrote for daredevil u should read since many major stuff happend in those an their great stories too

#7 Posted by LittleRedRobinHood (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Then allow me to introduce myself. There, now you know one!

#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

Start from Volume 2 and up

#9 Posted by Cap10nate (2737 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of both Bendis and Brubaker's runs on the character. They are very different from what Waid is doing now though. Daredevil was a character that was reinvented as a brooding character for whom very little goes right a long time ago which has persisted until Waid took over. He has a little more light hearted approach for the character which I like as it shows a Matt Murdock who has put some of his demons behind him and is trying to have a slightly happier existence.

#10 Posted by pretur22 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I would add Ann Nocenti and JRjr (before his art became ""blocky "") although only two trades have been collected .

But the best stories of the devil are by Miller daredevil v.1 168-191(when he became a writer of the series) ,219,226 then the masterpiece with David Mazzucchelli (witch i think i superior to batman year one) .DD love and war Bill Sienkiewicz and finally man without fear with JRjr.

D.G. Chichester and Lee Weeks did a nice sequel do Born Again Fall of Kingpin (v.1 297-300) but shortly after his stories become to "90's" and Daredevil get a armored costume chnge ugh!!!

#11 Posted by lewismcgregor (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Be sure to pick up anything drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz and/or David Mack. Their art along side a DD story is just unstoppable.

#12 Posted by lewismcgregor (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey @daredevil21134, what's your thought on Fall From Grace? I find it so hard to read.

#13 Edited by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't go back any further than Bendis & Brubaker's run. I would also recommend Diggle's run (which is after Brubaker's) because that way Waid's run will make more sense. David Mack I believe wrote the story with Echo. I think that's only a few issues long so I'd pick those up too, just because Echo was such a good character.

#14 Posted by lewismcgregor (81 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: You wouldn't go back any further that Bendis' run? Say what, you're missing all the greats.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor said:

@vance_astro: You wouldn't go back any further that Bendis' run? Say what, you're missing all the greats.

I've read every issue of Daredevil, but i'm a die-hard Daredevil fan. I wouldn't encourage anyone who isn't, to read that far back unless they were really beat for some good Daredevil stories. I've only read maybe 1-2 bad runs on DD the entire time he's been around so almost everything is pretty solid.

#16 Posted by lewismcgregor (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance, I don't understand that statement, it's one big contradiction.

#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey @daredevil21134, what's your thought on Fall From Grace? I find it so hard to read.

Dude I hated that story just because of Scott Mcdaniel's art

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor said:

Vance, I don't understand that statement, it's one big contradiction.

I don't see what in it is contradictory. We have someone who is new to Daredevil and reading Waid's run, right? Now I don't know how everyone else reads comics, but if I asks for "modern issues" that are worth reading, why would I recommend Nocenti's run or Miller's run? When Bendis and Brubaker's runs were just as good and more relevant to current Daredevil?

#19 Posted by lewismcgregor (81 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Yeah the art is pretty damn confusing too. I'm never too sure on what is going on.

@vance_astro: Dude, haha don't worry. There's no point to this.

#20 Edited by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio