undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue left our hero seemingly at sea (figuratively) and without recourse as he’d been outmaneuvered by the Wakandan embassy and had his mother shipped off to the African nation. It was a real “I did it 30 minutes ago” moment and it was great cliffhanger to leave off on but, of course, a man like Matt Murdock is not without allies and this issue opens with him making the best use of them: parachuting into Wakanda courtesy of a dropship from S.H.I.E.L.D. Once there he begins his work of gaining entry to the royal palace, and events proceed handily from there. But this issue isn’t really about that. I mentioned before that Matt’s Original Sin moment that revealed, in fragments, that his father may not have been the ultimately kind-hearted palooka that he always remembered him as. Mark Waid makes this point, though it takes up less than half of the actual issue’s page count, the emotional center of the issue. And he absolutely nails it. I was worried that this retcon would change Matt’s essential sense of self and a large part of his motivation, which can be a horrible thing to do to a hero this late in the game (Spiderman 3, anyone?), but, without giving anything away, Matt’s relationship with his father comes away intact and his relationship with his mother fundamentally changes. We get a huge reveal of a huge secret and it actually explains, in a completely satisfying way, one of the most enduring mysteries of Murdock’s life. Mark Waid has, in no small part, redefined the character’s backstory for the better in a way that hasn't been done since Frank Miller's legendary run.

Javier Rodriguez shares a storyteller credit with Mark Waid as well as a credit as colorist, so I have to assume that, in addition to helping steer the plot, he’s also handling the pencils (we’ll get to inks in a moment) and this is a great issue for reminding the reader that Rodriguez helped relaunch the Man Without Fear with an incredible new take on how his powers are represented on the page. Anytime we shift to Daredevil’s “radar view,” it’s a highlight of the issue and the action, of which the issue is front-loaded with, looks fantastic. These are all experts at hand-to-hand combat all working at their peak and it feels like they’re moving so fast, we’re just catching glimpses of it. Alvaro Lopez handles inks, bringing a solid, dark defined look to the title. As much as Rodriguez is the choreographer of the moves, Lopez’s inks give them impact and and force. In the quieter moments of the issue, Lopez also brings the impact, but it’s the emotional kind, giving the facial features of the characters depth. Rodriguez also handles the colors, and I really can’t say enough good about those, particularly in the crazy diversity of locations we visit. From jungle to palace to plane to city, everything looks gorgeous and fully realized.

The Bad

The Wakanda element of this whole thing feels incredibly half-baked. If Black Panther is going to show up later in the series, or if Queen Shuri is going to become a recurring character, that’s more of a justification. For the time being, it feels like a diversion until we get to the real meat of the matter. It’s by no means badly executed or rendered, it just doesn’t feel like it was necessary for Matt Murdock (and others) to travel to another continent for a story that could have taken place in New York or San Francisco.

The Verdict

This issue has its flaws, but it doesn’t let those override what is an amazing second half. And while the first half may falter, it falters beautifully with some great visuals and choreography and impressive action. Ultimately, though, the issue comes together when Waid gives us a twist on Matt thought he saw and takes the characters in a completely new, mostly unexplored, direction. It’s a difficult thing to answer questions THIS long-standing, but this issue manages to not only accomplish it, but make it well worth reading as an addition to Daredevil’s canon.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I hated this arc. Man tired of these Original Sin tie-ins.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I wasn't crazy about this issue. But I'm really glad Jack Murdock isn't the monster he appeared to be last issue.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree with your review it wasnt the greatest issue but it told a good story

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it a lot.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: just what for months of oct - jan ? where your going to get axis, spiderverse, and death of wolverine tie-ins / mini serieses every month

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: just what for months of oct - jan ? where your going to get axis, spiderverse, and death of wolverine tie-ins / mini serieses every month

?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was great. The wakanda parts were awesome too despite BP not being there. Everything about this issue was great, except that I don't really care about Daredevil's mom and wasn't at all interested in her story. Other wise it was great though I'm ready to move on from all this original sin stuff now.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: whoops i should really reread what i write sorry about that

what i meant to say was if you hate tie-ins then the next coming months are really going to suck since theirs going to be at least three different "events" happening in those months and you know marvel is going to wont to tie them into anything and everything

ssulti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssulti

why was shuri acting bitchy in this story?

this is why I want t'challa to be king again instead of her

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jdp180

So this whole issue was about post-postpartum depression. Nice to see comics attack real life issues besides crime and murder.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know. Marvel pisses me off with that crap and their 4$ books.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending made me go "Awwww" so hard.

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm so glad I ordered the first 5 off ebay for $13.00. I just read Bendis' Daredevil collection vol. 1 for the first time and loved it, and with all the good things I've heard about Waid's I went ahead and ordered the collected editions of those from my library. I'm about to boost my Daredevil knowledge exceptionally.

Also can't wait for Netlfix's series.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I just paid $3.99 for a PSA on Postpartum Depression.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i liked it a lot. It did make me sad. And after connecting it with born again, i felt kinda sad.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

I am incredibly glad Jack isn't a wife-beater, but I'm kinda bummed Maggie had to get through it with "faith" and not by her own will. That's the atheist in me, I guess. Whatever gets you out of the darkness.

A great issue.

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast said:

I am incredibly glad Jack isn't a wife-beater, but I'm kinda bummed Maggie had to get through it with "faith" and not by her own will. That's the atheist in me, I guess. Whatever gets you out of the darkness.

A great issue.

If it can make you a bit more satisfied, it was more an issue of directing negative energy and not knowing your place in some kind of direction when feeling hopeless. Many people use religion for that, so they can concentrate on different stuff. If you noticed, it was only in her backstory religion was mentioned. It wasn't a "believe in god is all you need" more than Maggie needing to find an escape. Postpartum depression is actually a bigger deal and it is used well in this story. The whole prospect of her son accepting her in the end, telling her that she still did good in helping others, it's an overcoming thing.

Kreniigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Criticizing a reviewer's score is probably one of the least productive things to do in a comments section, but here goes:

If the issue has flaws, I wouldn't give it a perfect 5/5 star rating. That's basically saying it's at least as good as, say, Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns. I'm constantly amazed by the number of perfect 5/5 or 10/10 ratings I see on a weekly basis... Personally, I'd reserve those for a very small handful of comics. But that's just me.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By phocracker

Love the element about Murdock's dad. Hate the Wakanda, pointless filler. Would have liked the Green Arrow action mini-box element had the imagery been more realistic rather than painted.

Main element of the book 9/10

Coloring and drawings - 7/10, basic, done for decades, let's upgrade the series please.

Overall story - 7/10. Wakanda filler seriously?

Always wondered why people produce average.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I liked this issue. It's not my favorite of the last few issues but it was still good. I don't understand people always bitching about a comic. If you don't like a certain writer or artist don't buy the book.