undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Since the start of his run, Mark Waid’s gone out of his way to ensure that this Daredevil not be as dark as the last few creative teams on him. And not for nothing, many of the stories those teams told will go down in history as classics, and rightly so, but at a certain point, there’s only so much a single character can take and Waid seems to understand that. So he’s shown a lighter Devil, one that takes the previous storylines into account, but instead of being dragged down by them, pushes against and overcomes them. Though this issue definitely takes some darker turns, but they’re not entirely foreign as Waid’s run hasn’t been all sunshine and lollipops for ol’ Hornhead. This issue, in particular, shows the seams beginning to buckle under Murdock’s new way of life and while he’s picked up a new ally, it may be too late for anyone to do anything after the jaw-dropper that happens midway through this issue. A jaw-dropper that necessitates the return of someone Murdock likely wished to never encounter again after securing away his closest loved ones. Waid even leaves a few stones unturned for future storylines and manages to both paint Daredevil into a desperate corner while giving him a massive amount of potential for future storylines. It’s a tricky thing to do, but it’s a needle that Waid threads well.

Chris Samnee’s linework, as well as his contributions to the storytelling, are to the high standards he’s set for himself every issue, and come across looking expressive and very well paced. There’s a great use of negative space that comes off as intentional and stylistic rather than a corner-cutting method to save time, rendering whichever it actually is moot as it works regardless. Matthew Wilson does an absolutely gorgeous job as well, bringing a level of sinister malevolence to the events of the book, and malevolent it is. This is one of the darker issues and there’s a great sense of dreariness that never drags the overall tone down nor does it betray the lighter overall sense that the book has achieved.

The Bad

This issue suffers from an overabundance of comings-and-goings, and while it’s all well-written and well-illustrated, it still feels like there’s too much happening all at once for any one thing to have the emotional impact it deserves. At least three, and maybe four depending on how one looks at it, large events occur in this single issue, at least one of which is a quieter, more introspective one, and it feels like could have been more evenly paced across two issues.

The Verdict

Too much of a good thing might not be the best, but it’s still pretty great! Waid and Samnee’s ability to take this book on a roller-coaster of tone while still keeping it consistent is one of their most amazing talents, and this issue is a great illustration of that. While things are still, generally, bright and shiny, there’s a lot happening under the surface that the visuals do a great job of exploring, making this one of the more diverse, dynamic books on the shelf. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the FANTASTIC parody cover. It's subtle, but it gets the point across amazingly well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That cover is anything but subtle.

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm so happy this is ending :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

The show makes it even more clear how low this comic has gotten

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 more issues to go!!!!!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@testament said:

Don't you guy have something better to do that nagging about a series some of us enjoy?

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat ending! I'm scared for Matt.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 owie  Moderator

I love the cover.

I did feel like things rushed a bit too much. I also don't see how Matt is going to get out of this, it seems pretty problematic.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

simple_man815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't understand the people who don't like Waid's run.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PunyParker

@waezi2 said:
@punyparker said:
@testament said:

Don't you guy have something better to do that nagging about a series some of us enjoy?

You have an opinion.
We have ours.

Don't you have anything better to do than nag about different opinions than yours?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daredevil21134

@samuel_simmons said:

All of you hating on this series can go die. Marvel is crap and this is one of the only good books they publish.

Waid fans are as sensitive as he is.You must be 10 years old if you're willling to tell someone to die over a crappy comic series.

TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samuel_simmons said:

All of you hating on this series can go die. Marvel is crap and this is one of the only good books they publish.

Waid fans are as sensitive as he is.You must be 10 years old if you're willling to tell someone to die over a crappy comic series.

I know right? That was disturbing. I made sure to flag him.

TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't understand the people who don't like Waid's run.

What don't you understand? We don't like seeing our favorite character look like a buffoon

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

@testament: If anyone watches the popular Netflix show and reads the current comics and tells me that Daredevil running around maskless in a suit and tie looking like the bastard son of the Riddler and I have no reason to be upset or dislike this series than they're not worth our time.I've seen a lot of supporters turn on this series.It's not just us.It's become pretty ridiculous.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
@punyparker said:
@testament said:

You have an opinion.

We have ours.

Don't you have anything better to do than nag about different opinions than yours?

Hahahaha.

Avatar image for noteworthington
Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard that Marvel is going to place a personal phone call to the internet to make sure they approve of their stories ahead of time starting in 2017.

Unfortunately this won’t curb negativity on these forums, since they can only do one storyline at a time, and so we will have to put up with overly opinionated naysayers until their approved storyline gets green-lit for the next year.

In light of this I think Marvel is going to start letting fans write their favorite characters books sometime shortly after, because it’s really just not fair to force people to read books they don’t like.

All of this is unprecedented mind you, since storylines never change or diverge or get retconned in the comics medium, I have to give kudos to the brave, nagging, deliberately negative and sour Mega Fans of Daredevil, for helping foment the proper dissent deserved for this book.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noteworthington: That was quite a mouth full chief.But we're actually pretty nice compared to most fandoms that get their favorite character crapped on by a writer.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Gjgp27

That cover and art do not fit the character AT ALL!!!!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@punyparker said:
@waezi2 said:
@punyparker said:
@testament said:

You have an opinion.

We have ours.

Hahahaha.

So, if I'm in a cinema, watching a movie I don't like, should I then complain about it while everyone else is watching it?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PunyParker

@waezi2 said:
@daredevil21134 said:
@punyparker said:
@waezi2 said:
@punyparker said:
@testament said:

You have an opinion.

We have ours.

Hahahaha.

So, if I'm in a cinema, watching a movie I don't like, should I then complain about it while everyone else is watching it?

What the.....how is this an equivalent of what we're doing now?!....you know what a forum is?!!.....it's a place where we share opinions!!....

Seriously dude, wow....

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: You act like we're in your living room.It's a forum dude.Opinions will be stated.Feel free ignore if you want but don't whine cause everyone has the right to voice their thoughts.Cinema lol

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
@daredevil21134 said:
@punyparker said:
@waezi2 said:
@punyparker said:
@testament said:

You have an opinion.

We have ours.

Hahahaha.

What the.....how is this an equivalent of what we're doing now?!....you know what a forum is?!!.....it's a place where we share opinions!!....

Seriously dude, wow....

Reading his analogy hurt my brain.

@gjgp27 said:

That cover and art do not fit the character AT ALL!!!!

Agreed

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PunyParker

@daredevil21134 said:

Maybe he was reading the comicbook WHILE we were complaining about it, so he was disturbed by the logic shower he got. ;)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Maybe he was reading the comicbook WHILE we were complaining about it, so he was disturbed by the logic shower he got. ;)

Hahahahaha.That would make sense

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, knock it off. Both sides. Opinions are opinions.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha haha haha haha haha haha haha lol lol lol, to think that folks actually like or loved Waid's DD stuff. What's more hilarious is that there trying to still great, oh man this is so funny.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#34  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@waezi2: @waezi2: Fanboys brobro. Juat ignore them.

Loved this issue

~MiB

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Oh my god this issue was so good. I forgot all about Fisk being thought dead since Superior.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Chill. That comment is really aggressive and won't encourage anyone to read it. If you really think its so great then tell people about the good aspects of the comic, not tell them to die for disagreeing with your opinion.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people take things too seriously, I don't literally want you to drop dead people. Good god and you think people are stupid for liking this series.