undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The Purple Man was something of a one-off when he was first introduced, like so many villains of the era, but leave it to Brian Bendis to take his vocal and visual mind control powers to a sinister, darkly logical extreme and have his penchant not just for serial killing, but other urges be slaked as well. And leave it to Mark Waid to show the fruits of those urges in the most legitimately horrifying way. When last we left both Matt Murdock and Killgrave, they were under a bridge and both in a bad, bad way, though the latter much moreso than the former. Waid gives us a glimpse into what depression really means as Matt struggles to even find the desire to stand back up, and it’s here we get our first glimpse of the writing truly standing out this issue: whether through personal experience or a reference from someone in his life, Waid captures what being in the throes of true depression feels like, with Murdock going into great depth as to what his meant both to him and for him before pulling himself up by his nails. Though he doesn’t capture Killgrave, he manages to get back on his children’s track, though the answer was as obvious as the nose on his face. Despite taking place across San Francisco, this is an intimate issue, featuring mostly Daredevil and the Purple...Family? That doesn’t sound right... with Kirsten McDuffie making a critical, though brief, couple of appearances.

Chris Samnee, sharing a storytelling credit with Waid, gives this book an absolute ton of life and verve, animating the City by the Bay and the characters living in it. Even with a page using only black panels, it feels earned after the previous page showed friends and loved ones (from Matt’s radar-sense perspective) fading away as his mind banishes them. It’s a striking contrast and one that Samnee pulls off amazingly well. The action later in the issue is likewise evocative and fluid, giving the characters a real sense of movement and powerful force. Matthew Wilson also brings the moody, dark visuals that this title both needs and deserves. And while things may brighten here and there, the darkness is never far from creeping back in.

The Bad

The middle of the issue, and the ultimate fate of the children, feels like it wraps up a little too quickly and a little too neatly. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t exactly expecting a knock-down, drag-out fight between Daredevil and a bunch of children, but it felt like we were just gaining momentum when WHOOP! Situation’s over, everything’s contained! I wouldn't have minded seeing this storyline extend at least one more issue, thought at least one critical point looks like it'll be sticking around a little longer.

The Verdict

The final pages of this issue make me so completely excited to see what Mark Waid and Chris Samnee have next for poor Hornhead. Without going into any spoiler territory, though the character’s got a great cast of villains, and Waid’s even given us some brilliant ones both of his creation and from elsewhere in the Marvel U, his greatest foe has always been himself. That sounds trite, and maybe it is, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true and that especially doesn’t mean that Waid isn’t ready to crack his knuckles and give us a Matt Murdock story we’ve never seen before.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Waid's been giving Murdock stories we've never seen before through his entire run lol.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why does everyone hate Waid's run?

Lazz33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt: No idea. Its a great run and I don't understand the hate it gets from this site's readers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@kivatt said:

Coz he writes DD like he's Spider-Man, like this entire run was just an audition for that book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

Haters gonna hate? It doesn't remind me of Spider-Man as some keep saying, but it is different from the way Daredevil stories were told in the past; which were more like gritty crime stories.

beneverett39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A solid issue. I do agree that the story does seem to wrap itself up a bit too quickly and perhaps carrying the arc over to another issue might have helped, but that could also be due to the fact that I'm just so drawn in to the material that I just want to spend more time with these characters. Despite that minor reservation, this issue (much like the whole of Waid and Co's run) has far more hits than misses. Their DD has consistently been one of the best superhero books out there, and is a great example of a creative team who can still work wonders even when they're slightly off-their-game.

As for the whole "Waid's DD is Spider-Man" business, I do admit that I can see a little of that here and there, but I have never get the impression that it was trying to be something other than what it is. More that it was just approaching the material from a different angle (if that makes any sense). DD and Spidey are pretty similar in several ways, maybe that's why they've been buddies for so long. But when I look at this Matt Murdock, I don't see Peter Parker with red hair, I still see the same character I've enjoyed for years.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@kivatt said:

Haters gonna hate? It doesn't remind me of Spider-Man as some keep saying, but it is different from the way Daredevil stories were told in the past; which were more like gritty crime stories.

So anytime people dislike something they are haters? What kind of mentality is that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@kivatt said:

So anytime people dislike something they are haters? What kind of mentality is that?

Why are you asking me this?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#10  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

this was good.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kivatt said:

Coz he writes DD like he's Spider-Man, like this entire run was just an audition for that book.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Curious who you'd like to take over the book next year now that it's been announced their run is ending?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Curious who you'd like to take over the book next year now that it's been announced their run is ending?

The Hivemind of the Official Daredevil Thread has chosen Jeff Lemire as a worth successor.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: That's actually a really good pick. I'd definitely read that. Hmm, Sorrentino is working for Marvel now as well with no long plans announced.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

If it is, he's got my vote.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xframe29

@sparty_dbq: I agree with you... but only a bit. You see yes I guess it is written a little like Spider-man. But Dare devil has always had qualities that makes him different.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 owie  Moderator

Solid issue. I agree that it wrapped up a little quickly but I liked the double ending. Make sure to check out the page after the letters page!

It's interesting how this series has really chosen to put focus on a number of serious issues, from Foggy's cancer to post-partum depression to depression in general.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt: it isn't everyone. It's a vocal minority of abrasive DD fans who are unwilling to let a writer temporarily shake up DD.

Funny how we don't see them complain about Shadowland.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@kivatt: Cuz Waid decided to try something new by bringing back some of the spirit from the pre- Frank Miller days of Daredevil.

Really I like the book. The story is good and one of my favorite artist of modern comics is working on the book. Daredevil is my favorite Marvel book.

Avatar image for left_my_heart_in_san_franchees
Left_My_Heart_In_San_Francheesie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of the issue was fantastic! I do agree though that the Purple Kids storyline wrapped way too quick and clean though. I don't understand the Waid hate, I've been reading DD for a long time and I think the more upbeat tone is a welcome change from the usual grit. The only change I don't really care for is the move to San Francisco.