k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

While "modern" Cyclops is a stern and serious dude, writer Greg Rucka's run with "past" Cyclops presents such a lovable character. Right with the very first caption, we understand just how personable young Scott is. Having a lighthearted and often sarcastic version of the mutant really enhances the enjoyment value of the road space trip he's enjoying with Corsair. If you've been reading along, then you know the situation has become desperate and they need to escape. Otherwise, Scott's father will die and the young X-Man will be stuck on the unpleasant planet.

Despite the stakes being high, this fifth chapter is mostly about keeping the reader entertained with action and teaching us just a little more about the bounty hunters. For many, the focus on the bounty hunters will be a weak point and you'll be left wanting to instead see more of the dynamic between Cyclops and his father. It's a feeling I'd agree with, but the insight into the group does have a moderate amount of payoff in the end. Besides, it's always a good time seeing Scott's abilities as a tactician being put to use and we finally get to see if that sword training was time well spent or if he should just stick to using his mutant power.

Just like with the previous issue, artist Carmen Nunez Carnero, colorist Chris Sotomayor, and inker Terry Pallot do an impressive job bringing this alien world and the characters which inhabit it to life. The various melees and effects from weapons -- most notably optic blasts -- are sold especially well, but my personal highlight has the be the handling of Savva's expressions. You don't even need the dialogue to understand the dilemma she faces and how it impacts her on an emotional level. And the "character slowly emerging from the water" trope was quite cool. Cyclops may only be 16 years-old in this series, but he still isn't someone you'd want to upset. They do a really good job balancing his lighthearted moments with the ones that remind us why he's a formidable hero.

The Bad

While there is a strong bonding moment in the very end, much of this issue is basically action and a little more insight into how this group of bounty hunters operates. It's still entertaining, but there isn't much plot progression or depth -- it's mostly amusing encounters and fights. Also, I thought it was a little odd that there wasn't a noticeable sense of urgency about Corsair's need to get more medicine.

The Verdict

CYCLOPS #5 isn't as emotionally compelling or substantial as the other chapters, but it makes up for that by offering a big ol' dose of fun action. Seeing Cyclops use an optic blast or two is always a good time -- especially considering how the art team handles it -- but this chapter primarily focuses on how gifted Scott is tactically and gives all of that sword training a little payoff. Even though the emphasis on the father/son relationship isn't as strong as it was in the other issues, there's still a solid exchange in the end and I'm left wanting to see more adventures with the Summers family.

CYCLOPS is a nice break from all of the gloom and doom that's taking place in many other comics. Sure, there's some potential for a really impactful turn of events, but the series always manages to have a sense of charm as these two bond while traveling the cosmos. If you want some sci-fi fun, go ahead and give CYCLOPS a shot.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I sort of..forgot about this book. Read the first 2, but this kind of got lost in the shuffle.

For me the novelty wore off quickly and they need to find the purpose for this book soon, or Scott will be back on earth by the end of the year

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CTG

@mrfuzzynutz: So... you haven't read the last 3 issues, but make comments on what's it's doing wrong?

Seems reasonable. For the internet.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Amazing book!

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I like the concepts and writing of this title, but the (interior) art in this issue leaves something to be desired.