gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Cyclops is a great character. He’s a great leader and is dedicated to his team and mutants around the world. Sometimes he can be a little stiff or two-dimensional. When Brian Michael Bendis brought the original X-Men from the past into the present, we found ourselves with two different versions of most of the characters. For a character like young Cyclops to see his future and what he’s become, even if you’re on the “Cyclops was right” side, it can be a lot to take in. Now young Cyclops has discovered his father, Corsair, thought to be dead, is alive and is a space pirate, how could he resist wanting to spend time with him.

By taking young Cyclops out of the familiar X-Men setting, as we've seen the first time around, and putting him in space, there's no telling what we'll see. This experience, and getting to know his father during these younger years, could shape him into a different person. It's both scary and fascinating to think about how all of these experiences could blow up the entire time stream. At the least, it could change who Cyclops grows up into.

Greg Rucka does a great job in filling newer readers on what's going on. It's a pretty convoluted bit of backstory but Rucka lays it all out with ease and also gives readers a taste of who the rest of the Starjammers are.

Russell Dauterman's art is phenomenal. As a relative newcomer to comics, he's someone to keep an eye on. His recent (but brief) stint on NIGHTWING immediately caught our attention. It's going to be a blast to see what Dauterman will have to draw in this series.

The Bad

This was a great starting point for a new series but it almost feels like a prologue with the rest of the series going in a slightly different direction. Will the series focus on Cyclops with the Starjammers or more on just Cyclops and his father? Rucka touches on it a little here but it still seems a little out of character for Cyclops to run away from the rest of his team. But you can't blame him for everything he's seen and experienced lately.

I know we shouldn't think about it but you have to wonder how long the young X-Men can stay in the present. It's a small distraction despite how much fun it is seeing them here.

The Verdict

Cyclops finally has his own ongoing series. Only this isn't quite the Cyclops we know. When the young original X-Men were brought to the present, we've had chance to see these characters slowly start to evolve differently. The idea of a sixteen-year-old Cyclops having adventures out in space with his father is pretty far out and is bound to have an affect on him. Russell Dauterman's art is perfect for the series and I can't wait to see what Greg Rucka throws at him in future issues. Whether you love Cyclops or not, this is a series to check out to find out who this Cyclops will become. Marvel is on fire with their recent new solo titles focusing on individual characters. It's a great time to be a comic fan. It's just a little hard on the wallet.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So how is Corsair alive? I thought Vulcan killed him during War of Kings.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@greenlucario: Through the magical power of the ancient god, R'Etcon

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"...and he said'th onto them "" Let there be life!"" and those who were dead didth not die, but returnth a century later...."

- Bendiz 9:14 (The Holy Graphic Docturine.)

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this and am praying it's good... Cyclops is my favorite character. Would've preferred either present-day Cyclops to get a series, or for this to not take place in space... =/

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue is awesome. A really great start, I hope it stays good.

Also, I don't care how Corsair resurrected, it's the Marvel Universe, everyone resurrects here. And he's like the coolest dad ever so I'm glad he's alive.

Avatar image for stephen_mitchell
Stephen_Mitchell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it. Read it. LOVED IT!!

Although I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly concerned that Corsair is planning on using his son as a means to an end. He IS a PIRATE, after all. Is he truly looking to bond with his son? Or does he see his son's ability as a tactical advantage to his craft.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liveforever: I gotta say, as a fellow fan of Cyclops, this issue spends a lot of energy having the younger version talk smack about the older one. He says he wishes he grew up to be like his deadbeat pirate dad instead the hero we know, who has saved the world multiple times.....cuz that makes sense.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope people buy this.Support Cyclops people.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@summersblood: Yeah... I'm getting whiplash with all the younger X-Men's opinion changes. I get that they're teenagers, and teenagers have mood swings, but remember how upset young Jean Grey was getting at young Cyclops because of what present Cyclops turns out to be? Now, over in ANXM, Jean talks glowingly about present Cyclops. Meanwhile, after hanging out and siding with present Cyclops, young Cyclops hates on present Cyclops? It makes no sense.

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531 said:

"...and he said'th onto them "" Let there be life!"" and those who were dead didth not die, but returnth a century later...."

Okay, this made me laugh, hard :p

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm going to be real sad if this book turns out to be only Tyke and Corsair, I want a Starjammers ongoing.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tximinoman

@summersblood: Yeah... I'm getting whiplash with all the younger X-Men's opinion changes. I get that they're teenagers, and teenagers have mood swings, but remember how upset young Jean Grey was getting at young Cyclops because of what present Cyclops turns out to be? Now, over in ANXM, Jean talks glowingly about present Cyclops. Meanwhile, after hanging out and siding with present Cyclops, young Cyclops hates on present Cyclops? It makes no sense.

When she got mad at young Cyclops she only had listened to the Jean Grey School's part of the story. Later, in battle of the atom, she actually met old Cyclops and unlike everyone at JGS (except for Kitty and Rachel), he was the only adult who support her so she realized that maybe he wasn't as bad as they said he was.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it. Read it. LOVED IT!!

Although I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly concerned that Corsair is planning on using his son as a means to an end. He IS a PIRATE, after all. Is he truly looking to bond with his son? Or does he see his son's ability as a tactical advantage to his craft.

Nah, he's not. Back in the day, when he and old Scott met up for the first time, he also offered the chance to travel with him for a while but Scott declined after he met Madelyne Pryor.

Eivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@summersblood said:

@liveforever: I gotta say, as a fellow fan of Cyclops, this issue spends a lot of energy having the younger version talk smack about the older one. He says he wishes he grew up to be like his deadbeat pirate dad instead the hero we know, who has saved the world multiple times.....cuz that makes sense.

Because what young Cyclops saw of his present self is a militant leader of mutants who is also a criminal on the run from the law. Whats more he ended up suffering guilt by association since it is his future self. And its bit much to call Corsair a deadbeat pirate. He was unaware his children were even alive until he met them as adults. And despite being a pirate Corsair for the most part has been a rebel against the Shiar.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ONLY FOUR STARS?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! G-MAN YOU ARE CRAZY!! HATER!!!

Totally kidding, of course!

I really loved this issue. I thought the art was great and felt this opened doors for a lot of future stories, so yeah, in a sense it did feel like a prologue. My only issue with this story is that it felt a tad long. Seemed never ending.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 owie  Moderator

I am also a bit annoyed at the continuing changes/backlash of the young X-men against Cyke, because honestly he has not really done anything all that bad around them. Before they showed up, maybe. But since? He's pretty much been a standard hero.

But anyway I am glad to have this opportunity for a young Cyclops book. I just hope they don't make him too happy go lucky, like they seem to be. Young or old, Slim was never happy go lucky.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#19  Edited By iceslick

@g_man: I am assuming Cyclops leaves with his father because he wants to be just like him. But little does he know that his father isn't such a great father. I guess that's why older Cyclops doesn't like his Dad too much because he already knows that. This Cyclops in other hand is too blind to notice that maybe he isn't a great Dad and maybe he will later down the road. Also him being younger causes him to be blind. By the way, good review I agree with with every point you made.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eeshaan1685

ONLY FOUR STARS?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! G-MAN YOU ARE CRAZY!! HATER!!!

Totally kidding, of course!

I really loved this issue. I thought the art was great and felt this opened doors for a lot of future stories, so yeah, in a sense it did feel like a prologue. My only issue with this story is that it felt a tad long. Seemed never ending.

Such an amazing book.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot to love about this issue. It's setting up to be a great potential story.

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Now this is the kind of space-faring adventure I want in Guardians of the Galaxy

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Superbat420

Why didn't they just send him back in time to find his father and spend time with him then?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Still hate the concept of the O5 being in the present but this book really was good. I like the pirate scenes. I hope after this is done they make a Starjammers series.

There is a question how the father is still alive but I would also like to know how he seems almost around the age as Adult Scott. Also what are those pills he's taking. Maybe they have to do with him being back.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It would be great if time was spent on explaining Corsair being alive because it was a pretty big deal when Vulcan killed him and Havok ended up staying in space with Rachel and Polaris afterwards. Also, how did his gorgeous side-kick (I do like how they depict her, she's clearly independent and badass) get back together with him when last I saw her, she was hanging around the X-Mansion?

I know all the above won't be explained, but it would be nice. Also, @dernman, I think you are on to something about the pills.

As for the book, I think it's adorable and endearing and while I do think Scott is a bit over dramatic with the dad love, he is still just a kid. If he wants to idolize his long lost dad (he's dashing and everything), then let 'im. We all know it won't last long, anyway.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

just got around to reading this and I've got to say I think I loved it!

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Greg Rucka is writing this.

this has to be fucking amazing. no excuses.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg Rucka is writing this.

this has to be fucking amazing. no excuses.

It is. Unless you have a bias towards the writer or character, there is absolutely no flaw to be found within this first issue.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

@maddpanda531 said:

Best comment EVER! (May I use this in the future?)

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@sora_thekey: Yu may indeed. Sorry for late reply I've been camping