• 67 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Cyborg is a character that’s been around since 1980. He became a member of the Teen Titans in the original continuity but in the New 52, he became a founding member of the Justice League. Since then, he’s played a big role on the team but never had the opportunity to fully venture out on his own adventures. That’s changing now.

No Caption Provided

The new series by David Walker, Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, and Adriano Lucas explores the recent changes started in the CYBORG Sneak Peek issue. Victor Stone is headed back “home” and that allows us to see his roots explored more as the focus is placed on who is was and what he’s becoming. We’re used to seeing so many miraculous characters with extraordinary powers and abilities, it’s easy to forget the things that makes Cyborg a fascinating and unique character. From this first issue, it looks like there’s a few different things we’ll get to explore.

There may be some minor spoilers below.

The Detroit Corner of the DCU

No Caption Provided

We tend to see the same locations in the DC Universe. We know all about places like Gotham City, Metropolis, Central City, etc. There was a tie when a lot of time was spent in Detroit. It’s understandable that other areas have a bigger focus but it’s great to see a quieter section with its own environment be used. Getting a different locale for action in the DCU is welcomed.

Tense Relationship with His Father

No Caption Provided

Relationships between children and their parents can often be tricky. With the separation between ages, they don’t usually see eye to eye. With Silas Stone, it’s understandable that it’s simply in his nature to dive into his work and become oblivious to his surroundings. Yet despite everything Vic went through which caused him to become Cyborg, you would think his father would try to re-evaluate his priorities. With everything he’s seen and done since becoming Cyborg and with his position in the Justice League, it would seem his visiting would be kind of a big deal. He’s not just stopping by for something to eat. They’ve had a convoluted history before and after his first accident. Seeing this strained relationship explored is intriguing.

Friends/Supporting Cast

No Caption Provided

We've all seen and love the friendship Cyborg has formed with Shazam/Billy Batson. As fun as it would be to see explored further here, it's extremely important to allow Victor some time away from his Justice League teammates. His childhood friend Sarah knows him better than most other people. He needs to be able to talk to others that aren't part of the crazy and chaotic superhero world. There is also the potential for another character to become closer to Victor's inner circle in this issue. Although, I can't help but be a little suspicious that this other character might have some ulterior motives.

Victor’s Feelings

No Caption Provided

As seen in the image above and the previous one, Victor is more than just a machine. There is some humanity inside. He's had a tough life growing up with a father who basically ignored him. He's gone through some horrific moments in becoming part machine and has actually died. All the while during his JUSTICE LEAGUE adventures, we never really got to see him deal with everything. With even more changes happening, it's important for us to be able to see what he's going through and how he's handling it all. Seeing this bit of humanity just makes Cyborg more relatable to readers.

Part of the Problem

No Caption Provided

I'm a big fan of seeing some real-world elements integrated into the fiction of superhero comics. Cyborg is a miracle. He can do amazing things. His attachments are so technologically advanced that it blows away what the average person in need could have. Where this protest scene goes in upcoming issues remains to be seen. I just dig seeing it acknowledge that the slightest bit of technology the heroes have could make a huge difference for the average citizen if they only had access.

A Deadly Threat and Big Changes

No Caption Provided

If you read that Sneak Peek issue, you saw Cyborg go through a tough battle. There's more to come with these guys. There's also the changes Victor is going through. We'll need to see the affects of what happened to him and find out if there's any further repercussions.

CYBORG #1 is the comic Cyborg fans have been waiting for. David Walker has a great handle on who Victor is and who he can be. It may just be that the time wasn't right before but now it is time for Victor to shine in the spotlight. We need and want to see him fleshed out more (no pun intended). Ivan Reis and Joe Prado are killing it with the art and Adriano Lucas' colors adds to the detail in the scenes and the emotions of the characters. If you're a long time fan of Cyborg or are looking to find out more about him, be sure to check out this book.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The preview didn't give me much faith.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will definitely read it. Love me some Cyborg.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Of course I'll read it.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the reviews I have seen have been good. Looking forward to it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kidchipotle

Surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed this issue. My one gripe with was that I felt the daddy issues came off a little too strong. But regardless, beautiful art and a great start for a story.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

read it and loved it

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@redwingx: I'm just curious. Do you always judge a book by it's preview?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really hope those protesters become the Post Flashpoint version of the Phantom Limbs.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like some interesting themes will be covered in Cyborg's story. At least in issue 1.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was very good.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redwingx
@nightfang said:

That's what previews are for.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll pick it up in Tradepaperback.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MaxSavage

It was a solid issue. I always felt that Cyborg place in the league was unneeded, he does his part, but could easily be replaced with someone else, his character was never made interesting in the new 52, hopefully now we can get something that proves he's not just a spot filler, but a complex character that is worth exploring. Also, Cyborg finally has a book!

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan!!

thebluestreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the first issue. I want more right now!

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Issue was great. Cant wait for the second issue . I like this new edition cyborg tech look

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a couple previews and it was a fun read. im definitely giving this a try.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was a good issue, cant wait for the rest

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

@nightfang said:

That's what previews are for.

I can only speck for myself, but i've read a few previews that made a book like bad, but than after reading a copy I actually liked the book. My point is sometimes previews make a book like worse than it really is.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't love this as a "knocked it out of the park" first issue, but it was good and interesting enough that I'll give it at least a couple more issues to see how it goes. I think the book has a ton of potential.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike the use of the word "should" on these articles. It leaves with it negative connotations such as regret, and implies that you know best and that I lack the ability to make the best decisions for myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was really good

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a solid issue. I always felt that Cyborg place in the league was unneeded, he does his part, but could easily be replaced with someone else, his character was never made interesting in the new 52, hopefully now we can get something that proves he's not just a spot filler, but a complex character that is worth exploring. Also, Cyborg finally has a book!

To be fair though, everyone's a little replacable in the league.

Superman has strength, but comparably you've got guys like Shazam and Wonder Woman.

Flash is fast, but Superman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman aren't slow by any means.

Batman is smart, but so is Lex Luthor and there are things about the world Aquaman knows that Bruce doesn't. Cyborg is smart too.

Wonder Woman, isn't the only person with magic, when you include Shazam and Aquaman.

Just to name a few.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage said:

It was a solid issue. I always felt that Cyborg place in the league was unneeded, he does his part, but could easily be replaced with someone else, his character was never made interesting in the new 52, hopefully now we can get something that proves he's not just a spot filler, but a complex character that is worth exploring.

I completely disagree, I think he's been one of the most engaging characters in the New 52.

Also, Cyborg finally has a book!

I don't understand the point of this sentence.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MaxSavage

@scouterv: Replace Superman, Batman , Wonder Woman, Flash etc and it seizes to be the core Justice League. Their powers equates to but a quarter of what they individually bring to the team

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This big threat looks like The Reapers and some Geths from Mass Effect.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Replace Superman, Batman , Wonder Woman, Flash etc and it seizes to be the core Justice League. Their powers equates to but a quarter of what they individually bring to the team

Not saying replace them. What I'm saying is, if someone is indisposed, (say Superman is on the ropes with Joker, and can't help stop your Alien invasion,) then the good thing about The League is, there are members that can pick up the slack. You can't really say that Cyborg is unneeded. He's no more indispensable than anyone else on the team, and honestly, if someone HAD to go, Cyborg would not be on the chopping block if I were calling the shots, and if whoever was was smart.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Maybe unneeded wasn't the best word to use. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that i'm glad he's finally getting some attention and finally his own book, because he's the only member who doesn't have an individual story line of the 7.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I might get this when it becomes a trade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I didn't know we were getting daddy issues in this book -- I'm in :)

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too smooth

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I didn't have any issues with the book but I wasn't blown away either. It was very basic. Which makes sense because it seems like they are presenting the book as an introduction to the character. So they cover familiar ground ( his origin and his relationship with dad) . I hope issue two picks up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

This, pretty much.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Likewise. The art was awesome, as was the plot (I guess), but the dialogue was really cheesy. I hope it improves, I really want this title to succeed.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

the sneak peek on DC's website is wayy better

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That bad dialog made me not want to pick it up.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with this.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Cy book was a great read

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#40  Edited By Extremis

@redwingx said:

^^this.

Ivan Reis' art seems no different than it was years ago to me. I don't see any growth in the range of expressions for his characters. They always have an intense scowl when they are saying something. And every character has the same open mouth. His work on Aquaman and Green Lantern was beautiful but I'd like to see his style evolve and grow with time like every other artist.

The writing isn't grabbing me here either. I might not read this one.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: daddy issues are a gigantic part of why vic is who he is. So yeah.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarBrand1

People complaining about Ivan Reis art???!!! With NO DUE respect, you are all wrong, and insane.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Artwork was solid and beautiful. Hoping that the story doesn't turn into another gold suit cyborg rehash story. Writing was excellent though I could have done without the silly space alien crap. Getting into the characters head was really good. Def. continuing on with this one.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Cyborg never really caught my attention. I don't know why he just isn't a very appealing super hero.

Danana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We see in JLA how Cyborg keeps getting more and more technologically advanced, but I hope we see Victor really get an opportunity to be more human. Some of the initial interactions with other people gives me hope, but let's address some other silly little things: liking to eat certain foods (even if he doesn't need to); maybe wearing some clothing (the guy pretty much marches around town naked); the value of watching a movie in real time instead of instantly uploading it to his brain.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

The artwork is amazing, the direction the story is going in (emergence of a new threat, highlighting the relationship between Vic and Sarah, etc.), his evolving tech, the writing- it's all awesome. I know that if the pessimists who immediately see something new bothered to actually pick up the first issue, they would, at the very least, find it mildly interesting. Cyborg's always been one of my favorite Titans, and I always wondered why every Justice League team member had an ongoing post New 52, but Cyborg and Shazam (or as I like to call him, "The Artist Formerly Known as Captain Marvel") were the only ones left out.

Now all we need is a Shazam ongoing that isn't just a mini in the back of a different title, a better Static relaunch, Blue Devil, a Firestorm series that sees Jason and Ronnie taking turns being Firestorm, and soooo many others.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: I judge a book by it's character, it's preview (dialogue and artwork), it's released review, and a skim through the first issue itself. (If the issue fails to impress, but later issues are rated highly, then TPB will be purchased). Cyborg has boring artwork (Green Arrow post Lemire), boring robotic story, and an alright character whom I prefer to read about only in Justice League.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: Yeah but it wasnt this bad ever in previous continuity.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm this may have actually made me less likely to read it

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1 said:

People complaining about Ivan Reis art???!!! With NO DUE respect, you are all wrong, and insane.

IKR?

I thought it was bad enough when people complained about John Romita Jr. or Bryan Hitch, but Ivan Reis? the f*ck?