gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The Convergence books so far have been interesting. We've been able to see past versions of our favorite characters written and drawn by a variety of creators. The main problem many have is the formulaic presentation most have had--we're introduced to the characters, the dome falls, featured characters are forced to fight other versions of heroes. What some of have really wanted was the chance to actually see and visit the worlds featuring these other versions of the characters. That's exactly what Jeff Parker, Doc Shaner, and Jordie Bellaire manage to do.

Parker comes up with a simple but brilliant loop hole that allows us to see Billy Batson and friends for pretty much the entire issue. It's like a dream come true for fans of the characters. There may be some limitations due to Billy, Mary, and Freddie being powerless because of the dome but it's a great way to spend some time in their gone, but not forgotten, world.

Shaner's art and Bellaire's colors will dazzle you as each page oozes with nostalgia as well as suspense and intrigue. There are plenty of familiar faces that will make you want to read the issue as slowly as possible so you can savor it all before reaching the end.

The Bad

You know what has to come eventually. Getting this nice taste of the characters and what their essence is supposed to be allows us to look forward to the next issue, even if it has to follow the Convergence-fighting formula.

The Verdict

If you have any sort of fondness for Shazam (Captain Marvel), Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr., you won't want to miss this book. The Convergence titles have been forced to follow a certain formula but Jeff Parker finds a way to slightly work around that and deliver a fantastic story, true to who the characters are. Doc Shaner's art and Jordie Bellaire's colors will make you wish we could spend an even longer period of time here. If you think you've seen all the Convergence titles have to offer, you haven't seen this issue. Just a warning, you might find yourself unable to resist cheering out load for the heroes.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

^^yep

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hands down the best convergence book. I'm surprise captainmarvel4ever isn't the first poster.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The art was perfect for this book

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Currently on my phone, I'll go into detail later, my quick review is that this issue was absolutely spectacular, buy it as soon as you can, the writing and art were perfect :)

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good, nice to see Jeff Parker on the character again, but I wouldn't quite label it as one of Cinvergences best,

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Jeff Parker should write the Shazam ongoiing.

~MiB

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent said:

Hands down the best convergence book. I'm surprise captainmarvel4ever isn't the first poster.

I'm in Washington DC right now traveling so I'm not as connected as usual (If I were though I would have been here in a second fanboying like crazy). Also I agree, this was very very good, the quality was far above a simple filler comic in both writing and art.

@micah:Thanks for the notice

@pizzaman:Thanks for letting people know I loved this

@crystalmaster:Easily and without doubt one of the best (and I'm not just saying that because I love Cap)

@madeinbangladesh:If DC decided to bring back proper Captain Marvel, then I would be behind this creative team 100%

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent said:

I'm in Washington DC right now traveling so I'm not as connected as usual (If I were though I would have been here in a second fanboying like crazy). Also I agree, this was very very good, the quality was far above a simple filler comic in both writing and art.

@crystalmaster:Easily and without doubt one of the best (and I'm not just saying that because I love Cap)

@madeinbangladesh:If DC decided to bring back proper Captain Marvel, then I would be behind this creative team 100%

No problem.

No Caption Provided

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman said:
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@holyserpent said:

No problem.

No Caption Provided

Ditto :)

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ! (again:)

I'll start by mentioning the one thing I did not like, the fact that there was a suicide bomber, and the fact that the Bullets couldn't save him, that felt super out of place, and frankly I like my Captain marvel stories to be kid friendly whenever possible.

This was just great, I love Pre-Crisis DC as it is, but my favorite reality/continuity is Earth-S (basically a Fawcett universe for those of you not in the know), and it was great to see a comic that takes place in that continuity again. My expectations for most Convergence books are kinda low, it's a filler event that's meant to be a fun call back and not much more, but this actually has the same level of quality as normal ongoing series (and a good one at that). Jeff Parker, a personal favorite of mine, gets the Marvel Family, and gets the Monster Society of Evil, he knows these characters very well and captures the tone of every character perfectly. Speaking of perfect, Evan "Doc" Shaner's art is not only a joy to look at, but it captures the essence of Earth-S perfectly, this feels and looks exactly how it should and I cannot express how much I love it. I'm well aware that both of these gentlemen are fans of the Big Red Cheese, and this comic shows just how devoted they are to delivering a great tribute to these characters. DC if you ever decide you wanna fix Billy and make him the character that me and many other people love again, hire these men and get them on the book (and if possible make it all ages).

One highlight besides seeing my beloved Marvel Family was seeing Bulletman and Bulletgirl I love them both (as i do all Earth-S characters) and even if it as brief it was nice to see them. The villains were also an absolute joy, as I said the art and tone were perfect and it was such a joy to see so many of my favorite classic villains together. The Easter eggs scattered through the issue were also very pleasing.

I may write my own review and go into further detail, but as you can tell (aside from one minor hiccup) I loved this. Seriously, go buy and read it, I don't care if you've never read a DC comic in your life. Heck I don't care if you've never bought a comic before, buy it. It was actually much better then the average Convergence book, great writing and fantastic art. The creative team was perfect, I wish they could do a true Captain marvel book. Who knows, maybe if enough people buy it will show DC people love these characters the way they were and that they are not broken, that they don't need to be washed away and forgotten.

All I can say now is I can't wait to get a physical copy, and I can't wait until issue two :)

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely gonna read this later.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect issue, really fun stuff and the art was great.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Synack1138

I'm not a big jeff Parker fan but I'm surprised on how much fun I had with this issue.

Also the ART was breathtaking. Really captured the era. Also BLUE BEETLE had terrific ART. If you haven't checked that out yet. The art on a lot of DC BOOKS have been superb.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was brilliant, right there next to Thunderworld Adventures. THIS is what Johns and Co should be paying attention to when writing stories about Billy Batson and the Marvel Family, not the grimdark crud that they've been writing.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrystalMaster
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed it. It really felt like a big mashup of a bronze age Captain Marvel adventure, throwing in all the characters, explaining (for the most part) who they were, what their jobs were, etc. There were a couple characters that were kind of grazed over I felt, but the pacing, art, writing all felt really good. It felt just refreshing to see Billy keeping his chin up after losing his powers with the dome, and staying active in his world. I really enjoyed it, glad I made the trip after work to grab my copy.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veronicacris said:

Perfect issue, really fun stuff and the art was great.

^This

I'm not a big jeff Parker fan but I'm surprised on how much fun I had with this issue.

Also the ART was breathtaking. Really captured the era. Also BLUE BEETLE had terrific ART. If you haven't checked that out yet. The art on a lot of DC BOOKS have been superb.

^This

This was brilliant, right there next to Thunderworld Adventures. THIS is what Johns and Co should be paying attention to when writing stories about Billy Batson and the Marvel Family, not the grimdark crud that they've been writing.

^Especially This

@opalance said:

I really enjoyed it. It really felt like a big mashup of a bronze age Captain Marvel adventure, throwing in all the characters, explaining (for the most part) who they were, what their jobs were, etc. There were a couple characters that were kind of grazed over I felt, but the pacing, art, writing all felt really good. It felt just refreshing to see Billy keeping his chin up after losing his powers with the dome, and staying active in his world. I really enjoyed it, glad I made the trip after work to grab my copy.

^Aaaaand This

:)

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RevivalMH

Just finished this issue. Couldn't agree more with the review and what mostly everyone is saying above. Truly the best issue of Convergence so far.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue cant believe dc let freddy say captain marvel in the book thought theyd put a stop to that

sailorsriracha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didn't realize bellaire was on this and still said, "boy these colors are incredible." great issue all around. all these convergence issues are very bittersweet

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredible Issue. They need to bring this Cap back.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jaybefre

Pleasantly surprised. This was an incredible book. I would definitely continue to read this if it was turned into an ongoing.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By CoryNick

Really enjoyed this! Don't know much about these characters Picked it up because of the creative team and I'm sure glad I did! Great all around.