gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The moment we've been waiting for is here. We've seen news of Convergence and even witnessed Superman discovering the huge number of bottled cities in the zero issue last week. This is going to be our chance to see past versions of our favorite characters. The issue strangely opens with a brief look at the INJUSTICE world but soon shifts to the survivors from EARTH 2: WORLD'S END. This gives readers of that series some immediate follow up to their fight against Darkseid.

Seeing the different versions of characters, even if they're just glimpses, you can't help but perk up a little. This is our chance to see certain versions of characters once again. The anticipation of them fighting others, while maybe not exactly how I would want to see them brought back and used, is intriguing.

Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz do a nice job on the art. John Starr's colors help give the different versions their own original feel. There's some interesting two-page layouts that moves the story across the book. It also allows for some more variation with the occasional bigger image popping out at you.

The Bad

For DC's big event taking over the entire publishing schedule for two months, this issue starts things off in a peculiar fashion. The decision to include and spend the majority of the issue focusing on the EARTH 2 characters might not have been the best move. For those that haven't been keeping up with the weekly series or the endless destruction in the monthly series, they might not have a firm attachment to these characters.

When Telos was addressing everyone and using series or events titles to describe them for us (Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, "Kingdoms that will never come..."), I couldn't help but cringe a little. It's good to let readers know that these worlds will be included but if sounded a little weird in the big speech.

The reason for the different worlds to fight each other felt a little lacking. It could move the story in interesting directions but also feels a little sudden. It was almost like, "Okay, everyone fight each other now!"

The Verdict

We may have had a zero issue last week but this is where Convergence really begins. If you're wondering what the story is about and why different versions of DC characters will be fighting each other for the next two months, this is where you find out why. There are some familiar faces as some EARTH 2 survivors take the spotlight against Telos, the being behind all of this. There might be too much of a focus on the EARTH 2 characters and the decision for everyone to fight each other might feel a little sudden. There is a sense of curiosity to see what transpires next.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I don't understand how the tie-ins for this series are all pretty good but the main book is so mediocre. Hopefully it'll get better when Lobdell's off. Isn't he off from #2 or did I read something wrong?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Why is the dialogue so bad?

Why is the story so boring?

Why are we telling the same story for two whole issues?

@saren said:

I don't understand how the tie-ins for this series are all pretty good but the main book is so mediocre. Hopefully it'll get better when Lobdell's off. Isn't he off from #2 or did I read something wrong?

Oh that's why!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Lobdell...curse him.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@squalleon: I think the terrible central cast may also play a part since the Earth-2 characters have been well and truly ruined by the World's End writing team, but I'm sure Lobdell was a part of it as well.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man event filler months Sound boring

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good book, but the tie ins are great.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@squalleon: I think the terrible central cast may also play a part since the Earth-2 characters have been well and truly ruined by the World's End writing team, but I'm sure Lobdell was a part of it as well.

To be honest my main gripe was with the dialogue(certainly Lobdell :P) and repetitive storytelling. This issue didn't have a reason to exist since issue 0 answered all the same questions or vice-versa. If issue 0 didn't existed I could see how this is a first issue but this was wasted money with a cast I don't care for.

Good to now the tie-ins are good though. I may pick up the best after Convergence ends.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it Injustice world...?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: superman , nightwing and speed force are the best tie ends

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: superman , nightwing and speed force are the best tie ends

I will have to wait for the rest of the month and then for the second issues to decide. Since I don't know in what format or how DC will release the tie-ins and I am not willing to pay a lot for them.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was left a little underwhelmed by the first issue after all the hype but am feeling positive that if will pick up.

Just finished reading the oracke/nightwing and Batgirl book and really enjoyed them.

Hoping I see a lot of coverage on these on comic vine over the next two months

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least the art was good

RedHush1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I liked the story but didn't like the dialogue if it makes sense. But I feel once he's off it'll be all good. I really like the series plot but I gotta give it a issue or two more to have a definite opinion

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well it's a good thing I couldn't get to the store today. Nice covers though.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, the Comic Vine 1 :P

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does DC still have Lobdell?

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how this series is going to work out, the writer Jeff King has never written a comic book in his life.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had way more fun reading the tie in stories as expected. Also what happened to the Injustice world?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't read any this issue yet nor any of the tie in issues i bought today, but i really do look forward to reading them.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked it. Cool cover too

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

I had way more fun reading the tie in stories as expected. Also what happened to the Injustice world?

Brainiac stole Gotham from Injustice... well, at least some version of it. Telos, angry after absense of hos master, crushed it. Literally.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So at least we know what happens to the Injustice world after the game ended.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just can't wait for Thomas Wayne Batman vs Bruce Batman.

@handofprometheus: "Why does DC still have Lobdell?"

He was nominated for the Comic Buyers Guide award for favorite writer in 1997.

No Caption Provided

*Sigh*

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually quite enjoyed this, it was better than #0 anyway...

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was pretty awful, although better than issue 0 but that's not saying much. Although I do admit I really wasn't expecting much.

@holyserpent_Totally agree. Superman was really good. nice seeing pre new 52 Supes and especially Clark back with Lois.

Nightwing /Oracle was also very good, great artwork and good villains with the flashpoint Hawks.

But the biggest one for me was Speed Force. Just having a comic with the REAL Wally was awesome. Story was a bit depressing showing the place and circumstances Wally finds himself in but him standing up to it and pushing through it made me cheer and reminds me what a strong character Wally is.

Picked up two copies for myself to do my part and hopefully enough people do that and they bring back one of their greatest characters and this is not the last we see of Wally.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this comic so far. Brainiac is awesome.

ShadowHuntR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the tie-ins... so confusing.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So will this be the plot of the new Injustice game? ;-)

deathmedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdanman: The next Injustice game should be convergence. it would be awesome... Given the story is about as deep as a fighting games average story line... I just wasn't able to buy into the worlds fighting. all the power and intelligence of the hero's would surly be able to overcome a sentient planet.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Where Convergence 0 was a much cleaner story and clearer story (although not really moving the conflict forward other than introducing Telos), #1 was a complete and utter mess.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how exactly Darkseid will fit in all of this. He's supposed to exist between the multiverses (only one version of him) so wouldn't that mean that Convergence won't affect him nor Apokolips?

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this issue was awesome,was pretty random what happened to the injustice people but really excited to whats to come and the art is freakin great!

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Is this comic book worth it? Cause if it is, I'm getting it.

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sternfan99

Wake me when DC flushes this turd...

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Convergence is off to a great start, I loved this issue. It was way better than #0. The art is fantastic and the 2 layouts are really great! Seeing the Injustice and Earth 2 characters was fun. I'm not sure if they're going to face off but I hope they do.

I didn't get why "using series or events titles to describe them for us (Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint, "Kingdoms that will never come..."), I couldn't help but cringe a little. It's good to let readers know that these worlds will be included but if sounded a little weird in the big speech." I honestly thought it was a fun and clever shout-out to those series. I'm having fun with this event!

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Wait, Lobdell wrote this?! No wonder. I guess my sixth sense was right about not bothering with this comic book.

arqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdanman: The next Injustice game should be convergence. it would be awesome... Given the story is about as deep as a fighting games average story line... I just wasn't able to buy into the worlds fighting. all the power and intelligence of the hero's would surly be able to overcome a sentient planet.

THIS !!

I was wondering what are they going to do with new Injustice game since they already said they will be making a sequel so Convergence would be a beast and best fighting game ever.

arqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is going to be Injustice vs. Earth 2 , we all know Earth 2 will win because they will release a new series called Earth - 2 : Society.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was pretty awful, although better than issue 0 but that's not saying much. Although I do admit I really wasn't expecting much.

@holyserpent_Totally agree. Superman was really good. nice seeing pre new 52 Supes and especially Clark back with Lois.

Nightwing /Oracle was also very good, great artwork and good villains with the flashpoint Hawks.

But the biggest one for me was Speed Force. Just having a comic with the REAL Wally was awesome. Story was a bit depressing showing the place and circumstances Wally finds himself in but him standing up to it and pushing through it made me cheer and reminds me what a strong character Wally is.

Picked up two copies for myself to do my part and hopefully enough people do that and they bring back one of their greatest characters and this is not the last we see of Wally.

TESTIFY!!

No Caption Provided

Bring back Wally West!! I love Barry, but Wally will always be MY Flash. Then if Marvel follows suit with Richard Rider Nova, I'd be a very happy camper! (Two of my favorite characters from the Big 2 that I really identify with..Not holding my breath on either account though...) I hope Convergence does make it possible to bring back a lot of characters whose forced absence or alteration by Flashpoint & the New 52 alienated me from DC. (Like the pre-New 52 JSA, esp. Jay, Alan & Ted.)

I also want to see classic, Golden Age Alan Scott kick New 52 Earth 2 Alan Scott's butt, just for general principle. Classic, pre-New 52 Alan rules!

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lets wait and see but so far I was very underwhelmed

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope earth 2 dies

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else think that DC 1 Million is going to stomp all these other earths into Oblivion. Hourman 1 Million alone could solo any one of these earths. Then you also have Kal Kent and the others to back him up.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed this issue. Great start to the series. Telos has an epic feel to him. Some awesome visuals at the end with him speaking to all the cities about what they must do. There is so much potential here. I can see why some were a little disappointed since this was so similar to the 0 issue, but I really enjoyed it. Really looking forward to this series.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: You got it. time for us fans to put our money where our mouth is. All the characters that we've been missing and begging DC for can hopefully come back if we go out there and pick up these issues with our favorite characters and encourage all else to do the same.

Because at the end of the day DC comics is a business and they are there to make money. I know Dan Dildo is hard headed and thinks that DC publishes comics for him and Jim Lee personally rather than for the fans, and its taken him this long to admit new 52 wasn't the rousing success they wanted it to be. But eventually money talks as we see with their plans in June.

BTW week four has Convergence JSA so you could get the real Justice Society there. And yes I would definitely pick up that comic where real Alan Scott kicks new 52 Alan Scott's ass. lol.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive:

Amen brother! We really to do our part to make sure these changes happen, that these iconic, beloved characters can come back, & I always encourage fellow fans to do the same. I can't tell you how many petitions I've signed over the years since Flashpoint to bring Wally, the REAL WALLY, back. Many on here see me as a pro-Marvel guy, but there are many DC characters I love- I LOVE the Flash, have since I was a kid- I liked them all- Barry, Wally, Jay, even Bart- but Wally was & is MY Flash, & still is to a lot of people. Convergence, I hope, shows that the fanbase is there for these characters, & makes it possible for there universes to exist- why can't there continue to be a universe where Wally is Flash, with Jay, Bart & Max? Or the JSA from the Johns era? It's possible, they just have to listen to the fans & as you said, we can do our part.

Recently, both DC & Marvel have been altering things without thinking of the fans- the fans that matter, your loyal fanbase, not "fair-weather" or casual readers. That business model needs to change with both companies. It is a start that Didio & Lee & admitting that the New 52 isn't the roaring success they wanted, hopefully that leads to positive change for fans like ourselves.

I'm going to have to pick that Convergence JSA title up- I miss those guys, the great legacy they bring, & the family aspect. And if they had classic Alan kick New 52 Alan's ass, it'd make my millennium. lol

No Caption Provided

'Nuff said! lol

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Decent issue, intrigued on what's going to happen next

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read issue #0 and #1 plus most of the tie-ins. It seems to me that each of the tie-ins are following the exact same plot and story-telling layout. We get an explanation that the headline characters have been in this pre-Flashpoint Gotham City (tell me why, again, was Superman/Lois Lane and The Flash in Gotham to begin with - - both seemed forced to me) for about a year. Everyone that had powers lost them (except the Atom had some strange growing hand power, why?) and things seemed more or less okay in the city. Then the big Telos announcement and heroes and/or villains started to fight each other.

This is not to say I didn't enjoy some of the tie-ins, because I did. It just seemed the plots were exactly the same and I really didn't need to buy or read them all to get the gist of the story. I personally have not minded the new52 universe that much, but am happy to see some pre-Flashpoint characters revisited. Does anyone know how DC sales were before Flashpoint as compared to recent months? I think new52 should have been akin to Marvel's Ultimate line (you know, when it was actually good) or an Earth 2 type situation and the "regular" DC should have stayed around all along.