Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Here we go!

If you read Superman: Doomed, you might be wondering what happened at the end. Now we have an idea what that last page meant. Convergence kicks off with Superman, our current New 52 version of Superman, finding himself facing a Brainiac unlike anything he's ever seen. This is where things start to get a little freaky. It turns out this is a massive version of Brainiac outside time and space. We are treated to seeing the past different versions of Brainiac and how they are all part of him. He explains to Superman his importance as he shows him the different moments he's died in other worlds. When Brainiac's explanation over having different worlds and his plans to visit his world, Superman knows he has to do something about it. This puts him up against even more Brainiacs.

Dan Jurgens and Jeff Kings' weave an interesting tale. It's a good set up in driving home the point of what the Convergence issues will be about. You can't help but be intrigued. Seeing hints and glimpses at the past versions amps up some excitement you might not have even realized you had inside.

Ethan Van Sciver's art and Marcelo Maiolo's colors are like a loving smack in the face. Everything looks so crisp and detailed. You'll find yourself stopping and staring at each page. The scenes were we catch glimpses of other versions are like a magnet for your eyes. You can't help but really try to take a close look to take in all the details.

The Bad

You have to keep in mind this is a zero issue. It's not a complete story and it's not supposed to be. It's meant to set up the overall idea and story. We have some great moments but some feel like just a way showcase our hunger for nostalgia. We had some really cool looking pages just to lead to the big set up and reveal on the final page.

This issue was 30-pages along with an eleven-page "Who's Who in CONVERGENCE?" but how will readers feel about an eight-part weekly series at $4.99 an issue?

EDIT: Not all issues are $4.99. Some will be $3.99.

The Verdict

CONVERGENCE has begun. Get ready to fasten your seat belts as Dan Jurgens, Jeff King, and Ethan Van Sciver prepare to take us (and Superman) on a crazy journey, unlocking the secrets behind Convergence while setting up the direction of the event. The idea becomes more and more interesting as you hear this ultimate version of Brainiac explain what's going on. Ethan Van Sciver's art and Marcelo Maiolo's colors crank up the excitement as we start to think about the possibilities this series could unleash. As a zero issue, it is a bit of a set up one but that's to be expected. Hopefully things will be cranked up even further in the following issues. If you're looking for a taste of what to expect in Convergence, this issue gives you one that will make you feel a little warm inside.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just read this and found myself wanting. I'd give it a 3 at best.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 for me. awesome issue. cant wait till next week

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Its a bit expensive. If i have money left then i'll go for it.

yankeefan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like only the zero issue, #1, and #8 are the only ones at $5. The rest are at $4.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a panel where Supes gets electrocuted and the proportions get pretty amateurish. Especially the head.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What do I need to know going into this? Can someone just run down the basics?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I like the the big power up they have giver Brainiac

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@tattacus: Some of the basics are here:

Otherwise, try buying the issue?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MuyJingo

5 stars from me.

It's a zero issue, not a first issue, so I won't criticize it for being a setup issue as that would be criticizing it simply for being what it is.

The art is beautiful, the writing is excellent and on point and it accomplishes perfectly the thing it was designed to do..introduce the event and lead into issue 1.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dark_Stranger

@tattacus said:

Superman is the most important character.

Superman will get wanking left an right.

Superman will save the day.

Superman is the only one who will be written as being capable to save the day.

lol

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pass, you can't buy everything.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tattacus said:

Superman is the most important character.

Superman will get wanking left an right.

Superman will save the day.

Superman is the only one who will be written as being capable to save the day.

lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

I can't get this until Friday :(

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Thanks, Tony. I completely forgot all about that video. I already bought the issue, just have to wait until Saturday when it gets delivered.

@dark_stranger Lol.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one thing I'm confused about...

is this the same brainiac we saw in futures end?

and if so how big a threat is he, getting defeated by one punch from superman and shrunk down by the atom?

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$5 is pretty steep for an event I'm Luke warm on. Still if I hear good things I might end up picking this up.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

Really liked it.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By MrMazz

Well this was a rather nice trip through dream logic as a means of explaining the DC Mulitverse and setting things up. Some interesting art by Ethan Van Skiver, but definatly not worth the price of admission.

Cheap Plug To User Review

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthDanMan

@bobthened said:

one thing I'm confused about...

is this the same brainiac we saw in futures end?

and if so how big a threat is he, getting defeated by one punch from superman and shrunk down by the atom?

The way he disapears seems to point in that direction, but he comes into the main Earth five years later than he was supposed to?

TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Felt rather average. And nothing to keep intrested for future episodes.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never thought I'd say this but I'm excited for the tie ins more than the main story

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be a great event! I am so amped for this.

On a side note, why are there so many Gotham City's! Jesus.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By Teerack

This event might suffer from the same stigma AXIS had at marvel where they advertised it way to much and everyone got over hyped for what it really was. It was good but I was expecting something more.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not just that it took 30 PAGES to tell what Dan Dildo already told us in a paragraph six months ago and have been told over and over again but they are charging us five bucks for this. Thanks a lot.

Terrible terrible comic.

This gets maybe 2/5 stars for me and thats just because Van Scivers art was awesome..

BigAl_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3: I thought so too, not to mention that Pre-Crisis Earth 2 Gotham is part of the event too, from a tie-in solicit w/that world's Huntress & Robin.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like it, it left me wanting to find out what is going to happen next. I really liked seeing all those different Brainic's... Brought a nostalgic smile to my face!

BigAl_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool if we got to see other-media versions of/characters appear too: "Smallville" Clark, Burton-series Batman or whoever, heck even Nuclear Man from Superman IV.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KASPERCOLE

When I went to the LCS today, I was teetering between buying this and not simply because I have been burned in the past by several Big 2 events (Secret Invasion and Age of Ultron, I'm staring dead center at you!). This is how I made my decision. The initial big bad is Brainiac. Been there done that, kind of tired of him. Strike One! I followed all three weeklies to the end. World's End was by far the weakest. The solicits sound like Convergence revolves around the Batman/Superman analog heroes and an underdeveloped Alan Scott from World's End. Boring and Strike Two! This first issue involves too many versions of Superman and Brainiac to count. I'm tired of Supes being the only one who can save the day and he seems to be the primary focus and probably will be towards the end. Strike Three! I am not buying this book or any other Covergence main book. The jury is still out on the two part side stories.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a good start..

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Convergence #0 did a decent enough job of setting up Convergence but as someone who did not read Doomed, I found myself a bit confused by some of the references in the beginning. Still, I get the overall point. I actually disagree about the Van Sciver art. In some spots it looked really wonky and out of proportion. Some panels and pages looked gorgeous but it was a bit too inconsistent for me to fully put that in the positive. As you said in the review, this is a zero issue and is entirely meant to set up the premise but I can't help but feel like there was still not enough story. All of the dialogue was there for exposition and at times Superman felt like he was there to act as a sounding board for the audience that wants to understand what's going on rather than an actual character reacting to the situation around him. My favorite moments were seeing the Brainiac that I grew up with in the cartoon as well as seeing all the different Superman deaths. My final verdict on this would be 3 stars but I'm invested enough in finding out what happens to my beloved DCU that I'll be sticking with this.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want DC to write good stories again. Not all these "events" that will only last a couple years before the next event that will reboot/reset the current storylines.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack:

not a chance in hell that is going to happen. In one 0 issue, this already is more interesting than the enitre axis event.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbyrstall: This is only the second event since the New 52 began in 2011. Compared to how many Marvel has (about 2 per year), that's a pretty small number. Plus, DC has said that post-Convergence they will be focusing on telling stories within the titles and keeping the events low. Which is actually a somewhat risky move in the current event-driven market. The two things that always dominate the sales charts are events and number 1s and DC hasn't been relaunching all of their books annually and are less event driven. Which may contribute to the giant gap between Marvel and DC right now in market share.

Malicron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ethan Van Sciver!!!!!! All in gentlemen :D

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By johnqestion

Art looks great but this does not come across as a great story or something defining. Just a big fan wank for some of the testy, angry older fans to feel good about what they use to read. Essentially some of the characters they will probably kill will be more interesting and had more impact on the DCU that some of the vanilla ones they want to save or give a "happy" ending. That kinda sucks in a way. I really hope this kind of Countdown arena style gimmick is not going to taint the new verse. That would be a huge mistake. Because they will get some sales due to it being tied into a big event but end of the day once that novelty is over many of these versions can't sustain sales for that long. The future DCU should never be built on nostalgia but fresh ideas.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really enjoyed this issue and has me pretty excited for the event itself.Was pretty cool to see those different version and like Futures End issue #0 this has got my attention and i'm diving right in for a fun ride :)

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was really amped to read this. I was hoping for the story to move forward a little more than it did but I know it's a 0 issue. It was cool to finally learn some more about Telos, who he is and why he lowered the domes. Also why Brainiac disappeared. So lots of good info. I have a feeling Convergence is going to be awesome. Can't wait for next weeks no 1 issue.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: That could be enough for me to want to get back into comics.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbyrstall: I agree that this proposed new direction for DC is a good thing. I'm just worried that it won't result in a sustained increase in sales. How long can Marvel dominate the market share before DC starts to emulate their strategies? I don't know but I certainly hope DC sticks to their guns on that.

Also, you don't read comics right now, but you were making negative comments about current comics? Don't you think maybe you should be a little more well informed before making negative remarks about something like that? I don't mean to be rude but your comment about DC doing too many events was certainly made out of ignorance.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@starbrand1: Well.... if you understood the point of what I was saying and have read the comments here and on other sites like CBR the majority opinion is that it was good but disappointing so far it's true. It could be better later on but that's never really how events seem to play out.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well the writing was pretty bad. Superman acted rather dumb to my taste. The eternal problem of superheroes thinking that punching things without asking questions will reslove every problem is also present. The art was magnificent and at least they set up the plot of the series in a mostly understandable and not confusing way.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Seat belt is buckled! I'm ready!

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So as I'm understanding #0, Brainiac is some form of Galactus/Living Tribunal/Eternal force?