Interview: Frank Tieri and Vicente Cifuentes Discuss CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Convergence is quickly upon us and on April 8th, we'll get to see the first week of books. One of those books will be JUSTICE LEAGUE by Frank Tieri and Vicente Cifuentes. It will feature pre-Flashpoint characters taking on the Flashpoint version of Aquaman. Tieri and Cifuentes answered a few of our questions about the book.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What can we expect from this issue?

FRANK TIERI: A lot of stage setting. A lot that’s leading up to our big dukeroo between the JLA and FLASHPOINT AQUAMAN in issue 2. For one thing, with this actually being a Gotham Vs Gotham battle, we learn how both sides ended up getting trapped in their respective Gothams. In the case of the JLAers, they happen to be there for Jesse Quick’s surprise baby shower. In FPA’s case… well, let’s just say he had a far less wholesome reason.

VICENTE CIFUENTES: Action, great moments and some thrills. From my part I have tried to make some spectacular visuals to keep the eyes of the readers on the issue at all times.

CV: Who is on this Justice League team?

No Caption Provided

FT:Zatanna, Jesse Quick, Supergirl, Vixen, Jade and Mera. So yeah, kids, you're seeing that right... it's an all female team.

Now, credit where credit is due... this was completely Dan Didio's idea. He hit us (us being me and editors Marie Javins and Brittany Holzherr ) with the idea one day when we were looking for an angle to give the book and we all sort of looked at each other like “Well, duh. Why didn’t we think of that before?” So yeah, it really fit perfectly.

CV: Flashpoint Aquaman is appearing here. What do you two find appealing about the character?

FT: That he's batshit crazy. Because honestly, that aspect of him was very fun to play with. I mean… he’s essentially Single White Female with gills in our book . He sees Mera when the fight is announced, and he has to have her. He doesn’t give a crap that she isn’t his Mera. It’s good enough for him. And really, it’s his actions towards her that are what really drive everything going forward in our story. Dude’s super creepy.

Which brings me to my next point… and that’s that while people like to bash Aquaman and all that, the guy actually makes a damn good villain. I wouldn’t have thought it myself, but eeeevil Aquaman is totally badass. In fact, I would totally write that book in a heartbeat. Aquaman routinely fighting the JLA, attacking the surface world, providing people with sub-par sushi, etc.

Let’s make it happen, DC

VC: Here I have to congratulate Frank, although I have had the opportunity to work with this character on Flashpoint too, on this issues we can see his strong attitude and haughty as he has to be. He seems to have one “winner-card” hidden.

CV: What excites you about this upcoming book?

FT: Writing JLA. And having it be an all female team.

Interiors by Cifuentes
Interiors by Cifuentes

The JLA thing… well, there are only so many “checklist” characters and books you have in this industry. And JLA is definitely one of them. They’re one of the books you’d like to go back in time and tell your 12 year old self that you’ll be writing one day. (Although, in my case, I think 12 year old me might actually be more impressed that I’ve avoided significant jail time up to this point)

As for the all-female aspect…hey, let’s be honest. I don’t think with me being the gruff Brooklyn guy that I am that I would be the first to come to mind to write a book from the female perspective, ya know? But that’s exactly why I want to do it. At this point in my career, I know what I’m largely known for and that’s writing “tough guys” and villains. So I’m really playing against type here which was both fun and challenging… but I think we totally pulled it off. With much thanks to Marie and Brittany for that.

VC: I can´t wait to see it on the shelves and know the feedback of the readers. I think people will enjoy reading it.

CV: Who would be your ideal Justice League team? You can pick from any universe and mix them up.

FT: ANY universe? Ok...

Darth Vader, Godzilla, Derek Jeter, Linda Carter Wonder Woman, Hannibal Lecter and Joe Pesci from Goodfellas

DC Universe? I’m a sucker for the classic team. Supes, WW, Bats and then mix in guys like GL, GA, Flash, Martian Manhunter, etc. When you start throwing in guys like Vibe, you lose me.

Note to DC: So no, I’m not the guy to write your next Vibe project. But let’s talk about that Evil Aquaman thing, ok?

VC: I will keep this team, and I would like to pick Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn—I always love the quirkiness of these characters and their charms.

Thanks to Frank Tieri and Vicente Cifuentes for answering our questions and make sure to check out this book when it hits stores on April 8th!

Cared13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The best thing that will come out of Convergence is to see again the pre-new 52 Zatanna outfit, nothing else to me. Just have an end to most of the story lines of the pre-new 52 universe, like what marvel will do with the Ultimate universe (the best!) and I'm good with it.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am preparing for a lot of writer spite against pre 52 long term fans

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Aquaman as the villain. Sounds interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Aquaman as the villain. Sounds interesting.

Indeed.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Zearing

The thing with Aquaman and Mera sounds interesting.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

yay jade! yay vixen! yay all female JL!

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NukeA6

@senglord said:

I think most of the writers have more spite against the editorials who had made DC a dictatorship. Didio and his cohorts are really the ones who are gonna cause any backlash to the long-term fans like what happened with Cassandra Cain.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6: True. I keep thinking that DC is like Marvel. Marvel is controlling, but nowhere near as prone to micromanagement of their talent.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Having not read a lot of Vibe appearances, I think Justice League Detroit could have been saved if Gerry Conway didn't stoop to all the usual stereotype angles or trends with his characterization.

hotroddii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Presumably) straight males shouldn't be allowed to draw women in casual clothes ... they have NO idea. All boobs and weird, slutty cuts of fabric.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to figure out how Mera can swim more than 10 feet deep with those two buoy's she's carrying around.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A Justice League with Darth Vader in it? I would definitely buy that! I'm excited for this book though. Evil Aquaman!!

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MERA MERA MERA

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so down for Mera vs Flashpoint Aquaman.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cared13: After this she's going to be wearing that outfit in JLD (or Dark Universe as it's going to be called).

@nukea6 said:

@senglord said:

I think most of the writers have more spite against the editorials who had made DC a dictatorship. Didio and his cohorts are really the ones who are gonna cause any backlash to the long-term fans like what happened with Cassandra Cain.

1. DC is not a dictatorship, it's a company. A company that's co-run by Jim Lee.

2. Nothing has happened to Cassandra Cain, she still hasn't appeared and it's clear DC hasn't forgotten her so she could still come back.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mera is awesome! I'm glad to see her a part of the Justice League in some universe. It'll also be nice to see Jesse Quick and pre-Flashpoint Supergirl again.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cared13: After this she's going to be wearing that outfit in JLD (or Dark Universe as it's going to be called).

@nukea6 said:

@senglord said:

1. DC is not a dictatorship, it's a company. A company that's co-run by Jim Lee.

2. Nothing has happened to Cassandra Cain, she still hasn't appeared and it's clear DC hasn't forgotten her so she could still come back.

1. You have to be really stupid if you think I meant that literally. I'm simply saying that DC has given writers less creative freedom and has made a few leave the company (i.e. J.H. Williams after Batwoman not allowed to marry).

2. Cassandra Cain was turned into a villain for no good reason as an attempt to kill her off. Eventually she was replaced by Stephanie Brown and then swept under the rug shortly after. Didio has even admitted to hating her because she's not Barbara. One of the writers for Birds of Prey even made a Talon version of Cass as a little F-U to Didio. Cassandra did sneak into a Future's End issue thanks to Simone who actually does like the character and even had plans for her before Flashpoint came about.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

love the team. they should have an all female justice league with these members. zatanna as the leader!!!!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6: The New 52 has allowed writers a lot of creative freedom (sometimes too much).

It's clear DC did that to show they know she still has fans, same with convergence. Donna comae back, Stephanie came back, the Doom Patrol came back, in time so will Cassandra.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6: Do not forget that Tim was the project of huge groupthink, like Jason Todd.

Cassandra Cain was intended to become a villain, but was too popular with the comic base. the Batgirl comic outsold the Robin comic and had female readership.

The problem with her character was that there would be almost no way to get the character into multimedia. It does not matter to comic book fans and genre culture, but she could never be swiftly made mainstream. Tim Drake could just be shoehorned into a Robin suit on the animated series as a composite. Cass could only become Batgirl if Barbara stoppped.

Either DC could integrate the Killing Joke into a cartoon...

Or, they could just have her retire with the use of her legs...

If the Joker faced some justice, Barbara could be retired in cartoon Canon without giving the finger to half the human race. But, what other memorable villains does Batman have? He would need a dynamic, varied, and robust rogues gallery that had numerous fan bases...

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Seeing Supergirl in this makes me wonder, have any Convergence series with Linda Danvers in them been announced?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I don't think I'll fully understand the convergence storyline until it's done.

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, such a great, never seen before idea ... an all-female team ... Dan Didio's unique idea. Just about a year or more after Marvel started an all-female X-Men book.

Totally innovative, Mr. Didio!

Its a never ending story: DC and Marvel copying each other over and over again ... not realizing that both getting less and less interesting overall (while of course still having single books that are good).