• 55 results
Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio
As part of the DC 75th Anniversary Celebration, Warner Bros. has made The Dark Knight available for download on: 
To further help celebrate this, there is a contest in which the winner will be able to keep the Joker on his/her mind...or at least on their head. What do you have to do? What can you win?
 == TEASER ==
This contest is only open to U.S. residents (sorry) and ends Monday, June 28, 2010 at midnight PT. To qualify to win, you must post a five sentence or less response as to why The Dark Knight was a good movie. A winner will be selected at random and receive the following:

The Joker "Jokes On You" hat is also available at the WB store (along with other items) if you are not the winner. Please only post entries for the contest. Please do not comment on others' posts

Don't forget you can now download the movie at the links above if it's been a while since you've watched. Also, here is a little clip to remind you of the action contained.

Staff
#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the same hat at a Kmart

#2 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

How come it's not available to users outside U.S? is it a postage thing?

#3 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

Warner Bros. is providing and dealing with the prize. It's a legal thing. My apologies for this restriction.

Now let's have some actual responses/entries!!

Staff
#4 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2089 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason the Dark knight was a good movie is because it has two polar opposite characters. Joker is bent on only giving chaos and destruction to Gotham City. He doesn't need henchman or fancy gadgets to do his job. Batman is the exact opposite. Batman wants to protect his city from criminals who would try to destroy it. Batman doesn't wish his life on anyone else. 

#5 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the contest on this page or do we have to go to a WB page and comment. If so, what is the link?

#6 Posted by luckynitro007 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight wa a good movies because it had good acting.  Another reason was that the joker made a pencil dissapper. HA classic. Even if Two-Face looked like Jonah Hex they still did a great job on Big Bad Harv.  It was nice that they showed Barbra and more on Joe Chill. The fight secne with the joker at the end was awesome. Overall it was a great movie.
#7 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9090 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason the Dark Knight was great is because it was not like any other movie. It was not just for fans of batman it was for everybody. It was Dark and really explained the origins of the Joker which is a really hard thing to explain. It is really hard to look into the mind of  psychotic mad man. This is the reason the Dark Knight was a great movie and made as much money that it did. 

#8 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight took the Joker to the next level and showed the world the kind of villain he really could be. Dark Knight also gave us a great Two-Face and showed us that even great men can fall when pushed hard enough. The movie showed Batman's willingness to sacrifice himself for his city, showed his love for Gotham and it's people. Joker, Two-Face, Batman; all believed themselves to be right, and really, who isn't the hero of their own story?

#9 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is a good movie because it completely changed the notion that comic book movies couldn't be written as being realistic. Christopher Nolan understands that Batman is not just about the Batmobile, Rogues Gallery and a quest for redemption. Batman is about the character and the hardships he endures trying to bring peace and justice to a city that is beyond saving. Batman, like any other human, does let his emotions control his actions at certain points during the film, such as when he pummels the Joker for answers in the interrogation room. Batman is human and does make mistakes, but in the end, he proved that he is more than just a hero, he is "a Silent Guardian, a Watchful Protector, a Dark Knight."

#10 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
The Dark Knight, unlike most sequels, logically built itself off of the accomplishments of the first film in the franchise without getting bogged down with referencing it (no bulky mention or flashbacks to Bruce's parents, Ra's al Ghul, etc.) It allowed the characters to organically move forward from the preliminary psychological deconstruction that was Batman Begins, and with all such introductions out of the way, the characters were simply allowed to go about their lives in a diegetically honest way. That is, if it were not for the Joker; a physical embodiment of chaos in the way that Crane was the physical embodiment of fear. While flashbacks and the theme of fear allowed Batman Begins to extensively explore the deeply hidden and constrained psyche of our main characters, The Dark Knight's use of chaos demonstrated how those psyches respond when not being evaluated inside a vacuum, and when truly tested as society's collective id was allowed to run rampant (or silently ride in the back of a squad car panting out of the window, enjoying the sublimity of getting his way for that matter.)  

Pure id, a man's best friend.
#11 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

It was great because the internet told me it was.  But seriously it was great for the reasons everyone has listed above.  I am just sad that it wasn't Katie Holmes that got blown up.  

#12 Posted by Captain13 (3335 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is a good movie because it nails the psychological and philosophical elements of the Batman characters, while remaining true to the source material. This is made especially clear in the similarities and differences between Batman and the Joker. Both men will not compromise whatsoever, but while Batman chooses to affirm life and innocence, the Joker doesn't believe that life and innocence have any real meaning. In the mind of the Joker, the presence of random injustice means there is no justice, so our lives and Batman's mission are a joke. The joker isn't just threatening Batman physically, emotionally, or intellectually, he's also threatening the premise of Batman's existence, and ultimately it's an unresolvable philosophical conflict that's played out in epic, physical fights and challenges.

#13 Posted by meancheez (4 posts) - - Show Bio
The Dark Knight is great because the Joker provides a perfect showcase to display how fragile human society really is. When he announces to the city that he'll blow up a hospital unless someone kills Coleman Reese, he creates a liminal space in which the morally right thing to do actually involves breaking the laws of society. By placing that threat in front of people, he also reveals the similarities between he and Batman. They both function in their roles by manipulating and taking advantage of fear -- just two sides to the same coin.
#14 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefered Batman and Robin.

#15 Posted by blaakmawf (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok. I'll start the rumor right now. The hat is hinting at an extreme marketing angle that was taken in the promotion of the dark knight, namely: the faking of Heath Leger's death. The joke is indeed on us.

#16 Posted by spiderpigbart (2651 posts) - - Show Bio

The film was great for the simple reason that it made Batman real.  It took the comic character and turned him into something that is living and breathing.   And it actually did it well, with the villains as well.

#17 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knoght was an great movie because there were excellent portrayals of the villains. The Joker was able to be frightening, insane, organized, and bring comic releif at the same time. Harvey Dent was showed to be a valuable asset to Batman before he becomes Two-Face, like he is in the comics; and even when he is Two-Face, he's not completely crazy. His split personalities weren't over used or made the focus of his character. You could see how the characters thought and interacted with others, which made the movie more realistic and interesting.
#18 Posted by NightFang (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

Need this hat!

#19 Posted by BenjaminSussman (3 posts) - - Show Bio

This film perfectly captured the noble hero, the one who tries to do good even if he must darken his soul in order to save his city from corruption, and his antithesis, a madman who favors chaos over control, fear over order. The cinematic score and the filming techniques helped accentuate the transition from comic book to movie. Its not often that we see an actor who greatly redefines the role that is supposed to be channeled/imitated from source material. Heath Ledger achieves this in all his glory, creating a new type of Joker, whom we all can enjoy.

#20 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was a good movie because it got Batman right.  He wasn't invincible, he was vulnerable.  It also got the Joker right; he's a homicidal maniac.  But it really worked because of the conflict.  Batman is the good guy protecting Gotham, but how bad does he have to be to keep Gotham safe?

#21 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I live in Canada.

Damn it.

#22 Posted by mbembet (219 posts) - - Show Bio

i love TDK it was one of the greatest film ever made but Batman Begins was the best Batman movies ever made

#23 Posted by UnclePappyWolf (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Why was the Dark Knight a Good Movie...in One Word "Passion". Everyone involved in this movie treated the film and the subject matter with a respectful zeal. From Nolan's need to make the world Batman a beleivable place, to the writers whose love for the character clearly shows, to Bale's physical intensity to embody  Bruce Wayne, to the Oscar winning Actors who could have easy phoned in a performance but gave the script the same respect as any other great Hollywood script  And who could forget Heath, who's went To dark places for a craft and for a role he truly loved. My answer to why I loved the Dark Knight is simple....it's for its " Passion".

#24 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was my first real connection to the DC movie franchise. This movie exceeded my anticipation and left me wanting a whole lot more. It is a deep dismay that Heath Ledger passed away and cannot perform as the Joker any more. He brought that character to an exciting new level that has never been done before. When I saw this movie the first time, I was terrified by the Joker.         I don't think that we actually had a famous quote derive from a movie in a long time. " Why so Serious?" I even love the way they did Harvey Dent. I thought he was an awesome character and he definitely needed a big role. These are all the reasons I love The Dark Knight!
#25 Posted by JD907 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally found the Dark Knight to be an excellent film due to it's political and moral implications. The Joker was portrayed as anarchism incarnate, and thus his every action has negative effects on all those who have grown accustomed    to any attempts at order. This is best illustrated with Harvey Dent, who represents the law and justice. Ultimately though, anarchy engulfs his life and the world around him so much that he must redefine himself in order to still exist in this world of chaos. Finally, Batman follows the law to some extent, but mainly follows his own simple code. When the Joker realizes this, he uses it to his advantage, knowing that he can force Batman in to situations where he can only find success in breaking that code. This is a win/win situation for the Joker, as his entire motive is to remove structure and rules. While Batman technically never breaks his code, he does have to make a minor compromise, knowing that it will have many negative effects on him, but will still serve the greater good.  
#26 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: gay
#27 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderguylll: 
Well spotted.
They do say we can spot our own :P
#28 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I hate u

#30 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderguylll: 
Can I buy you a drink? ;)
#31 Posted by Darknight87 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was great because it was deep and complex, yet helped you understand what made the characters who they are. It's very psychological in the sense of how Ledger portrayed the Joker and with the portrayal of Harvey Dent/Two Face.  The movie also represented the things that makes Batman who he is as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Batman as a hero, a billionaire and finally as a selfless individual that only comes around once in a great while.

#32 Posted by Outrager (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was more realistic in a way than most super hero movies which made it more fun to watch. This made it easy to relate to the characters. Sometimes the over the top action in other super hero movies just makes it seem like they strung together multiple trailers instead of making a movie you want to go back and watch again.

#33 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw England! I'm moving to America right fricking now!!

#34 Posted by Bullseye1930 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

It was an awesome film for one simple fact. It's given me an excuse to make Brokeback Batman jokes.
#35 Posted by d0npierre (399 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker has and never will be again portrayed with such excellence that it alone lifts the movie half way up to heaven...

#36 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Jokes on you! Heath Ledger is alive getting a tan in Hawaii enjoying his long vacations =D 

You imagine? Omg that be so awesome, a 3 year long lasting joke from the greatest Joker of all times =D 

I think people wouldn't get mad if that happened =D

RIP

#37 Posted by brucebanner (27 posts) - - Show Bio

the Dark knight was a good movie, bcuase it was greatly character driven and also had plenty of action. the conflict of Batman/Joker was a focus point of the movie as the movie was a batman move and Joker was the villain, and they have such an interesting dynamic. Joker was a homocidal maniac, but also a genius, planning for a possible capture with the cellphone bomb in the gut, sending those he wanted to confinue to"play" with away from harm and he was still the comics joker even if he wasnt a perm-white clown.  Batman was made fallible and human, with faults and self doubt. Harvey Dent as a character had a great arc completed in a single movie and you cared whenhe became the villain, you went "OH NO"!  which all tied together with other elements including great perfomances from the actors and equal direction from the director and of course the script to make a good movie.
#38 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio

It was great because the Joker wasn't just funny he was crazy, Batman had new gear, and we got to hear Morgan Freeman's voice again.

#39 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we make an entry about things we DIDN'T like about the movie? 
Cause I have several

#40 Posted by VZA (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the movie because it made the Joker a believable villain.  There was a definite method to his madness.  Unlike other comic book movies it focused on the psychology of the characters rather than how much destruction they're able to cause.  More comic book movies should take cues from this exceptional film.

#41 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, the core reason TDK was a masterpiece is because of the level of detail and thought infused into every second of footage. Personal Sacrifice, evolution, Detective skills, Combat, and technology all made deep and important grooves in this Batmans life in a way that was never quite shown correctly before.  A joker who plays with human folly instead if gags makes you think instead of laugh, and a good man broken into a monster tugs more on your sympathy than your normal spite towards villains.On top of that, the level of realism in everything from the gadgets to the city really draw you into the idea that Gotham city and its inhabitants/issues exist, and by default makes you care.
 TDK was a great movie becuase it brought us to the heart of its characters, and fused the source material and reality together so perfectly, you could believe that they were meant to be connected.

#42 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:
LMAO
#43 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't

#44 Posted by aZuLPiNoY (116 posts) - - Show Bio
 Thank you The Dark Knight! You've got hot girls like my friend  Jolene Lai dressing up like kinky Joker nurses on Halloween for years!

The Dark Knight is a 5 star movie because it moved away from the " Comics Code Authority approved" type of characters we've seen in the past, such as in the 1989 version of Batman with Jack Nicholson playing a comical Joker, and towards the darker side of comics -- perfect for the dark knight!  Not only were the characters developed, but the city was as well: the audience sees everything from Harvey Dent battling Salvatore Maroni and the criminal organizations, to a glimpse into the hearts and minds of Gotham's convicted criminals and its general public.  Christopher Nolan gives us what The Joker should have been the whole time before the censorship of comics: a truly deranged homicidal maniac who is totally unpredictable.  Batman seems to have regained his lost popularity over the years, and fans anxiously await the closing of the trilogy.  This movie has definitely raised the bar and set a new standard for all comic book movies to come!
#45 Posted by weenman1 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Recreating the Joker for modern audiences Nolan & Ledger achieve the impossible.   They make us forget prior versions by forging a character grounded in realism.  What is truly scary about the Clown Prince has nothing to do with making pencils vanish or the origin of his scars.  This Joker is horrifying because there's a message behind the madness.  He wears a mask because he knows it is the only way to take on a figure like Batman.  That doesn't sound crazy to me.  In fact it makes perfect sense.

#46 Posted by billyclubsblazing (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman The Dark Knight was one of the best movies because it had one of the best directors and some of the best actors playing some of the best characters Hollywood has ever seen. In my opinion Batman has finally been done justice by these people. And he deserved it. Applause. 

#47 Posted by PrinceSy (23 posts) - - Show Bio

It was great mainly cause I like how it captures the feel of the batman vs joker.  The inner madness of both of them driving them to do things no rational human would do. Also the fact of the matter is I love the actual feel of the camera work and the lighting making Gotham dark just like it appears to be in the better written batman comics. 

#48 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple... it proves that WB and DC can work together and not put out a shitty movie. I mean seriously, it is like two years after The Dark Knight and we get Jonah Hex? What have they learned? Absolutely  nothing! They have a ton of various characters to build some great branding and if they didn't have Christopher Nolan, what would they do? Pretend the Dark Knight or Batman Begins were never made. You then have to look at the next best movie WB has put out with a DC hero in so many years... Constantine? Superman Returns? CATWOMAN?!? So really, it shows that some how they can make a movie that is amazing. Period, not a Marvel Zombie talking either... just a fan of good movies. Jonah Hex.

#49 Posted by Chewie7787 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was an excellent movie and  even surpassed Batman Begins with its masterful storytelling ability to entrance the audience into the world of Gotham. Not only was Christian Bale a strongly convincing superhero but Heath Ledger offers the best villain portrayal on the silver screen as Joker. He shows incredible depth and madness of Joker proving that the Superhero movie genre can be depicted in a serious and realistic light. The beautiful introduction of Two-face also depicts the temptation and struggle all man faces with evil. The Dark Knight captures the excitement, passion and action of Batman to make any long time fan swoon.

#50 Posted by vaultboy (5 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is the best argument for practical effects I've ever seen. Had it been shot by most other directors, we would have been treated to temporarily cartoonish action figures fighting on rooftops, in helicopters, and on jetpacks. Only Nolan could have pulled off something this spectacular, while keeping it all completely grounded. I would argue that The Dark Knight is one of the best if not THE best action movie ever made.