gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

11/17-11/25

With the movie coming out soon, I decided to have a little Punisher Contest.

To win the Punisher Prize Package, you must write a blog with the theme "Is the Punisher a hero or villain."  The winner will be chosen somewhat on content.  That means you can't just say "I think he's a _____" and expect to win.  The prize will be 20 random comics plus some other goody I can find in my collection.

After you post your blog, make sure to link it here so I can locate them all.  Contest ends at the end of the day on November 25, 2008.

(Also let's try to keep other conversations out of this thread.  You should only post here with a link to your blog or a question.)
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Korg

Out of curiosity: Why pose a question as to whether he is a hero or villain when it's completely clear-cut that he's an antihero?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Martian
Agony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Agony
http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/trauma/the-punisher-hero-or-villain/87-37467/

The Punisher hero or villain?

For as long as I can can remember the Marvel superstar known as The Punisher has been called a anti hero. But, if you look at all he has done in his past and the present you will see the awnser clear about his actual alignment. Just look way back and tell me why did he become who he is today? His family was mudered without mercy. Now this man had been serving the country and his job was already protecting people. He didn't deserve what happened to him and his family. This is why he went into well a big depression and became The Punisher. So even before the punisher he was a hero. The way he fights and deals with crime is considered off base but, isn't that what the murderer would do to you or other people if not done to him first. The people he kills are muggers, rapists, serial killers ect.. All he is doing is getting to them before they get to anyone else. In the civil war he killed Goldbug without mercy. But, just think after the war that if he was still alive he would go straight back to crime. The punisher just took him out before it happened. Just look at all the people he has killed and you will see the majority of them are evil. Just look he killed Stilt man and just remember when he took out all of those villains in the bar in The Punisher War journal.

He has done more good then bad and when it comes down to it all of his good over powers his evil. He is the one who takes out the mobs and gangs that harm the innocent. It is an eye for an eye in this case and in my opinion he is a true hero.

Hero
Hero

here is traumas blog post

hope you like
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

Misunderstood Hero
Misunderstood Hero

I'm not much of a Punisher fan as I am of Spider-Man but since Spider-Man and Punisher ave busted heads with each other more than once I know that Punisher is more a hero than a villain.... Let me explain.

The first time most of us heard of the Punisher was in his first appereance on Amazing Spider-Man when the whole story is based aroud Frank Castle tryimg to kill Spidey. Of course he didn't kill him and after time and time again he tried to kill others. Now there is a very good recent story where the Punisher appears and no it's not "The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe". It's Civil War.

In the Civil War story arc Spider-Man is almost killed by his villains but surrvives because of the person who, when we first saw tried to kill him. The Punisher saved Spidey a guy who he tried to kill before. Anyways the reason was because he wanted to join the Secret Avengers.

We all know Frank Castle has been a huge fan and admirer of Captain America so why would a villain admire a hero. I think The Punisher is a hero who has made bad choices in his life, what hero doesn't.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/sora_thekey/punisher-hero-or-villain/87-37471/
Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Darkchild

Frank Castle is a man pushed to an tossed over the limit. And he has shown us that he can be the most ruthless an insensitive man the comic worlds been shown. An for a human his resilience to pain an overall punishment is phenomenal. But to the point for a man who has seen his share of hatred an horror he could have gone that route an taken upon his villainous thoughts an taken his pain out on the world. Killing all no matter if they were innocent or guilty, but he has a line he has drawn for himself an he has yet to cross it. Yes he may be the most violent human aside from Moon Knight, but Frank has been through more than any of us could have survived. An more than once came up on top above all else.

He is a hero

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/darkchild/punisher-a-man-with-a-villianous-intent/87-37476/

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Precise
caption
caption
I don’t believe The Punisher is a villain, it’s simply a man that has reached a certain point where his mind screamed out ‘No more!’. I believe everyone has reached a point like that at least once in his life, but what defines us is how we act upon it. The punisher had his way of life affected in such a dramatic way which we could only dream of and lead him to feel like he had to put a stop to it. To enact revenge and make sure it wouldn’t happen to anyone else. This line of thinking alone cuts him off from being a villain in my opinion. He might not be a hero in the traditional sense of the word, but he’s a hero nonetheless.

If you look at Batman for example, He lets villains live, mangle them? Sure. But they’re still alive. How many times have villains escaped from his grasp and killed even more people. If it were up to The Punisher he would’ve killed the villain to make sure they would pay for their crimes and not be able to hurt another person ever again. So in a way Batman is responsible for a lot of good people’s deaths. If you look at it this way, is it so strange to root for Frank Castle? He does what it takes to keep the streets safe.

You could argue the fact that The Punisher made some wrong decisions in life, But then again, haven’t we all? It’s what makes us human and it’s what makes The Punisher a more human and believable hero.

Click Here
Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Super-Buster

Wasn't this a question of the day a while back?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
Super-Buster said:
"Wasn't this a question of the day a while back?"
Nope.
BoYeR1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BoYeR1106

The Punisher is a very complex individual because of the fact that he is a mass murderer but only for the common good.  He strictly kills criminals for the safely of the people.  The fact of the matter is that the Punisher is a Hero because of his devotion to killing criminals and only criminals.  For example in The new Punisher war journal series in issue 4 the Punisher  poisoned and blew up a bar full of Super villains without even breaking a sweat.  Some people may say that is no accuse for taking a life.  But the thing is that every other super hero has a code of conduct and all this bull.  I'm not saying its not respectable to have that, but how many times has a super hero thrown a super villain in jail and they just end up breaking out and causing more chaos.  For example in the Amazing Spider-man series, spider-man defeats Venom and then he throws Venom in jail. Then Venom would end up sharing a Cell with Cletus Kasady.  Cletus Kasady was a psycho and a mass murderer and in jail for life.  So when Venom's symbite came and broke him out of jail a little piece of the symbite joined with Cletus to make Carnage.  If you don't know who carnage is or what he does hes was a Super villain that was the greatest fo that spider-man had ever faced.  Carnage killed mass amounts of people and was only stopped because 9 superheros and a ray gun ganged up on him.  But my point is that if Spider-man would have just killed Vemon and the symbite, carnage would have never happened.  Really though the Punisher is a hero because he kills criminals and he looks out for the people.  For example in the newest "The Punisher" series in issue # 63 the punihsher thinks he killed a little girl and almost killed himself because he cared that much about the little girl's life.  But before he pulled the trigger he went and dug the bullet out of the little girl's body and found out it wasnt his bullet.  So it all comes done to the Punisher is a hero and I hope by the evidence ive given you that you would think he was a hero too.    

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#11  Edited By HaloKing343

Hero

HHHH.........HHHH......EEEEEEEEEE.......RRRRRRR........OOOOOOOOO
HHHHHHHHHHH......EEE..........................R.........RR...........OOOOOOOOO
HHHHHHHHHHH......EEEEEEEEEE.......RRRRR...............OO...............OO
HHHH.........HHHH......EEE..........................R.........RR............OOOOOOOOO
HHHH.........HHHH......EEEEEEEEEE.......R...............RR......OOOOOOOOO

Punisher = Hero

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Elixir95

I had fun writing my blog.  And since my exams are next week, it was a good practice for the arguement that's needed at the end of the history exam.   Link'shere.

Last Arrow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Last Arrow.

Is he a hero or villain?  In my eyes both.

He is a man trained to be a fighter, Military black ops, A cop. The punisher is many things but at the end of it all he is a man and circumstances lead him to take matters into his own hands. Think about it what if you had all that training and your family was killed in front of you in cold blood and then the law fails to bring the killers to justice. What would you do as that man or woman. He kills cause that is what he was trained to do, That is what he was made to do by the very government that failed to help him. He protects the rights and laws of a country only for those laws to fail him when he needed it most.

But does he become a villain because he kill’s, I mean wolverine kill’s and yet he is one of the main faces in marvel and is considered a Hero. So what makes him so different from the Punisher….. Wolverine has friends and now a family Frank Castle is alone and keeps it that way. Why ? in order to protect people. He can’t allow anyone to get close so he protects them by keeping them away from his war and in his eyes he is fighting a war and we call it a war on crime. But is it not a war on terrorism? People who are trying to break the rights and cause harm to the country he once protected. No sorry I said that wrong the country he still protects with pride. In any other war he would be seen as a hero. But because he works outside the law and does what the scum he hunts, Would do to us in a heart beat some call him villain.

How do you punish serial killers, rapist and others who all slip the grip of the mighty blind lady. cause justice is blind and sometimes it takes an iron hand to deal the blow that we all want.So yes the injustice need to be punished and does it make him a hero yes but it also makes him a villain as he fights outside the laws he strives to protect! 

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/last_arrow_/blog/
Hardartist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Hardartist

Okay, that is very long.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Darkchild
Last Arrow. said:
"

Is he a hero or villain?  In my eyes both.

He is a man trained to be a fighter, Military black ops, A cop. The punisher is many things but at the end of it all he is a man and circumstances lead him to take matters into his own hands. Think about it what if you had all that training and your family was killed in front of you in cold blood and then the law fails to bring the killers to justice. What would you do as that man or woman. He kills cause that is what he was trained to do, That is what he was made to do by the very government that failed to help him. He protects the rights and laws of a country only for those laws to fail him when he needed it most.

But does he become a villain because he kill’s, I mean wolverine kill’s and yet he is one of the main faces in marvel and is considered a Hero. So what makes him so different from the Punisher….. Wolverine has friends and now a family Frank Castle is alone and keeps it that way. Why ? in order to protect people. He can’t allow anyone to get close so he protects them by keeping them away from his war and in his eyes he is fighting a war and we call it a war on crime. But is it not a war on terrorism? People who are trying to break the rights and cause harm to the country he once protected. No sorry I said that wrong the country he still protects with pride. In any other war he would be seen as a hero. But because he works outside the law and does what the scum he hunts, Would do to us in a heart beat some call him villain.

How do you punish serial killers, rapist and others who all slip the grip of the mighty blind lady. cause justice is blind and sometimes it takes an iron hand to deal the blow that we all want.So yes the injustice need to be punished and does it make him a hero yes but it also makes him a villain as he fights outside the laws he strives to protect! 

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/last_arrow_/blog/
"
Hell yea
Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/thedrifter/blog

The Punisher
  The Punisher has recently become one of my favorite characters, I've always been a fan of Dark characters and this guy fit the bill. It was how he worked and how he operated that truly intrigued me, he was a man who for nearly all of his life was trained to kill, He worked in Vietnam, he was a sniper, he was an army man and to see his family slaughtered right before his own eyes.....it horrified him.  It drove him to the brink of insanity. Really, imagine it.

You're on a family picnic, and without warning, your whole family is killed and the law that you served for so long failed to bring you justice.....yet you've served them for so long. It would no doubt be a gut wrenching experience to (as shown in Punisher MAX #1) hold your little boy, who's innocent eyes locked with yours and hold his blood and brain and fragments of skull in your hand and to look to your wife....your wife who you adored, who loved you, "Till death do you part" and now she laid across that grassy hill you'd set up for your picnic, her eyes forever stained into your mind.

It was time for him to stand up, grab his guns and take the law he'd served under for so long that in the end failed him and take it into his hands. Just as Frank put himself (I quote Punisher MAX #1 again) "I go out and I make the world sane".

and Thats why I like him. He took the traditional super-man way of dealing out justice and brought it to the new level of killing to get the job done.  He's both. He's a hero because he dispenses justice and yet he is a villain because of the way he deals it out.

So do I think that the world needs a black and white t-shirt to strike fear into the crinmal world.....Better question if it was you who wife , child, brother, sister who had been raped, killed or maimed would you not like to think justice would be served in one way or another?
Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr. Wilson
Added by Mr. Wilson on Nov. 23, 2008 | edit | delete

This post relates to: Punisher

So he kills people.  He wears a skull on his chest.  He uses guns.  This description doesn’t exactly match the stereotypes that most people think of when they hear the word hero.  So is the Punisher a hero?  Before you answer that you need to know what a hero truly means.  Let’s see if Frank earns the mantle of hero or villain.

The following is the definition of hero from Webster’s Dictionary.

Main Entry: he·ro

Pronunciation:  \ˈhir-(ˌ)ō\

Function:  noun

Inflected Form(s):  pluralheroes

Etymology:  Latin heros, from Greek hērōs

Date: 14th century

1 a: a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability

b: an illustrious warrior

c: a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities

d: one that shows great courage

2 a: the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work

b: the central figure in an event, period, or movement

3plural usuallyheros:submarine2

4: an object of extreme admiration and devotion :idol

Now that we know what hero means, let’s compare.

1a.  For this first defintion it calls for a legendary figure.  Frank Castle is legendary, his war on crime is what makes him that.  He could also be an urban myth to those who are too arrogant or who want to believe he is to build a false sense of comfort.  These beliefs are usually proved wrong and those criminals soon learn a lesson after they get pumped of lead.  In the second part it calls for him to be of divine descent.  His name is Frank Castle.  He may not be of this descent literally but his last name could figuratively mean divinitiy.  Coincidence?  Possibly, but it fits.  In the final part it says the character must be endowed with great strength or ability.  The Punisher is in great shape physically, maybe peak, but what is even stronger is his will and mentality.  A man who can take several cracked ribs, be injected with poisons, and survive in an explosion who without having a healing factor and can keep coming until the deed is done is truly strong.  Even when he knows that his mission to eradicate all crime will never be completed he still moves on.  Frank's ability is unquestionable.  Any man who can go into a room full of mobsters with a pistol and walk away from it has ability.  'Nuff said.

So far Frank is 1 for 1. 

b.  Franks is illustrious.  Illustrious means to be brilliantly outstanding because of dignity or achievements or actions (this is from Websters as well).  Frank has dignity for himself.  He holds himself in a state to where he can keep going no matter what and keeps this promise for his lost family.  The Punishers achievements and actions are grand and unbelievable.  He has destroyed many mad-men and saved many people.  Also illustrious can  mean to be bright.  Well this can mean several things.  He could be the bright hope to some innocent person or it could mean the glaring stare of his white skull.  As for the warrior part, I shouldn't even have to explain. 

2 for 2.

c.  Some people admire Frank for his life saving abilities but most see him at best as a crazy vigilante.  Criminals see him as a merchant of death and do not look too highly upon him.  For arguments sake, I'll give this to the naysayers.

2 for 3.

d.  Anyone who can hold their own against the whole criminal empire or even think of doing it has got courage.  Few people could do what he does and do it again without peeing their pants.

3 for 4.

2a.  Frank is the main character of his story so yes this definition works.
   b.  He has been the central figure of many crime busts and is a character who has earned the vigilante.

4 for 5.

3.  .....................................  We won't count this one.

4.  Some people do admire him for his skills as a marksmen and courageous man.  Spider-Man has his respect and other costumed vigilantes have come around to him.  The people he has saved also are usually thankful.  Some people resent him though so we'll put this against him.

4 for 6.

Okay it wasn't a perfect score.  Surprised?  I'm not.  Look at others we classify as heroes.  Spider-Man could have easily gotten this very score.  Batman as well.  Frank is in the same category.  These are the misunderstood heroes and maybe he's not exactly the picture we have for hero but he scored a better than average score.  If this isn't even enough, look at the U.S.  We voted to go at war with the terrorists who destroyed many loved ones and our sense of security on the fateful day of 9/11.  The Punisher's story is npt different.  Men took up arms and gunned down his loved ones and he vowed war on all criminals, deciding to punish them.  The U.S. killed people in their war.  So did Punisher.  The U.S. found that terrorism would never be destroyed.  Frank found that crime would never die.   They are exactly the same!  The people we call heroes are the exact same as a person most veiw as antihero/psycho.  What is the difference?  Nothing. 

I hope I have convinced by now but bottom line the guy saves people and leaves the world a better place, he is a hero.

-FIN-

Took longer than I thought.  I just copied and pasted from my blog.  Hope you like it.

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Elixir95

And the winner is.... *DRUM ROLL*

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mr. Wilson

For real.  lol

I think he is going to post tommorow.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gmanfromheck

Since today is the 25th, I'm allowing entries until the end of today (as stated in the first post).  Then I'll have to read them all and make a (hard) decision.  So hopefully tomorrow.

wolvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolvie

Whats the priZe

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr. Wilson
G-Man said:
"Since today is the 25th, I'm allowing entries until the end of today (as stated in the first post).  Then I'll have to read them all and make a (hard) decision.  So hopefully tomorrow."
Sounds good.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gmanfromheck

I'm not gonna lie, I don't have a winner yet.  Suspense is good, right?

Anyways, here's the Punisher Prize Package.  20 random comics (only 4 Punisher ones):

And I'm actually going to part with the awesome Punisher Movie Special from 1990 drawn by Brent Anderson.   No this isn't an adaption of the last, Thomas Jane movie.  This is the Dolph Lungren version, baby!

Winner will be announced later.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
G-Man said:
"I'm not gonna lie, I don't have a winner yet.  Suspense is good, right?

Anyways, here's the Punisher Prize Package.  20 random comics (only 4 Punisher ones):

And I'm actually going to part with the awesome Punisher Movie Special from 1990 drawn by Brent Anderson.   No this isn't an adaption of the last, Thomas Jane movie.  This is the Dolph Lungren version, baby!

Winner will be announced later."
That second prize is the jam.... I wish I had written a blog for this.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gmanfromheck

I actually debated on giving it away.  But the winner will deserve it.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Darkchild
G-Man said:

WOAH? I want that...
Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Precise
Darkchild said:
"WOAH? I want that..."
Me to! O_O
Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr. Wilson
G-Man said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Great stuff G-Man!
Agony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Agony

Nice stuff g man

may the best guy win but hopefull me lol jk

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gmanfromheck

This was a tough one.  There were some real close contenders.  One thing I hate to admit that proper spelling and grammar do make an easier read.  The winner wasn't based simply on that, but also content.

And the Winner is...

Mr. Wilson.  I have to say I really dug the way you took the official definition of a hero and based your argument against that.  Good job.  Hopefully everyone had fun with this.  I see it made some people actually sit and think over the question.  Keep on blogging.  Practice makes perfect or something like that.  As much as I hate having to choose a winner, I'm sure we'll have another blog contest in the future.

Congrats Mr. Wilson.  Pm me your mailing info and I'll get your prize out maybe on Friday.

JC Commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JC Commander

Congrats. Maybe next Blog contest Ill give it a shot

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr. Wilson

lol

Wow, thanks G-Man!  I can't believe I won with all the tough competition.  Great job guys!

Thanks again G-Man!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Congrats Wilson.

G-Man, Is there a runner up?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gmanfromheck

I had only planned on one wiener, just like Space Ghost is showing.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Precise

Congrats Wilson, great job ^_^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points