• 128 results
#1 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it's on.

RULES:

1. Contest starts on the first Thursday of July (comics don't come out on the fourth of July holiday).
  2. Only two entries allowed per person per day (Entries don't roll over. You miss your two on one day, you've lost them). Additional entries don't count towards the contest, so if you want to go above and beyond: go ahead, but past your FIRST TWO it won't give you more chance of winning.
  3. To call dibs on a comic simply leave a message on the appropriate forum calling dibs on either (or both) of your two books for that day. As long as you call 'em first on the forum, they are yours. If you call dibs on a book you must start working on it (do at least the short entry for it that day) or else it is fare game for someone else. Spoilers, however, can always be done later. This does not extend to things that don't exist in the system. If a character or creator is not in the system to add to the book then you can add them in after the fact, but you should work on get them submitted so that your entries are complete. More information about what constitutes a short entry comes later in this list.
  4. You get one raffle entry for a short entry (short entries consist of all creators listed, actual cover shot of the book, company's overview of the book, and character appearances). You may be awarded an *extra raffle* entry for doing a more detailed (spoilers) section of the bio (as a general rule of thumb this should be longer than the average overview).
  5. The contest will end at the end of the day on July 31st, leaving four weeks (27 days) for entries, so any member of the vine can upload a maximum of 54 books during the month of July that count towards the contest.
  6. Editing someone else's entries for completion is smiled upon, but will not earn you any additional points for this contest.
  7. Once the following Wednesday comes around the comics from the previous week will be off limits for the purposes of this contest (but are still worth adding in your spare time).
  8. Prizes will be drawn on August first. Since entries are raffle style just because you believe that you added the most doesn't necessarily mean you will win. All it may take to win first place is one entry.

So what will the prizes be?

• First prize will win a bunch of random comics of my choosing. I mentioned a sealed PS2 game. I'll probably dig out some sealed action figures I have stored. Maybe a trade paperback or something too.

• Second will get a similar package but less. I only have the one video game that's sealed. It should be a nice goodie package.

I was (I think) kinda generous last time around. I had planned on only one winner but went with three. So the comic selection should be pretty good. Again I have some #1's that I'll be throwing in. I will be throwing in some Earth X comics from Marvel (their version of Kingdom Come, I have some Captain America, Deadpool, Witchblade, Batman, Runaways comics to throw in. Also a Fullmetal Alchemist book.

As stated, it will only take one entry to win. But the more you enter, the more chances you'll have.

So this starts on Thursday. If you're able to find a shop that is open on Wednesday, any entries on that date will not count.

Be sure to post here when you add your two entries per day.

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man, I just got my comics. I was walking out the door to go take a run and I nearly tripped over the box. I hadn't expected them to get here so soon so I was surprised. Thanks for the books man, they're great.

#3 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward. I like this format better. With no restrictions on number of comics last times was a constant rush. Also I think since any number of entries could win we will have much more participation.

#4 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

How exactly do the 'dibs' work? Do you just call 'dibs' for the days that new comics arrive(on weds) or for each day of the month?

Example: Say I go to my LCS and pick up Action Comics, Nightwing, Outsiders or any of the other any of the 63 other issues out this week. Can I only call'dibs' on two issues for thursday or can i call 'dibs' on 54 issues straight out?

#5 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue_Shield says:

"How exactly do the 'dibs' work? Do you just call 'dibs' for the days that new comics arrive(on weds) or for each day of the month?Example: Say I go to my LCS and pick up Action Comics, Nightwing, Outsiders or any of the other any of the 63 other issues out this week. Can I only call'dibs' on two issues for thursday or can i call 'dibs' on 54 issues straight out?"

Per day. Right when you're going to work on them. You can't call it then go out for a stroll around the block. So technically you could only enter 14 times per week. But if it's a full entry issue summary, it will count as more than one entry. Just trying to keep things fair. Yes we all have our favorites we'd want to do. Bottom line, the issue in particular doesn't matter in terms of the contest, as long as it's out that week. Have fun with it. You also earn points on the site.

So again, once you are ready to start writing, then you call dibs. This way we won't get any overlapping entries. Be sure to post here.

#6 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Just so this is clear..you can dib two issues per day, but you must submit those issues that day. And if you don't, then said issue(s) are open again?

#7 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue_Shield says:

"Just so this is clear..you can dib two issues per day, but you must submit those issues that day. And if you don't, then said issue(s) are open again?"

Yes, I believe that's how it will be. You should call dibs when you are ready to do them.

#8 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

I just submitted 58 new creators that have comics coming out this month. Thought I'd help get things rolling, just waiting for approval.
Post Edited:2007-07-03 14:37:12

#9 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

Dibs on:

Uncanny X-Men #488

Edit: Uncanny X-Men 488 uploaded.
Post Edited:2007-07-05 09:28:09

#10 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

That was quick(also, darn time zone difference)still waiting for the LCS to open...

#11 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dibs on Countdown #43 & Astounding Wolf-Man #1 Directors Edition.

#12 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Dibs on Thor 1

Forgot to mention that I completed and submitted Thor as well.

BTW G-Man, I just got my prize comics in today! Thanks!

Post Edited:2007-07-05 20:19:26

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers/Transformers

#14 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Countdown #43 submitted.

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Canary

#16 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Astounding Wolf-Man #1 Director's Cut submitted.

#17 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so far, all six have been approved. Wonder if we'll have any other entries today? Go ahead and do full write-ups if you have the time.

#18 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll do Fallen Son #5.

#19 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Okay so far, all six have been approved. Wonder if we'll have any other entries today? Go ahead and do full write-ups if you have the time."

I don't know that I will today, but if I can find time this weekend I'll try to get to spoilers.

#20 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Fallen Son #5 accepted, I added and switched the covers to keep it consistent with the others in the series. Oh and I changed Astonishing Wolf-Man Directors Cut to just Astonishing Wolf-man. Pretty sure issue #1 already came out and this was just a re-do with more stuff.

And I just wanna say that Captain America #25 Director's Cut will not count as a new comic. I want it entered a certain way since it's basically the same comic. I guess I'll call dibs on it (don't worry, I won't count it as an "entry"). Hopefully you all saved your money and didn't buy it again.
Post Edited:2007-07-05 22:50:35

#21 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Full write-ups on both now done.

#22 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I did the Director's Cut. Can I assume no one will be doing Looney Tunes #152? I got it for Lil' G-Girl. I'll add if no one else wants it this week. And I plan on doing Radioactive Man #711 (get it?), the 7-Eleven exclusive comic. Unless someone else wants it.

Either post here or pm me if you want to keep it a secret until you're ready to do either.

#23 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dibs on Archaic #7 & Ward of the State #3

#24 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Dibs: Ms. Marvel (uploaded)

Gunslinger Born 6 (uploaded)

Post Edited:2007-07-06 15:36:56

#26 Posted by Agent Paradox 9 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I should have mentioned this here before.

I put up Outsiders #49 and New Warriors #2 already.

#27 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Archaic #7 submitted.

#28 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Power 6

Action Comics 851
Post Edited:2007-07-06 22:26:20

#29 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Argh, it's so hard for me to not upload new comics. But I've spent most of the day doing the que. Not as much fun as uploading new issues. At least we have a decent amount so far.

#30 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Ward Of The State #3 submitted.

#31 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

dibs on G. I. Joe: America's Elite #25

#32 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

okay

#33 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dib on Transformers: Target 2006 #4

G.I. Joe America's Elite #25 submitted.
Post Edited:2007-07-07 16:49:31

#34 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnighter 9

The Irredeemable Ant-Man 10
Post Edited:2007-07-07 22:51:56

#35 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

submitted Transformers: Target 2006 #4

will do full write-ups later.

#36 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dibs on Dynamo #5 and The Black Diamond #2 for 7/8/07.

#37 Posted by Superkitty (1089 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to enter submissions for this contest, but I don't have access to a digital camera. Is there any site(s) that would have covers for brand new issues?

#38 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Superkitty says:

"I would like to enter submissions for this contest, but I don't have access to a digital camera. Is there any site(s) that would have covers for brand new issues?"

I have the same scanner-less predicament (I have tried the digital camera thing and they always turn out like shit for me). A few comic companies put nice quality scans on their website (actual scans; marvel will just put the artwork up but I believe dark horse puts the actual scan complete with bar code). I have also found many good images on ebay, but beware because many are watermarked by ebay or by the seller themselves, and a lot of others are just crappy quality. Other than that google and search manually. There are a few sites whose names I don't remember that do a lot of reviews of comics and will have good quality cover scans. There are a few sites that specialize in comic book covers but many of them are only small and/or poor quality images.

#39 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dynamo 5 #5 submitted.

#40 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#41 Posted by Starleafgirl (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

NiteFly says:

"Superkitty says:
"I would like to enter submissions for this contest, but I don't have access to a digital camera. Is there any site(s) that would have covers for brand new issues?"
I have the same scanner-less predicament (I have tried the digital camera thing and they always turn out like shit for me).

Did Loners #4, thanks to G-Man helping me out with my own scanner-less predicament. Understand that I scoured (sp?) the Internet for a scan before asking him for his help, though. It's the closest thing he can get to "doing the new comics" anyway, I guess. :P Might want to try asking him. :)

#42 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Had some computer problems, so The Black Diamond #2 is now posted for today, instead you yesterday.

Also dibs on City Of Heroes #20.
Post Edited:2007-07-09 15:50:23

#43 Posted by Buckshot (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics 834

#44 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a reminder, tonight is the end of Week 1.

#45 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

*On your mark, get set, ...

#46 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

BPRD: Garden of Souls

#47 Posted by Blue_Shield (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Submitted Alien Pig Farm 3000 #4 and The Ride: Die Valkyrie! #2.

#48 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Factor 21

I am working on X-Factor and I screwed up. I added a new character for the book (the isolationist) that needs to be pushed through. I also started trying to add creators that didn't seem to be in the system. I was looking under characters, not creators. I need someone to cancel all of the creators I tried to add except for Brad Johansen. Sorry.
Post Edited:2007-07-12 15:38:06

#49 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Submitted: JSA Issue 7 and Sub-Mariner, working on Fables :D
Post Edited:2007-07-12 16:03:39
Post Edited:2007-07-12 19:22:51

#50 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Walkingstone says:

"Submitted: JSA Issue 7, working on Sub-Mariner, Countdown and Fables :D"

You know that the four will still only count as two contest entries, right?