• 76 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

There's no guarantee that no matter how well put together a show is that it will do well. There's a plethora of reasons a show can fail or get cancelled, even ones fans love. Firefly, Arrested Development, Freeks and Geeks, Futurama, and a plethora of other shows get the boot before it's realized how popular they are. Television moves fast, and if new shows don't get the ratings, they get the boot. It's as simple as that. There doesn't seem to be as much time allotted to let series grow and find their audience.

Look, I know we're starting on the wrong foot. I'm talking about the cancellation of widely-loved shows to put all of what I want to talk about into perspective: a show that is yet to be cancelled, but it certainly looks like it's headed that way. If you missed the title of this piece, then you probably don't know I'm talking about NBC's Constantine. I love this show, and it seems to have found a solid following on social media, with people tweeting out #SaveConstantine, which includes the writers of the show.

No Caption Provided

In recent news, according to Deadline, NBC didn't order a full season and this first season will be capped at 13 episodes. This doesn't mean the show is cancelled, but it doesn't seem like this series has a lot of hope. Sure, it is still in contention for the show to get picked up for a second season, but with other comic shows in their first season, The Flash and Gotham, both getting full season orders, there's not a lot of hope, at least from me, but maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist.

While the title of this article may make it seem like I completely and utterly blame NBC for how well or not well this show is doing, that's not entirely the case. There's a lot of blame to throw around, but first and foremost, we should really talk about what I'm calling the "Time Slot from Hell." Constantine airs on Friday nights at 10/9C, right after Grimm. While the intent to put Constantine on right after another show with the same type of tone, which audiences may gravitate towards, is a good idea, the show is still on Fridays at 9/10C. Late prime-time on Friday nights: the time where the whole family sits around the television and basks in the warmth of all their favorite shows, right? Nope. Lots of folks like to go out on Fridays, and when people aren't home, they can't watch television.

No Caption Provided

I can understand why Constantine is on at 10 at night. There's shows that are violent and darker that do well that air at that time like The Strain, Sons of Anarchy, and American Horror Story: Freakshow. While two out of three are series that are well-established, they aren't shows that can be on right in prime-time because of the level of maturity. So putting Constantine on that late leaves me to believe that it is a more mature show. Here's the thing, you could put this on at 8 and it would be fine. It's not a mature show. There's adult elements within the show, but there's nothing that makes this a show that has to be on this late. If you can put dramatic sex-crime investigation shows on during peak viewing hours, Constantine should be fine. Now, forgetting the idea that fall premiere shows get cancelled more than they get renewed, it's just the worst place to air a show. Let's look at some numbers, for other Friday shows, on the other major networks, from Tv By The Numbers.

At the same time as Constantine, according to the ratings from 12/6, ABC's 20/20 had 6.3 million live viewers (1.4 rating). CBS's Blue Bloods, which was a rerun, had 6.61 million live viewers (0.8 rating). Constantine had 3.1 million live viewers (0.8 rating). In total, there were 16 million people watching these networks. Listen, I have no idea how the rating system works. I do understand the total number of people watching though. I can tell you that same time slot, on a Monday night, has 20 million viewers between the three networks and two of the shows in that 10PM time slot have 8 million live viewers. You can do the math from there. That's four million more viewers and those shows are up against Monday Night Football (11.7 million live viewers) and WWE's Monday Night Raw (4 million live viewers), two staples on Monday nights.

Where am I going with that? Well, Friday night viewership isn't there, no matter how great the show is. The regular week or even Sundays are where it's at. The well intentions of placing Constantine on after Grimm is still a slap in the face and shows NBC has little faith in the show, as they're using it for filler before your nightly news.

I don't know much about how live viewing vs streaming works either. Are people watching this show on NBC.com or on Hulu? What about the people, much like me, that have to DVR it each week? What are those numbers like compared to everything else? Hopefully, NBC has a good understanding that the way people watch tv is changing and changing quickly.

No Caption Provided

Another strange thing that happened with this series, which feels like NBC doesn't have much faith in the show is airing episodes out of order. I don't know how often it happens, but every example I can think of resulted in the show getting cancelled within its first season, right Firefly? According to a few folks here and there, episode #106 "Rage of Caliban" was actually supposed to be the second episode, and it was obvious, even before I learned that piece of information. Airing things out of order doesn't make too much sense, even if the series has a bit more of a villain of the week feeling to it. There is an overarcing story and when things don't air the way they're supposed to, you can tell.

Constantine came over a lot of odds from the start, with Lucy Griffiths, the main actress of the pilot, leaving the show, there was a lot of doomsayers before the show even started letting the world know the show was destined for failure. On top of that, the first few episodes were a tad rough. They were ok, but nothing to really shake a stick at. The show really didn't hit a solid stride until the fourth episode, "A Feast of Friends," based off the first arc of HELLBLAZER. From there, the show really found it's footing. Sadly, it lost a lot of people looking forward to the show and once their gone, it's hard to get them back, which sucks because this is actually turning out to be one hell of a show.

Sure, not everything is NBC's fault when it comes of Constantine, but they certainly did set it up for failure, which sucks because it's easily one of the better comic book television series currently on the air, and as I said earlier, we live in a great age for that. What I want you, random person reading this who hasn't seen the show, is to give it a shot. Ignore my fanboy cries, whines, and pleas about how everything is awful, except the show and go check out "A Feast of Friends." You can watch it right here, along with the other episodes. Judge for yourself, since it's a show that never was really given a chance.

If you don't like, oh well. If you do like it, continue to watch it. Let people know. The writers of the show encourage people on Twitter to use #SaveConstantine when tweeting about it, so go do that. Again, it's a great show and there's lots of potential for growth, so let's try to save a show in a horrible time slot.

#SaveConstantine

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let's save it. I firmly believe we can do this.

Watch tomorrow night at 10, folks. I know it'll be a great one, knowing the comics.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Remember people, just keep watching, even if you can't watch it live just find another official source and those numbers will still help.

Also don't forget to Tweet #SaveConstantine

No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

I record it and watch it, just to support the show, though, I'm not blown away by it, tbh.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It didn't get picked up by any network in the UK, the only way to see it is on amazon. This does not help vs Gotham and AoS as those are on free to view channels.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By w0nd

I record it and watch it, just to support the show, though, I'm not blown away by it, tbh.

do you enjoy it at least? Is it WORTH watching

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: It most defiantly is.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I watch it on Amazon Prime and I know it's in the Top 10 most watched shows on there.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have TV, so I watch it on NBC.com

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

It would be a Christmas mircale if Constantine is allowed another season and a different timeslot. Support the show people so hopefully that will happen!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@the_stegman: I've been doing the same. While it has gotten better, I don't look forward to it in the manner I do Flash or AoS. But I have also never been much for magic and mysticism in comics overall.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

If the CW, FOX or even AMC is smart then they will pick up the rights for Constantine and keep the show going. If Adult Swim, can resurrect Family Guy and make it into the franchise that it has become today then the same can be done with Constantine.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Contrary to the other comments, Constantine is the only comic book show that I genuinely look forward to, and it's definitely my favorite of the lot.

It's basically a slightly hammier version of X-Files starring everyone's favorite sleazy conman/master of the dark arts (cast and played perfectly) with some DC references thrown in for good measure.

I'm optimistic about its future though. Whether I'm proven to be delusional or not is just a matter left to time.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt, how would you compare this to Gotham, quality wise?

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the writers had a part in shooting themselves in the foot as well by not introducing a sort of origin for the character. I know "hero" origins are kinda' tiring at this point but John's is one that doesn't follow the lines of the typical do-gooder. And he's not Spider-Man or Supes. Not a lot of people are even familiar of the character himself. The creators just threw him into the world expecting everyone to just root for the character. I know to some, he just comes off as a cocky a-hole. ...He is one.. But perhaps people would understand why he is like he is if they knew where he came from.

If they introduced the character properly to begin with, with him going through death, betrayal, etc. maybe regular audiences would find the show more than a Grimm, SP knock-off.

Just my opinion. I hope it survives 'cuz I'm a huge fan of the character.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

It really is a shame because before a single episode aired, I knew that this was going to be a short lived series. We can still get it brought back for a second season but it'll always be on borrowed time. I'll just be thankful for what I get and when it ends, I'll be sad no matter what. It's my favorite comic book show on TV and I can only hope we at least get 2 seasons out of it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This show gets more views than Hannibal (which got a 3rd season) and as stated has a terrible time slot. I place the chances that this show will get a 2nd season at 85%

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Lazarus pits in arrow hopefully they'll be willing to pick up Constantine and make it part of the cw universe.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#18 inferiorego  Staff

@muyjingo said:

Matt, how would you compare this to Gotham, quality wise?

I like Constantine better. It isn't as convoluted

ContinuityBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ContinuityBomb

It was doomed from the beginning. Reference Kevin Smith's Reaper. Seems a majority of people don't want to watch a writer mythos religion. It's sad cause it's a really great written show.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this show, watch it on Amazon Prime. It would be a real shame for it to be cancelled.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the CW, FOX or even AMC is smart then they will pick up the rights for Constantine and keep the show going. If Adult Swim, can resurrect Family Guy and make it into the franchise that it has become today then the same can be done with Constantine.

I think the real problem is that Constantine is misplaced in the wrong channel. Now if was placed the in channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax. It would do fine. But if you put it in channels like CW, or FOX, it will censored elements that Constantine, Constantine. Just another example of great potential show, in the wrong channel.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SilverPool

I need to start watching my recordings of this and catch up.

First episode wasn't great, but it certainly doesn't deserve a cancellation from what I've seen.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#24  Edited By The Impersonator

HBO should have picked up Constantine and have 10-13 episodes to tell the story in 45-60 minutes, much like Game of Thrones and True Blood. As a result, you have a darker, adult-themed series with full of potential just like the original comic book series. You don't need 22 episodes to tell the story. The airing time should at least be 8 or 9 pm.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much have to watch all TV shows on the Network's website (except ABC because they require a cable sub in order to watch a new episode the same week it aired, so fuck them), but if I had regular TV, I'd be watching this show the night it aired every week.

I'm going to be very upset if they cancel this show, but I do hope that another GOOD network can pick it up. Honestly I'm surprised The Blacklist has gotten as far as it has and it's one of my favorite TV shows period. NBC and Fox are just awful at keeping shows on the air.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't interested in watching Constantine, but it still annoys me that networks put shows on Friday and expect to have Monday audiences. It's still not clear how DVR and online streaming affect TV show ratings.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

I am really happy with Constantine, started slow but really getting into now.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Personally, my favourite show based on a comic book right now. Though I like Arrow and The Flash, it's way too CW with all the love triangles that they have going on.

Gotham and AoS aren't really my thing either.

Constantine has been quite faithful to the source material and has a solid cast (with the brilliant Matt Ryan).

Of course there are some things that need to be ironed out, but it is very rare that shows are flawless from their first season.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@Jeremy1989: I don't believe CW would censor Constantine, sure it can't do the stuff it does in the comics(not even cable would agree with some stuff) but CW has Supernatural which is a very dark show in itself, Constantine should have been on CW from the start as far as I'm concerned.

@ravenvice01 said:

My thoughts exactly plus I don't get how Constantine which has good acting, good plots is in danger of getting canned when AOS first season got renewed(though I still say the Marvel "shared movie continuity" badge saved that show honestly...yet it got renewed.

I think CW or cable station need to pick it up or FOX. Someone that is more dependable, I never trusted NBC from the start given their track record.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

#30  Edited By Guru_Crack

@g_leno: Yea is quite annoying although I really can't be dealing with adverts nowadays

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I knew it was going to be on the verge of failure.... it's on NBC and the time slot is 10 pm est fridays. Worst timeslot ever.

The best show on TV, Hannibal also has the same problems Constantine is having.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In an age of DVR, it surprises me that time slots still matter.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#saveconstantine

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show gets more views than Hannibal (which got a 3rd season) and as stated has a terrible time slot. I place the chances that this show will get a 2nd season at 85%

You said that yesterday. Is that statistic accurate?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think we should all know DC well enough by now to know that the fact that a show is in danger of ending so soon just proves how good it is

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I feel like if there's an acknowledged "Time Slot From Hell" networks would adjust their expectations for the numbers for them.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#37 pikahyper  Moderator

For those saying Constantine should have been on HBO, Showtime or Cinemax it couldn't be, not any more, Hellblazer from Vertigo could have been on a premium network because it was a mature themed comic but once DC shifted him to the mainstream DC universe he could no longer be a mature title. Once he was made age appropriate they couldn't risk having a separate mature version on tv, the brand has to be universal across media especially if the Justice League Dark movie happens.

As for the ratings I'm pretty sure they only count live views, they tally streaming and dvr but I don't think those numbers are as big an influence because they don't make as much ad revenue off them (networks hate dvr's and streaming, they want you locked to the outdated box). If you watch a show on amazon, netflix or hulu they are either ad-free or have few ad's and the network doesn't make money off them they only make money if the streaming service pays a license fee I believe. On network web sites they have fewer ad's as well and the revenue those pull in probably only pays for the costs of the actual streaming and misc costs of putting them online so most of the money is probably just coming from live ad's, international licensing fees and eventually dvd/blu-ray sales.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@w0nd: I say, yes. It's worth watching, but I'm not eager to watch it, I usually watch the recording days later.

genekellypunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll start watching on the NBC site then! Though I tend to gravitate towards Gotham out of the DC shows that are on right now, Constantine can't possibly be worse than Arrow.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show definitely has potential or at least I should say A Constantine show is possible but I really don't like how nbc has handled it. Matt Ryan plays a great Constantine but the overall story never seems to go anywhere and the other cast members are just not interesting.

MyBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted it to be good, but this show sucks.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really care about Superhero tv shows. Cancel them all please.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I love Constantine, i really hope this doesn't get cancelled.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By judasnixon

If there was an appropriate time for the BBC to take an American product for once....... I think this the time.....

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By donmeca2020

Me personally... i didn't even think people watch regular boadcast channels anymore. for that reason plus as others said bad day and time that is what makes it hard to watch this show. I'm interested in checking it, but its gonna have to get in line with Gotham,Arrow and Flash that is whenever i end up getting time to sit down and give these all a good watching.

I'm sure if this show were to get picked up by a cable channel it would do alot better. possibly FX or even CW pick it up to add to there "Super Hero" line up of shows.

MyBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOW DO I CHANGE MY AVATAR???

I uploaded a pic, but there's no way to select it in Settings.

F******************************CK!

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember people, just keep watching, even if you can't watch it live just find another official source and those numbers will still help.

Also don't forget to Tweet #SaveConstantine

No Caption Provided

I'm hoping for the best!

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ForeverMan

The main problem with this show is, outside of a lead performance that comic fans can be excited about; it's just not that good.

The first episode and the last one that aired were pretty cool, but the rest have been meh to pretty weak. The stories have not been very gripping, the supporting characters as they've been presented haven't piqued my interest, the mood and tone of the show are hardly horror.

This show just reminds me of a lot of things that can go wrong when Network television tries its hand at mature horror elements.

It's better than Gotham, but that's about it.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its an interesting show, but its nowhere near the level of Supernatural

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#50  Edited By RavenVice01

@jeremy1989: U have a point. There are many things that the media has taught me and one of them is: sex sells. The Constantine show needs some satanic orgies and some midnight romps. Less we forget, Constantine is bisexual. Zatanna will always be John's No. 1 phillie but he has had a few dudes that get his rocks off.

HBO could probably pick up Constantine since True Blood is over. Showtime already has Penny Dreadful which is an awesome show. Most of Cinemax's shows are shoot'em up dramas and Starz like to maintain sophistication with their shows like Black Sails.