inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

It's a sad day for fans of Constantine. The show is officially dead, according to showrunner Daniel Cerone. He made the announcement through Twitlonger, after keeping fans of the show as updated as possible about the future of the show.

I promised I'd share news when I had it -- sadly, that news is not good. The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts. The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we're forever grateful, but those efforts didn't pan out. I'm sorry, I wasn't provided any information on the attempts to sell the show elsewhere. All I can report is that the show is over.

Cerone continued to talk about the show and writing as a whole. "nobody I know ever chose a writing career -- it chose them." He thanked the fan base of the show and it's pretty obvious that he's extremely disappointed.

NBC's Constantine has been on a rollercoaster of a ride, since it started. It originally only got a half-order for season one and most people thought that meant it would be canceled. NBC didn't make any sort of official announcement about the show, and that's when the rumors started. Fans waited patiently for NBC to pick it up for another season, and even after a successful weekend of streaming the show over the net, NBC decided to pass on season two.

However, showrunner Daniel Cerone tried his best to take this to another network, and fans wondered who would pick it up. Many thought that CW was going to add it to it's collection of DC properties and others thought that Syfy was a good place for it to go. This continued for the past couple of months with Cerone updating everyone through Twitter.

Sadly, it's a huge bummer to see Constantine not come back for season two, since there was a lot of potential there and the first season was pretty great. What do you think?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 k4tzm4n  Moderator

*pats Mat on the back*

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@k4tzm4n said:

*pats Mat on the back*

thanks... i need it

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Terrible.... I wanted A Season 2.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably the worst comic book news ive received recently. I really wanted this show to live on. especially with shows like Gotham *shudders* being instantly renewed.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Billy_Cobb

Let's get Matt Ryan as Constantine in Arrowverse, then. Or a Justice League Dark movie! Please, Warner Brothers and whoever else would be involved!

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why? Hopefully CW picks it up.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DC needs to make the tough decision when going forward with there shows.I said it before and I say it again shows like Constantine should not come on channels like NBC. This should could have been done better and AMC,FX,HBO or Starz.

Where they could have done the show much more justice and I am sure more people would have take note.

If shows like American Horror Story can be done and it can be good Constantine can do it too.

They should have even put on CW instead of NBC. The Fans of CW will watch a new show if it is good and be interested in it.

Plus they are on a role with there shows.The new shows like the 100 and the flash are doing great.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oiiiiiiii neeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Constantine gets canceled while Gotham gets another season. Television is a cruel mistress

RIP Constantine. Hope that someday Matt Ryan can portray the role again.

Let's get Matt Ryan as Constantine in Arrowverse, then. Or a Justice League Dark movie! Please, Warner Brothers and whoever else would be involved!

Yes!

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Constantine will ever get proper justice. It's a shame because the concept is brilliant

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a great show. I was genuinely upset by the news.

Bye bye Angelica Celaya :(

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll still be able to buy it on blu-ray right?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

It was pretty sh*t.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ehh...it never really got there for me. There were some good episodes and I liked having something to watch Friday nights, but Constantine isn't made for prime time network television.

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sad to see such a good show go. Matt Ryan was an awesome Constantine.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Damn. Make it a movie, that's all I ask.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I hate it when they do this. Create an awesome series and then kill it. I know it's not always the creator's fault but still.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very disappointed in CW and NBC for keeping our hopes high so long and then just crush them without a reason.

Constantine had better ratings than Arrow, why didn't CW pick it up?

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help to think if Constantine would have been on another network it would still be around. I have little faith in NBC and how it handles it's properties.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hellblazer is destined to never have a successful adaptation

Avatar image for divine_disorder
Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Del Toro doing a JL Dark movie? Hope he gets Matt Ryan to play Constantine again. The guy's flawless in the role.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meanwhile arrow, Gotham, gets renewed.

Well this is just the shittiest news ive heard in awhile :/

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Anjon

How is it that everyone blames poor management of the series on it failing and not the quality of the show itself? Honestly, I just don't think the show was very good, and I watched it to completion. The first episode was pretty much filler, as nothing revealed in it actually applied to the rest of the season, which was a big problem for me.

I grew attached to the female lead presented in that episode and the plot arc they started with her, but then it was immediately abandoned from the second episode going forward. I don't think they even referenced that character from that point. The tone of that episode was drastically different from the rest of the series as well.

The main plot introduced in that first episode (finding and defeating the demon that stole a young girl's soul that Constantine inadvertently damned to hell) was quickly abandoned for an extremely boring, extremely contrived "Monster of the Week" plot progression, then they introduce another main threat near the end of the series, but never elaborate or show them in any way.

Finally, by the show's end, the audience was left with only setup and no real changes to speak of. Nothing was ever completed or done. Not a single one of the main characters' goals, ambitions, or intentions were any step closer to being realized. It was all just a prologue, which is baffling for a show that had such little exposure. You would expect them to come out guns blazing and tell a complete, cohesive story before going into extensive world building.

This all painted a picture of a show that would struggle to hold anyone's attention for long as they waited for the real plot to move forward.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FearTheLiving

The first comic book show to fall in this new age. Sad as I didn't think this show deserved to get canceled thought it was way better than Gotham and Arrow this season.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

No Caption Provided

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did set this show up for failure to be honest, 8 o clock time, Friday Night, NBC...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Dont care but my sympathies go out to da fans

~MiB

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Autopsad

Well, I'm a huge fan of Vertigo's Hellblazer but the show never grew on me... I did'nt see any "true" horror...

I really think Hellblazer should be made in movie format, not some charmed-like series...

BUT I admit Matt Ryan made a good job.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@anjon: agree so much. Thought the show was just boring and also watched all the episode imo. Others might have thought it was good, but it really wasn't anything new or special

~MiB

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

This really sucks. Debuting in the dumping ground, NBC never gave this show a chance.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Kal'smahboi

They handled it wrong from the beginning. Damn shame, so much potential.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dedpool

SO SAD! Such a loss!! There was so much potential to this show. Adding it to my list of cancelled shows that got no love:

Brimstone

Crow: Stairway to Heaven

Blade The Series

The Dresden Files

Firefly

Constantine

Not to mention cartoons like Masters of The Universe 2003

Young Justice

Green Lantern The Animated Series

Legion of Superheroes

Thundercats 2011

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I loved Matt as Constantine, but everything else about the show was kinda dull, not surprised it didn't do that well. Sorry for its fans though.

Also, people need to shut up about it being canceled while Gotham isn't, that's not how TV works. Networks don't think

"Oh. It's better than Gotham...let's give it another season!"

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

@anjon said:

How is it that everyone blames poor management of the series on it failing and now the quality of the show itself? Honestly, I just don't think the show was very good, and I watched it to completion. The first episode was pretty much filler, as nothing revealed in it actually applied to the rest of the season, which was a big problem for me.

I grew attached to the female lead presented in that episode and the plot arc they started with her, but then it was immediately abandoned from the second episode going forward. I don't think they even referenced that character from that point. The tone of that episode was drastically different from the rest of the series as well.

The main plot introduced in that first episode (finding a defeating the demon that stole a young girl's soul that Constantine inadvertently damned to hell) was quickly abandoned for an extremely boring, extremely contrived "Monster of the Week" plot progression, then they introduce another main threat near the end of the series, but never elaborate or show them in any way.

Finally, by the show's end, the audience was left with only setup and no real changes to speak of. Nothing was ever completed or done. Not a single one of the main characters' goals, ambitions, or intentions were any step closer to being realized. It was all just a prologue, which is baffling for a show that had such little exposure. You would expect them to come out guns blazing and tell a complete, cohesive story before going into extensive world building.

This all painted a picture of a show that would struggle to hold anyone's attention for long as they waited for the real plot to move forward.

Also, this.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mercy_

That's a bummer. I was hoping they'd find a home elsewhere.

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GeeWhiz

@anjon said:

How is it that everyone blames poor management of the series on it failing and now the quality of the show itself? Honestly, I just don't think the show was very good, and I watched it to completion. The first episode was pretty much filler, as nothing revealed in it actually applied to the rest of the season, which was a big problem for me.

The main plot introduced in that first episode (finding a defeating the demon that stole a young girl's soul that Constantine inadvertently damned to hell) was quickly abandoned for an extremely boring, extremely contrived "Monster of the Week" plot progression, then they introduce another main threat near the end of the series, but never elaborate or show them in any way.

I pretty much have the opposite opinion as you on the show. I really like this show and I liked the world building and the longer story arcs. All the "Monsters of the Week" plots were connected with the main longer story arc. I appreciated the build-up to what I anticipated would have been a great climax but unfortunately, it looks like I will never see it.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zatanna TV series anyone?

Below0Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damnit CW why wouldn't you pick this show up. FUUUUCCCKKK

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Benk111

@regiebravo: @billy_cobb: the CW won't pick it up they had their chance and passed on the show, once everybody is released from their contracts it's over.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By KritikalMassX

@feartheliving said:

The first comic book show to fall in this new age. Sad as I didn't think this show deserved to get canceled thought it was way better than Gotham and Arrow this season.

In hindsight, any comic book show (including Arrow IMHO) is way better than Gotham. But yeah, this is pretty unfortunate to hear about this.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving said:

In hindsight, any comic book show (including Arrow IMHO) is way better than Gotham. But yeah, this is pretty unfortunate to hear about this.

I'll take Gotham over Agent of Boring any day. I gave that show over a season and it was about as exciting as any other procedural cop show on television.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, would someone else please tell me... how did Gotham get renewed for a second season while Constantine doesn't? It was a much better show than Gotham. Anyways, if Guillermo del Toro gets his JLD together, he should definitely cast Matt Ryan as Constantine because Matt Ryan IS Constantine

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The actors may not have been the best but this was the best DC tv show out there. I'm disappointed that it couldn't last.

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That's a pity. To me, Constantine was one of the better comic-based TV shows.

But was do you guys got against Gotham? The only think I really disliked about that show was the insane amount of Batman related characters that got introduced. And the actress of Selina Kyle.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By safefruitcake

That's a shame.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving said:

That's true. Which makes the cancellation of Constantine sting even more when that show's allowed to stay on the air.

@theblackhood said:

I'll take Gotham over Agent of Boring any day. I gave that show over a season and it was about as exciting as any other procedural cop show on television.

Agents of SHIELD did have a very drawn out first half of the first season but around the Winter Soldier tie-in it really picked up. Season 2 made it even better with all the Hydra and Inhuman stuff. I do find it funny you call it a procedural cop show though considering that's exactly what Gotham is with added Batman villains...who aren't fighting Batman.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cast was good, I want Constantine, Papa Midnight , & Specter in the Legends of Tomarrow instead of Cold & Heatwave. But that show was horrible. No one wants pointless monster of the week in this day, not when you have 2 1/2 years of arrow & 1/2 a season of Flash actually getting the plot going while it took 13 episodes to find out WTF was going on.

Also, the show should have been part of the Arrow/Flash-verse.

I blame the writers & the network for that garbage. The cast & the characters were fine.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was doomed to fail.

A Friday night timeslot on NBC. For a new show? Dead in the water.

They also straight-washed him. They made him straight instead of Bisexual. If they had kept his bisexuality, that would have a bigger buzz around the show. He'd be the first bisexual male protagonist of a primetime network. That'd bring in the viewers.

But then you can bring in the views but that doesn't mean they'll stay. The Show itself was good but it could have been better. We start with the first episode in the middle of an epic where a child's soul is damned to hell by a faulty spell. That plot is never solved. The first episode introduced a young woman with amazing powers. We never see her again. The rest of the season was John playing ghost busters across the country. While the MOTD were interesting; it was a waste of time. They kept hinting at a big bad boss throughout the whole season. We never even got a glimpse. All talk and no action.