20 Comments
Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

Great rundown man, I agree Harbinger is not only my favourite book from Valiant but one of my favourite books foolstop. I'm really hoping Ninjak get's an ongoing soon, the character is just far to cool to be left as a cameo character. Also I think once Shadowman gets a few more issues in it will = Harbinger at my top spot.

Honestly I really hope more pepole start paying attention to Valiant and giving the books a shot, they are just that good and actually beat a most of what Marvel and DC put out in terms of quality.

I also would like to see more of Timewalker

Posted by Squalleon

I really wanna start reading Valiant but i don't have the money :-(

I read the First X-O MANOWAR and it was very good

Walter Simons is the Executive Producer, you should probably add him

Edited by MSchiwal

@Jonny_Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. Walter Simons has been added to the list of Valiant Executives.

I am pretty certain that Ninjak will be getting his own book, but they will probably wait for when its best to have him break off of the X-O series... since their goals are currently aligned, when their paths separate I predict a page at the end of that issue stating "FOLLOW NINJAK IN HIS OWN SERIES!". And I will... because he is awesome.

@Squalleon

I, too, have been struggling for cash lately. Something of particular note with these series are that each of their initial trade books will only cost $10.  Since the release of the trades is pretty well staggered you should be able to pick up any you are wanting without too much difficulty.

@Squalleon: Isn't there anything on you'r pull list you can drop? Or like MSchiwal said and pick up the tpb

Edited by Squalleon

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Squalleon: Isn't there anything on you'r pull list you can drop? Or like MSchiwal said and pick up the tpb

Probably i will buy the Tpb i just hate waiting

Posted by scuzz2.0

These books are all amazing. especially Harbinger.

I thought Ivar was the guy who was appearing to Archer pretending to be Jesus. he said he was the last guy to use the boon. wasn't that Ivar?

Posted by SmashBrawler

I love Bloodshot, and as some of you may know, I'm planing to add another Valiant book to my pull list.

Even though I didn't start to read Valiant when their relaunch first started, I have to say they always seemed like an interesting company ever since I read their FCBD issue. The books they were offering looked very good, but I especially liked their editorial plan. It looks like it has worked wonders for them, so whoever came up with it, I want to shake their hand.

Edited by MSchiwal
@scuzz2.0 said:

These books are all amazing. especially Harbinger.

I thought Ivar was the guy who was appearing to Archer pretending to be Jesus. he said he was the last guy to use the boon. wasn't that Ivar?

Yes that is Ivar. This particular blog post was written before that issue came out so I hadn't realized that was, in fact, Ivar the Timewalker. I had considered fixing Ivar's entry in the blog but decided to leave it as a twist for new readers. 

Originally all my blog posts are on my wordpress, Sparrows With Machineguns. However after joining Comicvine, I have started to repost them here. So yes, as of now the only character who has yet to appear from the "Returning Characters" list is the newest Geomancer.
Posted by MSchiwal
@SmashBrawler

If you are a fan of Bloodshot and are planning on picking up another book, I would recommend either Harbinger or Shadowman. Harbinger will be starting a crossover arc with Bloodshot, the Harbinger War, this coming year and would make Harbinger a natural choice of book to read before the event starts. On the other hand, going by your tastes, Shadowman is the probably the most tonally similar to Bloodshot.

Hope the advice wasn't terribly unwanted. Have a good holiday!

Cheers,

@MSchiwal said:

@SmashBrawler: If you are a fan of Bloodshot and are planning on picking up another book, I would recommend either Harbinger or Shadowman. Harbinger will be starting a crossover arc with Bloodshot, the Harbinger War, this coming year and would make Harbinger a natural choice of book to read before the event starts. On the other hand, going by your tastes, Shadowman is the probably the most tonally similar to Bloodshot. Hope the advice wasn't terribly unwanted. Have a good holiday! Cheers,

Also both are excellent books

Posted by SmashBrawler

@MSchiwal: I was planning to read Shadowman (either that or X-O Manowar, we'll see). I had heard of Harbinger Wars, but I hope reading Harbinger isn't necessary. Nothing against the book, it's just that I'm reading too much stuff at the moment, and adding another Valiant book to my pull list wasn't in my original plans.

Hope the advice wasn't terribly unwanted. Have a good holiday!

Not at all, have a good holiday to you too!

@SmashBrawler: It's not necessary to read all of it, if you just read Bloodshot, Harbinger or the Harbinger Wars mini you get a full and contained story in each.

Posted by SmashBrawler

@Jonny_Anonymous: Glad to hear that. I'm definitely going to buy the main Harbinger Wars series, though.

Posted by Baramos

I have been reading ALL the Valiant reboots, pretty much at the cost of the big two. I've been reading Batman but that's about it besides picking up some of the new Hawkeye and Deadpool...it's too bad because I've also been enjoying Animal Man/Swamp Thing, but Valiant is just so good that I can wait for the TPBs on those two.

Anyway, the amazing thing about all five of the current series is I have enjoyed all of them deeply. I enjoy the inter-sections of the plots and universes (I can imagine reading Bloodshot without reading Harbinger, but the two seem pretty deeply entwined in their backstory--not surprising that the first big crossover, Harbinger Wars, is bringing these two disparate plots into collision. So far, the other three have been pretty separate, although I assume there will be crossovers between them in the future), and the art has been some of the best I've seen (especially Archer & Armstrong and Shadowman--if I had to criticize one it would be the art team on Harbinger which is definitely lower-grade than the rest of the different books).

My favorite is probably Archer & Armstrong. I have rarely laughed out loud at a comic book but this one has managed to elicit actual laughter every issue.

Posted by MSchiwal

@Baramos - Yeah... Batman and Hawkeye are pretty much the series that I would equate to being 'Valiant Quality'. One of the things I have liked the most about Valiant so far is that it hasn't felt necessary for them to force crossovers, it was made clear that these characters all inhabit the same world and beyond that it would flow organically. Besides that they have been able to introduce the bulk of title characters within other series(namely Archer & Armstrong). Still I am quite content that they continue to have a slower release of new series if it means they continue their quality. 

Still I am curious what anyone's thoughts are on who they would like to see get the next series slot.(My vote remains stolen by Ninjak)

@SmashBrawler - They are planning things so that the series can be read separately and I hope they pull it off. It's also odd that I hadn't thought of recommending X-O to you, as it is another action heavy, sci-fi type like Bloodshot(but in a completely different fashion). For some reason Shadowman seemed the more tonally similar.

Oh and I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone reading this. This is definitely my most read blog that I have ever written, and I know I tend to ramble on in my posts so I am really flattered knowing there are so many people who read this. It means a lot.

Posted by Reignmaker

Looking to drop a couple bloated 4 dollar books from the Big 2 publishers and pick up a couple of these this year.

Looking to drop a couple bloated 4 dollar books from the Big 2 publishers and pick up a couple of these this year.

great idea

Posted by AllStarSuperman

Nice read, I'll give this a bump