Posted by BumpyBoo

Much appreciated :D thank you

Posted by CrimsonCake

Hurray for the Tick.

Spoons.

Posted by BumpyBoo

I know, what a hero! :)

Posted by SC

This thread is incredibly valuable. Very well written, but yes lots of very cool comic books get overlooked for not being from the big two or about superheroes in tights. CV should have this on their first page, its a great guide to some alternative books. A lot of these books I am unaware of too, I look forward to tracking them down. Is great seeing The System, Mercy and Nemi get shout outs too! I have heard of Saint Sinner, but now I need to track down. Thank you for this amazing blog, the irony is that like the books you recommend it might get lost in the shuffle of threads, but we who read appreciate greatly and and nice first blog!    

Posted by BumpyBoo

@SC said:

This thread is incredibly valuable. Very well written, but yes lots of very cool comic books get overlooked for not being from the big two or about superheroes in tights. CV should have this on their first page, its a great guide to some alternative books. A lot of these books I am unaware of too, I look forward to tracking them down. Is great seeing The System, Mercy and Nemi get shout outs too! I have heard of Saint Sinner, but now I need to track down. Thank you for this amazing blog, the irony is that like the books you recommend it might get lost in the shuffle of threads, but we who read appreciate greatly and and nice first blog!

Yes, I also appreciated the irony of that! Thank you, I do feel quite passionately about the comics I grew up reading, and I was quite dismayed to grow older and realise nobody really cares about them - comparatively, at least.

Posted by Jorgevy

nope. I dont mind if people like to read other stuff but I only read comics for the tights and the flights...

good list though, variety is the juice of life

Posted by BumpyBoo

Well, if that's what you like, then that's cool. Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things, you're quite right there! But thank you for taking the time to read it anyway :D

Posted by Jorgevy

@BumpyBoo: No problemo! just keep writing !

Posted by blackwolf0925

I am not really a comic book fan per say more of a manga reader myself. What I have notice myself with comics is that companies like Marvel and DC don't really like to branch out from there Superhero stories. There is not a lot of variety I see when it comes to them. I look at the books that I have in my collection and I see that there is a variety there from romance, comedy, sports, for teens, for adults, and even some for kids. My point is that if the big companies want to catch more of my interests they have give they obscure titles more of a push forward.

Posted by BumpyBoo

That's exactly my point, if you want to appeal to everyone then you have to offer a range of different things :) In fact, two of the books - Ectokid and Saint Sinner - were put out by a Marvel imprint called Razorline. Only problem is, they didn't really care about it (or at least that's the impression they gave), and it folded.

Edited by RedQueen

Strangely enough, I've actually read quite a lot of these; the book of bunny suicides (and the sequels) is hilarious. And the one about the lies to tell to small kids....

This is an awesome blog, and something a little different from the norm *thumbs up*. Yes, I agree that more people should read comic books -of any sort. Most of my friends, who don't read comics, have the misconception that all comic books are about superheroes in the most obvious sense. It's taken me forever to convince them otherwise.......

Posted by BumpyBoo

@RedQueen said:

Strangely enough, I've actually read quite a lot of these; the book of bunny suicides (and the sequels) is hilarious. And the one about the lies to tell to small kids....

This is an awesome blog, and something a little different from the norm *thumbs up*. Yes, I agree that more people should read comic books -of any sort. Most of my friends, who don't read comics, have the misconception that all comic books are about superheroes in the most obvious sense. It's taken me forever to convince them otherwise.......

Yay! Someone else who already knows about the bunnies! Couldn't believe they weren't already on here :D I'm very glad to have your support. Sadly, my friends are the same way. Thanks for reading :)

Posted by Imagine_Man15

Fantastic blog, and it opened my eyes to some books I'll have to read... wasn't aware of most of the things on your list, and most of them piqued my interest. I'm mostly a superhero comics reader, but I've begun to grow tired of the seeming lack of originality within the genre (this doesn't affect EVERY superhero book on the shelves, but enough of them that it gets off-putting).

Posted by BumpyBoo

I'm really glad you've found something here, that's exactly what I was hoping for :D You're right, there are superhero titles out there still providing original content and quality work, but I think there is far too little recognition for people who work outside of the mainstream.

Posted by minigunman123

Interesting, not bad.

Also, lol @ the Tick. I used to watch the cartoon show he had on TV. He's awesome.

Posted by BumpyBoo

Thank you :)

Posted by IrishX
@BumpyBoo
Nice write up.  I like any opportunity to mention the titles I like that don't get enough attention.  Many good titles listed in this thread here as well... Independent Love .

My own list from it... 
Hellboy / B.P.R.D.  
G.I. Joe  
The Goon 
Sin City  
Lady Mechanika  
Blacksad  
Project Superpowers / Black Terror 
The Rocketeer 
Carbon Grey 
The Walking Dead 
Last Man Standing 
The Spider  
Star Wars 
Elephantmen
Posted by BumpyBoo

Oh great, I didn't see that thread yet, nice find :) And thanks for reading! Always good to meet another follower of the road less traveled :D

Edited by feebadger

@BumpyBoo: Some of my all time indie favourites are HERE.

Your article is fantastic and much needed. I have always felt that there is not enough of an independent presence on teh Vine and its good to see someone coming in to help balance that. You highlight a lot of comic companies who seem to fall by the wayside as people focus more on companies like Image, Dark Horse and Vertigo, which are not necessarily as independent as people might think. there are so many truly indie companies who could use the support who are putting out truly innovative and exciting stuff. And, of course, i will always doff my cap to Fantagraphics who just refused to say die and have, year upon year continued to diversify the comic book world for all concerned.

Thank you for this BumpyBoo. Very inspiring.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@feebadger: Thank you very much, I enjoy giving the smaller companies the credit they deserve. I love Vertigo, but it still surprises me that there are some people who think it is some cool, quirky independent company! I have absolutely nothing against the big names, but I just wish that people would open their minds a little. I grew up reading things like this, and it's kind of disappointing when you grow up and realize that an awful lot of the titles you love, hardly anyone could give a crap about. They deserve so much more.

Posted by wildvine

Bump because I missed this, (despite knowing you forever) and so other people have probably missed it too. Will definitely hunt some of these down.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@wildvine: Oh my gosh, the first one! I forgot it existed XD