23 Comments
Posted by Jnr6Lil

@InnerVenom123 said:

Reminds me of this.

That's what I thought

Posted by Gambit1024

@InnerVenom123: That's one of my sources ;)

Posted by Gambit1024

@Kiltro95: Thanks, sir. Well the original only contained addition tidbits of info here and there. Mostly about the impact of more movies and video games and animated series. My professor told me to cut out all of that stuff when he was correcting it, so I did so. Stupid me didn't save the original, so even if I wanted to post it, I couldn't :/

This paper was specifically about the American superhero and its history and impact toward other media, so I wouldn't have stuff from the UK as well as their creators (Alan Moore was only mentioned because Watchmen was an extremely important point in the history). If I can take everything including that stuff, info on big villains such as Magneto, Doom, Red Skull, Joker, and Luthor, and the obvious things I've wanted to put but couldn't (Wolverine especially. I got some hate for that.), I could easily round out 20 pages like nothing. This paper, as long as it was, only took me hours to finish, mostly because I primarily use documentaries and actual comic books for resources instead of books on the subject (which there aren't that many of).

Posted by InnerVenom123

Reminds me of this.

Posted by Kiltro95

Great work on capturing the basics of american superhero history you say the original was ten pages long. Do you feature more on other characters from comic book history that were either firsts of their kind or just interesting? If possible I'd be interested in reading the original. (for example the 1st patriotic superhero the Shield, first woman to get her own comic book Sheena Queen of the jungle a britain character first published in 1937 arrived in US in 1938, and my personal favorite the first Superhero in publication history Springheel Jack the Terror of London.)

Posted by Lvenger

@Gambit1024: Nice. If only I had a chance to write about comic book superheroes in one of my subjects. I'd definitely get a good mark in that! :P

Posted by Gambit1024

Thanks! 9 pages. Initially it was 10, but teacher said it was too long

Posted by Lvenger

Wow this is simply awesome Gambit. This really hit the spot with the history student and comic nerd in me! I'm glad you got top marks for this brilliant paper! Shame that we missed out on the 'Bad Boy Fad' part of your paper though. How long is this paper?

Posted by Gambit1024

Rarely. I managed to find it online when I wrote it

Posted by Jnr6Lil

Does that special still come on?

Posted by Queso6p4

@Gambit1024: Nice! Glad to hear it.

Posted by Jnr6Lil

@Gambit1024 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

Nice history, Like the difference between Marvel and DC

There's also a special on the History Channel, Comic Book Superheroes Unleashed & Stan Lee's Superhumans

That's one of my sources. It's Unmasked, though, not Unleashed.

Ah.

Posted by Gambit1024

@Jnr6Lil said:

There's also a special on the History Channel, Comic Book Superheroes Unleashed & Stan Lee's Superhumans

That's one of my sources. It's Unmasked, though, not Unleashed.

Posted by Jnr6Lil

Posted by Gambit1024

@Queso6p4: Yessir, I got an A. :)

@Prodigy P: Thanks!

Posted by Prodigy P

Nice article, Gambit1024!

Posted by Queso6p4

Very nice. You can tell a lot of work went into this. Thanks for this breakdown as it's really informative and it's always nice to be reminded of how comics have developed and changed over the years. The background of Wonder Woman's creator is particularly interesting. I once did a very brief presentation in Mandarin about how comics reflect societal values and drew largely upon contrast between the Golden and current age. If you don't mind sharing, what did you get on this final?

Posted by foolkiller1

@Gambit1024 said:

@foolkiller1: Yep, but to be fair, this was when candy bars were for a penny. The rate at which comics started picking up the prices is pretty alarming too. Hell, in the 80's it was just over a dollar. Then in the 90's it just started racking up, quarter by quarter. $4.00 for, what, 32 pages is what we're paying now? That's a drastic change from what it used to be, and it'll probably just keep getting more expensive in years to come.

Still, it'll be interesting to watch how the industry shapes from here with everything moving to digital.

Sometimes for just 20 pages.

I know this was a long time ago, but seeing that compared to now is kinda mindblowing.

Posted by Gambit1024

@foolkiller1: Yep, but to be fair, this was when candy bars were for a penny. The rate at which comics started picking up the prices is pretty alarming too. Hell, in the 80's it was just over a dollar. Then in the 90's it just started racking up, quarter by quarter. $4.00 for, what, 32 pages is what we're paying now? That's a drastic change from what it used to be, and it'll probably just keep getting more expensive in years to come.

Still, it'll be interesting to watch how the industry shapes from here with everything moving to digital.

Posted by foolkiller1

64 pages for ten cents? damn.

Posted by Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: Yes it is, and it'll be the last one for a while (this was my final, lol)

Don't really have a choice either. Nobody to get drunk with, not to mention it's only a community college. No parties or frats or anything to be in even if I wanted to.

@ProRush: It really is, and I had a blast writing it. Tons of cool stuff to look through, and I didn't even write it all here. I left out a whole bunch of info on the "Bad Boy Fad" during the 70's-90's. That's where your Ghost Riders, Lobos, and Wolverines come into play. Villains too, and that's a whole other ten pages alone. :)

Posted by ProRush

Gotta admit it's so long i didn't read but i'm sure its fascinating :)

Edited by cattlebattle

Is this another term paper you turned into a blog??

Well at least your doing something at college and not just getting drunk all day.