1381 Comments
Edited by Baddamdog

@The Poet: I'd love to do this!

Could I handle Image comics please?

Posted by The Poet

@Baddamdog: sure!

Posted by harleyquinn12

Now for Archie, should my characters be from Archie proper, or the superheroes published by Archie Comics?

Posted by The Poet
@harleyquinn12: i'd say heroes...(know anything about red 5 or the other one?)
Posted by danhimself

I could do IDW....it may be a little difficult seeing as they don't have that many ongoings outside of Transformers and G.I.Joe but I can give trying to find some other characters a shot

Posted by The Poet
@danhimself: alright thanks!
Edited by Blue_Beetle_is_Blue

@danhimself: Yes Transformers would be awesome to put on the list!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by RazzaTazz

I will take Charlton

Posted by The Poet
@RazzaTazz: ok. thanks Razz tazz!
Posted by Liberty

Because we changed the rules a bit let me take Fox.  Not many viners have read the book from the 1930 and 40's like I have been.  Check out Mystery Men Comics 1-2-3.  Also I think silkcuts would take dynamite.

Posted by Liberty
@RazzaTazz: Awesomeness.  That is my second favorite one.  Actually it is my favorite but I am excited about the older companies.
Posted by PikminMania
@The Poet: @The Poet: Could I get DC?
Posted by Gambit1024

@Anyone Who Can Help: I want to nominate a certain character, but I don't know if he/she could be called a superhero per se...

Posted by PikminMania
@The Poet: Or maybe Mirage?
Posted by danhimself

@The Poet: question: are we limited to only single characters? could I for example use the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as one spot and the Ghostbusters as another?

Posted by The Poet
@PikminMania: please look at what is available. if you see one which is on the list, then tell me.

@Gambit1024: the character should be like a hero or a antihero. Like we know Joker is a villain...but it really depends on what the character is like currently in comics. If we did this thing a few years ago, then I could say Riddler because he helped out superheroes and such as a detective, though now he isn't considered a hero. does this character save/help people?

@Liberty: added.

@danhimself: lets stay with single characters (I'm hopping if we can pull this off we can do other such lists such as a team list, a villain list, etc)
Posted by Liberty
@The Poet
I made a mistake Archie/Archie Adventure Series/Red Circle/Mighty Comic Impact:  should be Archie/Archie Adventure Series/Red Circle/Mighty Comics/Impact:  Mighty Comics and Impact are separate companies.
Posted by Liberty
@harleyquinn12: Here is some help.
Posted by IrishX

@Liberty
Why is Top Cow separate and Image is with Wildstorm? I would think it would either be Image/Wildstorm/Top Cow (how it started) or DC/Wildstorm and Image/Top Cow (how it is now). 

Also I'm personally a little concerned that this format is going to lead to a bad list. I'm not sure many of those older publishers characters deserve to even be in a Top 100. I can just see many characters being left out that deserve to be there for characters who don't just to make sure some of these more obscure publishers are represented.

I'm also confused as too whether characters will be represented where they are most currently being published or where they were originally published. G.I. Joe (IDW) and Star Wars (Dark Horse) for instance both started as Marvel comics.

Posted by TheGoldenOne
Dammit, I wanted Marvel >.>
Posted by Billy Batson

So Liberty doesn't have Disney no more, can I have it? I already gave up DC >_______>

BB

Posted by Silkcuts

@IrishX: your right that Top Cow should be with Image if combining and Wildstorm separate or with DC.

@The Poet: Are we adding ABC?

@Liberty: you dropped dynamite?

Posted by turoksonofstone
@Silkcuts:  
He thinks you should grab it.
Posted by Silkcuts

@The Poet: Just to point out Vertigo is deep enough to have two lists: Creator-owned creations in where Jesse Custer and King Mob would be and then there is the envisioned characters where the DC list won't represent a few like Jonah Hex, Madam Xanadu, Wesley Dodds, Death of the Endless, Animal Man, Christopher Chance and of course John Constantine. I am not asking for you to split it Aztek love the imprint as much as I do so we can make a great list of either or or mixed. I just wanted to point this out to give characters their fair chance since both faces of Vertigo have so much depth.

I personally would love ABC (America's Best Comics). I think ABC is more important then some of the other choices such as Malibu. I don't think Epic should count as well since most of the original properties are now gone from the imprint since they are creator owned. Such as the Rick Veitch stuff is all at his own publishing house King Hell.

Posted by Silkcuts

@turoksonofstone said:

@Silkcuts: He thinks you should grab it.

If I can't convince The Poet to which Epic/Malibu for ABC then may be since we helped brainstorm a list already. But My love for Alan Moore really wants the ABC list.

Posted by Liberty
@IrishX:   Oh IrishX we are at odds again.  =)

1. As to your first question it is a matter of getting a broad amount of characters with one company but not too many.  DC or Marvel should not be mixed with anything.  That meant that between the three someone was going to be left out.  I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that was the way I thought they fit best.
  2. You shouldn't be concerned.  Any fluff character will be dropped as it is the best 100 not the best 160.  Also we should be picking out the best character.  Ghost for example from Dark Horse is one of the best characters ever.  If DC or Marvel owned the rights she would be selling constantly.  Dynamite should really pick up those characters and do something with them.  So, Dark Horse owns the rights to Ghost but hasn't done anything substantial with the character for over a decade.  That means most fans below thirty don't even know who she is.  As we know most comic fans are under thirty or there about.  Just because someone is not in the spotlight today doesn't tarnish there character.  If we wanted a popularity list we could just go to the comicvine list of most appearance and cut off the top 100 and be done.  Also many of these other characters from these companies have been bought by DC.  Like Charlton for example.  They are great characters swimming in a company that can't make the books because they are pumping out Superman and Batman book.  Look at the 52 launch.  Take out any book with a character who in in the Batman, Superman and Green Lantern universe and you will eliminate about half of the books.
  3. When helped make the 20 topics I intended for people to use anyone in that appeared for one of their companies.  Like TMNT are in everything it seems.  (The exception would be crossovers obviously)  All that said it is up to the Poet.
Hope that was helpful.
Posted by Liberty
@Billy Batson: Do you mean Dynamite?

@Silkcuts
  1. That would be fine with me if they were switched and had Top Cow/Image and then Wildstorm separate.  I thought it was good the way it was but who am I to stand in the way of democrat.  That said it is up to the Arbiter Poet. 
  2. I talked with Poet this morning about putting Charlton/Fawcett together and adding ABC/Milestone/First as one category as they are smaller than others not because they go together.  Then adding Quality Comics to Harvey.  For more variety.
  3. Yes.  Once the new categories were made I tried to get you but I think you were gone yesterday.  I did tell the Poet you may be interested and I was hoping he would hold it to be sure.
Posted by Billy Batson

@Liberty:

I had DC first but then changed it to Disney since another user wanted it and it was fine by me. Then in the PM The Poet said that I had to change it again because of you so I assumed you got Disney. I guess The Poet got mixed up?
BB

Posted by Liberty
@Billy Batson: I cannot tell you how sorry I am about that.  I really didn't mean to wreck everything for you like that.  Disney was dropped for lack of Superheroes.  That said if you or anyone else feels they are missing someone they can add them two the list with their three individual votes.

@Silkcuts said:

@The Poet: Just to point out Vertigo is deep enough to have two lists: Creator-owned creations in where Jesse Custer and King Mob would be and then there is the envisioned characters where the DC list won't represent a few like Jonah Hex, Madam Xanadu, Wesley Dodds, Death of the Endless, Animal Man, Christopher Chance and of course John Constantine. I am not asking for you to split it Aztek love the imprint as much as I do so we can make a great list of either or or mixed. I just wanted to point this out to give characters their fair chance since both faces of Vertigo have so much depth.

I personally would love ABC (America's Best Comics). I think ABC is more important then some of the other choices such as Malibu. I don't think Epic should count as well since most of the original properties are now gone from the imprint since they are creator owned. Such as the Rick Veitch stuff is all at his own publishing house King Hell.

This is my fault my friend.  There are a few companies that could have more than one like DC and Marvel for starters.  No one has more than one spot any more.  My thought was that the characters that are truly great will be added with everyone's bonus three picks.  For example say Batman is not on the DC list.  I know someone will add him in their bonus spot.  For example if you picked dynamite you could pick 5 Dynamite and have 3 Vertigo as your bonus.  As I said in the other post I am almost certain ABC will be added.  I wanted to add it myself but didn't want to play favorites.  I originally didn't include it because it has a lot less volumes.   The only company with that amount of volumes were added to companies that they went with, were bought  by or just had a lot of similar characters.  Archie is a good example.  Now if we have the miscellaneous category ABC/First/Milestone I will be happier and the world would be a better place.  Just trying to be fair and not play favorites.

@Silkcuts said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@Silkcuts: He thinks you should grab it.

If I can't convince The Poet to which Epic/Malibu for ABC then may be since we helped brainstorm a list already. But My love for Alan Moore really wants the ABC list.

We don't need to eliminate anyone as above.
Posted by Billy Batson

@Liberty:

Then I'm out, I guess.
BB

Posted by Liberty
@Billy Batson: Again.  I am really sorry.  Is there no other company that you liked or was there superheros from Disney that I missed?  Who were you thinking of using with Disney?  There is no reason that we can't keep discussing it.  I would think that would be part of the process.  We are going to be discussing the characters later anyway.  The better the system the better the product.

And, Again I am sorry that it happened the way it did.  It was made to better the list not to hurt you.
Posted by Billy Batson

@Liberty:

Don't be sorry. It's fine. Well there was DC and Vertigo but they have their representatives. Less work for me anyway.
BB

Posted by IrishX
@Liberty:  

I hope were not at odds. I certainly don't see it that way. Although I do think saying "If we wanted a popularity list we could just go to the comicvine list of most appearance and cut off the top 100 and be done." is unnecessary.  

Obviously it's not about most appearances but let's not act like that doesn't mean anything. Many of those characters have made the most impact in comics and have had much more signifigance than the lesser know ones. If someone really believes that some character that hasn't appeared in a comic since 1947 deserves to be on a list of top characters there should be a real good argument made for that otherwise it just becomes a random list of a few peoples favorite characters and then it really does become a popularity list. 

Not that big a deal and I'm willing to just go along with however people want to do things. I'm pretty confident that the characters I've chosen to represent Dark Horse are very deserving and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Posted by Bearded Justice

No one wants Dynamite??  I'll throw my hat into that ring
Posted by Liberty
@IrishX: No we are not I was joking.  You can tell because of my smiley face.   My other comment was just an example to make a point.  It was not personal in any way and, I don't know how it could be viewed as unnecessary.

but to the point.  I a way you are right.  However just because the company went out of business in 1947 does not mean people don't write stories about them.  What happens is there is a gap from the time they went out of business till the time they became public domain.  DC, Marvel, Dynamite, Dark Horse, ABC and countless other companies have taken these characters and make awesome stories.  Project Superpowers is just one hell of an awesome example.  Check it out it is awesome.  

Take a character like Blackhawk, or Captain Marvel (Billy Batson).  They were huge for decades.  Captain Marvel use to be what Superman is today and is considered one of the top ten heroes in any serious list of "greatest of all times" list, but because of legal reasons he dropped off the face of the earth for a couple decades.  Now he is owned by the company that ruined him in the first place.  Every once in a while though you will see a story about him that captures the glory of the hero.  Like Kingdom come and his appearance in the DCU made my kids huge fans.  He may not be seen as much but he is Huge.  A similar story could be made about Blackhawk.  All these older companies may not exist but the characters are being written about.  My example of Ghost earlier does not mean we won't see her in a story later.  Like I said Dark horse should sell their characters to Dynamite who is known for bringing these characters back to life.  You are right on the fact that if the character is to make the list there will have to be conceiving arguments made.  Almost half won't make the list as the bottom 60 will be cut from the bottom. 

Also don't take what I say too personal.  I am just trying to help out.  This is the Poet's show.
Edited by Liberty
@IrishX: lol  I just noticed you had Dark Horse.  I hope you don't think I was trying to sell the Ghost character.  Although she is one of my favorites =)
Posted by IrishX

@Liberty: I admit I sometimes have a hard to telling when people are joking and I didn't even notice a smiley face. I understand and I def. appreciate the value in characters who haven't been in much or are from the earlier days of comics. I actually own both volumes of Project Superpowers along with the Black Terror series so I'm with ya and I'm trying to be patient waiting for more from Dynamite on those.

Posted by Liberty
@IrishX: Oh I know.  I feel like I'm going through withdraw.  I bought everything I could get my hands on even all the four issue series and one shots.  It is the best universe to come out in the past 20ish years.
Edited by The Poet
@Baddamdog: Just letting you know that in additon to Image we are combining it with Top Cow...don't ask why...that possible for you?

@IrishX: @Liberty: @Silkcuts
Its been updated...this work?
Posted by The Poet
@Bearded Justice: hold on. I won't forget about you...I just need to fix the publishers quickly...

@Silkcuts: you have first dibbs...what publisher would you like? (also: do you think this new publisher order will work? I am going with people say, but have no idea about some of the publishers are like...)
Posted by Baddamdog
@The Poet: Ohh okay, so it's no longer Image/Wildstorm but Image/Top Cow? I don't mind but I would of loved to include Wildstorm in the list as well, but whatever's best for the list is best for the list 

Another question, when we compose the list, are we basing it on our own personal favourites or what we feel is the companies best characters?
Posted by The Poet
@Baddamdog: I'm sort of leaning toward publisher's best, but I also want you to actullly like the characters you are nominating, so maybe a mix between the two...at some point you might have to give reasons for submitting them for people to understand why this or that character is on the list...so pick characters you like, who also represent what the publisher is about...
Posted by Liberty
@The Poet said:
@Baddamdog: Just letting you know that in additon to Image we are combining it with Top Cow...don't ask why...that possible for you?

@IrishX: @Liberty: @Silkcuts:  Its been updated...this work?
Cool with me.
Posted by The Poet
@Liberty: alright! Just wanted to make sure!
Posted by Baddamdog
@The Poet: Ohh okay awesome, so we definitely have to put in 3 characters from other companies or is that optional?? 

Also, when do we submit our entries??
Posted by The Poet
@Baddamdog: no its up to you. you can submit anything you want just as long as the other 5 are part of the assigned publisher... (keep in mind that you need to order it greatest to least greatest)
Posted by Baddamdog
@The Poet: Ohh okay, thanks! :)
Posted by Liberty

We're halfway there.

1. Dynamite Entertainment:
  2. Acclaim Comics/Valiant Comics:
  3. Wildstorm Comics: 
  4. AC Comics:
  5. America's Best Comics/Milestone Comics/First Comics: 
  6. Harvey Comics/Quality Comics: 
  7. Epic Comics/Malibu Comics: 
  8. Dell Comics: 
  9. Gold Key Comics:
  10. Eclipse Comics:
Posted by IrishX

@Liberty: Bearded Justice said he would take Dynamite.

Posted by Bearded Justice
@IrishX said:

@Liberty: Bearded Justice said he would take Dynamite.

yeah if nobody else wants it I'd like Dynamite