11 Comments
Posted by thechessclub

@xerox-kitty said:

I think it's some sort of kitsch idea of aerodynamics. As if in the 50's there was the idea that moving the head-fin would help direct you in flight... but that would put too much pressure on the neck ;)

I like it for nostalgia value. It's quirky & very quaint in a B-Movie way. But that is DEFINITELY one suit in need of a revamp ;)

This.

Posted by fodigg

I love the headfin. Very ray-gun gothic.

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt

you cant take away Adams headfin    its iconic (kinda) and it works for him. 

Posted by Billy Batson

I like the fin... 

BB

Posted by MrSeaman70

Only the Star Wars clone troopers can make the fins look cool and bad @$$ :D 

Posted by Nova`Prime`

Definitely a throw back to the classic golden age of scifi adventure heroes.

Posted by ryu_talkative_batman

Congrats on getting featured, you deserve it, good article

Posted by InnerVenom123
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
I love the headfin. It's so bad. 
EPIC REFERENCE IS EPIC. 
Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir
I love the headfin. It's so bad. 
Edited by GundamHeavyarms

You have to understand that characters like Adam Strange are modeled after old school science fiction characters like john carter, buck rogers, and flash gordon.  The outfit, including the headfin says, "adventuring spaceman."  His costume was designed to look as out there as possible.  Same way as the rocketeer.  Does it help him fly, no, if anything the headfin would probably increase drag slowing him down.  Yes, it is dorky, it makes about as much sense as wearing a scarf while riding a motorcycle but some things just are the way they are.

Posted by xerox_kitty

I think it's some sort of kitsch idea of aerodynamics. As if in the 50's there was the idea that moving the head-fin would help direct you in flight... but that would put too much pressure on the neck ;)

I like it for nostalgia value. It's quirky & very quaint in a B-Movie way. But that is DEFINITELY one suit in need of a revamp ;)