200 Comments Refresh
Posted by pikahyper

@Billy Batson: Dunno if this is a good enough answer but the biblio being part of the overview page allows comics that are currently not on comicvine to be included and also other types of media that are not allowed on CV can be included. It can also be helpful if it includes detailed information otherwise not available on the issue or volume page, for example if a known comic writer wrote an introduction for a trade that is not info that would normally be available on the volume/issue page and might not even be marked as an association but could be on the writers page.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

This might be a stupid question but how do you actually create a wiki page rather than just editing a existing one?

Posted by Billy Batson

@spiderbat87 said:

This might be a stupid question but how do you actually create a wiki page rather than just editing a existing one?

Hover to the browse section and then pick a character/volume/concept/etc. and on the right corner should be add _____ button.
BB

@Billy Batson: Cheers dude
Posted by Billy Batson

@spiderbat87:

No problem. Great wiki point number, lol.
BB

@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87:

No problem. Great wiki point number, lol.
BB

lol yea my lucky number. BTW I cant find my character in the search bar and I need to so I can add the issues
Posted by Billy Batson

@spiderbat87:

Try adding his general information on the right.
BB

@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87:

Try adding his general information on the right.
BB

I have, I'm just waiting on it getting approved. it wouldn't let me add to recent issues or appearances though 
Posted by pikahyper

@spiderbat87: You can't create new pages without moderation until you get 5,000 points.

Edited by X35

i'm new here but can i get some feedback for some pages i helped update and clean up? Madam Masque, Frog-ManJack Truman

I'm not sure if i'm doing it right but i followed style on first page (also i didn't write all of it, some of it was stuff other people had already wrote) :)

Posted by pikahyper

@X35 said:

i'm new here but can i get some feedback for some pages i helped update and clean up? Madam Masque, Frog-ManJack Truman

I'm not sure if i'm doing it right but i followed style on first page (also i didn't write all of it, some of it was stuff other people had already wrote) :)

They look ok to me, you might want to break up some of those massive paragraphs though. Also for Masque's other media section the titles shouldn't be underlined (underline is rarely needed in the wiki), just make them h4's and underneath it it would be good to include links to the CV sister site Screened, like so:

Iron Man (1994)

Additional information on Screened.

Text

Iron Man: Armored Adventures

Additional information on Screened.

Text

Just makes it more convenient and further integrates the sites to an extent.

Just noticed upon reading occasionally words are missing that should be there or additional "s"'s are used when not needed, few misspellings also, is English your first language? If it is then it could be left over from previous editors but you should give each page a good proof-read out loud if possible so the mistakes become clear.

Posted by X35

@pikahyper: Well as I said i didn't write all of it, i mostly just updated/streamlined/cleaned up a lot of the character bio + missing appearances

i was lost when it came to the "other appearances" section since i've been using the bits in the first post of this topic as a template so i just left stuff i didn't know as is :)

Posted by pikahyper

@X35: ya that is why I asked if English is your first language, lot of editors here speak another language primarily and you really can tell and at least on the madam masque it does look like it was a non-english speaking writer.

Edited by X35

@pikahyper: Well my first language is English (but also can speak German but that's not important... just showing off ;p), it's mostly the Current Events/Origin/Creation/Major Story Arcs parts of that page i've renovated (as well as adding about 40 missing appearances for her). Before it was kinda just one big block of text.. i'm making no claims to be Shakespeare when it comes to writing, but i think i'm hopefully "improving" the pages a bit - i probably should've took a screenshot before i did anything :)

as for breaking up the paragraphs.. i don't entirely understand, i think they're fairly broken up already. :S

also Is there anything ordinarily should come after Character Evolution/Major Story arcs? I saw some pages (like Masque's) have sections on their powers and some others have stuff like height and eye color

Posted by pikahyper

@X35: Have you looked at any of the other characters that have been listed in this thread to use as reference material?

Specifically for the paragraphs I'm talking about the Origin (Masque and Truman), Powers & Abilities (Masque), Fear Itself (Frog-Man) & Other Media (Masque) sections, those are some big ass blocks of text. Just look at From-Man's origin section, nicely broken up.

As for what is to be on a page the style guide example is what should be used really but occasionally other headers can be introduced if they serve a significant purpose that betters the page you just have to make sure you use the correct header size as they each mean something different. Like I mentioned before though if you haven't looked at any of the characters linked to in this thread you really should to get some good examples of what is available and what is good to use.

Posted by pikahyper

@X35: oh and for Madame Masque I just changed some of your header size changes for Madame Masque; Earth-58163, Iron Man (1994) and Iron Man: Armored Adventures should all be h4's not h3's. In the other media section the primary header would be an h2, the sub-header for type of media like Novel, TV Show, Movie would all be h3's and the actual title of the media would be an h4.

Edited by X35

@pikahyper: ok

(i wrote frog man's origin bit out entirely so thanks :) )

imo masque and truman's origins are both pretty concise... the image might make it look bigger, but there's not a lot of text there tbh. :)

as for froggie's origin, i think it runs a bit too much and is kind of just a summary... i didn't write the fear itself bit but i'll break it up a bit :)

Posted by pikahyper

@X35: Ya I'm not saying they are not good origins but they are just big solid blocks of text, they should be broken up into smaller paragraphs so they are easily digested (read).

Edited by X35

@pikahyper: thanks for the help :)

i looked on wikipedia and noticed a few sentences on Madame Masque's page that are copied word for word (i didn't do it)... I'm rewording them now but there might be one or two similar sentences in some of the other bits that i haven't noticed :)

(looking closely a lot of the bits i didn't do seem to be from wikipedia or have been copied onto wikipedia... looks like i've got a long day ahead of me lol :S)

Posted by pikahyper

@X35: np :)

Plagarism happens here sadly, if you can fix it that's good if you can't report it.

Posted by X35

well it's just a case that a lot of the sentences are quite similar but i don't think that can be blamed since theyre both describing the same thing

stuff like:

comicvine: "Tony Stark ends up in a vegetative state after deleting the contents of his mind to protect the identities of the superheroes of the world, and Osborn stops the hunt for him. Whitney is not in agreement and sends Ghost to kill Tony, although he fails in this mission."

vs.

wikipedia: "When Osborn called off the hunt for Stark, due to his being in a persistent vegetative state, Masque decided to take matters into her own hands, and hired the Ghost to eliminate Stark, but Ghost failed in his task."

Posted by redleigh86

I'm willing to fill out the Justin Timberlake page, which is listed on the "bios needed done", but I'm not sure what the wiki layout is for real people who aren't creators... I can't seem to find any examples, as all the real people (non-creators) that I searched for had empty wikis. Do you want it done the same as creators, with a personal life and a career sections or...? lol

Posted by Renchamp

@redleigh86 said:

I'm willing to fill out the Justin Timberlake page, which is listed on the "bios needed done", but I'm not sure what the wiki layout is for real people who aren't creators... I can't seem to find any examples, as all the real people (non-creators) that I searched for had empty wikis. Do you want it done the same as creators, with a personal life and a career sections or...? lol

I think that the thing here is that the Justin Timberlake page exists because he's been added as a character. The info should deal with this aspect. There is a reason to add bio stuff, however, as the books he appears in are more making fun of him so a section may be needed about his life and why people would think it's funny. In sum, probably not a full life story, but a paragraph or two explaining the life he leads that would lead to him being included in a lampooning comic like MAD.

Posted by JediXMan

Question: is it cheating / against the rules if I just copy and paste from another article, and just reword it a little? Keep in mind that the article I am copying I also wrote, so I am not stealing from anyone, just saving myself a little work.

Posted by The Poet

@JediXMan said:

Question: is it cheating / against the rules if I just copy and paste from another article, and just reword it a little? Keep in mind that the article I am copying I also wrote, so I am not stealing from anyone, just saving myself a little work.

if you mean an article from CV, then sure.

if you mean an article from elsewhere, then yes it would be agianst the rules. It's other people's work so we really shouldn't steal it. Even if it is saving a little work, it could get ya banned :P

Posted by JediXMan

@The Poet said:

@JediXMan said:

if you mean an article from CV, then sure.

if you mean an article from elsewhere, then yes it would be agianst the rules. It's other people's work so we really shouldn't steal it. Even if it is saving a little work, it could get ya banned :P

Article from CV, yeah. And again, I wrote the article to begin with. I just want to reuse it and change some of the wording to fit the other character (both characters were in the same event and experienced mostly the same thing)

Posted by The Poet

@JediXMan: yeah, that would be fine. I've done that several times myself so it's fine.

Posted by kuonphobos

@pikahyper said:

@Red L.A.M.P.: Can you add the h2 changes I did for the story arcs to your style guide up above in its own little Story Arcs h3 so people don't go removing them? I spent almost a week going through all of the story arcs on the site cleaning the reading orders up and I've already run across some that people removed and I had to add back.

The headings being:

Collected Editions

Related Issues

or

Related Items

Non-U.S. Editions

and good examples of them in use can be found here and here.

See those lines across the page? One under "Collected Editions" One under "Related Issues" etc.? See them? How do you make them? Please. It may be a stupid question. It may be painfully obvious. But it seems to be the last obstacle standing between myself and some editing I would like to do. Thanks. A step by step description for a two year old would be great!

Posted by pikahyper

@kuonphobos: That is an H2, select the text to change, hover over the paragraph button and select Header 2.

H2

H3

H4

Also don't modify headers i.e. don't make them bold, italic,underlined or striked.

Posted by karen2012

Ultimate Spider Woman: Cool done?

Posted by RazzaTazz
@karen2012: I am not sure what you are getting at?
Posted by karen2012

I just wanted to know someone's opinion about this video!

Posted by pikahyper

@karen2012: to add to the Spider-Woman wiki page? videos are not allowed on wiki pages.

Posted by Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

@karen2012: to add to the Spider-Woman wiki page? videos are not allowed on wiki pages.

But good amount of movie pages have trailers :o

BB

Posted by pikahyper

@Billy Batson: eh movies are a grey area.

Posted by takashichea

@pikahyper:

What about Light Novels? Do we add them to this community?

Posted by RazzaTazz
@takashichea: If they have comic like panels in them then it is ok.  
Posted by takashichea

@RazzaTazz:

I was afraid of that. I heard most have one or two page of illustrations, but I haven't read one.

Posted by Xanni15

Should every character generally have the same basic setup on their page? Like what is described in the character article section.

Posted by RazzaTazz
@Xanni15: Yes absolutely
Edited by takashichea

What about company pages? I created the Square Enix page since they have a magazine called Gangan Joker which has some manga titles. I only have Tari Tari at the moment.

My format was

• Overview
  • Japanese Titles

I probably changed the second one since it doesn't apply to all companies. Plus, the volume sub section makes the idea of having a bullet list of volumes or works redundant. I wasn't sure what to add.

Edit:

Cool, someone added Kingdom Heart characters and that art book for Final Fantasy 7.

Posted by pikahyper

@takashichea: treat Square Enix like any other publisher page, both those headers are unnecessary and we really don't need a list of titles.

There are Kingdom Hearts manga so the characters had to be added, that art book should actually be deleted but a glitch is locking it.

Posted by takashichea

@pikahyper:

I looked at DC Comics page and other publisher pages, and I added a history section. Though, I have the info on history yet, and I added a list of periodical magazines. Thanks for helping me with the style.

Posted by pikahyper

@takashichea: if you ever add any of those magazines to the wiki make sure you remove them from that list as the data would be redundant and un-needed.

Posted by Xanni15

@RazzaTazz:

If I'm adding a major story arc to a characters page, can all the comics that fall under the same story arc go under the same one even if they're in different comics?

Posted by RazzaTazz
@Xanni15: Major Tory Arcs on character pages should be summaries of the story arcs, it is not necessary to put every issue in the story arc.  That information should go on a story arc page.  
Posted by Xanni15

In general which section would be best to add in family members and relatives?

Posted by RazzaTazz

@Xanni15: I think it works best either in origin or character evolution, but it is nice to read it as a narrative not as a list.

Posted by Xanni15

@RazzaTazz: Thank you. :]

Posted by Xanni15

Regarding public domain characters, are those pages allowed to be copied? I've seen it done and didn't know if I should change it or not.