47 Comments
Posted by SandMan_

...So first Superman, now Green Lantern?

LoL...

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@sandman_:

Firstly, Goku was never based on Superman. That was a comparison made by the U.S. audience. Goku is based on Son Goku from the ancient Chinese story, "JOURNEY TO THE WEST". DRAGON BALL was originally designed as a parody of that story. I only mentioned Green Lantern, becasue they're galactic police.

Posted by SandMan_

@foxxfireart: Dragon Ball Goku, yes. DBZ Goku on the other hand...Its inspired by Superman. Toriyama is actually a Superman fan.

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@sandman_:

Toriyama's Superman

I actually like Toriyama's version of Superman. I'm pretty excited for Toriyama's new series.

Edited by jumpstart55

Sounds awesome,i cant wait to read it. Its good to see that Toriyama is trying something different.

Posted by XImpossibruX

I thought they were continuing Dragonball after BoG..... now this... wahhh

@sandman_ said:

@foxxfireart: Dragon Ball Goku, yes. DBZ Goku on the other hand...Its inspired by Superman. Toriyama is actually a Superman fan.

Every superhero is somehow inspired by Superman... since ya know.. he was the first.

Posted by Perezite

@sandman_:

Firstly, Goku was never based on Superman. That was a comparison made by the U.S. audience. Goku is based on Son Goku from the ancient Chinese story, "JOURNEY TO THE WEST". DRAGON BALL was originally designed as a parody of that story. I only mentioned Green Lantern, becasue they're galactic police.

You mean, Son Wukong?

Edited by FoxxFireArt

@perezite:

You are correct that is the Chinese pronunciation. I was using the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji.

Posted by AweSam

@sandman_: It's called inspiration. Comic writers get it all the time from rival companies.

I'm definitely going to give it a try. Its been a long time since Toriyama did anything major, so it's a bit risky. He's either fresh with ideas, or they pressured him enough to just put ink on paper. Hopefully it'll turn out good.

Posted by NeonPheonix

It looks good but it can't be better then dragon ball

Edited by ARMIV2

Ooooooooooooooh! I'm-a have to look into this!

Posted by Strongarm

sweet

Posted by Black_Arrow

Please Toriyama dont put power levels, put feats

Posted by Ms. Omega

Nice cant wait for this.

Posted by LimpoyzLoan

This is what I've been waiting for.

Posted by comicace3

Nice I'll get to reading that soon! And Goku was not inspired by supes. They may have similar origin story but some of their powers are completely different. I've seen goku save the universe and his battles seems to be more about saving a galaxy than just the earth.

Posted by Perezite

Please Toriyama dont put power levels, put feats

This.

Posted by Perezite

Nice I'll get to reading that soon! And Goku was not inspired by supes. They may have similar origin story but some of their powers are completely different. I've seen goku save the universe and his battles seems to be more about saving a galaxy than just the earth.

And I've seen Superman save an entire Multiverse...twice. And I know he's done so a few more times...

Posted by Decoy Elite

Neat!

Posted by LimpoyzLoan

@perezite: *With the help of basically everyone in the DC Universe

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@ms__omega: @limpoyzloan: @armiv2:

I'm really looking forward to this, as well. I may even post weekly reviews of the chapters. I'm loving my digital WSJ subscription. It's a steal. Getting a year of this weekly magazine in English for $26.

Edited by DeathSamurai

Is it in the same universe as Dragon Ball?

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

@foxxfireart: I'v never been a fan of DB but this seems pretty cool, I like the design. Can you download the app on a laptop?

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@jonny_anonymous:

I know that you can also read the series on the computer. That's how I get my screencaps for reviews and such. Just got to http://shonenjump.viz.com/ They have a free preview on that page that shows you some chapters of some the series they publish.

The subscription also gets you the latest chapters of ONE PIECE, NARUTO, BLEACH, TORIKO, CROSS MANAGE, NISEKOI, ONE-PUNCH MAN, and the color edition of DRAGON BALL Z. It comes out every Monday, and it has roughly 200 or more pages.

@foxxfireart: I can only find apps for the Iphone/pad which I don't have :- \ I can only read it if you can do it straight off my laptop

Posted by Perezite

@perezite: *With the help of basically everyone in the DC Universe

*With the help of Goku and his friends and allies.

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@jonny_anonymous:

You should be able to read it on your laptop via the website. I also use the Kindle Fire to download the magazine, and that's an Android device. I use the VIZ Media app.

Go to that website http://shonenjump.viz.com/ , and click on the Try A Free Preview on the front page. That's a flash viewer to see what it's like.

Being a member, sometimes they also post promotional codes for free manga.

Posted by Cybrilious4

@foxxfireart: Oh you can get it on Kindle? I'll do that, Thanks! £1.99 a month is a bargain.

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@jonny_anonymous:

If you have questions, you can always contact them on Twitter @shonenjump. They're really good at responding to questions and helping readers.

Posted by comicace3

@perezite: Multiverses? and are we talking about our superman or a different, much more powerful version? There is only one goku but their are many different versions of supes.

Posted by Perezite

@perezite: Multiverses? and are we talking about our superman or a different, much more powerful version? There is only one goku but their are many different versions of supes.

Pre and Post Crises Supes.

Posted by comicace3

@perezite: What?! Can I have scans of him saving a multiverse? Or did he need help.... Not saying goku hasn't had any help saving the universe and possibly dimensions.

Posted by SoA

as a dragonball fan i can't wait , besides everything dragonball and dr slump i have never read any of his other stuff

Posted by Marshall_Long

Looks good but I heard a rumor that it was only going to be 10 chapters.

Posted by danhimself

wasn't there a rumor going around a while back that he was going to do a new Dragon Ball series that continued from Battle of Gods?

Posted by Z3RO180

@foxxfireart: The name of the main character in journey to the west is Sun Wukong not Son Goku. Son Goku is just another name for Goku and Goku is some what based of off Superman.

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@danhimself: @marshall_long:

As far as rumors go. I've not be able to confirm anything about the length of this new series. Even if it's 10 chapters. That's enough to make a volume, and I'm sure it's going to be fun. It also might make it easier to review. Toriyama is 58 years old. I doubt he wants to work on another 10 year epic.

About BATTLE GODS, that rumor is about a possible new anime series. I kind of doubt it. They've been doing movies and specials, but I can't see them actually trying another long running series. That's Toei Animation. They aren't really in need of new anime. ONE PIECE is outselling everything.

Edited by Havenless
@perezite said:

You mean, Son Wukong?

@z3ro180 said:

@foxxfireart: The name of the main character in journey to the west is Sun Wukong not Son Goku. Son Goku is just another name for Goku

IT'S SAN!!! SAN! SAN! SAN! Not Son! I refuse to believe any of you have manga experience and are still making this preadolescent mistake. My 6 year old niece knows it's San, she can even spell it!

Posted by Perezite

@foxxfireart said:

@sandman_:

Goku is based on Son Goku

@perezite said:

You mean, Son Wukong?

IT'S SAN!!! SAN! SAN! SAN! Not Son! I refuse to believe any of you have manga experience and are still making this preadolescent mistake. My 6 year old niece knows it's San, she can even spell it!

Actually, it's Sun Wukong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong

Don't you feel like the nickname for Richard, huh, Mr. Hotsy-Totsy?

Edited by Havenless

@perezite:

My mistake was only because of yours. Sun is fine, you calling him Son is definitely not.

Posted by danhimself

@foxxfireart: I kind of wish that he would and set it at exactly the same time as GT just so everyone will finally get it through their heads that GT is noncanon

I also kind of remember a rumor a while back about a series taking place during Dragon Ball while Goku and Krillin are training with Roshi

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@perezite: @havenless:

From Japanese wikipedia

Okay, here's a little lesson for you in kanji. Japan and China often use the same characters but pronounce them differently, and a single kanji doesn't have a single pronunciation. Some have several.

The kanji that makes up Son (孫) is actually used to mean "grandchild" (mago) in regular conversation. That's why Goku was a grandchild in the Toriyama's story. When pronounced as a name, 孫 can also be pronounced as いく (Iku), すん (Sun), そん (Son), and まご (Mago).

DRAGON BALL (Japanese) is a parody of JOURNEY TO THE WEST (Chinese). He's only loosely based on Sūn Wùkōng (Chinese pronunciation). In Japan. the character's name is pronounced as "Son Gokū" (even in their translation of JOURNEY).

Edited by Havenless

@foxxfireart said:

@perezite: @havenless:

From Japanese wikipedia

Okay, here's a little lesson for you in kanji. Japan and China often use the same characters but pronounce them differently, and a single kanji doesn't have a single pronunciation. Some have several.

The kanji that makes up Son (孫) is actually used to mean "grandchild" (mago) in regular conversation. That's why Goku was a grandchild in the Toriyama's story. When pronounced as a name, 孫 can also be pronounced as いく (Iku), すん (Sun), そん (Son), and まご (Mago).

DRAGON BALL (Japanese) is a parody of JOURNEY TO THE WEST (Chinese). He's only loosely based on Sūn Wùkōng (Chinese pronunciation). In Japan. the character's name is pronounced as "Son Gokū" (even in their translation of JOURNEY).

That's interesting and everything, but 'Son' in romanji is pronounced 'Soan'. If you want to pronounce it like 'Sawn', it would have to be spelled 'San'. San is the official romanji suffix meaning 'mr.' or 'mrs.', respectfully.

I don't know about all that Chinese stuff, but Son is just wrong.

And if you're using Wikipedia to back your arguments, then you've already lost. I can go over and change that to 'Sen' or 'Sown' any time I want, and then everyone will probably start thinking THAT is the correct term. One of the guys above you probably filled out that page.

Posted by Argothor

I hope they make an anime version.

Posted by FoxxFireArt

@havenless:

This Japanese card say something different. The hiragana used on this card, and every card and merchandise I can find, spells it using Son Gokū (そん ごくう). This is an official Bandai card. I've never found anything that uses さ (sa).

Posted by FoxxFireArt

Just a few more hours until Toriyama's new series makes its grand official debut. Though technically, it already came out in Japan due to the 13 hour time difference.