29 Comments
Posted by BumpyBoo

So glad this was bumped, forgot how awesome it was ^_^

Posted by marvel_dc_heroes_villains

@mitrageist: Yeah, you can disagree with a viewpoint. But getting actively offended by a work of fiction is a waste of time and energy.

Posted by Stealth_Warrior

Lois C.K is awesome.And the op of this thread is rigth.

Posted by JetiiMitra

Anyone offended by anything fictional is an idiot, IMO.

I disagree. Fiction is often used as a vehicle for the author's personal viewpoints. If those viewpoints differ enough from the consumer's, I don't see why the consumer shouldn't be offended.

Now if you're talking purely about entertainment fiction then I could see what you mean.

Posted by GraniteSoldier

@strider92: Comedy is meant to make light of serious situations, at least that's always been my belief. Some of my personal favorites are Lewis Black, Chris Titus, Patrice O'Neal, And Bill Burr (just to name a few). People honestly like feeling offended because it gives them a chance to be self-righteous and stand on their soap box. Comedians aren't meant to be taken seriously, it's as simple as that.

Posted by marvel_dc_heroes_villains

Anyone offended by anything fictional is an idiot, IMO.

Edited by mikemctighe

To me, I think the reflect of this can be seen too: people who use comedy as ground for legitimate life commentary. Think about all the bits Louis CK does about 'white privilege' (despite not being white). Jokes about getting in a time machine and being able to "travel anywhere back in time". I know people who will literally recite these as if they've discovered something about race relations.

Now I find (found -- now that he's popular, I don't like him as much) Louis CK hilarious but I would like to murder people who think his comedy about race relations should somehow be discussed intelligently. Same with the Daily Show. People forget comedians sacrifice actual truth for a laugh. The vague truth people find in comedy is basically due to the same thing that gives cold readers an audience: make a vague, emotional statement, and most people are bound to identify with it.

This is why rape and dead baby jokes play better in private with your friends, than on stage. On stage there's bound to be a stranger in the audience who could, may, find that offensive. In a dorm room at 2am you probably know the three people there you told the joke to well enough to know whether or not they'd be offended.

Posted by Strider92

I don't know man, I'v heard some pretty sick jokes said straight out of spitefulness before.

There's a difference between making a joke and saying things out of intolerance or spite. What i'm saying is you can't have a go at a comedian who is telling said jokes because of the fact its his job to take the piss out of everything and anything regardless of content.

Through the magic of comicvine we have actually already met on a few topics........theres some magic fairy out there that seeks out a draws Welsh and English people together just so they can make crude jokes about each others culture.

Posted by Batmandemon23

Well some comedians do make decent arguments about humanity like george Carlin and Lewis black

Posted by AweSam

I like comedians who have the balls to hit the sensitive subjects. If someone gets offended, then watch something else.

Edited by The Stegman

I agree, but mostly because it takes a lot to offend me too. I like many types of jokes and comedians. From the clean ones like Jim Gaffigan, to the raunchy ones like Louis CK.

Posted by lykopis

Comedians - no. There should be nothing too serious it can't take on and anything else would be censorship. If anything, it brings out what is out there in society - ugly or not.

A joke that is meant to specifically offend a certain group of people in a public setting, just for the sake of it? Sure, go right ahead if you want -- but if someone challenges you on it - so be it. Just like you should be able to share the joke, just as fair for someone to call you out on it. If it's funny, it's funny. If it's not, it's not.

Posted by thetonester89

If it's a comedian who is making the joke then I have no problem with it. If it's a bunch of us guys hanging around I have no problem with it either. I do have a problem with comments which put down certain groups of people and people trying to pass it off as funny but like I said if it's a show then it's part of the entertainment.

Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf

It's because society is growing into a culture of victims, where anything that mildly offends you is considered grounds for public outrage. People no longer have a tolerance towards opposing views, rather than allowing them to exist, people think they have the moral high ground now, and actively try to denounce it.

I think the following quotes adequately defines contemporary society:

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

I don't know man, I'v heard some pretty sick jokes said straight out of spitefulness before.

Edited by DeathpooltheT1000

Tracy Morgan got blasted for making gay jokes, he was making jokes about how gays and society had double standards about gays, how if you are gay people belive good things about you, not only that, he was saying that if they wanted respect they should give respect and things like that.

If you say gay people is not special you are wrong and you are a mosnter, WHAT THE F IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

Kramer, he made a joke about a person who had little no respect for him and he give the favor back.

Dane Cook, i mean the guy is hated for the fact he is not going with the status quo of comedy.

Modern Family sucks, Family Guy is less funny every new episode, South Park has been overrated since season 2, American Dad would be a better show if McFarlane let his pollitical and social ideas one side.

Regular Show is the best comedy show on tv, why?

They dont care, they just try to do their best, they dont care for nothing else.

What happen, Airplane had child molestation jokes, racist jokes, whore jokes, sex jokes and all this amazing jokes we dont see today.

Everybody is doing Religious jokes, because that is ok, but if everybody is doing it, it means is not funny anymore, is overused.

It looks you cant say nothing negative about today society, so what is the point of comedy?

Also the whole rape jokes:

You know how many jokes about killing a suicide there is in the world.

Why is rape an special type of evil/wrong?

Posted by laflux

@bumpyboo said:

I absolutely 100% agree with this. And you are awesome :)

I think that, while it is understandable why people are sensitive toward certain types of joke, as you say: if you don't like it, don't watch it, don't read it, stop choosing to be offended and get on with your life. Also, I think that there is a risk of serious hypocrisy once you start making decisions as to what can or cannot be joked about. For example "I don't think people should laugh at rape because I was raped, but LOL at that cancer joke" :/ By applying these kinds of odd subjective morals to comedy, you run the risk of becoming the most spiteful of the bunch behind that veil of apparent morality or political correctness, wanting to laugh at everyone's problems but your own. Or just as bad, the kind of killjoy who believes one mustn't make mean jokes, not ever, because someone's feelings might get hurt.

Now don't get me wrong, intent is a major factor here. The purpose must be the joke. A joke as a vehicle for hatred is not comedy, in the same way that freedom of speech is not a license to harass folk. But hell, what do I know? Brass Eye fans have virtually no comedic moral compass.... ;P

@strider92 meet @bumpyboo. @bumpyboo meet @strider92 :P

Edited by Chaos Prime

Problem i have with the majority of current stand up comedians is that imo they aint all that funny & it seems the material is all the same apart from being delivered in a different way shock tactic wise.

Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale

Yep.

Edited by BumpyBoo

I absolutely 100% agree with this. And you are awesome :)

I think that, while it is understandable why people are sensitive toward certain types of joke, as you say: if you don't like it, don't watch it, don't read it, stop choosing to be offended and get on with your life. Also, I think that there is a risk of serious hypocrisy once you start making decisions as to what can or cannot be joked about. For example "I don't think people should laugh at rape because I was raped, but LOL at that cancer joke" :/ By applying these kinds of odd subjective morals to comedy, you run the risk of becoming the most spiteful of the bunch behind that veil of apparent morality or political correctness, wanting to laugh at everyone's problems but your own. Or just as bad, the kind of killjoy who believes one mustn't make mean jokes, not ever, because someone's feelings might get hurt.

Now don't get me wrong, intent is a major factor here. The purpose must be the joke. A joke as a vehicle for hatred is not comedy, in the same way that freedom of speech is not a license to harass folk. But hell, what do I know? Brass Eye fans have virtually no comedic moral compass.... ;P

Posted by thespideyguy

They wouldn't make these jokes if most people didn't find them funny. Good job Strider.

Edited by Strider92

@cattlebattle: Ah yeah I see what you're saying. Should have made myself clearer.

Edited by cattlebattle

@strider92: Yeah but I was thinking your were likening it to the fact that they were just fiction written by writers. I just think that there is a hint of truth behind the comedians opinion, like when a comic will say "he hates everyone", then starts riffing on certain people, of course he really doesn't hate everybody but he is more or less insulting a wide variety of people and thats probably how he really feels to an extent. Another example would be like Carlin saying he wishes all religous people should be shot......there is probably some part of him that wished that true.

Some comics will just do discourteous material for shock value though, and the fact they find it funny people get offended so easily, like Anthony Jeselnik or Jimmy Carr, those guys more or less just do it for entertainment value

Posted by Strider92

@cattlebattle: I was referring to it in principle not literally saying comic material is like comedic material. Joker is designed to entertain, as are jokes. Joker is not real just based on the what the worst human psycho could be capable of in real life, jokes involving hypothetical scenarios are also not real but are drawn from some awful things that occur in real life. etc.... What i'm trying to say is that both we're designed to entertain (albeit in different ways) and both contain very disturbing material and yet one is berated and one isn't.

Posted by cattlebattle

My point was not what the comedian thinks or feels per say my point is that its his job to make you laugh. It is most likely born of what they find funny and their feelings on said subject what i'm saying is they are doing this to attempt to make you laugh. Its their job. If you don't like it don't watch it or listen to it. My main point here is that just because you find a joke about something deemed criminal or such doesn't mean you condone it or makes you cheapen the act which seems to be how some people tend to think.

Oh yeah, definitely, I agree with that. In your closing comment you just liken the material to a comic books material, which I didn't think was true.

Posted by Strider92

While I don't really agree with your analogy and I actually think some jokes about more sensitive material are actually somewhat born out of actual real feelings the comedian has toward a subject....I don't think when some writer is writing about Carnage killing people it is him exploring his "inner murderer"

My point was not what the comedian thinks or feels per say my point is that its his job to make you laugh. It is most likely born of what they find funny and their feelings on said subject what i'm saying is they are doing this to attempt to make you laugh. Its their job. If you don't like it don't watch it or listen to it. My main point here is that just because you find a joke about something deemed criminal or such doesn't mean you condone it or makes you cheapen the act which seems to be how some people tend to think.

Jim Jeffries is awesome btw.

Yeah that guy cracks me up......as you can see I chose one of his tamer skits lol

Edited by cattlebattle

While I don't really agree with your analogy and I actually think some jokes about more sensitive material are actually somewhat born out of actual real feelings the comedian has toward a subject....I don't think when some writer is writing about Carnage killing people it is him exploring his "inner murderer"...its just absolute fiction.

People have nothing else to do these days except be offended, complain, and refuse that they are wrong about anything.

Jim Jeffries is awesome btw.

Edited by dccomicsrule2011

Nice a very well put and well thought of asessment,good job.

Posted by dondave