12 Comments
Posted by Cap10nate

@razzatazz: I love looking at that stuff in older books. I have about 100 or so from late 60s to early 70s. I think it is just another factor on why those books went up in value while most modern books probably never will. People used to enjoy their books and pass them on to friends, cut them up, throw them in backpacks, etc. It didn't matter as long as you could read them because very few people actually cared about the value of the book 30 years from when they had it. That kept the supply of books in good condition low. Whenever people realized they could make money from collecting these things, everybody started reading their books once before bagging and boarding them. Now the supply will always be high for near mint books for just about anything from the early 90s on keeping the value low.

Posted by akbogert

@v_scarlotte_rose: Especially for a poster which is part of a comic. I mean, I don't generally care for standalone art that has text boxes on it, so the "collectible poster that's part of the reading experience" thing didn't really do much for me.

Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose

@akbogert: O_O That's probably the most ridiculous and terrible comic book gimmick I've ever heard of.

Edited by akbogert

@v_scarlotte_rose: not stapled, but glued (that weird sticky rubbery glue). You couldn't read those pages without removing the poster from the book and unsticking its folded corners.

@akbogert said:

One thing I just thought of: DC just charged $4.99 for Superman Unchained, a comic which could literally not be read without removing some of the pages. Perhaps asking people to damage their own books is not an entirely dead concept.

Was that fold out actually stapled shut?!

Posted by akbogert

One thing I just thought of: DC just charged $4.99 for Superman Unchained, a comic which could literally not be read without removing some of the pages. Perhaps asking people to damage their own books is not an entirely dead concept.

Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale

I freak out if I get finger prints on them >_>

I don't think I could ever deliberately damage a comic book, not even one I didn't like.

It's a good thing I don't like digital comics, otherwise I'd be freaking out about having to peel off the digital code stickers.

I wonder if comics with the digital code sticker still in them will be worth more than ones without it. My guess would be yes, but I don't know how much of a difference it would be.

Posted by AweSam

I'm not a collector of anything and I only buy digital. I would definitely cut up some comics for that belt buckle, albeit I don't usually wear belts. Once I read a comic, it loses its value to me. The first comic I ever bought was an older Teen Titans one and I threw it in the trash when I finished reading it. It had no place on my bookshelf and it was just a waste of space anywhere else. I would actually consider getting physical comics just for that belt buckle. I love Superman.

Edited by Renchamp

I fancy myself a reader and collector. I would never cut up a cover, nor any part of the issue inside - even if it wouldn't hurt the content. In fact, I left in all the cards Marvel tossed in their comics from the 90s. I just like keeping things fresh, yo.

Posted by Kal'smahboi

I wouldn't cut one up today, but I think that things were different back then. They were still viewed as mostly for younger audiences, and the comics weren't gloss-coated for protection like they are now. They just weren't meant or constructed to be collectibles (not that people didn't collect them.)

And yeah, today they would just have a QR code to scan or a password or number to punch in. Comic companies wouldn't dare make a comic that's meant to be cut into in this day and age.

Interesting bit of history, though :)

Posted by akbogert

Yeah, I think this sort of thing would be difficult to pass on in the same fashion today. With the advent of digital, one of the major reasons people have for buying print in the first place is the collectability/preservation aspect, which cutting off part of the book would obviously undermine. And books cost a lot these days -- I'm pretty sure comparatively more than they did forty years ago -- so it'd be hard to justify buying two copies, one to keep and one to mutilate.

I agree that something with codes or QR inside the book (much the same way they currently deal with digital copies in Marvel books) would be the way any promotion like this went today. It'd also be interesting to see whether this was opened up to digital readers, or whether it (like many things) would be exclusive to people who bought hard copies of their comics.