56 Comments
  • 56 results
Edited by Veshark

I won't go so far as to call them more entertaining than DC/Marvel books, but Valiant is pretty fantastic. They're not exactly groundbreaking or revolutionary, but their books are definitely fun to read. X-O Manowar and Shadowman, in particular. Bloodshot's not bad, though not of the same caliber. Overall consistent quality in both writing and art.

Posted by Xwraith

X-O Manowar is probably my favorite comic right now. And if Ninjak ever gets his own ongoing Valiant will be the only publisher with more than one book I'm reading.

Posted by i_like_swords

I have Shadowman #0 which was very impressive, and I've ordered the #1-5/6 trade. Also planning on picking up Quantum and Woody because it looks like it'll be pretty humorous from the ad I read. I like how the indie companies manage to put together so many quality books, and they don't all have to be massive controversial crossover events. I like the solo books more most of the time. I'll probably start following Valiant more in the future.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

@strider92: I agree, I'v also sacrificed all my DC/Marvel books so I can pick up every Valiant book. I started with X-O and Harbinger and they where that amazing I just started putting every book on my pull. The creators at Valiant love these characters and all they wan't to do is write amazing storys with them, there is no advertising ploys, no gimmicks, no cinematic universe synergy crap and the result is amazing quality books that are far better than anything DC and Marvel have.

Posted by laflux

@k4tzm4n - Do have give Strider approval :P

I'm already following Bloodshot and its really good. I'm thinking of putting a respect thread up for him actually.

Archer looks pretty good, as does shadwoman.....

Posted by TDK_1997

Bloodshot is an amazing book and it is above some Marvel and DC books and I can't wait to see Quantum and Woody.

Posted by SmashBrawler

Valiant's amazing, I love everything from them I'm reading.

Posted by Pokergeist

@strider92: Awsome blog. Just had to say this tho. Your not a fan of Supernatural titles, yet you love Darkness..... just saying ;)

Posted by Strider92

@strider92: Awsome blog. Just had to say this tho. Your not a fan of Supernatural titles, yet you love Darkness..... just saying ;)

Oh snap I knew i'd forgotten one! Yes the Darkness is one of the exceptions to this rule!

Edited by Pokergeist

@cadencev2 said:

Oh snap I knew i'd forgotten one! Yes the Darkness is one of the exceptions to this rule!

I plan on reading Shadow Man. I do love my Spawn, Ghost Rider, Werewolf By Night, and Stephen King's Marvel Series. Bit of a Super Natural fan.

I also might still pick up Bloodshot, as I love everything I had seen from him. Being a fan of Ultimate Captain America, Ultimates, Space Marines, Terminator, Mass Effect, I am in the Sci Fi Super Soldier thing as well. lol.

Posted by Strider92

@cadencev2: Yeah Bloodshot is pretty awesome. If you do get into his series also check out Harbinger Wars because Bloodshot's been awesome in that so far.

Edited by Killemall

@strider92: Ok lets give this a try. I am not much into street levels and i think you more or less know what kind of comics and characters i am into. Give me a suggestion please, i will totally check it out, i am free the whole day tomorrow :)

Posted by Strider92

@killemall: Ah crap putting me on the spot :p. Errmmm I would try reading either Harbinger #1 or X-O Manowar #1. I would even recommend giving Harbinger a shot until issue 2 (thats when some serious sh*t goes down).

Posted by Killemall

@strider92: Lets starts with Harbinger first, i can find few issues from 2012 and few old ones from 1992. I'll give the 2012 one a try. Do they have a subscription deals? If i like it, totally going to subscribe some , i am currently flushed with cash for few months before i get back to my normal state of being bankrupt :p

Edited by Pokergeist

@strider92: Sigh, I first need to make some more money to keep buying books. As of now I have (1) Metal Gear Solid Graphic Novel Omnibus, (3) Spawn Graphic Novels, (4) Ultimate Hard Backs, (2)Alien vs Predator Omnibuses, and up to 300 dollars of Warhammer 40k Graphic Novels on my to order list.

So maybe next year with Tax Income :/

Posted by Strider92

@killemall: You can read the 1992 run if you like but you don't need to as the 2012 ongoing rebooted the entire series so really its not necessary.

Posted by LimpoyzLoan

Haven't heard of these series' before. But looks good, I'm not sure I would call them more entertaining than Marvel and DC, but I'll give them a look.

Edited by SideburnGuru

I personally prefer Marvel and DC, but I do collect Archer And Armstroong and Bloodshot.

Posted by ccraft

I'm only reading Shadowman and X-O Manowar, those 2 titles are better than most DC titles.

Posted by Chaos Prime

Friend of mine been telling me for awhile to give Shadowman a read & after reading this i might just do that :)

Great Blog BTW

Edited by Killemall

@strider92: I have read some of Harbringer, reached issue 11, its surpringly a lot better than any comics i have in a long , long time. Its really cool.

BTW is the old 1992 version similar to this, the whole Peter super power but cant control his power kind of a kid? I also absolutely love Faith as a character, absolutely adore the concept, i smile everytime she appears on panel :p

Posted by Strider92

@killemall: Sort of. The original Harbinger wasn't quite as dark as the current one.In the 1992 version when his powers manifested Peter went to the Harbinger foundation for help controlling his abilities. 1992 Peter was nowhere near as brutal or volatile as current Peter. The current Harbinger series has basically been modernized. You could check it out if you like but its a very different feel from current Harbinger. If you're enjoying Harbinger check out Harbinger Wars as well when you reach that event. The last issue is out next month and it looks like the conclusion is going to be epic!

P.S yay I have someone I can talk Harbinger with now lol!

Posted by DoomDoomDoom

Awesome blog. I'm only reading Shadowman, which has been awesome by the way, but I'm planning on giving Quantum and Woody a shot.

Posted by Strider92

@doomdoomdoom: Cool :) Shadowman is the one i'm behind on at the moment i'm going to try and catch up with it soon. Glad it stays good throughout.

Posted by gunmetalgrey

@xwraith said:

X-O Manowar is probably my favorite comic right now. And if Ninjak ever gets his own ongoing Valiant will be the only publisher with more than one book I'm reading.

The question is when (exactly), not if.

Posted by Xwraith
Posted by Strider92

@xwraith said:

The question is when (exactly), not if.

Mother Of God!!!!!!!

Valiant:

Edited by gunmetalgrey

@strider92: @xwraith: This was actually announced since FCBD. I was surprised so many people missed it.

Edited by Strider92
Edited by TheAcidSkull

Indestructible Hulk ,daredevil and Scarlet spider beat all of these :P

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

/\/\ nope

Edited by God_Spawn

@strider92: I like X-O Man-O-War and I'm reading Harbinger Wars and Harbinger, and while I enjoy the series, it's just something that hasn't really been able to keep me sucked in so I'll probably end up dropping it. Oh, well. Time to completely immerse myself in Bloodshot then.

Edited by Strider92

@god_spawn: Guess its a matter of taste. Harbinger has always been my favorite followed closely by Archer and Armstrong. The new Ninjak series may knock them both down a bit though!

Posted by Guardiandevil83

I have always supported the little guy. Darkhorse, Valiant, Malibu and Image, so you ain't gotta worry about pulling me in. Lol

Posted by God_Spawn

@strider92: It probably is just a preference in taste. I just can't stay behind Harbinger. I'll probably drop once Harbinger Wars is complete. What sucks is I really like the concept, I like the characters, I just don't like the execution. It's a great series, but not my cup of tea.

Posted by Strider92

@god_spawn: Are you going to try Ninjak when it starts? If I want to i'm going to have to drop something from my pull-list and theres nothing I really want to drop T.T

Edited by laflux

@strider92: After seeing Ninjak get his own ongoing, I not ashamed to say I have the horn........

But the thing is, its already summer 2013 :(

Posted by gunmetalgrey

@laflux: Of the books announced in FCBD to release in "Summer 2013", only Eternal Warrior has been solicited and it's still set for September.

I'm sad about Ninjak probably being late, but happy that they were able to keep their word for at least one book.

Posted by Killemall

Seriously man try Harbinger, its fantastic. I just started reading it 2 days ago, and its brilliant.

That being said, i still like Scarlet Spiderman.

Hulk has been ok, i love the character but the story currently has been meh! so far. I am more interested with Hulk appearance in Avengers than in his solo series.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@theacidskull said:

Seriously man try Harbinger, its fantastic. I just started reading it 2 days ago, and its brilliant.

That being said, i still like Scarlet Spiderman.

Hulk has been ok, i love the character but the story currently has been meh! so far. I am more interested with Hulk appearance in Avengers than in his solo series.

harbinger huh? strider told me about it, but i never had the chance :P, i'll give it a shot

Scarlet spider is Amazing, yost knows what he is doing

As for hulk , the first arc was nice, could have been better now that i think about it, but it's cool :), the second arc however, despite the art, was brilliant, ESPECIALLY LOVE the scientific explanation for mjolnir. i generally don't like the current avengers though :/

Edited by i_like_swords

@strider92 @killemall I really want to get into Valiant but I need to drop a title. I have one title I'm willing to drop and perhaps a second if I can be convinced. So yeah out of all the Valiant titles which one or two would you recommend above all others?

Edit: Can you guys also let me know how many issues in some of these series are in? I've become really interested in Bloodshot.

Posted by Killemall

@i_like_swords: I have read only 1 and thats Harbringer and its awesome. Its worth dropping a marvel title over it. It doesnt have many titles thus far though, its only 12 in his own series, an issue 0 and Harbringer Wars (which i havent read yet coz the story will finish next month then will read the whole thing in 1 go).

Posted by i_like_swords
Posted by Dabee

Great post, but how is this a Valiant rant? Aren't rants when you talk about the problems with something and how much they bother you? This was more just you praising the heck out of Valiant. (I still haven't gotten a chance to check any of their titles out yet, and every day I read posts like these and feel more and more like I should.)

Posted by SoA

@strider92: is it really a rant if its the truth? Valiant is great and the only title i havent read from them is quantum and woody

Posted by Strider92

@dabee: @soa: Well I always entitle my blog posts that because in general they are normally me going on about something. This post is an exception lol! This is just a positive rant instead of a negative one!

@i_like_swords: It depends what type of character to you like. Tell me what you're reading in Marvel and DC and i'll try and help out with one thats down the same lines.

Posted by Dabee

@dabee: @soa: Well I always entitle my blog posts that because in general they are normally me going on about something. This post is an exception lol! This is just a positive rant instead of a negative one!

I did mean to ask you a quick question, though. Do any of the titles require you to be reading any others? For an example, can you read XO Manowar without reading Shadowman but still know what's going on? Just a completely random example, I'm not actually judging their quality. I assume they stand alone well, but considering they are all on the twelfth issue or so, and there are relatively few titles, I am somewhat curious if there are crossovers that would require me to read them all to understand it fully.

And also, would it be better to read say, the first 12 of Shadowman, then the first 12 of Archer/Armstrong? Or is it better to read issue 1, then issue 1, 2, then 2, etc. Do they all share linear continuity, basically? Eh, these questions make no sense. I know what I'm trying to ask, but it's just so hard to word! lol...

Posted by Strider92

@dabee: No you don't have to read any of the other titles if you don't want to. Everything that happens to things relevent to the character you are following happens in their solo series for example. The Bloodshot Vs Toyo Harada fight took place both in Harbinger Wars and in Bloodshot just from a different perspective. Valiant print their comics so you don't have to needlessly spend money because the character you like appears in another series.

I would highly recommend reading them from issue 1. Valiant comics are very story based so if you want to really follow whats going on its best to read from issue 1. Bloodshot becomes Bloodshot and H.A.R.D later this year so if you'd prefer not to read all the issues of Bloodshot you could wait for that new arc to start as apparently its a jump on point.

Edited by i_like_swords

@strider92: My favourite titles are Captain America, Deadpool and Hawkeye. Also like Guardians of the Galaxy. I mostly like street level characters but the stories don't have to be completely grounded to reality like Punisher.

Posted by Strider92

@i_like_swords: Hmmm then I would recommend either Bloodshot or if you want something with a bit of humor, Archer and Armstrong.

• 56 results