26 Comments
Posted by fodigg

I think that because the Moloids are considered to be joke characters, when they're not being silly it has more impact. So Tong's acceptance is one example, but another is the hate they display toward Mole Man, wishing him dead.

Posted by AlexandraTheGreat

Black Kiss was a superb comic, sadly I only have a few and have to hunt down the entire series.

Edited by Jonny_Anonymous

Tong is clearly the best trans character ever created

Posted by ShadowX
Edited by Nerx

@shadowx:

Not all are, but in a certain regard they hold an advantage over regulars.

Some shifters tend to get lost and even 'forget' their initial identity

Posted by ShadowX

@banestrokelobogrundybatarrow: im glad i could help

@nerx: you see. I don't think that all shapeshiters are trans. I think you can make a case for Mystique being genderfluid since she was going to use her powers to impregnate Destiny, until that origin foe nightcrawler was scrapped.

But there is a difference of identifying as a certain gender and shapeshifting. I'm sure many shapeahifters simply identify as one gender and may use there powers for disguises. Than there are ones who don't identify as a peticular one, or maybe even some who identify as none or " above/beyond" gender. But schemantics i guess.

Posted by Nerx

@shadowx: Just say multi/pan/ or omni

shapeshifters get the good package, they are formless

Take mystique for example

Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

@shadowx said:

@banestrokelobogrundybatarrow: don't need to be sorry. Xavin's gender status can be a complicated one, since the skrulls have there own understanding of gender. However Xavin does seem to have evidence to being transgender in the human american sense of the term, she seems to suffer from some type of dyaphoria and confusion about her gender. I personally see her as a trans woman or a gender fluid individual.

And sometimes some people are confused about their gender but may end up not being trans, they can simply like to crossdress, or be more feminine or masculine then their assigned gender.

@nerx: Alright. So bigender or genderfluid then?

Thank you! I now understand good thread!

Posted by ShadowX

@banestrokelobogrundybatarrow: don't need to be sorry. Xavin's gender status can be a complicated one, since the skrulls have there own understanding of gender. However Xavin does seem to have evidence to being transgender in the human american sense of the term, she seems to suffer from some type of dyaphoria and confusion about her gender. I personally see her as a trans woman or a gender fluid individual.

And sometimes some people are confused about their gender but may end up not being trans, they can simply like to crossdress, or be more feminine or masculine then their assigned gender.

@nerx: Alright. So bigender or genderfluid then?

Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Is Xavin transgender or just confused about his/ her gender? Which wouldent that be transgender??? So confused... Sorry.

Edited by Nerx

@shadowx: Danny can assign its gender, being a moving/living location

Posted by ShadowX

@nerx: wouldnt he be more of a transvestite then a transgendr character?

Posted by Nerx

@shadowx: Don't forget danny the street

transgenderism is not limited to merely puny humans

Posted by ShadowX
Posted by The_Titan_Lord

Nice blog.

Posted by ShadowX
Edited by MyNameWasDeleted

Here are a couple of lists of characters to explore for future installments

on Comic~Vine

on Wikipedia

edit: one of the more true to form Transsexual characters was Dagmar in Black Kiss

Posted by ShadowX

@mynamewasdeleted: thank you so much for letting me know. I'm still learning about trans characters in comics myself so I do plan on researching more for sure, and I do plan on doing further blog posts on the subject so I shall add more in the future!

Posted by MyNameWasDeleted

Hey, I linked that part one over here so the discussion can continue here in these comments, hope you're ok with that.

There are so many examples of transgendered people in comics that you've missed though... some who chose to alter their gender, some who had it done without their consent, and others who have de-transitioned for various reasons and some who were simply retconned out of their gender dysphoric states. Possibly the earliest of them, and mind you this one was an offering from DC comics in 1978, was Shvaughn Erin. The love interest of Element Lad.

Posted by ShadowX
Posted by ShadowX

@mynamewasdeleted: thanks and no problem. And yeah I know what you mean. And sure i'll post the link now.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/shadowx/blog/transgender-characters-in-comics/85837/

Posted by lykopis

@shadowx:

That would be bloody fantastic! Awesome blog idea -- :)

Having only recently come out as Trans here on ComicVine, I concur whole-heartedly about that issue of needing to continue to come out to everyone for the rest of my life. I have recently started a new job and no one there knows yet that I was born a boy. I'm not sure if I will ever tell them as passing for female is 2nd nature for me now, though I might one day reveal my past. I do like to drop hints now and again, but that's just playful banter.

as an aside shadowx I was hoping you could add a link to your original transgendered in comics post so it's easier to have a more thorough discussion, or at least list off those characters you have already written about

oh, and ps. thanks for this blog, you rock

Posted by ShadowX

@lykopis: thank you for your time and response. And I agree ignorance and agreement can be shown as long as its shown to be wrong and corrected/challenged quickly. I might make this a series of blogs where I go indepth with various characters and subjects. ( such as do shapeshifters count as trans? And.etc..)

Posted by lykopis

Fantastic blog - really surprised no one has commented on it.

I especially agree with one of your closing points:

"Especially when it comes to minorities, it is important to have positive portrayals of coming out, even if it is higher than the realistic average, because as a source of media comics should be striving to be greater than the realistic world and influencing it. The more positive portrayals of coming out the more okay people would feel about the subject, and the people who have to come out will feel like they have even more support."

There are various ways to go about it, and a little ignorance can be revealed to add to the story, but it should be dealt with harshly (the ignorance). Positive portrayals are the way to go -- it really does go a long way in making people feel comfortable with themselves and also, help them along in their life's journey - in choosing to come out or not.

Thank you for your insights and for this blog. Very enjoyable. :)