152 Comments
  • 152 results
Edited by Renchamp

@rd189: Are you trolling me? The EULA has been used with every video game ever? Not hardly. Here's your homework assignment: Scan this document from the last game you purchased. Then, find this document with any SNES game and scan it. Then post these documents here so we can all see. (Because your Wikipedia article means very little for discussing legal things.)

Edited by RD189
Edited by Renchamp

@rd189: What are you talking about? What game do you sign a license agreement to? When you buy a game from a store there is no license (unless there is some pre-release thing going on); you own that game. You can sell it, trade it, whatever it and there is no revocation of any license unless you have actually signed something. You own it. Just like physical comic books. You buy a single issue - it is yours forever. You can give it to your kids. You can pee on it and then burn it. Not sure where your comment comes from.

Posted by RD189

I think it works the same way that video games do. When you buy it, you technically don't own the game, you have a license to play that game that you payed 59.99 for, and the license is good for 999999999999 years or w.e. And really, when you lend that game to a friend, you are breaking the rules because the license was in your name.

But lets be honest, do you really see Rockstar and Marvel suing people left, right and centre for transferring their "property" to other people, do you? I mean, it's not as if Bendis and Hickman are sending big bad repo dudes to frig with your phone for letting someone else use their comixology account.

I think OP reads a little too much into contract law. I buy almost exclusively digitally mainly cause i don't have the time to go to a comics store. I have never had a problem with the apps outside of a few technical issues (quickly solved by support staff), and to share it with others, i let them use my account and vise versa.

Posted by Alexerxes

I will be moving to non-digital comics.

Posted by PiofNEPTUNE

Oh Boy! Do I Miss The 1970s and 1980s, When I Could Purchase All Of My COMIC BOOKS For 30 Cents. 40 Cents, 50 Cents, 60 Cents, 70 Cents, 80 Cents, 90 Cents, and Then $1.25, $2.25, and NOW $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, Onwards and Upwards, Way To Go MARVEL & DC, How Much More of Our Moolaah $$$? The SKY Is Their Limit. (:)

Edited by PiofNEPTUNE

Oh Boy! Do I Miss The 1970s and 1980s, When I Could Purchase All Of My COMIC BOOKS For 30 Cents. 40 Cents, 50 Cents, 60 Cents, 70 Cents, 80 Cents, 90 Cents, and Then $1.25, $2.25, and NOW $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, Onwards and Upwards, Way To Go MARVEL & DC, How Much More of Our Moolaah $$$? The SKY Is Their Limit. (:)

Posted by JoshuaDBr

@renchamp: Hey, thanks. I think I'd like to do it like you do. My biggest problem is money though. But still, I like the idea of taking advantage of both physical and digital.

Edited by Renchamp

@joshuadbr: I am both a reader and a collector, so physical is the way to go for me. I do buy digitally when there are sales so as to get a flavor for a book I may be interested in, but then I'll buy that book later for the collection if I deem it worthy. Example: I loved "Bikini Cowboy." I got it cheap in a bundle on Comixology. I'll now be looking to buy it physically in the near future.

@matteopg: Absolutely. I've read more because of digital comics. I've also bought way more physical copies because of them. But that's my jam.

Posted by MatteoPG

My life has improved drastically since the advent of a good distribution channel for digital comics. I have owned and bought physical copies all my life and I couldn't be happier now.

I like to own the digital copy of some real classic comic book in a really deluxe edition, but beyond that I love the digital experience.

I'll do you one better: if it wasn't for digital comics, I could barely read one tenth of what I read now, and I would feel much more insecure about my "property".

Edited by DarthAznable

Posted by JoshuaDBr

Digital comics a re actually what brought me into comics. And ever since I've thought about how cool it would be to own them physically. After reading this I'm really wanting to switch to physical comics. I'm just so used to being able to download a comic whenever. But I think switching will be worth it.

Posted by Renchamp

@oosupermanthathoeoo: Yup, I mentioned that. I focused on comics, though, since this is a comic book website.

Posted by oOSupermanThatHoeOo

This isn't exactly exclusive to comics distribution, this issue surrounds digital distribution as a whole.

Posted by Renchamp

@captainhoopla: Before I would have dismissed this, as the inability to read comics on the Kindle was a sore spot for some readers. But the recent Kindles do have this ability. Food for thought indeed.

Edited by CaptainHoopla

This article was the first thing that came to my mind when it was announced that Amazon had purchased Comixology. I don't see this happening, but could you imagine if Amazon decided that Comixology would become a Kindle only app? Say goodbye to your comics if you don't want a Kindle. Again, I don't see them doing that, but it's certainly food for thought on this topic.

Posted by Renchamp

@lyrafay: I'm glad you enjoyed the blog.

I find that I have been "purchasing" more digital books lately, but it's more like a trial run. If I can get a discount (Comixology does bundles for way cheap) then I'll check out some books that I never would have. If I like them enough then I'll spring for the physical copy - like what I'll be doing with "Bikini Cowboy." It's like my Kindle. I get free classics to see which ones are worth buying and displaying a fancy copy in my trophy room (read: library). "The Last of the Mohicans" - no. "Bleak House" - absolutely.

Posted by LyraFay

Technically I could buy digital (I do for music because that's easy). But being from a family of avid book-readers it seems foreign and weird. I mean I do have two comic shops 15 minutes away from me but I just get trades from an online store, its easy and efficient. But this was an excellent eye-opening read.

Edited by Erik

I hate paper issues with the exception of trades. I'll never buy another single again. But digital comics are unfairly priced in my opinion. They have none of the cost of production that paper issues have, so I think prices should reflect that. That being said, I understand the game and it's never going to change. I would be completely fine with the digital prices if publishers did more of those comic DVD releases like 40 Years of X-Men.

My favorite purchase was when I got those (and others like it) when they were a mere $39.99 plus shipping. That's $0.08 per issue. Why were they that cheap? Because it was a very unpopular medium at the time. Now, you look at the prices for those very same DVDs and they are incredibly marked up to almost match digital prices, about $2.00 per issue. What changed? Popularity with digital comics.

Posted by zigbingham

Just bought a couple of Digitals from Image. Qualities great and their in a variety of DRM free formats that you can download and save. Use Bookman to read as Comic zeal didn't do double page spreads on ipad. Hopefully more publishers will take note and offer the same, bigger profits for the publishers as they cut out both Apple and Comixology. I love the comixology experience but would rather own what I pay for.

Posted by hart7668

I guess this is way I can't get scans from them.... sadface

Posted by jonnyh101

I'm lucky enough to have a comic book shop half an hour away from me. I just can't stand reading digitally to be honest I prefer a physical comic book or graphic novel in my hand when i'm reading to feel the paper and have a sense of ownership for it. I love having rows of comic books in boxes and that will never change. Plus the fact there a great back up for if theres any power cuts and the the fact they will be I hope worth alot of money in 10-15 years. I hope physically comic books never go !

Posted by TheCoolestNerdd

I got sick of all the clutter and began to convert to digital, with Marvel issues I tend to buy the books that come with a free digital edition, claim that and then sell the book on, that way I have a copy and it was at a reduced price, but to be honest I enjoy having them on my tablet more than having the book. I was totally opposed at first until I finally treated myself to a tablet and now I much prefer it...

Posted by comicdude319

@sirderpity: I would love to accept i live in a small town and dont have one so i have to buy all my comics online

Posted by comicdude319

the advantages of digital comics are great

1.your comics cant get get ruined when taking them on the go

2.They are always there for re download no matter if you have a kindle (mostly only collected editions are on plain kindles e.g. red hood and the outlaws vol 3 death of the family and can only be bought from amazon) , kindle fire, android tablet, iphone ipod ipad, computer

3.you can zoom in

4.They are usually cheaper. i picked up judge dredd complete casefiles that retail for $40nzd for a paperback but i got it digitally for $12.6nzd and amazon often have sales(they only sell collected editions and graphic novels usually).

5.tablets are getting fairly cheap now here in new zealand you can get a fairly powerful android tablet for around $80 and as well as comics you can play games

6.there are digital only titles

scarlet digital has a point but thats why you make hard copies on your hard drive

Posted by Scanner51

i found away around this problem. i recently got a new google nexus, so instead of selling my old one i wiped the memory of everything only keep the ereaders and downloaded all my books from 3 ereaders and over three quarters of my comics to the harddrive. So the way i see it i now have "hard copys" of everything.

Posted by Tommy_X

Besides this question of ownership another thing that bothers me is in the pricing. As I live in europe I pay in euros for my digital comics. So why do I have to pay 3.99€ for a comic that costs 3.99$? 1€ does not equal 1$, sure it changes depending on the value of currency but last I checked 1$ was roughly 0.70€. And it hasn't even been that way the whole time, when I started reading digital comics prices took the currency change into account but now it's changed and I have to pay 3.99€ for a comic that costs 3.99$ so I pay around 30% extra for every comic I buy! I can't think of any excuse for that since it shouldn't matter if I buy a digital comic in USA or Europe, right?!

Posted by boisv

When I started reading comics again, I started with digital comics on my iPad. It was convenient, sometimes cheaper, portable, and took up no space. After a few months I looked back and realized what a mistake I made. Instead of having built up a really nice comic collection, I had access to a bunch of PDFs. I never paid for another digital comic again.

Posted by sirderpity

SUPPORT YOU LOCAL COMIC SHOP

Posted by DonFelipe

However, I realize that digital comics have their advantages too. I think it would be best if every paper comic comes with a code to download the digital version for free, however I understand why companies would oppose such a policy.

Most vinyl records have a code inside to download the mp3 version of the album. I love it! Isn't DC still releasing some of the New 52 titles as combo packages, too? Last time I checked they cost $1 more than the regular issues. I don't know about Marvel and the other publishers.

I just bought the print versions of Trillium (1-3) a week ago although I had already owned purchased the digital copy but I really want to own and feel and smell it.

Interesting post and comments.

Edited by War Killer

I just switched over to Digital Comics not that long ago, and while I did have a serious though about the concern of possibly not "owning" the comics, honestly, I'm really not that worried about it.

Edited by Verotikryptonite

I prefer to read all my comics on my sexy 48 inch philips with cdisplay tweaked in my nvidia control panel at a custom resolution of 5760x1080. Beat that kiddies, ha

Posted by DecoyElite

I'm mostly getting digital now but I don't plan on sharing so I should be good.

Posted by Renchamp

@wilbertus said:

What I get from the article is that you are not allowed to distribute/sell the digital copy that you have downloaded. This only seems to be commonsense to me.

Basically. And you technically can't let anyone else use/see/read-from-afar your digital copy. Your kids cannot inherit your account; it reverts back to the comic supplier.

Posted by Wilbertus

What I get from the article is that you are not allowed to distribute/sell the digital copy that you have downloaded. This only seems to be commonsense to me.

Honestly, I am one of those people who prefer to have the comic book in their hands. I love the feel, advice and service of a local comics shop and bringing a comic home to read makes me feel like a child on Christmas.

However, I realize that digital comics have their advantages too. I think it would be best if every paper comic comes with a code to download the digital version for free, however I understand why companies would oppose such a policy.

Posted by Renchamp

As if Image needs anything else to show how cool they are, they sell DRM-free and contract restrictive-free digital comics from their website as of July of 2013. Hopefully Marvel will soon follow suit.

Posted by PowerHerc

Interesting and informative.

Edited by Wrinkledlight

I can see why digital comics cost the same as physical comics. It makes sense. If you charge less for the digital version then you will easily put comic shops out of business. Also, DC, Marvel and all the other comic book companies will loose money to people only purchasing the digital versions and not buying physical copies anymore. And if the customers are not in the shop buying the physical copies then they won't be more likely to buy the other products based on the comics like action figures etc.

Posted by livingsilver

@razzatazz said:

I have no idea how illegal comic downloads are created, but I imagine that it is much easier to copy them off of an electronic device as opposed to scanning them in manually. This is probably an attempt to control such illegal activities.

I read an 3 part article a few years ago on this process (I found it on Reddit, I think). It turns out there there is actually a very small community of people that scan physical issues. They work in teams, and often these teams compete to put out the better product. They spend many hours on an issue, doing high quality scans and then cleaning up and editing their work in Photoshop. It sounded like an incredibly laborious process, and they do it all for "fame".

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to stop comic piracy: these teams are apparently leaving their signature in the books somehow. If the scanners were caught, I doubt few people would try to replace them.

Then again, these days people might hack into electronic devices to get the pirated material. The problem with doing it this way is that the book scanners (according to the article) scan all of the adds and supplementary material. None of the books that I have purchased from Comixology have included ads. This is a bit of a shame, as I particularly like the ads in the back of Image comics (because they advertise new books that I'm usually interested in).

Posted by louder

I work in a comic shop, I read comics and I love comics. Honestly I don't see digital as a bad thing, when done well. Lets take a look at DC. Their combo packs are great. I can get the comic on paper so add to my collection and read when I am able, but I also have a digital copy for when I am commuting to work and want to catch up on the issues I have bought but am yet to read. I honestly think that is the only way digital will survive. We have many customers who have tried digital, maybe picked up that odd back issue they missed or the number one of the new marvel now/new 52 runs they missed. Ultimately they all hate it. It's not that they miss the feel of the page, the smell of the comics. They aren't drawn in by the connivence every week, or the lower prices. They keep coming back for two reasons: The joy of buying the comic books and taking them home to read, that child like excitement on a tuesday evening when you realise that next issue is only one night away and customer service. So many of our regulars love comics but sometimes miss things, they might not follow every indy, they might not be able to check the latest news every day. The value for our customers comes from having a good local comic shop that you can regularly visit, the staff get to know you and your tastes and ultimately give you the best reading experience possible by helping you find the right book.

That is why digital will never take over, well that and the age old comic book shop conversations...Could Magneto life Thor's Hammer? Well that's that kind of argument that can only be settled in a comic shop.

• 152 results