20 Comments
Posted by doomsilver

Nice list. Was not around then, so I don't know anything about it, but hay still.

Posted by ReVamp

@Liberty: I don't know but there were a lot of good character created in the 70s and I find some of these to have been slightly overrated. I'm not going to mention anything specifically so I don't start heat and I mean no disrespect to you, Lib. Just saying those two words in the same sentence is awkward.

Posted by Liberty
@ReVamp: Wow really?  Who would you have instead?
Posted by ReVamp

I disagree with a lot of things here, to be honest.

Posted by Antonio_Blackheart

great page

Posted by Meteorite
@Liberty:
Fair enough, it's your list.
Posted by Liberty
@Meteorite:  War Machine is another good choice but of the three you suggested I think Cage is the best.
Posted by Meteorite
@Liberty:
I thought of an even better 70's character: Thanos! Also, just for consideration, what about War Machine?
Posted by Liberty
@Meteorite: That is great you said Cage because he was on the list but I replaced him in a similar conversation.  I forgot with who.  Cage is a great.  I think I may take your advice on this one.
Posted by Meteorite
@Liberty said:
@Meteorite: I honestly take no offense at all I'm not even really arguing with you that hard.  I am more than open to hear a suggestion if you like.  The main criteria is that they had their first appearance in the 1970's.  Who would you suggest?
How about Luke Cage? He's leading the New Avengers at the moment, that's an achievement.
Posted by Liberty
@Meteorite: I honestly take no offense at all I'm not even really arguing with you that hard.  I am more than open to hear a suggestion if you like.  The main criteria is that they had their first appearance in the 1970's.  Who would you suggest?
Posted by Meteorite
@Liberty said:
@Meteorite: I'm not sure how you would determined that.  Nova had a self titled series that lasted 25 issues in the 1970's.  That is pretty rare for most superheores.  I would also mention that the point of the list was to point out the characters from a particular decade that had the most impact after they were created.  Whenever someone says they don't like a list choice I have to ask who would they would have instead?  What do you think?
Nova didn't do too badly for the 70's, but I think there were more popular characters- the fact that the X-Men went from being one of Marvel's least popular titles to most popular is a good example. And with due respect, how much impact has Nova had between the 70's and Annihilation? He did lose his powers and was in comic book limbo for a while.

(I'm don't want to diss your list, I'm just saying I'm a bit confused).
Posted by Liberty
@Meteorite: I'm not sure how you would determined that.  Nova had a self titled series that lasted 25 issues in the 1970's.  That is pretty rare for most superheores.  I would also mention that the point of the list was to point out the characters from a particular decade that had the most impact after they were created.  Whenever someone says they don't like a list choice I have to ask who would they would have instead?  What do you think?
Posted by Meteorite

With due respect, I'd argue that Nova only really became popular since he joined the New Warriors. And even then, he didn't really get good until Annihilation.

Posted by PowerHerc

I dig 2/3 of your picks on this one.  That's like batting .667 in the majors.  Good job!
Posted by MetatronDaDon

Great List

Posted by haydenclaireheroes

Great Job. Wolverine is my favorite on this list. 

Posted by Liberty
@Wise Son:   The list is not in order of finished.  I have only been working on these decade lists for the last six days and I am not done yet.  Every time I add a cool character to this list I have to take someone else off.  It makes it tough.  I chose Luke because in the 70's he was the face of the franchise.  It is hard to pick who should represent the Star Wars franchise. 
Posted by Wise Son

Must have been hard for you to leave out Rag man.

Posted by Wise Son

Woo, for Judge Dredd. The list looks food save for one thing I could have gone without Luke Skypooper in front of Vader or him on the list at all for that matter. He just didn't seem to be that great of a character. Little Ani on the other hand has a much larger cult like fan base and has a far reaching influence in pop culture. No need arguing against Wolverine and Punisher as they helped define the era and comics. I think Moon Knight should be ahead of Red Sonja but then again I love the Moon Knight mythology way more then anyone on this list, Judge Dredd and ROM withstanding. I enjoyed Travis Morgan but he's one of those guys you could miss. Like Shang Chi  and Blade. But one question where the heck is Iron Fist or Luke Cage for that matter?