62 Comments
  • 62 results
Posted by Liberty
@jrh7925:    Yes, I counted it but I will go back and double check.   I have those books and read them myself.
Posted by Silkcuts

You missed Cerebus.  The longest running indie book at 300.

Posted by ArtisticNeedham

I read this, but can you give me a summary of it.
I agree that its important to know what came before, right now I am reading Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee and John Romita (read from Amazing Spider-Man #1 by Lee and Dikto and now up to ASM #46 I think it is.  Thank you Marvel Master Works) as well as MMW's Captain America vol. 1, the Avengers vol. 1, the X-Men vol. 1, and Fantastic Four volumes 1-4 (just shy of the intro of the Inhumans, Silver Surfer and Galactus... MUST get vol. 5)
I have also tried my best to read other important books like Crisis on Infinite Earth, Squadron Supreme, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and so on.

If you really want a great history of comics check out History Chanel's Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked.  Go to a place that rents its, or sells it, or shows it, and rent it, or buy it, and watch it!
Its great, it covers comics from almost the beginning.
I learned in a class that it started with drawings in a magazine sold to the poorer public, And it started as a single drawing (like a political drawing), then (according to a Jack Kirby interview on youtube) you add a few panels to that and you get a comic strip.  Then pulbishers started noticing that those sold enough that they could make money buy selling collections of comic strips (like a best of your favorite comic strip in a cheap paper magazine form).  Then after some time a company created their very own original character for one of those cheap paper magazines.  And that led to superheroes and funny comics, and that lead to us today.
The DVD also covers the rise and fall (WWII), then rise and fall again (Comics on Trial), and then the rise and fall yet again (Collectors in the 90s), of comics over the years.

I have also watched, if you guys want to check these out too, The Amazing Story of Superman, Marvel's Guide to New York (shows real spots around New York used by Marvel, added with shots of real people acting like Superheroes, and comic shots to compare them the real buildings to), the Psychology of Batman, and the Psychology of Superman and Batman.

Something I have noticed by reading these old issues is how amazing some of the character we find mundane today were treated, like the Vulture.  Not sure if it was just Stan but they acted as though no one had dreamed a man could fly.  Some characters are even considered so mundane today that they need retooling and added powers to them.
I also read a few pages of a Ditko bio, and it talks about how his following the teachings of Ayn Rand effected Spider-Man comics and maybe even his leaving Spider-man.

Posted by Wurl124

Nice list.  I applaud the hard work. 

Posted by jumpstart55

Sweet list. 
Very interesting lol.

Posted by deadpool1109

I recommend checking up on the Phantom's publications by Indian publishers. You'll find a lot more on the ghost who walks.

Posted by difficlus

Another great list liberty! 
Thank you...

Posted by ReVamp

The Amount of Work you put into this... Mindblowing.

Posted by MannEffest

Wow… Dude this is probably the most involved thread I've seen, props to all you do!!

Posted by johnny_blaze

Shouldn't Bone, Tom Strong, Hellboy and Lara Croft be on here as well? Still a dope list.

Edited by Liberty

Shouldn't Bone, Tom Strong, Hellboy and Lara Croft be on here as well? Still a dope list.

Tom Strong, Hellboy and Lara Croft do not have enough 'self titled' issues. (see guidelines above" I counted Bone under the first rule. Thanks, BTW.

Posted by guillermogutierrez

Nice List you can Mencion

Blacksad

Inhumans

Leo Roa

Hellboy

Metabaron

Adolf

Buda

Lone Wolf and Cub