#1 Edited by G-Man (34330 posts) - - Show Bio
X-Men: Magneto Testament #2

Wed 10/8

Did anyone read the first issue?  I don't think I ever got around to reading it.  Guess I'm not the biggest Magneto fan.  He needs a new act.

The latest from the Marvel Knights line!

The definitive origin story of one of Marvel's greatest icons continues as young Magneto, a Jewish boy in Hitler's Germany, travels to Berlin with his father in a desperate attempt to secure protection from the Nazi menace. What new rules and skills must father and son learn to survive in this insane new world? And will those lessons be enough to save their family on the Night of Broken Glass?

Staff
#2 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto is good, but we get his origin.... this is pointless.

#3 Posted by inferiorego (24734 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Magneto is good, but we get his origin.... this is pointless."
This was an wonderful success of a comic. It was my favorite of the week. I HIGHLY recommend people pick this up.... Sadly, I didn't get a promo copy to read early, so I have to wait..

Here was my review:
"It took me a while to read this one, and I regret the fact it took me so long. Let me start by saying this book delves into a dark part of world history that many people try to avoid talking about. Not the whole WWII aspect, but more along the lines of the attempted genocide of the Jewish people, and the Nazis rise to power. Max (Magneto) is a teenager in this book and so far, the book is much more about the world around him and less about how he became Magneto, which I am fine with. Pak did his research on this and tries to stay as honest as possible when delving into the Nazis rise to power. So far, since it's 1933 before the Nazi regime ruled, the Nazi party is just started to gain some control and Pak does not pull punches. I applaud him for making this book an accurate portrayal of life back then. I was honestly moved by this book, I love history and the MCU and real World History (NOT Real World the Mtv show) meld together. This book is insightful to how the Jewish people were treated prior to the death camps and murders, and it is incredibly scary to know that these crimes actually existed in our world. I am very excited for the next issue and hope that Pak keeps in tune with history and stays true to it."
Staff
#4 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
On the contrary, this is covering a period of Magneto's life we have never seen before: His pre-Auschwitz childhood. Up until this miniseries, we had no idea who Magneto was before he entered Auschwitz and given that he survived four years there as a teenager, that indicates something pretty remarkable walk in those gates.

For instance, the child Max watching the degradation of his father in these pages explains why the adult Magneto has such an inflexible pride and iron will.

What is also excellent is that this is not merely using WWII as a backdrop for superhero daring-do, but Pak has taken a very realistic approach to this story which makes the book educational as Maus was educational.

Granted, I am biased, but I think I can safely say that this is the finest story Marvel is publishing this year.
#5 Posted by inferiorego (24734 posts) - - Show Bio
Pania said:
"John Valentine said:

Granted, I am biased, but I think I can safely say that this is the finest story Marvel is publishing this year."
I agree 100%
Staff
#6 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#7 Posted by rey of darkness (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read the first two today and the story is incredible, seeing Magneto as just a young boy going through the Holocaust is incredible sad and intrigue at the same time. I both can't wait and don't want to see the next issue, because Magneto's journy is just begining and its going to get worse for him. I also feel sad because I really like Magneto's Family and don't want them to die, but I know they're going to. It's sad and intresting to see what all this does to Magneto's Pesonality and make him what he is today.