Why Black Panther Will Get Very, Very Angry in TMWF #523.1

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

T'Challa has definitely had an interesting year at Marvel Comics. First, we watched his fall from the throne as the Black Panther of Wakanda, then we saw him take over Daredevil's role as the new defender of Hells Kitchen (in Matt Murdoc's former series) as Black Panther: Man Without Fear. But what's next for T'Challa? The change in T'Challa's character from a regal King to a street level fighter was not only dramatic, it was almost jarring. Many fans had, for several years, grown accustomed to T'Challa as a King, that it was very different to see him as anything but.

No Caption Provided

According to Liss, things will be heating up for T'Challa starting this fall with issue #523.1 of Black Panther : Man Without Fear--The Most Dangerous Man Alive when T'Challa faces off against a man who is targeting everyone T'Challa has saved in an act of vengeance.

== TEASER ==

“It's a one issue story, so things are revealed quickly...Let's just say that someone out there knows that T'Challa has a pretty muscular sense of responsibility, and killing people the Panther has saved is going to make him very, very angry. Whoever is doing this wants to strike a blow against T'Challa and make him so angry that he's off his game. Who could it be? You'll have to pick up the issue to find out.”

Seems like T'Challa will be holding onto the mantle of "Man Without Fear" for the foreseable future- or at least until this fall when Marvel continues to push their point one initiative with the release of Black Panther: Man Without Fear #523.1. The issue will allow new readers to get to know a Black Panther that is stripped pretty bare--without the ties to his lineage and native Wakanda in an issue that promises to be a perfect jumping on point for new readers who are unfamiliar with this current incarnation of the Black Panther, but what about the old one? Whatever happened to the King of Wakanda and will Marvel ever revert the character to that role?

We've watched T'Challa evolve as a character during his tenure as the "Man Without Fear," protector of Hells Kitchen and he's certainly become a very different man than the regal figure he was as the King and leader of Wakanda. However, is this direction what Black Panther fans want to see? Do you prefer the grittier, street level Black Panther, or do you miss the wise King of Wakanda? In the upcoming issue of Black Panther: Man Without Fear, T'Challa becomes more entrenched in New York, but is that where he really belongs?

Look for Black Panther: The Man Without Fear # 523.1 in September.

No Caption Provided

Source Marvel

Avatar image for ryu_talkative_batman
ryu_talkative_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

"The most dangerous man alive!" Makes since with Matt Murdock returning to DD. Can't have two "man without fear" running around, Marvel might reboot everything and go back to #1.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

Hes angry because DC is getting so much attention.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cosmo111687
@doordoor123 said:

He's angry because little kids keep confusing him with Batman.
StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#4  Edited By StarKiller809

Woah.... Marvel is still publishing books?  JK. 

With all this DC news it refreshing to see some Marvel news.
darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By darth bul

ill

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By DMC

with T'Challa still hanging in NY it's a shame he's not on an Avengers team....oh well. 
Maybe I should pick this up, the Marvel side of my pull list is getting pretty thin (outside of Fear Itself books)

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By SuperXAsh

five bucks says it's Erik Killmonger. That guy knows how to get under T'Challa's skin

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Michiel76

Never really liked the character and therefore not buying the books. He's an african for pete's sakes but is somehow always involved with USA problems.
There is so much potential here, cause africa is a continent with many problems (i should know i go to africa a lot for work)
Marvel could do stories on mayor issues that happen in africa today, like child soldiers, forced labor, smuggeling, poaching, piracy, terrorism, civil war, ethnic cleansing even blooddiamonds if you run out of inspiration. 
But nooooo he decides to move to NY and defend the people of one neighbourhood in manhattan, which in the marvel universe has THE largest superhero concentration in the world.
Maybe he has a very good reason for doing this, i wouldn;t know cause like i said i don't read the BP comics, but i just see a character that could be so much more and interesting.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By HexThis

Does this mean us X-men fans can finally get Storm the hell back?

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By chalkshark
@HexThis: She 's been back. She just finished out an X-Man story arc where the team comes back to New York, teams up with Spider-Man, & battles the Dark Beast in the sewers beneath Manhattan. Over in Uncanny X-Men, she was featured in both the Five Lights & Quarantine story arcs.
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cosmo111687
@Michiel76 said:
Never really liked the character and therefore not buying the books. He's an african for pete's sakes but is somehow always involved with USA problems. There is so much potential here, cause africa is a continent with many problems (i should know i go to africa a lot for work) Marvel could do stories on mayor issues that happen in africa today, like child soldiers, forced labor, smuggeling, poaching, piracy, terrorism, civil war, ethnic cleansing even blooddiamonds if you run out of inspiration.  But nooooo he decides to move to NY and defend the people of one neighbourhood in manhattan, which in the marvel universe has THE largest superhero concentration in the world. Maybe he has a very good reason for doing this, i wouldn;t know cause like i said i don't read the BP comics, but i just see a character that could be so much more and interesting.
Quoted for truth.
Avatar image for furyofobama2012
FuryofObama2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FuryofObama2012

Great series so far. Would rather see him as a regal king.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By chalkshark

I've enjoyed the Black Panther: Man Without Fear series. That said, it's the wrong milieu for the character. All the things that made the Black Panther a unique character have been stripped away, leaving us with just another New York vigilante. The exact same story could have been told with Moon Knight, or Daredevil, in the Black Panther's place. Marvel has done a good job over the last decade in strengthening the Black Panther's status  & presence in the greater Marvel Universe. The world he operated in, where his adventures took place, was very different from what you'd find in, say, The Invincible Iron Man or Captain America. His marriage to Storm showed a desire to move both characters forward, & yet, it was not given time to truly be explored. Returning the Black Panther to the streets of New York, ground well covered in the character's past, is a huge step backward. It's high time the Black Panther was returned to Wakanda. His should be stories of political intrigue mixed with high adventure in exotic locals. Leave the grit & grime of New York to the Punisher.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By ImperiousRix

My little bro has absolutely been loving this series.  For him, the "Man Without Fear" T'Challa is the only Black Panther he's read, so at least for him, it's good the series'll keep on trucking for a while longer.

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkcloakx

only good black panther stories will be the ones i read. bad ones i won't  read only as long as the stories are good and are character driven he can be a street fighter in nyc or a king. just make it interesting for me to care about the character. that's my two cents, Darkcloakx out!

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By JonesDeini
@chalkshark said:
I've enjoyed the Black Panther: Man Without Fear series. That said, it's the wrong milieu for the character. All the things that made the Black Panther a unique character have been stripped away, leaving us with just another New York vigilante. The exact same story could have been told with Moon Knight, or Daredevil, in the Black Panther's place. Marvel has done a good job over the last decade in strengthening the Black Panther's status  & presence in the greater Marvel Universe. The world he operated in, where his adventures took place, was very different from what you'd find in, say, The Invincible Iron Man or Captain America. His marriage to Storm showed a desire to move both characters forward, & yet, it was not given time to truly be explored. Returning the Black Panther to the streets of New York, ground well covered in the character's past, is a huge step backward. It's high time the Black Panther was returned to Wakanda. His should be stories of political intrigue mixed with high adventure in exotic locals. Leave the grit & grime of New York to the Punisher.
Agree with most of what you said (I never cared for his marriage to Storm). I've enjoyed Man Without Fear but I'm Hoping World's Most Dangerous Man will move him to being a man of the world and the presence he should be in Wakanda (even if Shuri's on the throne). 
UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UnosInfinitos

"Angry", "THe most dangerous man alive" yeah I guess I'm the only one picking up the stereotype.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Osiris1428

Looks like Batwing will be doing what Black Panther should be doing-helping people all over the world, including in different parts of Africa.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Michiel76
@cosmo111687 said:
@Michiel76 said:
Never really liked the character and therefore not buying the books. He's an african for pete's sakes but is somehow always involved with USA problems. There is so much potential here, cause africa is a continent with many problems (i should know i go to africa a lot for work) Marvel could do stories on mayor issues that happen in africa today, like child soldiers, forced labor, smuggeling, poaching, piracy, terrorism, civil war, ethnic cleansing even blooddiamonds if you run out of inspiration.  But nooooo he decides to move to NY and defend the people of one neighbourhood in manhattan, which in the marvel universe has THE largest superhero concentration in the world. Maybe he has a very good reason for doing this, i wouldn;t know cause like i said i don't read the BP comics, but i just see a character that could be so much more and interesting.
Quoted for truth.
Thanks, it's just my two cents.
imo what seems to be lacking from Marvel and DC is a more international super-hero team. Put an American, european, muslim, jewish, asian etc. superhero together in one book and let them battle evil all over the world, i would buy that comic in a heartbeat. Of course characters would clash in some situations and it would be a difficult comic to write but a talented writer could write great stories without offending any readers.
Lets face it, the problems in america today are storywise not very interesting. you have the economic crisis and maybe the oil prices. Today the stories are in africa/middle east and japan. The Arabian spring, nuclear /tsunami disasters etc. even the other things i mentioned before are far more interesting.
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cosmo111687
@Michiel76 said:
@cosmo111687 said:
@Michiel76 said:
Quoted for truth.
Thanks, it's just my two cents. imo what seems to be lacking from Marvel and DC is a more international super-hero team. Put an American, european, muslim, jewish, asian etc. superhero together in one book and let them battle evil all over the world, i would buy that comic in a heartbeat. Of course characters would clash in some situations and it would be a difficult comic to write but a talented writer could write great stories without offending any readers.Lets face it, the problems in america today are storywise not very interesting. you have the economic crisis and maybe the oil prices. Today the stories are in africa/middle east and japan. The Arabian spring, nuclear /tsunami disasters etc. even the other things i mentioned before are far more interesting.
In a way, that's what the X-Men used to be, although I don't recall them ever battling specific world problems (besides general discrimination) as often as just battling costumed super-villains who had personal grudges against them, in some form or another. It would be good to have more characters who were more humanitarians than crime fighters.
Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Michiel76
@cosmo111687 said:
@Michiel76 said:
@cosmo111687 said:
@Michiel76 said:
Quoted for truth.
Thanks, it's just my two cents. imo what seems to be lacking from Marvel and DC is a more international super-hero team. Put an American, european, muslim, jewish, asian etc. superhero together in one book and let them battle evil all over the world, i would buy that comic in a heartbeat. Of course characters would clash in some situations and it would be a difficult comic to write but a talented writer could write great stories without offending any readers.Lets face it, the problems in america today are storywise not very interesting. you have the economic crisis and maybe the oil prices. Today the stories are in africa/middle east and japan. The Arabian spring, nuclear /tsunami disasters etc. even the other things i mentioned before are far more interesting.
In a way, that's what the X-Men used to be, although I don't recall them ever battling specific world problems (besides general discrimination) as often as just battling costumed super-villains who had personal grudges against them, in some form or another. It would be good to have more characters who were more humanitarians than crime fighters.
I know!! i just loved the whole X-men in Australia stories, fighting for freedom in Genosha, i still have fond memories of that era. That was true adventure, helping people, tackling a major problem like discrimination. Too bad it has gone downhill with the X books since then. Even the return of Claremont himself did not bring the X-men back to the top storytelling we once had.
Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Frobin

I don't like the direction Marvel took with T'Challa now. During Civil War I really loved his role as dissident against Tony Stark, the only real opponent in terms of money and strategic genius. 

Then I also liked the way to make him more similar to Dr. Doom - which means bringing in the magic. The Black Panther is a very mythological character, but Wakanda is based on superior technology ... this is to me a really cool way to connect both. 

For a short time I think it could be a good part of T'Challas personal history to be a urban street fighter. But in the long run, the Black Panther is - and should be - Marvel's Bruce Wayne, like Batman - the most dangerous man of the Marvel universe - because of his superior strategic genius and the money and the knowledge to use it for his goals! That's the Black Panther ... for me ... 

PS: Some always think Tony Stark ist the Bruce Wayne of Marvel (and of course there are some similarities - the playboy, the billionaire, the technology). But for real, Tony Stark is the Lex Luthor of Marvel - but not as bad as Luthor, just very shady, deficient and megalomanic. 

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eyz
@Frobin said:
I don't like the direction Marvel took with T'Challa now. During Civil War I really loved his role as dissident against Tony Stark, the only real opponent in terms of money and strategic genius.  Then I also liked the way to make him more similar to Dr. Doom - which means bringing in the magic. The Black Panther is a very mythological character, but Wakanda is based on superior technology ... this is to me a really cool way to connect both.  For a short time I think it could be a good part of T'Challas personal history to be a urban street fighter. But in the long run, the Black Panther is - and should be - Marvel's Bruce Wayne, like Batman - the most dangerous man of the Marvel universe - because of his superior strategic genius and the money and the knowledge to use it for his goals! That's the Black Panther ... for me ...  PS: Some always think Tony Stark ist the Bruce Wayne of Marvel (and of course there are some similarities - the playboy, the billionaire, the technology). But for real, Tony Stark is the Lex Luthor of Marvel - but not as bad as Luthor, just very shady, deficient and megalomanic. 
Same here.. They've been trying to revamp him like a Batman, an Iron Man-wannabee, and a Daredevil now...
He was original enough and had quite an interesting mythos. They should try selling him on his originality not trying to adapt him for other audiences..
ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ArtJoker

sweet cannot wait

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997
@cosmo111687 said:
@doordoor123 said:

He's angry because little kids keep confusing him with Batman.
Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Atari_Graphics
@chalkshark said:

Perfectly stated.
Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Golden Cod
@Michiel76 said:
@cosmo111687 said:
@Michiel76 said:
Quoted for truth.
That is so so so true.   Marvel needs to stop applying its "heroes you can relate to" adage to T'Challa because it's just not working.   On the topic of international problems, I think the only books that have attempted to tackle them are Ultimate Iron Man and the Authority from DC's Wildstorm imprint.   Ultimate Iron Man only touched on the subject briefly.   The Authority on the other hand was all about solving the world's problems.   The roster also featured a gay couple (stand-ins for Bats and Supes no less) and a later on a former Muslim suicide bomber.

The reason why DC and Marvel don't write more stories dealing with these issues is because they're not a safe source of revenue.   Lets be honest, superhero stories are about escapism and the closer you get to reality, the harder it is to write a good story and get consistent revenue.   Your stories have to actually involve politics, civilian dissension, intrusive news media, and a host of other issues that your typical comic gets to gloss over in favor of battle scenes.   Slugging it out to victory is the biggest thing you can't take for granted in this type of story.   How do you slug it out with a melting reactor?   Can a hero realistically beat up every Taliban when there's no clean-cut line to differentiate them?   

I'm not saying that these types of stories can't be interesting, but there's a surprising number of constraints for this category.
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By fodigg

I loved the BET black panther series, and that had him as the ruler of wakanda. I'm not saying he's bad as a street level character, but I think he's best as an international ruler. Wakanda has streets too, after all.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CATPANEXE

Don't make T'Challa very, very angry.
You wouldn't like him when he's very, very angry.

* cricket chirps *

K. looks like a fun comic, I'll go back in my corner now >.>

Avatar image for emperormeister734
Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

Its been a big year for him, but I'm still not clear on how he lost the throne of Wakanda

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By AgeofHurricane
@HexThis: She is back
Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Michiel76
@Golden Cod said:

That is so so so true.   Marvel needs to stop applying its "heroes you can relate to" adage to T'Challa because it's just not working.   On the topic of international problems, I think the only books that have attempted to tackle them are Ultimate Iron Man and the Authority from DC's Wildstorm imprint.   Ultimate Iron Man only touched on the subject briefly.   The Authority on the other hand was all about solving the world's problems.   The roster also featured a gay couple (stand-ins for Bats and Supes no less) and a later on a former Muslim suicide bomber.   The reason why DC and Marvel don't write more stories dealing with these issues is because they're not a safe source of revenue.   Lets be honest, superhero stories are about escapism and the closer you get to reality, the harder it is to write a good story and get consistent revenue.   Your stories have to actually involve politics, civilian dissension, intrusive news media, and a host of other issues that your typical comic gets to gloss over in favor of battle scenes.   Slugging it out to victory is the biggest thing you can't take for granted in this type of story.   How do you slug it out with a melting reactor?   Can a hero realistically beat up every Taliban when there's no clean-cut line to differentiate them?     I'm not saying that these types of stories can't be interesting, but there's a surprising number of constraints for this category. 

Of course you are right, it would not be easy, and it takes a great writer to write such a story, still it has been done before.  I would not recommend to let the story take place in actual Egypt and have our heroes stand on tahrir square in between the populace.
But i could see a story happening in Wakanda where the populace is being influenced by a certain force and asking for change and reject their government.
Or a neighbouring country is in a civil war, one side using children as soldiers while on the other side ethnic cleansing is taking place.
I just ask for some different stories, take some risks instead of always telling the same hero beats badguy story over and over again.
As a side note, Captain America has featured in countless stories about WWII. sure it was more black and white, right and wrong were more apparent, but i think a story could be done involving the taliban. And having a muslim hero on the team would make this even more interesting.
But i agree it's a huge risk and could be a disaster, but i'm convinced a good writer could pull it off.
Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blueninjapanther

whatever Black Panther is the king or the street level is fine by me

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By waruikumo

T'Challa is one of my favorite marvel characters.  I just really wish they would keep african american writers on the book.  I absolutely LOVED, Hudlin's run.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I wish they would keep these changes in effect for longer, it really doesn't do the idea justice.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Avengers_4everXX

I just want him on the Avnegers... the real ones. not with his fellow "street level" heroes on the New Avengers. He needs to be on theAvengers

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By Blackreverend

I want to see him back on his throne in Wakanda... He can get gritty on the Wakandan streets! There's so much more to work with in his own country as far as storytelling. Especially with the fragile state Wakanda has been brought to after Doom War. I love "Man Without Fear" but T'Challa needs to get back to his roots!

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Golden Cod
@Michiel76 said:
Of course you are right, it would not be easy, and it takes a great writer to write such a story, still it has been done before.  I would not recommend to let the story take place in actual Egypt and have our heroes stand on tahrir square in between the populace. But i could see a story happening in Wakanda where the populace is being influenced by a certain force and asking for change and reject their government. Or a neighbouring country is in a civil war, one side using children as soldiers while on the other side ethnic cleansing is taking place. I just ask for some different stories, take some risks instead of always telling the same hero beats badguy story over and over again. As a side note, Captain America has featured in countless stories about WWII. sure it was more black and white, right and wrong were more apparent, but i think a story could be done involving the taliban. And having a muslim hero on the team would make this even more interesting. But i agree it's a huge risk and could be a disaster, but i'm convinced a good writer could pull it off.

I like your idea of using Marvel's fictional countries as stand-ins for real ones because that frees the writers from having to be fully politically correct.   I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed to see something written along those lines.   I'm thinking this type of story would more likely appear an independent imprint or a subsidiary imprint of the Big Two (Marve's MAX and DC's Vertigo/Wildstorm).   

On a tangent, your description of a civil war between a faction using child soldiers and another conducting ethnic cleansing sounds like a story that you'd find Hideo Kojima's Big Boss in.   Kojima's characters thrive on ambiguity and questions of morality.
gerredboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gerredboy

I've never cared about Black Panther much until he took over the Daredevil book and I realize now I have been missing out for years. This character is awesome.

Avatar image for unbreakableburr
unbreakableburr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By unbreakableburr

During all of this is he still married to Ororo? I'm so confused.

Konami_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Konami_Fox

From a King to the streets of America .. as a African American Historian, yall may not know how deep this movement is. This is why I love the writers of Black Panther. "When you were in caves we were charting the stars" -T' Challa, Black Panther Civil War