Posted by G-Man (30640 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has always had numerous titles featuring the younger characters in the Marvel Universe. We've had titles such as NEW MUTANTS, NEW X-MEN and recently AVENGERS ACADEMY. While it wasn't always a walk in the park for the younger characters, it was safe for the most part. Some have seen their share of violence but that will be nothing compared to what's coming up.

Last week we saw the mysterious teaser with blood splattered letters but no clue what it was about. Today, Marvel has revealed what that means.

Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker will be giving us AVENGERS ARENA. What the heck is that about? It's going to be about death.

Arcade, the funny guy with a bowtie that previously was responsible for kidnapping people and putting them in his Murderworld will be targeting 16 young heroes. Murderworld is moving to its own island. According to Marvel:

There’s only one item on the itinerary for this nightmarish getaway: Kill or be killed.
== TEASER ==

Sounds a little like...The Hunger Games but I'm actually okay with that.

In an interview with Hopeless, he points out that in the past, there weren't really a lot of murders happening in Arcade's Murderworld.

I don't want to give too much away, but I can promise a lot of murder in this new Murder World.

Who will the contestants be? You can see from the image above that we will finally see the return of Darkhawk! Hopefully he'll be able to survive. We'll also be seeing X-23, Hazmat, Mettle, Reptil from AVENGERS ACADEMY and Nico and Chase from RUNAWAYS among others.

Maybe it's not such a good thing that these characters are returning in this series. This will definitely be an interesting read. Let's hope we don't see too many senseless killings of our favorite characters.

Read more over at Marvel.

Staff
#1 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

lame, i thought it was going to be a punisher title judging from the text, also comicvine should put up the new Thunderbolts title that was announced yesterday! punisher is in it! :D

#3 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not suppose to be like the hunger games.It's suppose to be like the battle royal because of the red markers on the poster.

#4 Posted by Mutie199 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Avengers i care about. And i guess the story will be Battle Royale/Hunger Games type. i just hope it's good

#5 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

If Mettle or Hazmat die I will be so pissed... but it'll probably happen to bring us that "my lover is deeeeeeaaaaad!" angst we love so much...

I couldn't care less if "Wolverine with boobs" kicks the bucket, but do we really need to pointlessly kill off well liked characters? Unless the writing in this issue is anything less than perfect, I can't see fans of these characters being pleased. Hopefully anyone that does get killed only spends a short time in comic limbo before being brought back.

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

x-23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Posted by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

well something with x-23 is better than nothing.............

#8 Posted by TitanTempest (347 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they dont kill Nico and Chase.... That would suck, I love the Runaways!!! lol

#9 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I try to give everything the benefit of the doubt and not judge it from what I've seen of it until I've actually read it. But this really strikes me the wrong way. I'll skip over how I have no idea how this concept can be an ongoing series rather than just a storyarc, and instead just say that this seems like a microcosm of what is wrong with Marvel (and all comics to a larger extent) at the moment. It seems to me that Marvel thinks that the best way to bring in readers is with death, destruction, and just tormenting characters. It's one thing to have a big crossover each year where its a given that somebody is going to die, but now we're actually going to have an ongoing series where the entire concept behind it is "a character that some of you have grown attached to is going to die on a regular basis." It just strikes me as a message from Marvel saying "hey we know that this is what all of you like," and honestly that's not the case. I'm not saying you can't kill off characters, there are some great storylines out there that resulted in the death of characters, but to do this just because you think it will make a successful book is something of an insult to the fans of these characters. And given that Marvel has had a history recently of having trouble keeping the ratings up for books staring younger characters, this really seems to be what they're mindset was going into this idea. It is frustrating to think that they look at a book like Avenger's Academy, which was about a group of kids who were likely to turn into supervillains dealing with powers that were killing them, and they thought the problem with it was that it wasn't dark enough.

And just to finish off I'll say that maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't think all comics should be depressing. Not saying they should all be happiness and sunshine, but books like this just show the world getting so dark that I no longer feel the joy that I felt when I used to read comics. I'll just put it to everyone like this, the Avengers this summer was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a movie theater and when I was in that audience everyone was cheering and applauding, and its not because they killed one character in there, its because it was heroes doing what we want to see heroes do and because it was uplifting.

#10 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

The Runaways is the only Marvel book I've ever read, so I have a great attachment to its characters, and I might buy this just to see Nico and Chase.

That being said, if Nico dies I will never touch another Marvel book ever.

#11 Posted by ARMIV2 (8282 posts) - - Show Bio

So this is how Arcade makes it back into comics...

#12 Posted by Icarusflies (12459 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are those two with the red X on the their faces?

#14 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

God I hope none of the Runaways characters die in this. I don't want my all time favorite team to die.

Also is Hopeless going to explain the stuff that's been happening with them recently ? Like how Chase survived getting hit by a truck, cause the two issue's they were in Avenger's Academy were terrible.

#15 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Hunger Games, what?

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay all you hunger games fans, unless you're willing to call hunger games a rip off of the countless stories of gladiatorial combat that came before it or the few thousand years of it actually happening in real life then you can't really call this a rip off of that.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32680 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Edited by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

It really sounds pretty messed up to take new characters and put them in a book just to have them kill each other off. Also really sounds desperate for ideas they clearly wanted to evoke Hunger Games but probably suspected that they would sue so they ended up using Battle Royale imagery instead not many original ideas at Marvel.

#19 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

"Lets kill off some niche favs and piss off the fans who already haven't lost their minds after reading AvX"

This is what I'm assuming went through the Architects mind when reading this

#20 Posted by oldstevens (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

Hunger Games, what?

I was going to say it reminds me more of Battle Royal. I'll be honest I'll give this a try for a couple of issues and see what happens.

#21 Posted by TheHeat (450 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldstevens said:

@Babs said:

Hunger Games, what?

I was going to say it reminds me more of Battle Royal. I'll be honest I'll give this a try for a couple of issues and see what happens.

As long X-23 doesn't get killed!

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Dernman (14729 posts) - - Show Bio

So what The Darkhawk plot is just going to disappear?  I hope Justin and his sentinel do not die.

#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92536 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

"Lets kill off some niche favs and piss off the fans who already haven't lost their minds after reading AvX"

This is what I'm assuming went through the Architects mind when reading this

AHAHAHA. So much win right here.

#26 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

EXXXXXCCCCCIIIIIIIITTTTTTEEEEEEEDDDDDDD.

#27 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Eivion (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I think this is the first time any premise I've seen for comics since I started reading in the last few years has actively pissed me off. Pretty much no chance in hell I'm buying this.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32680 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

Okay all you hunger games fans, unless you're willing to call hunger games a rip off of the countless stories of gladiatorial combat that came before it or the few thousand years of it actually happening in real life then you can't really call this a rip off of that.

Nope but I can call it a rip-off of this:
#30 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

That sounds damn dark...

#31 Posted by LifePool (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems interesting actually, I'll be getting it.

#32 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

People, check out Battle Royale. It predates Hunger Games by nearly a decade.

#33 Posted by Gonzo33 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Avengers Academy continuing into Marvel Now? It's recently become one of my favourite comics

#34 Posted by judasnixon (6182 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo! Marvel! While you're at it why not an Ichi the Killer inspired comic! I would buy the sh*t out of that comic!
#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: By that logic I can call that a rip off of some of the Mojo story lines from the 80s and 90s where its shown that the entire mojoverse pretty much revolves around televised gladiatorial combat. Which could be considered a rip off of countless other stories as well.

#36 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, ten bucks says that they kill some no name characters, release X-23's trigger scent. her friends stop her, then the all team up an break out, this is to much like a mini series to be a successful ongoing because X-23 can't die, Hazmat and Mettle are too popular to be killed and so are Nico and Chase. This will last twenty issues max.

That being said, if this replaces Avengers Academy, I will be angry.

#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32680 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: By that logic I can call that a rip off of some of the Mojo story lines from the 80s and 90s where its shown that the entire mojoverse pretty much revolves around televised gladiatorial combat. Which could be considered a rip off of countless other stories as well.

You mean you don't see the exact replica of that poster?
#38 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: That's ignorant. I'm sorry, it's just flat out ignorant. I'm not defending AA, because I haven't a clue what it's about, but the idea that a story "needs to be told" is ignorant. In truth, NO story, ever, NEEDS to be told. And they certainly don't have to endure YOUR litmus test of what is an "acceptable" story. You, and people like you, are the ones who are responsible for the homogenization and watering down of storytelling. I'm flabbergasted by the arrogance and ignorance of your post.

#39 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

So the avengers are done killing everyone else so now they must fight!!!!....wait for it... EACHOTHER!

#40 Posted by Dedpool (299 posts) - - Show Bio

What i don't get is when did Darkhawk return from space?

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I see it and the poster wasn't Original when Battle Royal did it either.

#42 Edited by AlKusanagi (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Dammit Marvel, you just HAD to get me with the Battle Royale reference. I'm in!.

Also, EFF YEAH DARKHAWK!!!!!!!

#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

So the avengers are done killing everyone else so now they must fight!!!!....wait for it... EACHOTHER!

Super villains must be getting pretty bored in the 616 these days since Marvel doesn't seem to like using them anymore.

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32680 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: I see it and the poster wasn't Original when Battle Royal did it either.

If you say so dude
#46 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else picturing a room full of really depressed Marvel super villains complaining to each other that the good guys won't play with them anymore?

#47 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Is anyone else picturing a room full of really depressed Marvel super villains complaining to each other that the good guys won't play with them anymore?

I just see Ultron holding a cosmic rod in his hand, knocking on Pym's door going "Can Hank come out to play today?"

#48 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Not saying its a bad movie, just saying its not the first time its been done. But almost every movie, book, comic and video game now days is redoing something that's been done before anyway so its barely even an insult to say something isn't original anymore.

#49 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6013 posts) - - Show Bio

looks good. really excited for this.

#50 Edited by NuclearLife (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me, or does the girl with the X over her look like Mimic, or if he had a daughter.