Vertigo Obtains Rights To 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,' Announces New Ongoing Series

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The launch of the 'new 52' at DC Comics also led to the absorption of some of the Wildstorm and Vertigo properties into the DC regular universe. Since the start of September we have seen the launch of books like Stormwatch and Voodoo (formerly under the Wildstorm banner) and the integration of characters like Swamp Thing and John Constantine, formerly of the Vertigo Universe, become staples of the regular DCU. And while much of the focus has been on DC's "main" universe lately, it does not mean that the publisher has no plans to expand their Vertigo books.

No Caption Provided

Earlier today DC announced that Vertigo will be publishing two new projects starting in the coming year. The first will be an all new ongoing series titled 'Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child' starting in February, 2012. The series will be set in New Orleans, Louisiana and will deal with plenty of mystery, suspense and magic; jumping from the mid 19th Century to the present day.

New Orleans is also known as the most haunted city in America: a town of centuries-old ghosts and new spirits of those drowned by Katrina; where Loup Garous, Vampires and Voodoo Spirits make their home. Ruling over all of this are the powerful Voodoo Queens, maintaining a delicate balance between the mortal and supernatural worlds, and whose influence stretches into politics, business and crime. But today, everything has changed. The Queen has been murdered and Tulane grad student Dominique Laveau is the number one suspect.

The book will be written by Selwyn Seyfu Hinds, former Editor-in-Chief of The Source and illustrated by Denys Cowan. This isn't the first time the creative team has worked together, either. These two have recently written a prelude story in Vertigo horror anthology The Unexpected #1 which will be available in stores tomorrow.

== TEASER ==

For a closer look at the upcoming series check out the images below courtesy of MTV.

No Caption Provided

Additionally, DC recently obtained the rights to publish the graphic novel adaptations to writer Stieg Larsson's 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' as well as the book's sequels. According to the announcement, DC will be publishing the graphic novel adaptation to 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' through their Vertigo imprint and presently have plans to release the book sometime in 2012. The publisher also plans to publish the sequels 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' in 2012, and 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest' in 2014, wrapping up the series.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

For a full preview visit MTV.

Source: Vertigo

VinnyWeapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VinnyWeapons

Cool, both of those look/sound pretty interesting.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Always welcome news to get something new at Vertigo and both sound good.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

So, can anyone give me a run down on what this series is about? I've hear a lot about it, but never really figured out what it was about...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Awwh yeah, and I am probably the only fan of the books here =( 

@aztek_the_lost said:

I was kind of planning on avoiding that Girl franchise but now it looks like that won't be happening, I want to know who's the artist though

Hinds/Cowan's story "Case 21" in the Strange Adventures anthology was great so I'm looking forward to this book...finally Vertigo lives again!

Please watch the original movies first before the American remake if you plan on not avoiding =( 

Plus, you'll really like it. Its like about this hot Scandinavian bisexual social misfit with a massive dragon on her occasionally naked back tasering thugs in their balls and all sorts of flirty fun 0_0 
Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wattup

You know what would be a cool Vertigo mini? An unflinching look at the Brain and Monsieur Mallah romance. Seriously, what is up with those two?!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#7  Edited By The Poet

huh...I have shelved that series before at the libbrary...perhaps I'll read it at some point...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wow, I might have to check these out.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
@ReVamp said:

So, can anyone give me a run down on what this series is about? I've hear a lot about it, but never really figured out what it was about...

Its about two characters sort of, a male journalist and a female computer hacker. Girl is sort of anti social, but pretty cool, then they both sort of come together in first book to solve a missing persons case that is linked to these murders. Its character strong work yes? Good story though, some grim and adult topics covered though. Serious focused on Lizbeth (hacker) more and more as series goes on, which is good, she is pretty interesting. Hope that helps a tiny bit?  Ask any questions if you want. Movie got a lot of attention, outside Scandinavia for having a pretty realistic therefore brutal rape scene. Also a lot of discussion because there is going to be an American remake. (well, so soon)
Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC: I'm currently reading dragon tattoo. It"s really interesting so far.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator
@GiantsizeManThing said:

@SC: I'm currently reading dragon tattoo. It"s really interesting so far.

*nods* I liked it. Cool and interesting protagonists. Glad you like it too. 
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Decept-O

@Wattup said:

You know what would be a cool Vertigo mini? An unflinching look at the Brain and Monsieur Mallah romance. Seriously, what is up with those two?!

Makes the mind wonder on that one! *shudders*

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost said:

I doubt you're the only one, that franchise is like the hottest thing since burnt toast

I'm surprised DC would allow it to go under one of their imprints but I guess the brand is so popular they don't need the DC logo to sell it

And I tried to get myself to watch the first movie once but it looks SOOOO boring. I know Rorie is/was always going on about it over at Screened but it just didn't like my thing. Since I have to read them comic, as it's Vertigo, I will probably see the movies. The originals of course since the remakes aren't bringing it into a modern setting or anything, I mean they were basically made simultaneously.

Oh is it? I had no idea. Like three years ago I was talking to a Norwegian online about comics and she recommended this book to me, and so like I read them and liked them, and watched the sub titled movies when I got opportunity. Then like two years later I noticed people talking about it now and then around CV and Deviant Art.  

... you know there are always the books... (though you should learn Swedish or Norwegian to read those,since I heard translation was a bit eh.. wait which mod was around those parts?) Oh and movies at least to me got more interesting. Then again, I do have a thing for anti social gothic Scandinavian women so.. *shrugs* 
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By MrUnknown

I haven't watched the movies but the books are awesome!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#17  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@SC: you think Lizbeth is hot??? o.O her naked body creeps me out like crazy and she has like super weird boobs >.<

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Feliciano2040

This is weird, for a moment I thought Dynamite had bought the rights, to which I said "How odd of them" (sarcastically).

Then I read again and saw it was Vertigo, and then I was like "wuuuuut ?"

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By B'Town

Stieg Larsson! I'm a fan. DO THE MAN justice, Veritgo.

I've read each of the books twice and will gladly pull these graphic novels. So, happy.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Silkcuts
@aztek_the_lost: So Vertigo has officially sold out again...lol
Movie tie-ins like Tank Girl and Sleepy Hollow were long forgotten mistakes, now this....
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator
@pikahyper said:

@SC: you think Lizbeth is hot??? o.O her naked body creeps me out like crazy and she has like super weird boobs >.<

Maybe my imagination is better? Oh wait are you talking about Lizbeth or Noomi? lol I was talking about Lizbeth, the character, oh well, Noomi is pretty good looking as well?   

First you question why she is hot... and then you list the reasons that she is hot? *laughter* Oh wait...   

Oh, I think I might know? Well see in the books, Lizbeth had a certain tough look to her, so when Noomi Rapace was preparing for the movie, she tried to put on a lot more muscle, and make her body look a bit more tomboyish than feminine, so she lost her curves and got a bit more muscular, (I think I heard she did weeks of thai kickboxing to help re-sculpt) so maybe that is why? You might prefer her look more normally when she is more... delicate. TBH I am not really a good barometer of these things *red*
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#22  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@SC: Noomi, she has weird boobs and on really skinny women with smaller breasts they always get that super creepy rippled skin between the boobs which she has in spades, oh and she has a boys butt >.< the kickboxing definitely doesn't help though.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost said:

@SC: It reminds me of when someone recommended me to read Twilight (I didn't end up reading it), I had no idea what it was but then when someone pointed it out to me, I realized it was a hot new thang, I think it's like that with books, you know? I don't really buy books that are popular, mostly just books that someone recommended to me once or series that I started reading in the library back in junior high and they still haven't finished (looking at you Wheel of Time)...but yeah, once I went over to Screened and heard Rorie going on about that franchise all of a sudden I started seeing it pop up everywhere, on my sidebar at Amazon, at the convenience store it was the only book on display as I was going to pick up my mail, stuff like that.

fesak is Svedish...again though, I'll try to get into the franchise but I might just read the comic first (if that's okay?); since I know I'm going to read the comic, I figure if I like it (or not) I'll know whether or not I should check out the books/movies...it's not like you can't enjoy things in multiple mediums...I HAVE!

I thought I was the only one who liked the live action Howard the Duck movie?  

Oh Fesak is Svedish?!?! This explains so much... lol  

*nods* Hope the comic is good.  

Oh and I know what you mean about books and popularity. For me it was the same but swap books with people... uhm... 
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@SC said:
@aztek_the_lost said:

I doubt you're the only one, that franchise is like the hottest thing since burnt toast

I'm surprised DC would allow it to go under one of their imprints but I guess the brand is so popular they don't need the DC logo to sell it

And I tried to get myself to watch the first movie once but it looks SOOOO boring. I know Rorie is/was always going on about it over at Screened but it just didn't like my thing. Since I have to read them comic, as it's Vertigo, I will probably see the movies. The originals of course since the remakes aren't bringing it into a modern setting or anything, I mean they were basically made simultaneously.

Oh is it? I had no idea. Like three years ago I was talking to a Norwegian online about comics and she recommended this book to me, and so like I read them and liked them, and watched the sub titled movies when I got opportunity. Then like two years later I noticed people talking about it now and then around CV and Deviant Art.   ... you know there are always the books... (though you should learn Swedish or Norwegian to read those,since I heard translation was a bit eh.. wait which mod was around those parts?) Oh and movies at least to me got more interesting. Then again, I do have a thing for anti social gothic Scandinavian women so.. *shrugs* 

Translation of the titles are... well the original title of the first book is Men Who Hate Women, second book has the accurate title, third book is The Air Castle That Exploded.
The titles are supposed to be ambiguous and the translation doesn't really reflect that. Haven't read the books in english, but I've heard that the translations are pretty bad.
Omegalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Omegalpha

New Vertigo ongoing, sweetness. Love Cowan's work. Hopefully, it does not get canned quick.

I will probably end up reading the Millennium trilogy in this format, as well.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SC  Moderator
@fesak said:
The titles are supposed to be ambiguous and the translation doesn't really reflect that. Haven't read the books in english, but I've heard that the translations are pretty bad.

Oh yeah, I heard, well was told by a friend that a lot of the subtlety was lost. I have only read English translations. A shame really since I did enjoy those but did feel I was missing out some by not reading stories as writer intended. Plus my Norwegian and Swedish is very lacking. I only know how to say Hello, Goodbye, Goodnight, Help, I have been robbed and girl you must be a tired angel, after falling though my mind all day... *cue confusion* so uhm.. like I was saying...  

Oh and thanks Fesak!! *grin*
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#27  Edited By The Impersonator

Nice!

Izaiah

Forum Posts