The New Avengers Head Into INFINITY

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Earlier this week Marvel released a teaser for AVENGERS #18 with the tagline, "Nothing Lasts Forever." With the upcoming Infinity crossover, it's not just the Avengers jumping into the action. The New Avengers will be involved as well.

Marvel has released another teaser this morning showing more of the coming threat.

No Caption Provided

This August, superstar writer Jonathan Hickman is joined by fan-favorite artist Mike Deodato to pit the Illuminati against their biggest threat yet in New Avengers #9! Tying into the blockbuster event of the summer, Infinity, New Avengers #9 shows fans what new threats lie beyond the edges of the Marvel Universe!

With the Avengers fending off an intergalactic threat on the edges of the Marvel Universe, Earth becomes the most vulnerable planet in the system! Enter Thanos, the galaxy’s most ruthless threat and an unparalleled force of brutality who brings order to the chaos of life through murder. Earth’s last hope may lie in the hands of a man who can level cities with a single whisper – Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans. But is the combined might of the clandestine group of Avengers enough to push back Thanos and his deadly group of lieutenants – the Cull Obsidian?

"As with Avengers, Jonathan’s issues of New Avengers are a critical part of the overall Infinity story. There are elements that were set into place in the earliest issues of the series that he and Deo will be paying off on here.” explained Executive Editor, Tom Brevoort, Marvel Entertainment. “You could maybe enjoy INFINITY without them, but you’re really not going to want to."

This August, the intensity of Infinity is turned up a notch as Hickman and Deodato show the power of the Mad Titan in New Avengers #9!

NEW AVENGERS #9

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art & Cover by MIKE DEODATO

ON SALE AUGUST 2013!

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

"As with Avengers, Jonathan’s issues of New Avengers are a critical part of the overall Infinity story. There are elements that were set into place in the earliest issues of the series that he and Deo will be paying off on here.” explained Executive Editor, Tom Brevoort, Marvel Entertainment. “You could maybe enjoy INFINITY without them, but you’re really not going to want to."

So, are non-New Avengers reader going to be missing out on a lot of important details? Does anyone have any ideas on this?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SO MUCH AWESOME

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've heard the being called the Cult of Obsidian, the Cull Obsidian, and the Dark Order.

Which one is it?

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

Wow will have to buy this tie-in as well now looks so good.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'the New Avengers will discover what lies beyond the Marvel Universe'... wait is that DOOMSDAY in the middle?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DonFelipe

This will be so much better than Bendis' Age of Ultron! Those teasers and the fcbd preview are pretty cool and I really like the new characters and evil servants of Thanos - badass Corvus Glaive and the Outriders.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Based on his Avengers work, I have serious doubts about whether "superstar writer Jonathan Hickman" has what it takes to pull off a blockbuster. He's produced a snoozefest so far.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kid_apollo: No, a new character called Black Dwarf. Does look a bit like him, though.

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vPuik

This will be even more to read that AoU, but I still need to get it. I think I read in one of the previews or interviews that the main story is split between 6 issues of avengers, 4 issues of New Evengers and 6 issues of Infinity limited series. Anyone else remember seeing that?

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Ick. Marvel just can't let a good book last without watering it down with the garbage from the rest of the Marvel U. I love Hickman, but New Avengers is the only good Marvel book he has going right now. Avengers is bad, and the Infinity teaser we got was even worse.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

'the New Avengers will discover what lies beyond the Marvel Universe'... wait is that DOOMSDAY in the middle?

yes. :D

@kerrigan said:

Based on his Avengers work, I have serious doubts about whether "superstar writer Jonathan Hickman" has what it takes to pull off a blockbuster. He's produced a snoozefest so far.

I kind of agree about Avengers, but New Avengers has been pretty good.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

"As with

Avengers

Jonathan’s issues of New Avengers are a critical part of the overall Infinity story.

There are elements that were set into place in the earliest issues of the series that he and Deo will be paying off on here.” explained Executive Editor, Tom Brevoort, Marvel Entertainment.

“You could maybe enjoy INFINITY without them, but you’re really not going to want to."

So, are non-New Avengers reader going to be missing out on a lot of important details? Does anyone have any ideas on this?

That certainly sounds like his marketing pitch. Separately though, I'm a little uneasy about how they're portraying Thanos thus far. It doesn't seem consistent with the character we last saw in his own series, Annihilation or even in the Thanos Imperative. I'm interested - but leery that Hickman may write him as some unthinking, blood-thirsty monster and not the cool, calculating maestro of illicit means.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#13  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

So looking forward to this. I'm sure this will be the better of the two Avenger tie-ins.

Lord_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just say "NO" to crossovers.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By wmwadeii

I still see Movie Prep.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#16  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Radical!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

"As with

Avengers

Jonathan’s issues of New Avengers are a critical part of the overall Infinity story.

There are elements that were set into place in the earliest issues of the series that he and Deo will be paying off on here.” explained Executive Editor, Tom Brevoort, Marvel Entertainment.

“You could maybe enjoy INFINITY without them, but you’re really not going to want to."

Yeah seriously. I've been reading Avengers, but not New Avengers. I don't want to miss anything...

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

eh, getting kind of tired of Marvel comics. I mean the current Age of Ultron is lack luster, to say the least. Hopefully this event will be a little more entertaining. But I might actually drop Marvel if their comics don't pick up soon. Don't want to waste time with mediocre comics.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JamDamage

sure glad I already read the Avenger titles or I'd be pissed off that I'm forced to buy more tie-ins.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

I'd say you should pick them up. It's Hickman, he likes to connect thing like that. Plus, if you're reading Avengers and NOT New Avengers that's a problem because New Avengers has actually been better then Avengers. I just hope you're all reading Uncanny Avengers because that Avengers title is even better then the Hickman Avengers. Good titles all around tho.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?disp=img&pid=1368130928

The interiors of this looks great

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Deodato is a fan favorite? First I've heard of it.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By DH69

Mike Deodato is a fan favorite? First I've heard of it.

his older stuff was great, lately he's just been paired with some pretty bad color/inkers

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69: Well, if you say so. I had an old Thor issue where on one page he mixed what characters were with Thor and what characters were in another scene. It was very unprofessional.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only Esad Ribic was doing the penciling for this Thanos event. He's the best comic artist, HANDS DOWN; just look at his current run with Thor: God of Thunder or the first 9 issues of Ultimate Comics: Ultimates.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This pretty much had me at Thanos to be quite honest. Kinda excited to see how this pans out.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: I agree. My excitement for Marvel stories has deteriated. Everything is repetition and they celebrate the mediocrity like its some brilliant venture. I realized my displeasure when I saw Ironman 3. I liked the movie as a fan of movies, I disliked it as a comic lover. It makes me second guess phase 2 quite a bit and just wait for redbox to help me with my decision on the upcoming films. Fantastic Four is taking entirely too long being a relatively famous group with one of marvels top known villains. Doom could easily be an avengers villain orr even a crossover plateau for different characters. I'd love to see Surfer (really), Sinister, Doom, Galactus and Venom really brought to life as core villains/characters. I'm not even opposed to Marvel doing a VILLAIN movie on any one of them. I'd actually enjoy it more. But I digress, I am truly jaded by Marvel. This isn't exciting.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29  Edited By McKlayn

@jaken7 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

"As with

Avengers

Yeah seriously. I've been reading Avengers, but not New Avengers. I don't want to miss anything...

Yea i am reading both, but New Avengers has been ALOT better, do yourself a favor and just pick it up its been pretty damn good, a slow grind kind of burn but ti fits the them unlike in the main Avengers title.

tim_mik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By tim_mik

I've slowly been dropping Marvel books from my sub list over the past 6 months and after coming in as an Avengers fan 7 years ago, I am no longer getting any team books. The FCBD Infinity issue wasn't interesting and I might skip my first event book ever.