• 51 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the end of January, Comic Vine ran an interview with the new writer of SWAMP THING Charles Soule where he discussed his plans for the character as well as who Alec Holland will be tangling with starting with issue #19. The reveal of that issue's cover showed us that Holland would be facing the Scarecrow, and in the interview writer Soule mentioned that the character will be interacting with the greater DC Universe as well. So who else would be making an appearance in the series? It seems today we got our answer. What could be more scary than The Scarecrow? Why, a possessed "Man of Steel," of course. Check out the Gatefold cover to SWAMP THING #19 below as well as the interview with Soule from January, here.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to SWAMP THING #19? Are you looking forward to seeing where writer Charles Soule takes the character?

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2507 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes a change from always adding Batman to a book to draw readers in.

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (57736 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga said:

Neither of them are Batman :p
BB

#3 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, but the cover looked better on the original solicit.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (18197 posts) - - Show Bio

A possessed Superman? Like we haven't seen that before. I hope this Soules guy can do something interesting with this team up but there will be obvious comparisons to the Moore Superman/Swamp Thing team up.

#5 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1098 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell YES!! This looks incredible. The gatefold covers from DC have gotten me nothing but excited.

#6 Posted by Pixel_Kaiser (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Until I zoomed in, it looked like Superman had bucked teeth...

Anyway, I'm sort of bored with the whole dark and scary looking Superman thing they've tried selling since the start of the New 52. It's ridiculously childish, that's not the Superman I want.

#7 Posted by noj (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

probably the least shocking WTF reveal out of all the revealed covers so far but still kinda cool.

#8 Posted by dondave (34224 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking this up

#9 Posted by Psycho_Soldier (112 posts) - - Show Bio

it fails to appeal me  
is like they tried to mash 2 covers together but it end up as unconnected parts

#10 Posted by Mucklefluga (2507 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Mucklefluga said:

BB

huh??

#11 Posted by JamDamage (1108 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow needs his hat back.

#12 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! Love it when Scarecrow gets a chance to shine. Not enough stories where he masterminds.

#13 Posted by iaconpoint (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Mucklefluga said:

BB

I'm pretty sure he meant it's a change since neither of them are Batman even though Batman is usually the "go to" guest star.

Kinda lost interest in this book, but I may re-add it. This looks pretty good.

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57736 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Mucklefluga said:

BB

huh??

Those are Scarecrow and Superman, no?
BB

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57736 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaconpoint said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Mucklefluga said:

BB

I'm pretty sure he meant it's a change since neither of them are Batman even though Batman is usually the "go to" guest star.

Kinda lost interest in this book, but I may re-add it. This looks pretty good.

Bah, misread <_<
BB

#16 Posted by iaconpoint (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Haha! We all do that sometimes bro. No biggie!

#17 Posted by impossibilly (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why DC is leaking the full covers. I was intrigued by the idea of having a surprise waiting for me with the WTF month gatefold covers. I thought it was a really cool idea. But now I'm not sure I understand the point of it all if DC is going to ruin the surprise a month in advance.

As for the Swamp Thing cover itself, it's a very cool illustration.

#18 Posted by fACEmelter88 (608 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Geoff Johns stop writing this series?

#19 Posted by SaintG (66 posts) - - Show Bio

It would of been a whole lot better if batman or joker was on the cover instead of supes, just doesn't make sense.

#20 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pixel_Kaiser said:

Until I zoomed in, it looked like Superman had bucked teeth...

Anyway, I'm sort of bored with the whole dark and scary looking Superman thing they've tried selling since the start of the New 52. It's ridiculously childish, that's not the Superman I want.

That's all I can see now

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (57736 posts) - - Show Bio

@fACEmelter88 said:

When did Geoff Johns stop writing this series?

He never wrote it...
BB

#22 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me or is Superman's teeth bugging you too?

#23 Posted by Pixel_Kaiser (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14: You're welcome. =P

#24 Edited by Mezmero (898 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Alec faced his greatest fears in the Rotworld timeline. I'm not sure what Scarecrow could throw at him than could be scarier than a future where Abby becomes a monstrosity of the rot and where the world population have been reduced to feral zombie creatures. He even faced becoming the Swamp Thing for the second time in a moment of utter despair. If anything I want to see the full potential of an earth elemental as a super hero get explored in this title. I want Swampy to get a little more creative with his powers than just forming melee weapons and attacking head on. I don't envy any writer who has to follow up what Scott Snyder has done.

#25 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: it are his lips lol

#26 Posted by NightFang (9851 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mezmero said:

I feel like Alec faced his greatest fears in the Rotworld timeline. I'm not sure what Scarecrow could throw at him than could be scarier than a future where Abby becomes a monstrosity of the rot and where the world population have been reduced to feral zombie creatures. He even faced becoming the Swamp Thing for the second time in a moment of utter despair. If anything I want to see the full potential of an earth elemental as a super hero get explored in this title. I want Swampy to get a little more creative with his powers than just forming melee weapons and attacking head on. I don't envy any writer who has to follow up what Scott Snyder has done.

This.

#27 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

A possessed Superman? Like we haven't seen that before. I hope this Soules guy can do something interesting with this team up but there will be obvious comparisons to the Moore Superman/Swamp Thing team up.

this im tired of non superman writers treating him like an idiot

#28 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Jonathan Crane Scarecrow, because when I click on the link it takes me to another charter by the same name.

#29 Posted by mightypug78 (337 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver: probably tagged it wrong

#30 Posted by Perfect 10 (961 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14: they been doing it longer than that. smallville since season 6 or 7 was very dark. they figure batman is dark and is a success everything has to be that way. im right with you, dc is so out of touch

#31 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Perfect 10 said:

@Mbecks14: they been doing it longer than that. smallville since season 6 or 7 was very dark. they figure batman is dark and is a success everything has to be that way. im right with you, dc is so out of touch

Good point...not relevant to my comment here haha but this weirdly is relevant to my comment about Injustice: Gods Among Us

#32 Posted by natewhite192 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

im liking the art

#33 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7528 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Swampy keeps going good.

#34 Posted by tensor (3854 posts) - - Show Bio

No i will pass.I would love to know how superman get possessed by scare crow

#35 Posted by saoakden (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

What's Superman doing here?

#36 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this, hope that the series is in good hands

#37 Edited by frochez (194 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: I was just thinking that. Surely the whole point of the gatefolds is that it's a surprise? You should be able to buy them, and not know what you're getting until you open it up and go 'AH! Holy s*&£!' or, as seems more likely 'AH!- uh...huh.' While having interesting covers is an attraction, they would sell more copies if they kept the reveal a secret before publication.

Also, why is superman being possessed by Bugs Bunny?

#38 Posted by ANDRELO (15 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks great,

#39 Posted by impossibilly (883 posts) - - Show Bio

@frochez said:

While having interesting covers is an attraction, they would sell more copies if they kept the reveal a secret before publication.

Also, why is superman being possessed by Bugs Bunny?

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't let DC plan any surprise parties.

Those are two super front teeth Kal-L is sporting.

#40 Posted by bladewolf (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...add another one to my pull list...

#41 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

Is it me or is Superman's teeth bugging you too?

Take a close look, it's just is lower lip. It looks really weird though. Scarecrow's scythe looks a little bit over-sized, too.

I still don't really know what to make of all these April covers?

April Fool's Joke Month - WTF Certified. Is DC making one big, month-long joke?

#42 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the first Swamp Thing since the reboot that has failed to appeal to me off the bat. Sure, it's the first one after the end of a long storyline, but I don't know why Swampy would be fighting Scarecrow or why Superman would either. If it was a villain with a more natualistic bent to them like Poison Ivy or Killer Croc, even Clayface or Doctor Phosphorus an even an industrialist like Lex Luthor might make more sense to get Swampy's wrath.

#43 Posted by fragmentmind (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow....sigh...Batman rogues gain tooooo much credit. Scarecrow....Jonathan Crane...sigh...I'd feel better if it were a new enemy or something supernatural...

#44 Posted by Mowgli22 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

the cover looks awesome.

#45 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks badass tbh.

#46 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Possessed Superman? Nice...but still sad that Snyder no longer writes.

#47 Posted by bladewolf (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at this again, I totally noticed a continuity error. In the background, we see the Daily Planet building with its globe. In the New 52, however, the Daily Planet is gone, as is its globe, as of Superman #1 where i was replaced by Planet Global Network (PGN).

#48 Posted by wmwadeii (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing is not a title I read even though Ive heard good things. This might be a jumping on point for me like other DC titles ( Hawkman, Deathstroke) I usually start reading once a good crossover hooks me.

#49 Posted by ptigrusmagus (481 posts) - - Show Bio

As others have said Superman looks weird lol. But I'm intrigued... What is Scarecrow smoking for Swamp Thing to be having trouble with him? And Supes can't help? He's Supes.

#50 Posted by sdcoiner76 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@SaintG: It makes sense in the comic. Not gonna give anything away about what is going on.